• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii games upscaled (not natively rendered in higher res) on WiiU

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but wii games are in fact upscaled.

I've tested Xenoblade and RE4, both were in 1080p.

I was using HDMI of course.

EDIT

It's not native 1080p of course but it is displayed in 1080p. The difference is noticable to me.

Exciting nonetheless.

iGgKl9eidS6aj.jpg

i4I2wNkH3jnWI.jpg

My TV is in use so I can't test this myself... but I severely doubt the game is upscaled to true 1080p. It would still be nice if the image is outputted to 1080p with some filtering versus it outputting to 480p over HDMI

Eusis

... upscaled by the Wii U, or upscaled by your TV?
Going by Chris Kohler's tweets about how he couldn't set the HD signal to 4:3 on his Bravia for VC games? Upscaled by Wii U.

Important for people to remember that upscaling =/= natively running at 720p/1080p, but if the Wii U's scaling is good then it STILL means it looks better than on Wii, even if it's no Dolphin.

DSix

Banned
Upscale is such a shitty word. It makes gullible people think that the games actually run in higher resolution, when all it really means is that it runs in the same shitty resolution except stretched over a bigger picture.

Basically it does nothing except add some blur.

Neff

I've spent all day trying to get details on Wii U BC performance and I'm very thankful for this.

Pics and/or video would be lovely, too.

Instro

Upscale is such a shitty word. It makes gullible people think that the games actually run in higher resolution, when all it really means is that it runs in the same shitty resolution except stretched over a bigger picture.

Well it does do a bit if the scaler is good. HDMI over component should clean up the image a bit as well.

Eusis

Either way HDMI > Component... so even if it's not truly upscaled, it should STILL look better than a Wii.
I never noticed a difference myself, BUT after the comparison between the GC's digital component versus the Wii's component it seems plausible, at least in this case. Would be annoying to juggle between PS3 and Wii U though, so I'll be testing with both when I get my Wii U to know for sure.

VALIS

Out of the dozens of Sim Cities I've made over the years in that franchise's various iterations, I'm sure at least half of them have been called "fart city usa." I salute you, OP.

Neff

To avoid confusion, I'll again present how upscaling works compared to upresing.

samuses.jpg

At the very least, true digital output will give a much better PQ than the Wii ever did.

CLEEK

... upscaled by the Wii U, or upscaled by your TV?

If the TV is saying it's getting a 1080p signal, then it's been unscaled by the Wii U.

Plug a Wii in to a 1080p TV, and your TV will get a 480p signal which the TV will upscale to fill the 1080x1920 screen.

Any non-native TV input is going to get upscaled. But how clean/ugly that scaling looks depends greatly on the device doing it. In general, HDTVs have pretty poor upscalers in them. Higher end Panny plasmsas and Bravias are pretty good, but no where near as good as dedicated scalers.

The b/c PS3 did a wonderful job of scaling PS2 games when connected to HDTVs. Far better resulting image than the same game played on a PS2 and the TV doing the scaling. Hopefully, the Wii U will be the same. I believe that in general, AMD GPUs offer decent scaling, but I might be wrong as I'm not really across PC tech.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't have a digital camera good enough to make a difference at home, but I can see a major difference in the scaling between my Wii and Wii U when changing inputs.

The Wii U's wii mode output actually puts a slight black border around all sides of the image. The nature of the scaling artifacts is different from the output of my Wii (using component, not composite). Colors on the Wii U side are more vibrant, less washed out by the upscale. I am not sure if one or the other is "cleaner" in terms of upscaling artifacts. But the Wii U side looks less stretched and distorted.

Verdict: I would assume the Wii U is upscaling the image before sending it to the TV. The output looks nothing like the TV's own scaler on the vanilla Wii's input.

Edit: don't overhype expecting it to look vastly superior, I'm just saying it's visibly different. The colors do look richer tho.

Top Bottom