• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

GameMaster78
Junior Member
(10-23-2012, 02:02 AM)
GameMaster78's Avatar
Removed collection pics, due to updating the collection photos, which is on a later page.
Last edited by GameMaster78; 01-04-2013 at 05:05 AM.
AlexMeloche
Member
(10-23-2012, 02:11 AM)
AlexMeloche's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

[Lots of pictures]



Have you ever calculated how much money your collection is worth?
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(10-23-2012, 02:15 AM)
GameMaster78's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlexMeloche



Have you ever calculated how much money your collection is worth?

I haven't. I sometimes dread to think what it costed. I just go with the mentality, "Oh, hey, more Skylanders stuff to buy. Buy-buy-buy."

EDIT: Here is what it all looked like when it came home.






By the way, that guide glows in the dark. It is exclusive to Walmart.
Last edited by GameMaster78; 10-23-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Double D
Member
(10-23-2012, 02:19 AM)
Double D's Avatar
Golden dragonfire cannon? Where is that from?
Syriel
Member
(10-23-2012, 02:22 AM)

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

Here is a closeup of my Skylanders Sidekicks -

What are the sidekicks? Missed those.

Originally Posted by Double D

Golden dragonfire cannon? Where is that from?

GameStop US Exclusive, IIRC.
Rafa=FedKilla
Member
(10-23-2012, 02:30 AM)
Rafa=FedKilla's Avatar
That collection is incredible. I can only imagine what mine would look like if that rumor is true of Disney making a clone.
Berek Halfhand
Junior Member
(10-23-2012, 03:45 AM)
Berek Halfhand's Avatar
damn. I'm speechless to you even having a room like that.
goMaki
Member
(10-23-2012, 03:57 AM)
goMaki's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

So, here we go. Round 2 of Skylanders collecting. I hope the hunt has been good for everyone.

OMG your collection is EPIC! I am jealous! I love the way you have displayed everything. I wish you luck in continuing your collection!
Diggeh
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:07 AM)
Diggeh's Avatar
Once again your collection blows me away GameMaster.

On another note, has anyone seen the new Mega Bloks sets in stores yet? I know that Amazon has the main four sets for release on December 1, but TRU should be getting theirs soon to correspond with their Christmas Book offer of B1G1 40% off Skylanders Mega Bloks sets.
Last edited by Diggeh; 10-27-2012 at 07:24 AM.
AlexMeloche
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:23 AM)
AlexMeloche's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I haven't. I sometimes dread to think what it costed. I just go with the mentality, "Oh, hey, more Skylanders stuff to buy. Buy-buy-buy."

EDIT: Here is what it all looked like when it came home.

[More pics.]

By the way, that guide glows in the dark. It is exclusive to Walmart.

Did some quick calculations, this post is worth more than 2000$. Damn.
Zing
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:25 AM)
Zing's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fantomex

They are saying middle of November. That's who I'm excited about too.

Who is "they"? We only have confirmation up through wave 2, and that was originally scheduled for November release. As far as I know, there is no known new release until after Christmas.
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:38 AM)
Sora_N's Avatar
Here is my haul from yesterday, it excludes the ones I bought for my gf (PS3 Starter Pack, etc)

Ken
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:39 AM)
Ken's Avatar
Seeing all your loot makes me kind of wish I was into the whole Skylanders craze.

Don't show your receipts though or it will break it.
cajunator
AnimeGAF's largest consumer of cute
(10-23-2012, 06:25 AM)
cajunator's Avatar
I have no idea what skylanders is but i salute your enthusiasm for it.
Zulithe
Member
(10-23-2012, 09:35 AM)
Zulithe's Avatar
My heart goes out to any kids who live near GameMaster78 since they can't find any skylanders, and they most definitely can't find any of the variants or exclusives :p

Man and I thought the $200 I spent monday was overdoing it... O.O

Hmm, so, how exacly does the skylander figure-to-game relationship work? I know it uses NFC and stores some save data on the figure, but does the figure contain information embedded in it about its in-game model as well as powers, etc.? Like, when the game is released... does it already have all of the models, including all the possible variants, already on the game disc/cart? That really limits what future figures they can release, eh?

