• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U bricks if you shut down during software update process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
PdCOz.jpg

Takao

Banned
SHOCKING NEWS

That's a warning for every device that has firmare updates in the history of forever.

The M.O.B

I'm guessing it was going so slow he thought it froze?

Otherwise I would hope it would have a warning to not turn off the console during updates, this 3DS has one.

HiiiLife

Now I fear having that happen to me for the new Xbox or PS. If the power just so happens to go out, I don't know what I'd do.

Otoh. What if power goes out in the house?

This shouldn't happen.

Dont you only lose game saves on current consoles if this happened?

Ponn

Banned
I feel bad if his system is really bricked, and I know accidents happen, but its pretty common knowledge not to turn the power off on any device in the middle of updating. If it's bricked at least you know Nintendo will fix it.

whitehawk

Banned
1. Why would you do that?
2. I'm highly positive there is a recovery mode, but the guy on twitter has chosen the GAF approach and has decided to complain on Twitter before troubleshooting himself.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Otoh. What if power goes out in the house.

This shouldn't happened.

In theory you should be able to brick anything writing to the firmware.

The notable part here would be that it's a two hour process, so the odds of something going wrong is much higher than like a five minute upgrade.

Eusis

Is it really that long? That's the bigger problem, not that this can happen but that there's that huge window for where it CAN happen. Hopefully if it's really that long it's NOT that long for future updates, a bit easier to handle a brick on a brand new system, even if it is frustrating to need to send it in and get Nintendo to replace it.

I've been needing a UPS again, perhaps that should've been the higher priority.

I was downloading a game for my Wii and it was going nowhere and taking a really long time and I shut it off manually and it corrupted my system so I learned my lesson.

Mmm. My PSP shut off when it was doing a firmware update (It was plugged in and everything, don't know why it turned off), turned it into an expensive doorstop. Sucks.

Veitsev

This shouldn't happen.

No. If you unplug any hardware during a FIRMWARE update it stands a high change of bricking. This happens with pretty much any electronics device.

Ridley327

This shouldn't happen.

You run the risk of bricking any piece of hardware if you're doing something as critical as writing to the firmware. That's why you get messages all the time on the Wii, 360, PS3, PSP, 3DS, and Vita warning you to not turn the power off while it's doing it.

antonz

I've had lots of devices fail to update a firmware, PS3 included, and it didn't break my shit. I like how people are blaming the guy.

when an update fails the system typically reverts back. If you kill the power the system doesnt have a chance to revert.

In theory you should be able to brick anything writing to the firmware.

The notable part here would be that it's a two hour process, so the odds of something going wrong is much higher than like a five minute upgrade.

You would think there would be a method of recovery with a layer that exists outside of the firmware. Sony's been doing this for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom