• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Robso
Member
(10-24-2012, 09:02 PM)
Not sure how it popped into my head but, I was just curious as to what the first game was that used an online pass?
Maklershed
Member
(10-24-2012, 11:06 PM)
Maklershed's Avatar
Looks like it might be Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
chunk3rvd
Member
(10-25-2012, 12:59 AM)
chunk3rvd's Avatar
I've been wanting to take all my old wrestling shoot interview dvd's and just rip the audio as mp3's so I can listen to them on my phone. I just want to rip the audio (about 2.5 hours each) at a fairly low bitrate as quality isn't an issue. Is there a simple program that will do this for me in a few clicks?
Madridista
Member
(10-25-2012, 03:12 PM)
Madridista's Avatar
How do I erase an iPhoto library on my Mac?
Apparently it takes up about 25GB and I'm not using it as I have all of my photos and videos on a NAS.

Also another question. My old Samsung NC10 netbook have been broken for 2 years now but I would like to try fix it myself by replacing the motherboard. The workshop asked for $610 but I believe it can be done much cheaper if I do it myself.

But where can I find such a motherboard?
Last edited by Madridista; 10-25-2012 at 05:34 PM.
HamPster PamPster
Member
(10-25-2012, 06:24 PM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar
What are those changing walls called? The fold-able walls you see in movies, usually with a woman changing behind them?

What are they actually called?
Cyan
Purple Drazi
(10-25-2012, 06:30 PM)
Cyan's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

What are those changing walls called? The fold-able walls you see in movies, usually with a woman changing behind them?

What are they actually called?

Folding screens, I think.
Toppot
Member
(10-25-2012, 06:33 PM)
Toppot's Avatar

Originally Posted by HamPster PamPster

What are those changing walls called? The fold-able walls you see in movies, usually with a woman changing behind them?

What are they actually called?

Dressing screen, privacy screen, folding screen, panel screen or simply a screen.
HamPster PamPster
Member
(10-25-2012, 06:37 PM)
HamPster PamPster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cyan

Folding screens, I think.

Originally Posted by Toppot

Dressing screen, privacy screen, folding screen, panel screen or simply a screen.

Thanks! Room dividers seems to be a popular name too. I'm looking to buy some and couldn't find what I wanted on Amazon but now I can
AkuMifune
Member
(10-25-2012, 08:51 PM)
AkuMifune's Avatar
How do the conveyors in crematoriums work?

I decided last night that if I were to ever kill myself I'd want to shoot myself in the head while riding the conveyor into the cremation oven so that my family wouldn't have to deal with the body afterwards, is this feasible?

I'm not depressed, I just like to have a contingency for every situation.
Count Dookkake
Member
(10-25-2012, 09:00 PM)
Count Dookkake's Avatar

Originally Posted by AkuMifune

How do the conveyors in crematoriums work?

I decided last night that if I were to ever kill myself I'd want to shoot myself in the head while riding the conveyor into the cremation oven so that my family wouldn't have to deal with the body afterwards, is this feasible?

I'm not depressed, I just like to have a contingency for every situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS23CWl4lUE
Lirlond
Member
(10-25-2012, 09:03 PM)
Lirlond's Avatar

Originally Posted by AkuMifune

How do the conveyors in crematoriums work?

I decided last night that if I were to ever kill myself I'd want to shoot myself in the head while riding the conveyor into the cremation oven so that my family wouldn't have to deal with the body afterwards, is this feasible?

I'm not depressed, I just like to have a contingency for every situation.

You have to press a button
i-Lo
Member
(10-26-2012, 01:36 AM)
i-Lo's Avatar
what's with the "heuehueue"? I don't get the meme past the point it had something to do with Brazilian players gate crashing some game in beta phase and outnumbered english speaking players significantly. And how do you pronounce "huehueheehue"?
Claude
Catalina's bitch
(10-26-2012, 02:04 AM)
Claude's Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

what's with the "heuehueue"? I don't get the meme past the point it had something to do with Brazilian players gate crashing some game in beta phase and outnumbered english speaking players significantly. And how do you pronounce "huehueheehue"?

Here you go.
i-Lo
Member
(10-26-2012, 02:11 AM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Claude

Here you go.

