• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

JRW
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:22 AM)
JRW's Avatar
Think it's safe to say the AI isnt so good at driving vehicles, Loving the game so far tho lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVJ5...=youtu.be&hd=1
Dynamic3
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:22 AM)
When attempting to force 16xAF using nVidia control panel, do I use the 'Far Cry 3 (farcy3.exe)' profile or the 'Far Cry 3 (fc3launch_pcUr.exe)'?
catotheyounger
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:24 AM)
catotheyounger's Avatar
I hope I can do 1080p on Ultra & some AA. If I need to bump a few things down, I will. What's the verdict?
OC'd i7 2600K @ 4.2ghz
16gb RAM
gtx570
IcyBlueStrawberry
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:30 AM)
IcyBlueStrawberry's Avatar

Originally Posted by Krappadizzle

What voltages should I run to get my i7 up to 4.2? I have an aftermarket cooler which keeps it nice and cool when at 3.8Ghz if I can bump it up anymore is love to.

In all honesty it depends on your mobo more than anything.

My processor (running on a P6TD Deluxe) will hit 3.8 at around 1.2-1.22 volts, but it hits a wall after that. I used to just leave it at 3.8 because I was worried about going too high, but a few months ago I decided that I was either going to get it running safely @4.2 or kill it trying lol. Eventually I managed to get stable with 1.35V on both the Vcore and QPI, but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're not overly worried about damaging your CPU.

The only reason I went for it was because I'm at the point where I'm looking for a reason to upgrade (read: I need a reason to justify spending a grand on a new mobo and CPU :P), but the common sense part of my brain is telling me that I should just wait for Haswell at this point.

EDIT: So that my post is at least a little on-topic, I was hoping that disabling HT would help with the stuttering like it did with BF3 at launch, but it didn't.
Last edited by IcyBlueStrawberry; 11-30-2012 at 02:37 AM.
statham
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:30 AM)
statham's Avatar
scared to ask x6 2.7 phenom, 460GTX @ 1600x900. 460 overclocked 15%
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(11-30-2012, 02:31 AM)
Stallion Free's Avatar

Originally Posted by JRW

Think it's safe to say the AI isnt so good at driving vehicles, Loving the game so far tho lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVJ5...=youtu.be&hd=1

That is terrifying. It being at night time made it even scarier.
Krappadizzle
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:38 AM)
Krappadizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by IcyBlueStrawberry

In all honesty it depends on your mobo more than anything.

My processor (running on a P6TD Deluxe) will hit 3.8 at around 1.2-1.22 volts, but it hits a wall after that. I used to just leave it at 3.8 because I was worried about going too high, but a few months ago I decided that I was either going to get it running safely @4.2 or kill it trying lol. Eventually I managed to get stable with 1.35V on both the Vcore and QPI, but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're not overly worried about damaging your CPU.

The only reason I went for it was because I'm at the point where I'm looking for a reason to upgrade (read: I need a reason to justify spending a grand on a new mobo and CPU :P), but the common sense part of my brain is telling me that I should just wait for Haswell at this point.

I completely understand. I'm actually in the same boat. I just found a pretty extensive guide actually. Running at 4.2 now actually. I'm the market for a new PC too. Though I know I should wait till the newest chipset to come out first. Honestly, the i7-920 has been one of the best processors I've ever had. 4 years and it still runs great. Hopefully this 4.2 ghz will stick, if not I'll clock back down to 3.8.
Felix Lighter
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:42 AM)
Felix Lighter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Krappadizzle

I completely understand. I'm actually in the same boat. I just found a pretty extensive guide actually. Running at 4.2 now actually. I'm the market for a new PC too. Though I know I should wait till the newest chipset to come out first. Honestly, the i7-920 has been one of the best processors I've ever had. 4 years and it still runs great. Hopefully this 4.2 ghz will stick, if not I'll clock back down to 3.8.

