• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Invasion wouldn't be awesome and it won't happen :D
IndianTear.gif

So why do we have human forge pieces on a forerunner aesthetic map?

Will they be avaliable for the whole set of forge enviroments? it'd be nice to mix things up a little imo.

Edit. please make a real night time FX, Reach's one made my eyes hurt lol

Haven't seen this mentioned, but a few days ago Nerdist (great site and great podcasts) posted a Halo 4 giveaway. Grand prize is:

• 1 Halo 4 series 1 box set signed by Todd McFarlane,
  • 1 Halo 4 t-shirt
  • 1 UNSC shopping bag
  • complete set of series 1 action figures (4 figures)
  • complete set of MicroOps blister pack playsets (6 playsets)
  • 1 MicroOps Highground Gate boxed playset
  • complete set of Halo Avatar figures (8 figures)

Go here to enter and check out the site. Nerdist is one of my favorite overall finds of this year.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but a few days ago Nerdist (great site and great podcasts) posted a Halo 4 giveaway. Grand prize is:

• 1 Halo 4 t-shirt
  • 1 UNSC shopping bag

Go here to enter and check out the site. Nerdist is one of my favorite overall finds of this year.

Thanks for the info!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

• 1 Halo 4 t-shirt
  • 1 UNSC shopping bag

Will enter. Their podcast with Alton Brown was great.

Here it is. The very definitely Human version of Lockout's BR tower.

9Suip.jpg
I'm not convinced this is a forge piece, though. It's identical to the structure in Abandon. Would be cool for a mega-reveal that all the maps we've seen were done in forge and that we hadn't even glimpsed the base maps yet. :p

Omni

I'm not convinced this is a forge piece, though. It's identical to the structure in Abandon. Would be cool for a mega-reveal that all the maps we've seen were done in forge and that we hadn't even glimpsed the base maps yet. :p

One on Abandon is more round, is it not? Besides, that's exactly the same (dimension wise) as the one in Reach forge. Would make sense if it were returning again.

One on Abandon is more round, is it not? Besides, that's exactly the same (dimension wise) as the one in Reach forge. Would make sense if it were returning again.
This is true. I wonder what the hold up is regarding forge news. I know they gave us a taste of what to expect already, but not many of the bigger questions were answered in that video.

Woorloog

Banned

No, it is not from Abandon. It is the three story tower from Reach, reskinned. Oh and that Reach model was straight from Lockout.

Its BR tower from Halo 2 Lockout, It was a forge item in Reach. Its a forge piece

JackHerer

I am hoping Forge news is coming any day now. Maybe they will use the weekly updates to give info about the 3 environments. Not many WUs left though so who knows how they will show it.

I am hoping Forge news is coming any day now. Maybe they will use the weekly updates to give info about the 3 environments. Not many WUs left though so who knows how they will show it.
598900_498965230113532_1305935674_n.jpg

Yes. It just seems strange that 343 was willing to basically reveal the rest of the game, but not blow the lid off of forge. Forge would have made the most sense to reveal because it doesn't spoil anything in the game, and yet it's somewhat of a mystery with less than a month before release. Does not compute.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nice video Dunc. I don't think I showed up in it (maybe when you panned across the panel attendees) but I'm glad you were able to get footage.

This is what you looked like to me:

IMG_5143.JPG

EDIT: By the way, you should have used the clip you were shooting here in the video! :p

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
North County Public Radio just played Under Cover of Night while interviewing Hal Holbrook about Mark Twain. Love catching this stuff.

Actually, I'd say it'll have more of an effect than that. That entire area pictured is inside with windows up the top and at the back. Depending on which way the light source is coming from, a lot more of that area would be darker. Not to mention the Forerunner bits we've seen in Halo 4 are more white, giving us even more contrast with the shadows.

Agreed the effect will be much more drastic. Also those aren't windows in the roof, they are the glass on the Platform, XXL upside down. :p

Yeah, it was definitely human architecture. Pipes and everything.

Random guess: all 3 Forge maps have a common basic Forge World object set with different art for each piece on that map. So the Ravine is Reach FW objects, Humanland has those objects but with Human appearance, and Covenant Forge World has purple rounded objects.

This would make the most sense, since by splitting the maps by theme grants you more RAM to fit the textures and models into, where if all 3 maps had the same appearance for the pieces there'd be no real point to making them separate maps.

I don't think this is the case, I think the forgeworld pieces will all be skinned with the one human aesthetic that we've seen on the Bunker, Rounds and the Tower, 3 Story, and every other piece from the Achievement Hunter video (Brace, Large/2x2 Ramp/Platform, Ramp/Platform, Large/Corner, 45 Degree/Bridge, Small/Window, Double/Bridge, Diagonal/etc). These forgeworld pieces will probably be available on all 3 forge environments. Then each forge environment will add its own set of objects relating to the aesthetic of the environment. This category was shown in the RTX demo. If you paused it while he was scrolling through the menus you could see "Ravine" as a structure category next to other categories like "Blocks".

This does kind of make sense, since the UNSC would be exploring these places and would setup a location for them to work with... so was the case of Abandon. Perhaps the forgeworld piece human aesthetic is particular to a Human Exploration Research sector of the UNSC, hence the experiments and "creatures" on Abandon and the similarities in aesthetic style.

