• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Announces Final Fantasy x GREE and The World Ends With You LIVE Remix

Hobby

Final Fantasy x Gree (temp.) is a card game that will feature a number of characters from the Final Fantasy series as well as many of the components that make up it. This will include summons, monsters, weapons, armor, accessories, etc. Famous scenes from the games will also be featured.

Stuff will appear from the following titles:
FINAL FANTASY
FINAL FANTASY II
FINAL FANTASY III
FINAL FANTASY IV
FINAL FANTASY IV Complete Collection
FINAL FANTASY V
FINAL FANTASY VI、
FINAL FANTASY VII
FINAL FANTASY VIII
FINAL FANTASY IX
FINAL FANTASY X
FINAL FANTASY X-2
FINAL FANTASY XI
FINAL FANTASY XII
FINAL FANTASY XIII
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2
DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY
DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS ADVANCE、
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS the Lion War
CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII-
DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-
FINAL FANTASY Type 0
FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Ring of Fate

qj2Yf.jpg

R090c.jpg

The World Ends With You LIVE Remix will include touchscreen battles and feature the music from the DS game.

In addition to these two games, Square Enix also intends to release Circle of Mana and Chocobo no Chocotto Nouen in the future for Gree.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/10/23/60760.html

Zaptruder

Banned
qj2Yf.jpg

What is this? It looks like an old school Active Time Battle system that has replaced sprites with cards.

That just seems so... incredibly lazy.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
low-res
cards
busiest fucking screenshots ever

yep, it's a gree game

For some reason, the title made me think Square announced a live concert featuring remixes of Final Fantasy and TWEWY music.

I was sorely disappointed when I entered the thread. :(

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
No Triple Triad means no interest from me. I know there are clones around of the concept, I'd throw all my money at an official iOS game of it though.

disco

Back to wearing out FF again I see...

Oh well! I'd rather it were FF than abusing a fresh new IP like BD.

The service name GREE comes from a hypothesis, Six De"gree"s of Separation postulated by social psychologist Stanley Milgram in 1967. Six degrees of separation is a hypothesis that everyone is approximately six steps away from any other person on Earth. If a chain of a friend of a friend statements are made, on average, any two people in the world can be connected in six steps or fewer.

Tangential learning, thanks again video games.

Gree is just some phone service in Japan, yeah? So there's no point in me getting mad at how bad these look because I'm never going to see them again after clicking out of this thread.

jaxword

It's just a mobile phone game, right?

So there's no need for the usual SQUARE ENIX IS DEAD TO ME AFTER THE ARROW TO THE FOOT.

duckroll

Haha. GREE sure likes those card games. I guess when you mandate that every single game is a micro-transction hell card collecting game, developers can't be assed to put much actual effort into them either. Lolz.

Haha. GREE sure likes those card games. I guess when you mandate that every single game is a micro-transction hell card collecting game, developers can't be assed to put much actual effort into them either. Lolz.

There are multiple bi-weekly magazines dedicated to mobile and Gree games.

Hell, Gree has their own magazine. I once skimmed through it and it really was ALL card games. Mind blowing.

Honestly I am pretty sure I destroyed some future career chances when a guy from GREE was trying to convince me to join the company and name dropped that they were working on a FF game.

I am pretty sure my response was "I bet it's a stupid card game, huh?" which he had no comeback for. lol

vareon

I've spoken with Gree a few times. I'm quite shocked that the social game development culture japan actually discouraged creativity in order to not to change the best formula that gives the best revenue per user. Maybe I can share some of the principles here later. For a creative industry they're really...shocking.

duckroll

I've spoken with Gree a few times. I'm quite shocked that the social game development culture japan actually discouraged creativity in order to not to change the best formula that gives the best revenue per user. Maybe I can share some of the principles here later. For a creative industry they're really...shocking.

