• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just want to say, Real Lives 2010 is the best game I've played in the last two months. It might even be better than X-com.

Jintor

Downloading Real Life 2010 now

I guess I'm a kid in Jiangsu, China. Let's see how this goes.

/edit oh my god it telling me congratulations for clicking this button is blowing up my brain. I CRAWLED WOO! MUM FOUND A JOB! WE GOT A NEW HOUSE! Man she's, like, 20.

//edit my dad was in the army?

///edit Well, this guy I am likes dudes. This is proving a problem between leaving school at age 7 and being drafted into the army at age 17.

demidar

Downloading Real Life 2010 now

I guess I'm a kid in Jiangsu, China. Let's see how this goes.

/edit oh my god it telling me congratulations for clicking this button is blowing up my brain. I CRAWLED WOO! MUM FOUND A JOB! WE GOT A NEW HOUSE! Man she's, like, 20.

//edit my dad was in the army?

///edit Well, this guy I am likes dudes. This is proving a problem between leaving school at age 7 and being drafted into the army at age 17.

Ah ha! Looks like homosexuality is genetic!

xenist

That talk about how things you don't see in a game but know are there and how it enriches the player's experience gave words to something I always had on my mind. No podcast talks about games at the level you guys do.

I wish I had given you more money when the kickstarter was happening.

flowsnake

This should be a Crusader Kings 2 mod or something, what with all the events popping up, managing your character's life, etc.

sixghost

I tried to roll a 2nd and 3rd life in Real Lives, but I just gave up 20 years into both. It's amazing how fucked you are in almost every situation. The only "successful" life I had was a combination of extreme luck in both investments and illegal immigration.

Jintor

I got by okay by moving to Fiji from Xichuan, eventually. Only 120,000 yuan to immigrate!

My daughter still got raped at 25 though :(

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Which ad does Thumbs prefer?
DBUDo.jpg

Lijik

This is actually my favorite, in which Jeff Goldblum repeatedly enquires as to whether he is buying a house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDEw494tn8
That line happens to be my favorite too.
"What am I buying a house? Am I buying a house?" "You want to move on with your life, you want to take a tango lesson"

My second favorite is the one where he neurotically declines giving out the secret code on the back of his credit card. His expression at the end is priceless. Im on my phone, otherwise Id link to it

Computron

When Jake was talking about the lean mechanic in Dishonored and mentioned that he didn't really feel safe and assured that he was truly out of sight, I was reminded of my experience I had trying to stealth my way through in Crysis 2 (Of all games!) and the similar experience I had with their cover/lean mechanic.

Then the Thumbs continued on to ponder what that must have looked like from the eyes of a third person.

Like-a-this:

iILa5Tv3zFzM8.gif

This is why we can't have nice things.
KuGsj.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that's the scariest thing I've seen all week

When Jake was talking about the lean mechanic in Dishonored and mentioned that he didn't really feel safe and assured that he was truly out of sight, I was reminded of my experience I had trying to stealth my way through in Crysis 2 (Of all games!) and the similar experience I had with their cover/lean mechanic.

Then the Thumbs then continued on to ponder what that must have looked like from the eyes of a third person.

Like-a-this:

iILa5Tv3zFzM8.gif

This is why we can have nice things.
KuGsj.gif

Is that actually how Crysis 2 handle's it's first person cover or is it just a crazy glitch?

Computron

Crysis 2 doesn't have a third person mode viewable mode in campaign, here the camera is just detached.
This is a video (by CryThomy of crydev) taken with dev commands in the editor.

So you are correct, this is probably just a quick workaround by the dev team to allow the enemies to hit you easier when you are more exposed. Your obviously not meant/able to see it from first person.

This is also probably why they didn't bring over the cover mechanic into multiplayer.

demidar

Then the Thumbs continued on to ponder what that must have looked like from the eyes of a third person.

Like-a-this:

iILa5Tv3zFzM8.gif

KuGsj.gif

It's a Nanosuit power :D

Dead Island did the same thing. First person looks fine and natural, but drag it out to third person and it turns out you're playing as an orangutan.