4.2 with a i7 920 is damn good. I have a i7 930 and I couldn't get it stable above 4.0 Ghz. 100% stable for 2 years at 3.9 Ghz but anything further and it shits the bed.
Krappadizzle
Member
(11-30-2012, 02:45 AM)
Krappadizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Felix Lighter

4.2 with a i7 920 is damn good. I have a i7 930 and I couldn't get it stable above 4.0 Ghz. 100% stable for 2 years at 3.9 Ghz but anything further and it shits the bed.

Well I can't speak for stability yet, but so far so good. I'll play FC3 all night and then run prime95 when I go to bed and see where in at in the morning.

I'm hoping the higher clock will give me better performance.
JRW
Member
(11-30-2012, 03:00 AM)
JRW's Avatar

Originally Posted by Krappadizzle

I completely understand. I'm actually in the same boat. I just found a pretty extensive guide actually. Running at 4.2 now actually. I'm the market for a new PC too. Though I know I should wait till the newest chipset to come out first. Honestly, the i7-920 has been one of the best processors I've ever had. 4 years and it still runs great. Hopefully this 4.2 ghz will stick, if not I'll clock back down to 3.8.

Which CPU cooler are you using? Ive had my i7 920 @ 3.36ghz for over 2 years with 0 issues but my load temps are borderline (Stock Intel cooler) only reason I haven't tried higher.
IcyBlueStrawberry
Member
(11-30-2012, 03:04 AM)
IcyBlueStrawberry's Avatar

Originally Posted by JRW

Which CPU cooler are you using? Ive had my i7 920 @ 3.36ghz for over 2 years with 0 issues but my load temps are borderline (Stock Intel cooler) only reason I haven't tried higher.

I've got an H70 with a pair of SP 120s and my Prime95 temps don't exceed 77.
zam
Member
(11-30-2012, 03:04 AM)
zam's Avatar
Running it at 1680x1050 with almost rock solid 60fps. Seen it dip to 54 at on point and down to 30 only once in a very dense jungle part.

Specs:
GTX 670 OC @ 1280MHz
i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz
16gb RAM

Settings:
Everything at the highest settings.
DX11
MSAA 2X
HDAO
Alpha to coverage: Off
V-Sync 1 frame

Gonna try with MSAA off to see if i can keep it at a constant 60fps.

Also does anyone know if SMAA works with this game?

Edit: MSAA off and my GPU is only running at 60% usage lol. From 85%-100% with MSAA 2X
Last edited by zam; 11-30-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Pimpbaa
Official Forum Cocksucker
(11-30-2012, 03:39 AM)
Pimpbaa's Avatar

Originally Posted by JRW

I have a smoother framerate with the Max gpu buffered frames set at 3, on the default 1 I get a lot of random / sudden FPS drops. The only downside is a slightly increased input lag with it set on 3. (i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / GTX 480 / 310.64 driver)

I get no stutter with 1, but it's very important to have this option on. Also setting the v-sync to 2 frames is basically triple buffering. I'm not getting the highest framerates, but at least the frames seem even and not stuttery.
legacyzero
Member
(11-30-2012, 03:57 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar
So I'm getting an average of 45-50 FPS on max DX11 settings with 2xAA.

She dips here and there, but overall a smooth experience. I need to pick a couple settings that I can reduce to get it to a smooth 60 without much of a quality hit.
Cannon Goose
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:17 AM)
Cannon Goose's Avatar
I was playing for a couple of hours when suddenly I couldn't connect to the uplay server or whatever. Then I went to the crafting menu...

There's nothing there anymore, same with the rucksack. Has this happened to anyone else? I honestly don't see how it could possibly be tied to Ubisoft's servers just because that would be the dumbest thing in the world.
earvcunanan
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:19 AM)
earvcunanan's Avatar
Where can I find the game profile config so I can adjust SSAO? Didn't see it in Steamapps.
i-Lo
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:22 AM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by legacyzero

So I'm getting an average of 45-50 FPS on max DX11 settings with 2xAA.

