• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3, NG3:RE, Batman, EM2, WO3, BLOPS2, Darksiders 2 have technical issues on Wii U

Nibel

ibtgwNW0x5184D.png
if old

Without question, it has a few issues. This version of ME3 seems a lot less visually stable than, say, the Xbox 360 version -- the frame rate is choppier, the animation seems rougher. The audio suffers, too; while the music and sound effects have come over fine, all the dialogue has a hollow, echoing quality to it. The GamePad's analog sticks aren't as comfortable as the 360's, and the placement of the face buttons relative to the right stick made me continually miss the melee and reload buttons. My headshot ratio has dropped precipitously. It's tragic.

Now, the Wii U Controller Pro rectifies some of these control issues -- it's pretty much a 360 controller, and it works great. But the problem there is that you lose the GamePad features if you use the Pro, and the GamePad is actually used pretty well here. By default, it serves as a quick skill-select menu or live map display (yes, just like a DS game), and the developers have added some neat details -- for instance, during the prologue sequence, the map display breaks up and distorts momentarily whenever a Reaver in the distance fires an energy blast. There was some actual thought put into this port, which is always nice to see.

The real advantage to the GamePad, however, is the fact that the game looks much better on its smaller screen. I don't know if it's the flaws being obscured by the pad's screen when they're shown more clearly on the higher-performance LCD of an HDTV, or if it's simply a benefit of the pad's lower resolution requiring the system to render fewer polygons, but the game plays noticeably smoother on the GamePad screen. The stiffness of the characters doesn't come across as readily, and the compactness of the visuals makes the environments seem far more beautiful and detailed.

Another trade-off: The Wii U version comes with all the collector's edition exclusive content on-disc already (though not high-end DLC like Leviathan), but much of the subtlety of the game is lost due to the lack of support for Mass Effect 1 and 2 save files. The game kicks off with a 20-minute digital comic that allows you to make key choices to shape the plot, just like the PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, but the most interesting moments in ME3 came as outcomes of smaller choices that aren't included in this prologue. So while you'll still shape the outcome of, say, Tali's major plot arc, you'll never know the pleasure of helping Conrad Verner find true happiness.

Source

Mod Edit:

Might as well collect the games in this thread so consumers can pick the ports without issues if they prefer.

Ninja Gaiden 3 also apparently has issues.

IGN said:
Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor’s Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the “jaggies” combining to create a muddy look that would’ve been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360’s launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this. Plus, at this stage it’s nice – if admittedly a novelty – to be playing a Nintendo game in high-definition.

"- Muddy visuals, jaggies, occasional framerate stutters"
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

1UP said:
Early Wii U adopters can rest easy in that this iteration of Ninja Gaiden 3 can visually stand on equal footing with its other console siblings, at least until too many things start happening at once. The framerate noticeable stutters at times when the screen starts to bustle with activity -- an unfortunate circumstance that shows up especially whenever rocket-totting enemies appear. It's weird because sometimes you almost expect everything to chug, but it doesn't. A helicopter boss battle in the second chapter ran fine at times, but would suddenly slow down out of nowhere. It's difficult to pinpoint the cause of these slowdown issues, but they happen. The slower combat speed shows off a visually satisfying combat system, an unexpected outcome, for sure. I wonder if the results will inspire some ambitious YouTube producer to make slowdown videos of other visually stimulating video games.
Source: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9115465

---

Update 2:

From the Giant Bomb Arkham City livestream thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500392

Catwoman stole the framerate.

I guess it is a different game

Damn, that's rough

holy framerate batman!

God I love Arkham City so much, the intro sequence is so amazing. The proper intro, not the Catwoman segment. And the soundtrack is sooo good.

And wow performance is terrible.

THIS FRAMERATE
KuGsj.gif

Dat framerate is falling apart.

I figured the port would probably struggle once they got in the open world.

Framerate. :\

LOL @ THE FRAMERATE

the framerate just shat itself. holy crap.

Mother of god this looks awful

I think the framerate took away frames from OTHER games!

Wow that's really a shame with the Batman port.

Wow. The frame rate in Batman is absolutely fucked up.

CODBLOPS2:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44494714&postcount=158

Just to add to this thread, I've played a couple of missions thus far and it's not good.

The Digital Foundry article featured the first area benchmarked on PS3 and 360. During some of the parts they show the framerate flucuates between 45-50 fps dropping as low as 40-ish on PS3 during the slowest point. On WiiU? Yeah, that same area (right before the chopper) sinks UNDER 30 fps. It's juddery and choppy. On average the framerate seems to spend a lot of time around 50 fps.