So why do we have human forge pieces on a forerunner aesthetic map?

Will they be avaliable for the whole set of forge enviroments? it'd be nice to mix things up a little imo.

Edit. please make a real night time FX, Reach's one made my eyes hurt lol

The human forge pieces I speculated above. And I don't remember where and why exactly, but I was lead to believe that the forgeworld objects were universal to the Forge Environments in addition to a unique set of objects on each of the Forge Environments. And better FXs in general would be great. :)

Looks like everyone else already corrected you. :)

Video: HaloGAF at PAX Prime 2012

No gameplay here, just five minutes of HaloGaffers goofing around during PAX. Enjoy!

:)
Barlow Roll.

Watching now... But jeeez. I can't understand a word that the presenters are asking. That accent...
I'm glad they are at least talking about Halo 2 Anniversary. I really hope it happens.

If there's a God then we'll have it as part of the "Halo 2 Throwback Maptacular Extravaganza DLC Explosion 2013" for the first DLC pack.

Also, if they happen to name it that I expect SOME sort of royalties.
2014. Halo 2 Anniversary. Believe.

Do we know if the codes are on the bag or not. I'd rather not buy a bag of chips and have the code be worthless. Also, I have to confess that I have never had game fuel.

I don't have Jelly's offhand, but you can vote for mine here:

https://halo4remix.com/en_us/track/62617267 or on SoundCloud directly

also, halogaf should band together to vote for other halogaffer's remixes. It'd be cool to get more support from GAF in general!

Edit: Jellycrackers' remix is here:

http://soundcloud.com/steven-mcdonald/beyond-galaxy

Just hit "Favorite" to vote :)

edit 2: I don't believe Wahrer's remix was complete, and I don't know if Dopey wants his linked as is. I'll keep an eye out though.
Awesome, thanks Sai.

Yall were doing such a great job of keeping the thread going...and then the 4 am hour rolled around and NOTHING.
I was still awake because I couldn't sleep. Ended up enjoying some of my nightstand reading:
Both are excellent reads.

Watched the first episode of FUD over the weekend. Good stuff, but I'm gonna wait until all episodes are out and watch them all. Netflix has spoiled me good.

Swarmerr

I wonder how Reach would have played with visible armor abilities. Sure, AL would sill needed to have been nerfed (shorten max duration to <2 seconds, lengthen cd and lock your camera seem like the best options to me) but you wouldn't have had people getting smashed up in Ghosts unless they were stupid, or people getting into mere battles with AL if they could avoid it, or people wasting rockets. All the AAs would have been a lot more about situation reading, although I'm not sure if this would have slowed down or sped up the game

Would of made things a bit better. I know people always hated how in halo 2 you didn't know someone had rockets or sword till they pulled it out at the last second. In that regard halo 3 made a big improvement off of halo 2.

Beckx

Gamefly just shipped it out today. Can't wait.

My interest level on this game has gone up and down, but this quote from Polygon makes me very interested: "demands more than most games ever will of its player, and gives more to players than most other games will ever manage."

My interest level on this game has gone up and down, but this quote from Polygon makes me very interested: "demands more than most games ever will of its player, and gives more to players than most other games will ever manage."

That's good to hear.

I hate to say it, but my hype for H4 has drowned any hype I have for other games.

TheOddOne

So far I'm going to have a pretty eventful next few weeks, maybe an internship meeting, friday Dishonored, end of the month Assassin's Creed III and then Halo 4. My body and soul is ready.

That's good to hear.

I hate to say it, but my hype for H4 has drowned any hype I have for other games.

Yesterday while you were playing the Medal of Honor Beta

Barlow: Isn't that game horrible? Why are you playing it again?
Elzar: I don't know.
Someone else enters party: Hey Elzar do you like that game?
Elzar:No.

Do we have any intel on who the storm faction are?
Are they affiliated with the servants of abiding truth (i.e. religious zealots)?
Or are they just the covie version of the insurrectionists?

Yesterday while you were playing the Medal of Honor Beta

Barlow: Isn't that game horrible? Why are you playing it again?
Elzar: I don't know.
Someone else enters party: Hey Elzar do you like that game?
Elzar:No.

Ha, Ha...yeah, that game is a welcome distraction, nothing more.

And by welcome, I mean, terrible.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ha, Ha...yeah, that game is a welcome distraction, nothing more.

And by welcome, I mean, terrible.

At first you're like "these menus are completely terrible."

Then you're like, hey, there's some pretty cool ideas here.

Then it completely falls apart.

So glad I didn't waste money on it.

Louis Wu

Wow, this is really good!

Can't figure out why nobody's seeing the bumblebee on the left there. (Facing the other way, but...)

rofl - I want to personally apologize for the quality of that video. (The original was sent to me, as a 2GB 320x240 raw file, back in 2002. I crunched it down to a 20mb file for general release. Whoever uploaded that in 2009 took that crunched-down version and uploaded it to YouTube, who crunched it some more.)

I wish I had the raw file still - I'd do such a better job with it now...

I like this, too.

six? seven? maybe more, maybe less
This is stupid. Nobody should ever ask Dani for time in 'sleeps' - he doesn't sleep.

Nobody ever died from habaneros.
I bet that's not true.

Top Bottom