Yep, I read that earlier. I completely forgot to look at the "heuheuheheu" part. Thanks mate.
YoungHav
Banned
(10-26-2012, 04:20 AM)
YoungHav's Avatar
Is dying of cancer less painful if you refuse treatment? How much less painful? I am wondering because I know of two elderly people that refused treatment and wonder how "peacefully" they passed.
Last edited by YoungHav; 10-26-2012 at 04:24 AM.
ChefRamsay
Member
(10-26-2012, 04:32 AM)
ChefRamsay's Avatar
Is a recession defined as two consecutive quarters of declining growth, or negative growth?

For example, theoretical GDP numbers:

Scenario A: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=+0.8%, Q3=+0.4%, Q4=+0.3%

Scenario B: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=-0.2%, Q3=-0.4%, Q4=-0.1%

Would Q2 to Q4 in both A and B be classified as a "Recession"? Or just B?
StuBurns
Banned
(10-26-2012, 04:47 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by YoungHav

Is dying of cancer less painful if you refuse treatment? How much less painful? I am wondering because I know of two elderly people that refused treatment and wonder how "peacefully" they passed.

It depends on the cancer, and the treatment. Radiation therapy is what people dread typically, but it's normally used in conjunction with surgery, i.e. a cancerous tumor is removed, and radiotherapy is used to hopefully cause total celldeath to any remaining cancerous cells, and stop them for spreading.

Older people do react more negatively to radiotherapy generally, but surgery, presuming they're fit enough for it, shouldn't have any long lasting physical discomfort, and shouldn't have affected how peaceful or not their death was.

It's really impossible to say, but fundamentally, the side effects of radiotherapy are not pleasant, especially in the elderly. I think there's dignity in declining treatment in later years.
Cyan
Purple Drazi
(10-26-2012, 04:48 AM)
Cyan's Avatar

Originally Posted by ChefRamsay

Is a recession defined as two consecutive quarters of declining growth, or negative growth?

For example, theoretical GDP numbers:

Scenario A: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=+0.8%, Q3=+0.4%, Q4=+0.3%

Scenario B: Q1=+1.3%, Q2=-0.2%, Q3=-0.4%, Q4=-0.1%

Would Q2 to Q4 in both A and B be classified as a "Recession"? Or just B?

Just B. It's declining GDP, not declining growth.
CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(10-27-2012, 04:55 AM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar
Anyone got that picture of "Fidel" written in blood? For some reason I'm unable to find it on Google.
Jzero
Member
(10-27-2012, 04:59 AM)
Jzero's Avatar

Originally Posted by CHEEZMO™

Anyone got that picture of "Fidel" written in blood? For some reason I'm unable to find it on Google.

I have no idea what you are talking about but i found this on google.
Alligatorjandro
MONEY UP, BITCH
(10-27-2012, 05:00 AM)
Alligatorjandro's Avatar
Can any active 3D glasses be used with any tv or do you need to use the same brand?
CHEEZMO™
Obsidian fan
(10-27-2012, 05:01 AM)
CHEEZMO™'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Jzero

I have no idea what you are talking about but i found this on google.

Yeah, I saw that one but it's not the picture I'm looking for. It's not a particularly obscure picture either, so I don't know why it's so hard to find :/
Ydahs
Member
(10-27-2012, 08:12 AM)
Ydahs's Avatar
Any computer technicians here?

This isn't really a stupid question but I don't think it deserves its own thread. A week after installing Windows 8, my laptop began to freeze. I've isolated it to occurring when my battery is charging. I switched both battery and AC adapter with my brother though it still occurs.

Here's the interesting thing though: my battery still charges when the laptop's switched off and I can successfully run my laptop without any freezes with battery only, or AC only (running without a battery).

So it only crashes when the battery is inserted and charging while running Windows 8. It doesn't crash instantly. Sometimes after a minute, sometimes after 30 minutes and sometimes after several hours. I've Googled, installed the latest Lenovo Windows 8 drivers and looked at Event Viewer after each crash but nothing comes up. There are also no minidumps produced.

When it crashes, the screen is still there but completely frozen (no BSOD). I have to reset it by pressing down on the power button for a few seconds.