She dips here and there, but overall a smooth experience. I need to pick a couple settings that I can reduce to get it to a smooth 60 without much of a quality hit.

Can you link me to a post where you have posted your computer's specs?
Beaulieu
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:24 AM)
Beaulieu's Avatar

Originally Posted by earvcunanan

Where can I find the game profile config so I can adjust SSAO? Didn't see it in Steamapps.

in your documents, my games, ubisoft
Sethos
Banned
(11-30-2012, 05:25 AM)
Sethos's Avatar

Originally Posted by earvcunanan

Where can I find the game profile config so I can adjust SSAO? Didn't see it in Steamapps.

C:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3
FlyinJ
Douchebag. Yes, me.
(11-30-2012, 05:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Cannon Goose

I was playing for a couple of hours when suddenly I couldn't connect to the uplay server or whatever. Then I went to the crafting menu...



There's nothing there anymore, same with the rucksack. Has this happened to anyone else? I honestly don't see how it could possibly be tied to Ubisoft's servers just because that would be the dumbest thing in the world.

I just loaded the game, the uPlay client loaded fine. When I got into the actual game, it told me it couldn't connect to uPlay. I loaded my last save, and I was able to play until I hit the pause or map menu. The map appears blank, it shows I have zero money, and when I go back to the game it puts my character underground and I'm frozen.

WTF is going on.
Cannon Goose
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:28 AM)
Cannon Goose's Avatar

Originally Posted by FlyinJ

I just loaded the game, the uPlay client loaded fine. When I got into the actual game, it told me it couldn't connect to uPlay. I loaded my last save, and I was able to play until I hit the pause or map menu. The map appears blank, it shows I have zero money, and when I go back to the game it puts my character underground and I'm frozen.

WTF is going on.

Yep, I got lodged under the map when I tried to change a graphics setting... Love that Uplay!
MrTroubleMaker
(11-30-2012, 05:33 AM)
MrTroubleMaker's Avatar

Originally Posted by JRW

Think it's safe to say the AI isnt so good at driving vehicles, Loving the game so far tho lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVJ5...=youtu.be&hd=1

lol I <3 open world games, comedy naturally arises :)
earvcunanan
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:33 AM)
earvcunanan's Avatar
Thanks.

Does the SMAA injector work now? I've read it was crashing someone's game here.
Soi-Fong
Member
(11-30-2012, 05:51 AM)
Soi-Fong's Avatar
Anyone here know if AMD has released new drivers or caps yet?
Dmax3901
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:01 AM)
Dmax3901's Avatar
Couple of questions:

1. Is there some kind of guide that runs through the different settings available and how taxing each one of them is? If there isn't, and someone feels up to it, I would pay you in love. Lots of love.

2. Did the latest patch 1.01 or whatever it's called, improve performance a lot or at all?
haikira
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:06 AM)
haikira's Avatar
If i downloaded the game from steam, will it have automatically updated to 1.01?

I know how autopatching normally works with steam games, but with the Uplay launcher i wasn't sure if there's anything different going on here.
Sethos
Banned
(11-30-2012, 06:07 AM)
Sethos's Avatar

Originally Posted by haikira

If i downloaded the game from steam, will it have automatically updated to 1.01?

I know how autopatching normally works with steam games, but with the Uplay launcher i wasn't sure if there's anything different going on here.

Yes, believe the files off of Steam are 1.01 already.
CrichtonKicks
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:08 AM)
CrichtonKicks's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flyin J

I just loaded the game, the uPlay client loaded fine. When I got into the actual game, it told me it couldn't connect to uPlay. I loaded my last save, and I was able to play until I hit the pause or map menu. The map appears blank, it shows I have zero money, and when I go back to the game it puts my character underground and I'm frozen.

WTF is going on.