Like-a-this:

iILa5Tv3zFzM8.gif

KuGsj.gif

HOLY SHIT

Lijik

Like-a-this:

iILa5Tv3zFzM8.gif

KuGsj.gif

Thats cool, I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight

Why someone hasn't made survival horror monsters based off of fps animations in third person monstrosities yet is beyond me. Its all prime material!

commissar

Here's another, unrelated but equally hilarious, .GIF I made from the crazy world of Lolsis 2:

[MG]http://i.minus.com/ihyBxN2bNqVIu.gif[/IMG]​
I don't find that funny at all, but it is fucking awesome :D

Game physics emerging into viable mechanics is a favourite thing

edit: and that cover.gif is so good haha

Ledsen

I've gotten the impression that Thumbs crew wouldn't be too interested in games that put so much focus on written story with little gameplay, especially anime dating sims. Doesn't seem like their thing at all.

Shaneus

I've gotten the impression that Thumbs crew wouldn't be too interested in games that put so much focus on written story with little gameplay, especially anime dating sims. Doesn't seem like their thing at all.
Yeah, while (from reading the Wikipedia page) 999 seems like something that does focus on a restricted environment so as to allow for more detail, it would be quite different to, say, Last Express where you have ambient/background things happening all the time that I doubt could be portrayed on a handheld. At least, a cartridge-based one.

Jintor

There are certainly no real systemic elements for them to be absorbed by, which is usually their kind of thing. But 999 and VLR have some pretty interesting ways to integrate story with gameplay that I think they might like. It would require spoilercast though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Something something The Walking Dead. :p

I just think that, whenever Katawa Shoujo came out, there was that same kind of zeitgeist but just on a smaller scale (because everyone hates anime).

I remembered that Squadron of Shame did like a 3 hour podcast on it, so it'd be kind of interesting if more "mainstream" people gave their impressions as well.

Also, I can only hear so many people talk about how Halo is the best/worst game ever before I go insane.

I think 999/VLR would be more their wheelhouse. Although seeing them talk about KS on their bookcast (or in the style of their bookcast) would be completely hilarious.
I suppose VLR is more "videogamey" anyway. lol

Shaneus

Though a discussion that includes the odd Japanese-focused game or two would be pretty sweet. Especially overly (wacky and) Japanese ones like Catherine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Though a discussion that includes the odd Japanese-focused game or two would be pretty sweet. Especially overly (wacky and) Japanese ones like Catherine.
That's a bigger discussion, but it's why I wanted a Chris Remo/Christian Nutt cast back when everyone was still in the press and whatnot. It would have been interesting to have two contrasting cultural "tastes" on the same show, because usually people who like Japanese stuff don't do American games and vice versa.

Shaneus

That's a bigger discussion, but it's why I wanted a Chris Remo/Christian Nutt cast back when everyone was still in the press and whatnot. It would have been interesting to have two contrasting cultural "tastes" on the same show, because usually people who like Japanese stuff don't do American games and vice versa.
Yeah, I definitely don't dislike anything they're doing (or have ever done) but if there's one thing I can think of that's missing (content-wise) if pressed, it's that the show (even though it's organic and never a point) almost exclusively discusses western games.

Perhaps that's because Japanese developers generally aren't that open when talking about games either pre or post-release, or when Japanese games get released, the less-niche ones (ie. not JRPGs or the "hard" Japanese stuff) are rarely promoted or pushed in the US to the point of widespread knowledge. Tokyo Jungle (and Catherine to an extent) was lucky in that regard because of the strong word-of-mouth on forums.

But hell, maybe there just aren't enough widely-known Japanese games coming out that are worthy of discussion? I'm thinking games along the lines of Vanquish, Lollipop Chainsaw, MGS... none come to mind immediately as blockbusters or even well-known franchises that have been released in the last few months.

I sat next to Christian two jobs ago and I miss talking with him regularly. Our taste is so completely different in a lot of ways, but I think we shared enough of a certain sensibility that it allowed us to find the anchor to have good conversations around.

Yeah, I definitely don't dislike anything they're doing (or have ever done) but if there's one thing I can think of that's missing (content-wise) if pressed, it's that the show (even though it's organic and never a point) almost exclusively discusses western games.