Yeah based on some of the comments here, it's clear that the card game nature of social mobile games in Japan is not a creative choice but a systemic problem based on their revenue models. It'll definitely be interesting to have extra context from those who have had dealings with GREE. Although I'm not sure if it would be better for this thread or for a new thread. There might be more people interested in discussing the business nature of GREE, but might not be interested in a S-E mobile thread. :)

vareon

Yeah based on some of the comments here, it's clear that the card game nature of social mobile games in Japan is not a creative choice but a systemic problem based on their revenue models. It'll definitely be interesting to have extra context from those who have had dealings with GREE. Although I'm not sure if it would be better for this thread or for a new thread. There might be more people interested in discussing the business nature of GREE, but might not be interested in a S-E mobile thread. :)

I'm composing them as of now, will post a new thread when it's ready. Might take a while though since office hours isn't over yet.

Yeah calling the Japan mobile/social game scene a "creative industry" is stretching the definition just a tad bit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
All Gree games are one button win athons, dont be fooled by all the bars and on-screen displays.

They make it that way so you spend money.

duckroll

All Gree games are one button win athons, dont be fooled by all the bars and on-screen displays.

They make it that way so you spend money.

Aren't they all more or less the same game but with different visuals to try and attract fans of different franchises and properties? That's what it basically looks like to me.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Aren't they all more or less the same game but with different visuals to try and attract fans of different franchises and properties? That's what it basically looks like to me.

Yup. In some cases exactly the same save the card art. But it's not just gree, all the other big companies use the exact same gameplay format with different cards.

It's pronounced "Moh-bah-geh"?! I always thought it was "Moh-bidge" :O

Yeah this is one of the reasons why it was such a stupid name to keep when they started expanding overseas.

It's supposed to be one of those horrible scrunched up Japanese words where they combine Mobile (mobairu) and Game (gemu)

duckroll

Yeah this is one of the reasons why it was such a stupid name to keep when they started expanding overseas.

It's supposed to be one of those horrible scrunched up Japanese words where they combine Mobile (mobairu) and Game (gemu)

I think it's pretty fitting though. Everytime I see Mobage, I think of garbage. :)

Ath

For a second I thought this meant Square-Enix were attempting to port Final Fantasy X to Gree...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I find it strange that almost all the FF-compilation-thing games (like Theatrhythm, Dissidia, and this), they never seem to include FFXIV.

Coxy

lol they literally just cropped and pasted official promotional artwork there isnt even any attempt to make it look like it all belongs together

justjohn

Why do they insist on making games nobody wants, yet keep ignoring what the fans really want. Its such a frustrating company

Mik2121

Yep.. the situation with Japanese companies making smartphone games where all they can do is just the same card game stuff is just sad. Worst thing is that stuff sells, so they have no reason to stop it.

Can't wait for that stuff to stop selling so much just to see everybody trying to come up with the new fad.

Coxy

Why do they insist on making games nobody wants, yet keep ignoring what the fans really want. Its such a frustrating company

The games fans want require time, effort, money and talent they dont have. They expend none of those on these games, they are copy/paste jobs

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The games fans want require time, effort, money and talent they dont have. They expend none of those on these games, they are copy/paste jobs

I think a year of waiting for a localized Type 0 is plenty of time, dead system or not.

They are capable of using the thing we know as the human mouth that is capable of coherent speech.

Yet we don't even have that.

And let's be honest here is another XIII series game something a lot of people even WANT?

And do most FF fans want another MMO?

It's not about what the fans want, it's about what the company wants.

Sax_Man

Banned
Square Enix is that alcoholic, gambling addicted uncle who shows up six hours late when he comes to visit and gives you chewing gum for your birthday.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square Enix is that alcoholic, gambling addicted uncle who shows up six hours late when he comes to visit and gives you chewing gum for your birthday.

Nah even worse. They print out what you want on a piece of paper and give to you.

CorvoSol

Would it really be so hard for them to say "We'll bring Type-0 over at SOME point"? I mean, they can muster the effort for Nomura to announce that he will announce an announcement of an announcement in which he will say "please wait for Versus XIII" ever six months. Can't they say SOMETHING about Type-0?

This is what bugs me. Square makes good games, but then they refuse to localize them.

Dunan

It's pronounced "Moh-bah-geh"?! I always thought it was "Moh-bidge" :O

"Moba" is the first two syllables in the katakana version of "mobile" and "ge" is the first syllable in "game".

Far, far too many words are abbreviated in this way in Japan these days.

Top Bottom