Put UPlay into Offline mode (under the settings tab) and restart Uplay. It won't log into the server and you will have all of your inventory, skills, etc, back.
Ledsen
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:08 AM)
Ledsen's Avatar

Originally Posted by tw1st

so I don't know if I'm missing something here, but I am unable to to see any difference between MSAA being off or set at 8.

There is also no FPS change while switching through MSAA options... weird...

Did I break something? Still seeing jaggies here :(

You have to quit to main menu when you change graphics options.
Krappadizzle
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:08 AM)
Krappadizzle's Avatar

Originally Posted by FlyinJ

I just loaded the game, the uPlay client loaded fine. When I got into the actual game, it told me it couldn't connect to uPlay. I loaded my last save, and I was able to play until I hit the pause or map menu. The map appears blank, it shows I have zero money, and when I go back to the game it puts my character underground and I'm frozen.

WTF is going on.

Originally Posted by Cannon Goose

Yep, I got lodged under the map when I tried to change a graphics setting... Love that Uplay!

Put uplay in offline mode. It won't interfere with your saves or anything. And after that leave it in offline mode. Uplay just plain sucks in general and is not needed when we have bloated digital distribution models as it is.
haikira
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:08 AM)
haikira's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

Yes, believe the files off of Steam are 1.01 already.

Cheers.
Angelus Errare
this looks like one of those Final Fantasy games lionhead always makes
(11-30-2012, 06:10 AM)
Angelus Errare's Avatar

Originally Posted by haikira

If i downloaded the game from steam, will it have automatically updated to 1.01?

I know how autopatching normally works with steam games, but with the Uplay launcher i wasn't sure if there's anything different going on here.

Steam will update it :)
Soi-Fong
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:12 AM)
Soi-Fong's Avatar

Originally Posted by IcyBlueStrawberry

I've got an H70 with a pair of SP 120s and my Prime95 temps don't exceed 77.

Girlfriend got me an H100, but I'm not really sure where to adjust the speed of the fans for it as well as overclocking my CPU. haha
Sethos
Banned
(11-30-2012, 06:13 AM)
Sethos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Soi-Fong

Girlfriend got me an H100, but I'm not really sure where to adjust the speed of the fans for it as well as overclocking my CPU. haha

You need to click the big fat button on the H100 itself, that's where you control fan speeds.
Soi-Fong
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:14 AM)
Soi-Fong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

You need to click the big fat button on the H100 itself, that's where you control fan speeds.

That doesn't seem to adjust it though. Well, the sound of the fans doesn't change. lol
Kritz
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:23 AM)
Kritz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cannon Goose

I was playing for a couple of hours when suddenly I couldn't connect to the uplay server or whatever. Then I went to the crafting menu...



There's nothing there anymore, same with the rucksack. Has this happened to anyone else? I honestly don't see how it could possibly be tied to Ubisoft's servers just because that would be the dumbest thing in the world.

jesus christ lol. STRENGHT
H2Yo
Member
(11-30-2012, 06:46 AM)
H2Yo's Avatar
While a little off topic, I was wondering if you guys knew how link steam to uPlay, I can't work it out for the life of me. Their forums are shithouse so there are no answers there either.

Hell I don't even know how to merge my uPlay on 360 with the uPlay on PC even though they use the same account name and email address.
Kind of bullshit when I have about 500 uPlay points on 360.. but 50 on PC...
Cannon Goose
Member
(11-30-2012, 07:06 AM)
Cannon Goose's Avatar

Originally Posted by H2Yo

While a little off topic, I was wondering if you guys knew how link steam to uPlay, I can't work it out for the life of me. Their forums are shithouse so there are no answers there either.

Hell I don't even know how to merge my uPlay on 360 with the uPlay on PC even though they use the same account name and email address.
Kind of bullshit when I have about 500 uPlay points on 360.. but 50 on PC...

uPlay is such a weird thing. I bought my Far Cry key from another website and in order to get it to show up in the uPlay games menu I had to do some black magic voodoo shit.