Perhaps that's because Japanese developers generally aren't that open when talking about games either pre or post-release, or when Japanese games get released, the less-niche ones (ie. not JRPGs or the "hard" Japanese stuff) are rarely promoted or pushed in the US to the point of widespread knowledge. Tokyo Jungle (and Catherine to an extent) was lucky in that regard because of the strong word-of-mouth on forums.

But hell, maybe there just aren't enough widely-known Japanese games coming out that are worthy of discussion? I'm thinking games along the lines of Vanquish, Lollipop Chainsaw, MGS... none come to mind immediately as blockbusters or even well-known franchises that have been released in the last few months.

For me there it seems like there just aren't that many current Japanese games that fall within my particular area of interest. I think we used to talk about Japanese games on the original run of Idle Thumbs a lot more, and Idle Thumbs the pre-podcast website covered plenty of Japanese games. It seems like the current output of the Japanese game scene has contracted a lot in certain ways that makes it harder for me to get really excited about that stuff.

From the last couple generations, I loved (for example) Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, Killer 7, No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Katamari Damacy, The Wind Waker, Demon's Souls, and plenty of other games.

It feels to me like the followups to many of those games--either direct sequels or new games from the same developers--have either sort of stagnated, or very overtly gone in directions that really discard the particular qualities that actually spoke to me. Then there are some, like Ico/SOTC, whose followups are just taking forever.

Probably the massive exception to that is Dark Souls, which I have no real excuse for not having played very much yet at this point. I need to dig into what PC mods are available and just get my installation set up with not-fucked resolution etc.

Shaneus

It's funny you mention Dark Souls... it's exactly the sort of title I was trying to think of, but it's the ONLY sort of title I can think of in that ilk that's existed (or will exist) six months either side of today. And to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing like that even remotely in the pipeline.

BTW for the Dark Souls fix, go to this thread and get Durante's mod. I'm not sure if there are any other mods for it or not, but I know that's the main one for getting the proper resolution working.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Well, in the same way that the Real Lives discussion was awesome, I think it'd be interesting to hear the same kind of conversation applied to the more obtuse Japanese games.

Like, there's a fan translation of Love Plus out there. And yeah, the chances of someone on Thumbs getting a copy of Love Plus, patching it and then digging out an R4 and a DSi/lite are pretty much zero, but hearing them talk about the "game-ification" of dating would be something to behold.

I mean, after you laugh at the concept, I think it's worth discussing why Love Plus hit so hard with the Japanese audience and how that relates to the creepy Mass Effect/Dragon Age stuff that has happened here in North America.

I sat next to Christian two jobs ago and I miss talking with him regularly. Our taste is so completely different in a lot of ways, but I think we shared enough of a certain sensibility that it allowed us to find the anchor to have good conversations around.
Yeah, I remember asking you about this ages ago when you were both at Gamasutra. I think I called the hypothetical show "Remo's Nutts" or something silly like that. lol

Are you guys still in the same circles though/ I do think it would be awesome if you could bring him on one week just to blow everyone's minds.

Also, please do Katawa Shoujo. I'll pay you money via another Kickstarter if you guys play it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know if I want to see {hear} that ;___;
Love Plus or Katawa Shoujo? lol

Speaking of Christian Nutt, he was just on a 90 minute podcast for 1up where he went on and on about Evangelion. Seriously, you guys need to get together if only because it would be hilarious.

Gomu Gomu

Also, please do Katawa Shoujo. I'll pay you money via another Kickstarter if you guys play it!
I just read the description of this game. It's uh.... an interesting premise. It would be cool to have it on a random Saturday stream.
Actually it would be great to have random games, that don't usually align with the Thumbs' taste, for the live streams.
It would be a great opportunity to expose the guys to different kinds of games, and see how they react live. They don't have to play them all the way. Just a couple of hours for the stream.

spindrift

Neo Member
I don't know about you guys, but having someone speak about something they have professed to be utterly uninterested in doesn't sound that great to me.

Zeliard

Remo, you'll love Dark Souls. Hurry up and get to it. Am quite envious that your first experience with it will be in all its internal high-res glory. The game looks magnificent with Durante's fixes (which also includes SSAO and 60 FPS support).

Top Bottom