But I guess as long as they continue to release a new game every year it's not a huge deal.
Last edited by Zulithe; 10-23-2012 at 09:40 AM.
-Mikey-
Member
(10-23-2012, 09:47 AM)
-Mikey-'s Avatar
After seeing those pictures I might have to check Skylanders out.
Chiaroscuro
Member
(10-23-2012, 12:01 PM)
Chiaroscuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rafa=FedKilla

That collection is incredible. I can only imagine what mine would look like if that rumor is true of Disney making a clone.



What?!?? That will be awesome and fearsome at the same time.
Chiaroscuro
Member
(10-23-2012, 12:03 PM)
Chiaroscuro's Avatar

Originally Posted by AlexMeloche

Did some quick calculations, this post is worth more than 2000$. Damn.

Wrong math dude. That may be the price for just the variations he had.

(and I thought I was crazy to get a full 32 set figure + 4 legendarys + 1 dark)
DiscoJason
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:32 PM)
DiscoJason's Avatar
Alright, I did what I said I wasn't going to do and got the rest of the Wave 1 stuff by buying the S2 versions of the original characters and the LC versions as well. My OCD got the best of me today. But I can find solace knowing that I will never go as far overboard as GameMaster78. ;)
Lenardo
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:45 PM)
my kids are plowing through the game.

usually they go the 2 giant route, but...in terms of chars:

we got most of the normal wave 1 group & an adventure pack

my kids have made copies of the character poster and have divvied up all the characters among the 3 of them, with negotiations on usage on some.

i do need to get a new display case though, the one we have up right now is too small, it is overfull now.
Mikeside
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:50 PM)
Mikeside's Avatar
It's incredibly tempting to quote that wall of pictures.

I really want to know how much you've spent on Skylanders...
Hobbun
(10-23-2012, 04:53 PM)
Hobbun's Avatar
You keep this up GameMaster, and we’ll see you on the new season of Collection Invervention.

But I can relate. Where I spent nowhere near yourself, I spent way too much money on figures for the first game. Collected all the figures, except three (excluding collectibles).

I am going to try and curb it this time around. Not only because I don’t have the extra cash flow as I did before, but I just don’t have the space.

Although I spent over $200 when picking up my game and figures on Sunday. :/
Last edited by Hobbun; 10-23-2012 at 04:55 PM.
bumpkin
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:55 PM)
bumpkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hobbun

You keep this up GameMaster, and we’ll see you on the new season of Collection Invervention.

But I can relate. Where I spent nowhere near yourself, I spent way too much money on figures for the first game. Collected all the figures, except three (excluding collectibles).

I am going to curb it this time around. Not only because I don’t have the extra cash flow as I did before, but I just don’t have the space.

Although I spent over $200 when picking up my game and figures on Sunday. :/

A buddy of mine who works at a GameStop went all out and collected the entire set of figures from the first game, legendary variants and all. Of course getting a discount on merch he buys from his store probably helped offset the cost a little. He ended up having to resort to ebay for a Wham-Shell though, IIRC. Myself, I think I only ended up with 15 or so. I doubt I'll go all out with Giants, other than maybe getting the series 2 of the characters I didn't buy for the first game. No way I'm going to re-buy ones I already own.
aparisi2274
Member
(10-23-2012, 04:57 PM)
aparisi2274's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

I haven't. I sometimes dread to think what it costed. I just go with the mentality, "Oh, hey, more Skylanders stuff to buy. Buy-buy-buy."

EDIT: Here is what it all looked like when it came home.






By the way, that guide glows in the dark. It is exclusive to Walmart.

Holy shit.... What happens if those things actually depreciate over time? Are you ever planning on opening or selling them?