I was thinking it may be a motherboard issue (PLEASE NO), but there are reasons why I think it's not. I mean, it still charges when turned off and works whilst not charging and the fact that it's inconsistent in when it freezes makes me believe it's not a hardware issue. I don't think it's a Windows 8 issue since that ran fine for 10 days before it started freezing.

Is there any software which will assist in finding the cause? I've stopped all non-Windows services from running, but still no luck. I really can't afford to format now with exams in two weeks but I'll need to at least try it if nothing can resolve this.
Xun
Member
(10-27-2012, 03:41 PM)
Xun's Avatar
Since changing my password GAF has been logging me out as if the remember me button hasn't been selected.

Any ideas? I assumed it was related to cookies, but apparently not (I reset Safari).
Minamu
Member
(10-27-2012, 05:32 PM)
Minamu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xun

Since changing my password GAF has been logging me out as if the remember me button hasn't been selected.

Any ideas? I assumed it was related to cookies, but apparently not (I reset Safari).

I had similar problems last year maybe. Whenever I hit enter after typing my password, it would not save it. But if I manually pressed the login button, it would remember it. Try that maybe? :S
Mikey Jr.
Member
(10-28-2012, 12:03 AM)
Mikey Jr.'s Avatar
Ok, this question is going to be really hard I think, but I'll try anyways.

Ok, there used to be this toy. I THINK it came in different sports varieties, but the one I remember was baseball. At the bottom was this lever that you would push to the side, and it would wind the toy up. Then, the backboard where you score would move side to side, and you would use the baseball bat to flick little balls into the scoreboard, and it would actually keep track. As you scored, the little balls would travel behind the backboard, down some tracks, and back to the front, where you could use them again to score.

There wasn't anything electronic, or needed batteries. Operated purely as a wind up toy. It was loud as hell, and it came in a red box. Its not a super super old toy, but I remember having it probably about 13-14 years ago.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Oreoleo
Member
(10-28-2012, 01:02 AM)
Oreoleo's Avatar
Perhaps the Hot Shot series? Basketball was more popular but they had Baseball too, apparently.



Mikey Jr.
Member
(10-28-2012, 02:11 AM)
Mikey Jr.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Orellio

Perhaps the Hot Shot series? Basketball was more popular but they had Baseball too, apparently.

Yep, this was it! HOLY SHIT! The nostalgia!!!

Thank you sooooo much!
Last edited by Mikey Jr.; 10-28-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Buddha Beam
Junior Member
(10-29-2012, 12:34 AM)
Buddha Beam's Avatar
What was the name of the girl who would always do reports on Keith Olbermann's Countdown on msnbc back in the day? She had brown hair. I just saw a very brief clip of her on 60 minutes and it's bugging me. I can't remember her name for the life of me now.
Nugg
Member
(10-29-2012, 12:53 AM)
Nugg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alligatorjandro

Can any active 3D glasses be used with any tv or do you need to use the same brand?

No. You need the right glasses for your TV. There are a few "universal" ones out there, but they don't work very well.
spiderman123
Member
(10-29-2012, 01:38 AM)
spiderman123's Avatar
Not sure where to ask but are there any Lawyers around GAF?

I need help with something related to a friend if mine. Kinda important.

Thanks.
Lirlond
Member
(10-29-2012, 01:41 AM)
Lirlond's Avatar
Gonna need to know what country you're in. I know phisheep knows British Law, but it's hardly universal.
spiderman123
Member
(10-29-2012, 01:48 AM)
spiderman123's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lirlond

Gonna need to know what country you're in. I know phisheep knows British Law, but it's hardly universal.

USA, thanks.
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(10-29-2012, 02:08 AM)
RatskyWatsky's Avatar
How would I go about listening to my iPod shuffle (most recent model) in the car? My car doesn't have a cassette deck, so the cassette adapter things that people use isn't an option.
Mr. F
Member
(10-29-2012, 03:24 AM)
Mr. F's Avatar
Does anyone have any experience purchasing digital items from international Amazon sites?