Now, it generally doesn't sink THAT low during gameplay but it spends way too much time under 60 fps. The 360 version is much smoother and even the PS3 version seems to have an edge. The image quality seems more in line with 360 at least, which is to say that it's jaggy as hell, but not blurry like 1.02 on PS3.

The shadows are also nasty. Until you stand right up on them, they appear at a very VERY low resolution and only resolve into higher detail when you press your face right up against them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-face-off

Regarding those two shots above...

When I returned to that area, the pillows DID appear on WiiU. I don't know why they were missing when I snapped that photo, but they were. Secondly, the shadows DO eventually become the resolution as you see on 360 *BUT* only when you are within VERY close proximity. From any normal distance they are a chunky mess.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44494576&postcount=157

Dark10x's comments in the other thread mention the game runs pretty poorly (30 fps in the first level). And it's missing details and has worse lighting.

wiiu

pretty disappointing

For people who were looking for more clarification on CoD's Wii U issues:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

wiiucod1teuuh.jpg

wiiucod2aoug4.jpg

It's also the same resolution as the Xbox 360 game.

Epic Mickey 2:

See the Giant Bomb livestream at the 7-ish hour mark. This may be the single worst performing port.

Warriors Orochi 2:

bildschirmfoto2012-1151o1o.png

Darksiders 2:

TheNatural said:
Also Darksiders 2:

But significantly, the game suffers from some frame rate problems, distracting loading times as you move through the overworld, and longer loading times when opening doors than in the other iterations.

http://www.gamespot.com/darksiders-ii/reviews/darksiders-ii-review-6400372/

Seriously, is there a single game that has been ported unscathed?

Someone update the OP and add more on the heap. Is there anything left?

Rokam

By default, it serves as a quick skill-select menu or live map display (yes, just like a DS game), and the developers have added some neat details -- for instance, during the prologue sequence, the map display breaks up and distorts momentarily whenever a Reaver in the distance fires an energy blast. There was some actual thought put into this port, which is always nice to see.

Three games and you can't get the damn name right...

I say the pros actually outweigh the cons.

But yeah, according to the graphical and audio hiccups that's just stupid. It should perform just as good as the PS360 version.
Maybe it'll get patched sooner or later, if fans are loud enough at least.

Still EA, that's not how you make people buy games on that console. If you're not even trying getting the performance on par with the other versions besides having more power to work with then why would anyone want to buy your stuff on that console?

Sandfox

This is a lazy port. The fact that the game looks better on the pad is sad and shows that EA picked the wrong studio to do the port.

I'm sure this was just a rush job. The wii-u's strengths seems to be in its GPU whereas something like Mass Effect is more CPU bound.

EA probably just didn't give a shit.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
EA released the Mass Effect trilogy for the 360, PC and (soon) PS3 before the Wii U's DLC-less full priced Mass Effect 3 port. Would it really surprise anyone if they added insult to injury by making it a crappy port too?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So not even on par...

Pretty bad really. I hope they manage to sort it out.

Color me completely unsurprised.

Dear EA: I don't buy overpriced garbage. Don't blame us for not buying core games when the releases are shit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow..

well not really wow.. this is hardly surprising. I doubt we'll see games that surpass 360/PS3 for atleast a year until WiiU's launch.

AniHawk

guys, if no one buys this game, we might be able to kill the mass effect series off forever. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

JDSN

Banned
It really is. The Wii U has more powerful hardware so there's no logical reason the 360 version would run better.

EA has shown a consistent lack of fucks of everything regarding WiiU, I dont see what is so shocking that this is a sub-par product. If im not mistaken it was Straight Right that proposed this idea and EA agreed while they probably were planning on doing the Trilogy thing. I wonder when are we gonna get some info about the worsening relationship between EA and Nintendo.

new hardware, lack of time, outside folks porting?

Not to mention EA was probably apathetic as fuck as to how this turned out.

Did them not getting any input on the Wii U's online infrastructure mess up their relationship to Nintendo that badly? Some of this just seems outright malicious.

EDarkness

No one should be surprised by this. No idea who the developer is who ported it over, but this game seemed like it was going to be a cash in port and nothing more. Sad, too, because before I knew anything about it I was hyped at the idea of playing Mass Effect 3 with IR, but as news started to trickle in, I figured that wasn't going to happen and that EA didn't give a damn about this version anyway. Depressing, actually.

rdrr gnr

Very clever "if old."

Also, this may be doing you a favor if you have not already played it. The game can be skipped.

Valnen

guys, if no one buys this game, we might be able to kill the mass effect series off forever. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

You can just stop buying the series if you don't like it, don't wish for it's death for everyone else too.

antonz

Nintendo took a dump in EA's cheerios somewhere along the line. I doubt EA will ever get serious about Wii U support.

Top Bottom