You should put all that stuff on ebay right before Christmas. You could probably end up getting a 65" LED TV from the money you would make.
Hobbun
(10-23-2012, 05:02 PM)
Hobbun's Avatar

Originally Posted by bumpkin

A buddy of mine who works at a GameStop went all out and collected the entire set of figures from the first game, legendary variants and all. Of course getting a discount on merch he buys from his store probably helped offset the cost a little. He ended up having to resort to ebay for a Wham-Shell though, IIRC. Myself, I think I only ended up with 15 or so. I doubt I'll go all out with Giants, other than maybe getting the series 2 of the characters I didn't buy for the first game. No way I'm going to re-buy ones I already own.

Wham-Shell is one of the figures I am missing from the first game. I ‘almost’ bought him from Ebay as well, but just couldn’t swallow paying the higher money for him.

I’m still annoyed at Activision for bumping the prices up on figures halfway through the first series. For those who don’t know, the single figures first started releasing at $7.99, and $19.99 with the three-packs. But then I start seeing them for $9.99 and $24.99 MSRP.
Last edited by Hobbun; 10-23-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Coldsnap
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:03 PM)
Coldsnap's Avatar
Holy shit Gamemaster.. you need to cash in before they all end up in a dumpster
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:26 PM)
Sora_N's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hobbun

Wham-Shell is one of the figures I am missing from the first game. I Ďalmostí bought him from Ebay as well, but just couldnít swallow paying the higher money for him.

Iím still annoyed at Activision for bumping the prices up on figures halfway through the first series. For those who donít know, the single figures first started releasing at $7.99, and $19.99 with the three-packs. But then I start seeing them for $9.99 and $24.99 MSRP.

Well you could get the $30 cardboard box case, comes with a free WHam-Shell. I'm tempted but the case sucks.
n8NMONSTER
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:26 PM)
n8NMONSTER's Avatar
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but beyond the launch offerings, I've been seeing the following (to be) available as Wave 2 (most already available at Toys R Us):

Three Pack:
- Sonic Boom S2, Sprocket, Stump Smash S2
- Gill Grunt S2, Flashwing, Double Trouble S2
- Lightcore Prism Break, Lightcore Eruptor, Lightcore Drobot (Target Exclusive)

Singles:
- Sprocket
- Sonic Boom S2
- Stump Smash S2

- Flashwing
- Gill Grunt S2
- Double Trouble S2

- Bash S2
- Hex S2
- Drill Sereant S2
- Flameslinger S2

- Lightcore Jet-Vac
- Legendary Stealth Elf (Toys R Us Exclusive)


Giants:
- Hot Head
MThanded
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:27 PM)
MThanded's Avatar
WTf did i just see in this thread... Wow.
BarrenMind
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:32 PM)
BarrenMind's Avatar
Ah! Watching the GB quick look, this Skystone mini-game reminds me of Triple Triad from FF8!

That is pretty neat. It seems a lot simpler which is a good thing, I think I can get my 5 year old to like it.
Hobbun
(10-23-2012, 05:33 PM)
Hobbun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sora_N

Well you could get the $30 cardboard box case, comes with a free WHam-Shell. I'm tempted but the case sucks.

Is that the case that holds only a small amount of figures?

No, I took GameMaster's idea and bought the Stanley storage containers. And where they don't take up a lot of room on their own (in the storage boxes), I just have a lot of shit already and any extra space takes up room I don't have.
Proposed Law
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:34 PM)
Proposed Law's Avatar
Well played Gamemaster78, well played. I think my wife would divorce me if I did that.
Chiaroscuro
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:36 PM)
Chiaroscuro's Avatar
Wham-shell is very common here (Brazil).

But the normal price of a single pack here is around US$ 32..... (well, at least I have a 50% discount since I work in the company that distributes them).
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:36 PM)
Sora_N's Avatar

Originally Posted by n8NMONSTER

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but beyond the launch offerings, I've been seeing the following (to be) available as Wave 2 (most already available at Toys R Us):

Three Pack:
- Sonic Boom S2, Sprocket, Stump Smash S2
- Gill Grunt S2, Flashwing, Double Trouble S2
- Lightcore Prism Break, Lightcore Eruptor, Lightcore Drobot (Target Exclusive)

Singles:
- Sprocket
- Sonic Boom S2
- Stump Smash S2

- Flashwing
- Gill Grunt S2
- Double Trouble S2

- Bash S2
- Hex S2
- Drill Sereant S2
- Flameslinger S2

- Lightcore Jet-Vac
- Legendary Stealth Elf (Toys R Us Exclusive)


Giants:
- Hot Head

I personally can't wait for LC JV and L Stealth Elf.