After looking through the uPlay client and realising that you can't just simply copy and paste your key to activate games, I had to download the Ubisoft Download Manager for Far Cry 3. Yes, a separate download manager that appears to exist for the sole reason of downloading Far Cry 3.

That downloaded roughly 9GB of split .RAR files and an executable. It then automatically ran and started installing Far Cry 3 to a hidden temp folder somewhere in AppData. I then had to figure out which folder uPlay reads from when it detects games and had to just copy that entire install over to that folder for it to recognise it.

Then finally it had to install Far Cry 3 once more through uPlay for it to actually work and let me play it.
Parham
aka azentium
(11-30-2012, 07:12 AM)
Parham's Avatar

Does anyone know what might be causing this particular issue? For one reason or another, I have only experienced this problem while playing Far Cry 3 and Assassin's Creed 3.
Last edited by Parham; 11-30-2012 at 07:14 AM.
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(11-30-2012, 07:12 AM)
SalsaShark's Avatar
holy shit and I thought Vaas couldnt get any creepier

try reverting to older drivers
Zep
Banned
(11-30-2012, 07:17 AM)
Zep's Avatar
Someone send that to Ubisoft and see if they could make that a special edition Vaas for multiplayer.
KyleN
Banned
(11-30-2012, 07:24 AM)
Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF thanks to a friend. Not sure if i like it.

Also got rid of FXAA, looks much better now.

Edit: Now i get good fps with SMAA + Downsampling from 3200x1800.
Last edited by KyleN; 11-30-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Ledsen
Member
(11-30-2012, 07:32 AM)
Ledsen's Avatar

Originally Posted by KyleN

Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF. Not sure if i like it.

The distant land textures are ugly as shit, the DoF at least hides it a little.
H2Yo
Member
(11-30-2012, 08:12 AM)
H2Yo's Avatar
So what's the deal with not being able to connect to uplay at the moment? Plays ok until I need to craft, going to the menu makes me fall through the world :P
Lach
Member
(11-30-2012, 08:19 AM)
Lach's Avatar
was playing quite a while yesterday

i7 2600K
16gb RAM
gtx580

on ultra with no problems. I'm not someone who recognizes the difference between 30 and 60 fps though...
PedroPanache
Member
(11-30-2012, 09:02 AM)
PedroPanache's Avatar

Originally Posted by angular graphics

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html

Might be something of a novice question, but in regard to these driver updates, how come the GTX 670 card is never mentioned in terms of individual game performance increases? Just the 680 and 660.
Baloonatic
Member
(11-30-2012, 09:06 AM)
Baloonatic's Avatar
Worked fine for the first hour when I played earlier but now it just completely locks up after 10 minutes or so of playing :(
earvcunanan
Member
(11-30-2012, 09:06 AM)
earvcunanan's Avatar

Originally Posted by KyleN

Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF. Not sure if i like it.



Also got rid of FXAA, looks much better now.

Edit: Now i get good fps with SMAA + Downsampling from 3200x1800.

Where do you put the SMAA files? I tried putting the DX9 and 10 version into where the Far Cry 3 folder was and I didn't know if it was working or not. Still saw some jaggies.
Skyfireblaze
Member
(11-30-2012, 09:22 AM)
Skyfireblaze's Avatar

Originally Posted by KyleN

Did some CFG tweaking, managed to turn off DOF. Not sure if i like it.



Also got rid of FXAA, looks much better now.

Edit: Now i get good fps with SMAA + Downsampling from 3200x1800.

Whoa would you mind sharing how exactly you did that with the CFG tweaking? :o
Ledsen
Member
(11-30-2012, 09:30 AM)
Ledsen's Avatar
Yeah SMAA injector crashes my game, how did you do it? Do I have to disable D3DO?

Thread Tools