Amazon.ca doesn't sell digital games, and Amazon.com has this Walking Dead deal on. Just wondering as a Canadian if I would run into any issues buying digital games from the US site.
Cyan
Purple Drazi
(10-29-2012, 03:24 AM)
Cyan's Avatar

Originally Posted by RatskyWatsky

How would I go about listening to my iPod shuffle (most recent model) in the car? My car doesn't have a cassette deck, so the cassette adapter things that people use isn't an option.

AUX in? Then you're set. Otherwise, maybe an FM adapter.
RatskyWatsky
Hunky Nostradamus
(10-29-2012, 04:09 AM)
RatskyWatsky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cyan

AUX in? Then you're set. Otherwise, maybe an FM adapter.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it!
UrbanRats
Member
(10-29-2012, 05:22 AM)
UrbanRats's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. F

Does anyone have any experience purchasing digital items from international Amazon sites?

Amazon.ca doesn't sell digital games, and Amazon.com has this Walking Dead deal on. Just wondering as a Canadian if I would run into any issues buying digital games from the US site.

I bought a couple of digital games from Amazon.com (i'm in EU) with an US address, used the keys on steam, but i could've just downloaded them fine from there, i think.
Joe
Member
(10-29-2012, 11:47 PM)
Joe's Avatar
can i take a SIM card out of a working iphone 3gs and stick it in a regular old dumbphone and use it right away?
Summary Man
Member
(10-30-2012, 12:51 AM)
Summary Man's Avatar
How exactly does Amazon Instant work? I want to watch a movie tonight on my PS3. Can I rent the movie on Amazon.com, and then it instantly appears in my PS3 queue? Or do I need to purchase it through the PS3 app?
tsigo
Member
(10-30-2012, 12:54 AM)
tsigo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Summary Man

How exactly does Amazon Instant work? I want to watch a movie tonight on my PS3. Can I rent the movie on Amazon.com, and then it instantly appears in my PS3 queue? Or do I need to purchase it through the PS3 app?

The "watchlist" is universal. It should show up on any device you use.
Summary Man
Member
(10-30-2012, 01:03 AM)
Summary Man's Avatar

Originally Posted by tsigo

The "watchlist" is universal. It should show up on any device you use.

Great. Thanks for the answer! I originally wanted to watch it on the Xbox 360, but wasn't sure if I had to use Microsoft Points to purchase the film. Good to know that it's all universal.
Minamu
Member
(10-30-2012, 01:19 AM)
Minamu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe

can i take a SIM card out of a working iphone 3gs and stick it in a regular old dumbphone and use it right away?

Assuming the card fits in both phones and is not locked to an operator, probably. This is possible where I live at least.
Maron
Member
(10-30-2012, 05:52 AM)
Maron's Avatar
How do I record my voice onto my MacBook and make an mp3 file out of it? It's an older Mac (10.5) so GarageBand's out of the question.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot I had Audacity...Haven't used it since November but it gets the job done!
Last edited by Maron; 10-30-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Tr4nce
Member
(10-31-2012, 12:52 PM)
Tr4nce's Avatar
Forgive me my ignorance, but how does one go about making an avatar which mixes with the background of a website? Example: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=306
Lirlond
Member
(10-31-2012, 01:04 PM)
Lirlond's Avatar
It would need to be transparent. There are loads of guides, but how you do it depends on what software you have.
FillerB
Member
(10-31-2012, 01:06 PM)
FillerB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tr4nce

Forgive me my ignorance, but how does one go about making an avatar which mixes with the background of a website? Example: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=306

It uses transparency in the image. Just use any image editor which supports that (Paint.NET, photoshop, GIMP etc.) and remove what you don't want to show up. Then save it as a PNG and upload it to GAF. Remember to make your image smaller than 100x120px or else GAF's autoresizer removes the transparency.

Alternatively ask the fine folk in the Forum Avatar Request Thread to fix you up.
Tr4nce
Member
(10-31-2012, 01:08 PM)
Tr4nce's Avatar
Thanks men :)
Last edited by Tr4nce; 10-31-2012 at 01:10 PM.
JustHadToJoin
Member
(10-31-2012, 01:45 PM)
how do you pronounce neogaf?
Lirlond
Member
(10-31-2012, 01:50 PM)
Lirlond's Avatar

Originally Posted by JustHadToJoin

how do you pronounce neogaf?

Knee Oh Gaffe

Thread Tools