Originally Posted by Hobbun

Is that the case that holds only a small amount of figures?

No, I took GameMaster's idea and bought the Stanley storage containers. And where they don't take up a lot of room on their own (in the storage boxes), I just have a lot of shit already and any extra space takes up room I don't have.

Yeah that's the crappy unnecessarily big case that only holds like 8 figures. I'll wait for it to go on sale. It sucks that they priced it to almost market price of Wham-Shell. If it was $20 I'd grab it and toss the box.
Schadenfreude
Member
(10-23-2012, 05:44 PM)
Schadenfreude's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

epic collection

Man, your collection is so epic I actually found about this post through *Facebook. Kudos.


*StreetPass NYC's Facebook, but still.
CHROMExSKULL
Banned
(10-23-2012, 06:01 PM)
nice collection but why multiple starter packs for multiple systems? i dont get the point of not opening characters and buying the same character more then once but whatever, its not my money...and here i am in Walmart yesterday staring at the display and feeling guilty about buying the starter pack and one new character, i ended up not buying it yet, im trying hard to wait till my daughers bday or xmas and see if she really wants it.
Charoncaori
Member
(10-23-2012, 06:11 PM)
Charoncaori's Avatar

Originally Posted by Schadenfreude

Man, your collection is so epic I actually found about this post through *Facebook. Kudos.


*StreetPass NYC's Facebook, but still.

Ditto, haha.

How do your kids feel about your collection, dude? Are they jealous? Do you have to keep them from wandering in and opening everything?
dark_inferno
Member
(10-23-2012, 06:14 PM)
dark_inferno's Avatar
Can you play trough the game without a giant? Because maybe i just wanna borrow it from a friend just to play trough it once.
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 06:36 PM)
Sora_N's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark_inferno

Can you play trough the game without a giant? Because maybe i just wanna borrow it from a friend just to play trough it once.

I have not finished the game with my gf yet but I think you need at least 1 Giant just to make things easier. They can smash some walls and lift some of the stones.
dark_inferno
Member
(10-23-2012, 06:38 PM)
dark_inferno's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sora_N

I have not finished the game with my gf yet but I think you need at least 1 Giant just to make things easier. They can smash some walls and lift some of the stones.

So could you finish the game without a giant or not?
sandrockgundam04
Junior Member
(10-23-2012, 06:56 PM)
sandrockgundam04's Avatar
What about the chained islands? You need a Giant to pull the chain right? The few I've come across aren't crucial to completing a level, but for getting 100% completion its a must.
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 07:38 PM)
Sora_N's Avatar
Ugh, I was gonna bid on Granite Crusher, but auction went up to $27 already. Way too much for me.
Hobbun
(10-23-2012, 07:45 PM)
Hobbun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sora_N

Ugh, I was gonna bid on Granite Crusher, but auction went up to $27 already. Way too much for me.

Is he that rare already where he canít be found at the store?
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 07:47 PM)
Sora_N's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hobbun

Is he that rare already where he canít be found at the store?

I'm in Canada, no Targets up here yet. I hear he's decently stocked at Targets though.
Katzii
Member
(10-23-2012, 07:55 PM)
Katzii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sora_N

I'm in Canada, no Targets up here yet. I hear he's decently stocked at Targets though.

Maybe see if someone online would be willing to pick you up one and sell at cost (plus P&P et cetera).

I'd offer to help but I can't seem to find him over here in the UK.
Sora_N
Member
(10-23-2012, 07:58 PM)
Sora_N's Avatar

Originally Posted by Katzii

Maybe see if someone online would be willing to pick you up one and sell at cost (plus P&P et cetera).

I'd offer to help but I can't seem to find him over here in the UK.

Yeah, thanks. I think someone at DarkSpyro might try to help me out.

EDIT: Sweet, got hooked up on my Crushers. :) My gf will be pleased!
Last edited by Sora_N; 10-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.
GameMaster78
Junior Member
(10-23-2012, 08:33 PM)
GameMaster78's Avatar
Thanks to everyone who posted about my collection.

To those who are now getting curious about the game, due to seeing these pics, let me explain why this game has me by the horns.

I appreciate gaming, I really do. While I am a screenwriter, I am also a gamer. In gaming, there are certain games that come along that will be remembered forever. I see Skylanders being one of those games.

In a day and age, where 95% of games out there are walk and shoot, drive and crash, and everything has to look realistic and gritty, you will get games that are truly worth owning. Now, I do own some of those gritty and lifelike games, but I grew up in the arcades, as well as Nintendo. Back in the simple days, games were more about fun than graphics and hour long cutscenes rendered in 1080p, thus it makes that game nothing more than a hallway for a world (ie Final Fantasy XIII).

This game reminds me of arcade games, but with a little more depth. This game reminds me of games I would play on the NES, SNES, PS1, Dreamcast, or the Wii. In other words, those systems allowed for some truly fun games to come out, in a time when gameplay ruled all. This is why I don't mention PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, and even the Gamecube.

See, sometimes it's good to diversify a collection, by just having simple games in it. This is a game that you can pick up and play, but be done just as quick.

To put it bluntly, when I first played this game, it reminded me of Gauntlet Legends on crack. Instead of running around with 4 characters, you can now have up 48 UNIQUE (not counting recolors, series 2, or lightcore) characters, that all play differently.

Other games I would call this or compare it to, is Diablo, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Champions of Norrath.

I could go on and on - and I have which has resulted in the sale of many copies of this game to locals in my area when they came across me at Toys R Us - but I'm sure there is a limit to words I can put in one post. I have truly thought about asking Activision to hire me to help promote and sell this game to others, because I have convinced so many people this game is awesome. After running into said people again - which were now looking for characters - they said they didn't regret it a bit.

It's just one of those games this generation of gaming needs, to diversify gaming as a whole, which are usually infected with gritty - focus more on graphics - dull and lack imagination.

I would compare this game to Gauntlet: Legends/Dark Legacy before all else, but it has a lot more to do. The figure collecting aspect just makes this even better, because you can take them to any friend's house that has Skylanders and use your figure there. Plus, it beats what could have happened, which could have been each figure being a digital DLC for 5-8 bucks each. I hate digital DLC, because I never feel like the stuff I download is mine. These figures I buy, I will have until they are lost in a fire, I die, a tornado sweeps them away, or lightning strikes my house.

The only bad thing about owning these, is one day I will die, and I won't be able to experience this cool game again - or life itself.
Zulithe
Member
(10-23-2012, 08:42 PM)
Zulithe's Avatar
I hope skylanders 3 adds a lot of new characters and fewer re-releases of old characters. most of the giants chars are reposes now that I'm learning more about it.
Syriel
Member
(10-23-2012, 08:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Zulithe

I hope skylanders 3 adds a lot of new characters and fewer re-releases of old characters. most of the giants chars are reposes now that I'm learning more about it.

I suspect the reposes were there to placate parents.

As in, parents who have invested a shitload in SA (aka bought them all) only really need to buy 16 new figs to have a "complete" Giants collection. They can safely ignore all the Series 2 and LC reposes if they like.

Those who want everything can still go crazy and they get the benefit of new Wow Pow and LC powers.

It's kind of a middle ground. If Giants had a complete set of all new characters, you'd probably hear more parents complaining about how it's just a money grab. And truly, it's not. Giants is a surprisingly fun game.
PeteZaTheHutt
Member
(10-23-2012, 09:32 PM)
PeteZaTheHutt's Avatar

Originally Posted by GameMaster78

The only bad thing about owning these, is one day I will die, and I won't be able to experience this cool game again - or life itself.

Or worse... expelled...


Sorry, couldn't resist. Just watched the first Harry Potter movie the other night with my wife and daughter and your last sentence totally reminded me of this quote.

Thread Tools