• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

frankie_baby
(12-01-2012, 11:47 PM)

Originally Posted by ElectricBlanketFire

Take a picture of the screen so we can see what you're talking about.

Well its quarter to midnight so its all working fine now, will post one up tomorrow

Just comes up with a message saying something like times during which this can be accessed have been restricted
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(12-01-2012, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by nhlducks35

What does that have to do with paying 50 cents to make an account if you're under 18 on a Nintendo console?

Nothing? I just asked a simple question.
ElectricBlanketFire
Too early for flapjacks?
(12-01-2012, 11:50 PM)

Originally Posted by frankie_baby

Well its quarter to midnight so its all working fine now, will post one up tomorrow

Just comes up with a message saying something like times during which this can be accessed have been restricted

Set the Wii U's clock back Animal Crossing style.
Last edited by ElectricBlanketFire; 12-01-2012 at 11:53 PM.
lenovox1
(12-01-2012, 11:51 PM)

You should email customer support. Seems like assn issue on their end, like was said upthread.
Glorified G
(12-01-2012, 11:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Meelow

It's 50 cents, if you can afford a Wii U then you can pay 50 cents for this, and I'd say the same for Sony and Microsoft.

With that logic, how bout all three charge 5 cents every time you turn on the console. It's only a nickle, if you can afford a videogame system, you can afford 5 cents.
CoolS
(12-01-2012, 11:52 PM)
Sounds exactly like that stupid german law thats applicable in DD shops in germany, like Origin e.g.

No idea why this happens in the UK though.
frankie_baby
(12-01-2012, 11:52 PM)

Originally Posted by lenovox1

You should email customer support. Seems like assn issue on their end, like was said upthread.

I may do that Monday morning
Meelow
Banned
(12-01-2012, 11:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Glorified G

With that logic, how bout all three charge 5 cents every time you turn on the console. It's only a nickle, if you can afford a videogame system, you can afford 5 cents.

You pay for it once and it's done with, it's very different.

Anyway, if people are complaining about this then they will complain about anything.
frankie_baby
(12-01-2012, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by CoolS

Sounds exactly like that stupid german law thats applicable in DD shops in germany, like Origin e.g.

No idea why this happens in the UK though.

Ah seeing as Nintendo Europe is based in Germany that could make sense (not that I no anything about German law)
Glorified G
(12-01-2012, 11:56 PM)

If you can afford a Wii U then it shouldnt be an issue
epmode
(12-01-2012, 11:58 PM)

Anyway, if people are complaining about this then they will complain about anything.

Thankfully, GAF is full of people who will defend bad decisions from multinational corporations for free.
deviljho
Banned
(12-02-2012, 12:00 AM)
Oersted
(12-02-2012, 12:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Roto13

Nintendo charges one one hundredth the cost of a year of Xbox Live to set up a Nintendo Network child account.

Nintendo, behind in everything.

Ah seeing as Nintendo Europe is based in Germany that could make sense (not that I no anything about German law)

Doesn“t matter in this case. Just call the hotline or mail if it bothers you so much
Joseph Merrick
#2 Tingle Fan
(right after Beezy)
(12-02-2012, 12:22 AM)
I get this as well. seem to be a UK feature.
Captain AHat
(12-02-2012, 03:38 PM)
It's a pain in the ass! Can't buy or even access information on zombiU or AssCreed.

The message says: "You cannot view this content" "The times during which this content can be viewed have been restricted"

I'm 29 years old ffs, I don't need Nintendo to shield me from scary zombies and the assassination of British folk before 11pm.
ScreenSplitter
(12-02-2012, 03:48 PM)
What the hell? Difference being, you try and access the Harold & Kumar Christmas trailer on Nintendo Video, and it just brings up a DD/MM/YY format age prompt.

You know, like everything on the internet ever.
wsippel
(12-02-2012, 03:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Joseph Merrick

I get this as well. seem to be a UK feature.

It's the same thing in Germany. I'm happy we get 18+ games on the eShop at all, honestly.
entrement
(12-02-2012, 03:50 PM)
What a weird law.
BowieZ
T-minus 3 crappy threads until Junior Status is obtained!
(12-02-2012, 03:53 PM)
Yup this applies to me as well.

I'm 27, can't even click on ZombiU etc in the eShop without an 'error' msg saying You Cannot View This, Time Restriction etc

AU PAL Wii U, but I'm registered in the UK.
brucelito
(12-02-2012, 03:55 PM)
Same thing here in Sweden, and I“m sure it has nothing to do with national laws/regulation.

Too bad you can“t adjust your timezone in your profile, maybe that would have worked.
frankie_baby
(12-02-2012, 04:01 PM)
Well I'm glad to hear people actually realise what the hell I'm going on about now, will be contacting Nintendo to complain about this
BowieZ
T-minus 3 crappy threads until Junior Status is obtained!
(12-02-2012, 04:03 PM)

Well I'm glad to hear people actually realise what the hell I'm going on about now, will be contacting Nintendo to complain about this

I look forward to their dismissive yet friendly reply.
Nemesis_
(12-02-2012, 04:03 PM)
Are people ACTUALLY complaining about FIFTY FUCKING CENTS?

REALLY
LonelyGreyWolf
(12-02-2012, 04:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Nemesis_

REALLY

xyla
(12-02-2012, 04:27 PM)
Same here, it's the same stupid shit with some sites like gamestar.de that restrict their videos by time, unless you use a postident registration or something simlar.

Nintendo should have made parental controls necessary in Germany with the first start, so that you can set the slider to USK 18 and be done with it. I'd gladly pay the 50 cent fee too, just to prove that I am psychologically able to access the ZombiU gamepage before 11pm.
ScreenSplitter
(12-02-2012, 04:29 PM)

Originally Posted by xyla

Nintendo should have made parental controls necessary in Germany with the first start, so that you can set the slider to USK 18 and be done with it. I'd gladly pay the 50 cent fee too, just to prove that I am psychologically able to access the ZombiU gamepage before 11pm.

...physically maybe? So wait, UK/EU don't require a £0.50 charge? That's a little silly, I'd be glad to do that. Not going to make me overdrawn or anything.
Protome
(12-02-2012, 04:40 PM)

Originally Posted by ScreenSplitter

...physically maybe? So wait, UK/EU don't require a £0.50 charge? That's a little silly, I'd be glad to do that. Not going to make me overdrawn or anything.

And as always we'd still be getting ripped off compared to American prices ;)
xyla
(12-02-2012, 04:41 PM)

Originally Posted by ScreenSplitter

That too ;) leo.org tells me that it's 'mentally' I was looking for in that context.

The eShop didn't ask for any transaction. Then again, the fiorst thing I did was to buy NSMBU digitally.
ScreenSplitter
(12-02-2012, 04:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Protome

And as always we'd still be getting ripped off compared to American prices ;)

Oh yeah, definitely. If it's anything eShop related... it'll be a £5 charge.
darkness_s
(12-02-2012, 04:42 PM)

Originally Posted by epmode

Thankfully, GAF is full of people who will defend bad decisions from multinational corporations for free.

In this particular case, Nintendo is only complying to the law. Specifically the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which requires them to charge that fee.
grimshawish
Banned
(12-02-2012, 04:45 PM)
Who the fuck does Nintendo think they are!? 50 cents!? Your not fucking Microsoft Nintendo!
opticalmace
(12-02-2012, 04:55 PM)

Originally Posted by darkness_s

In this particular case, Nintendo is only complying to the law. Specifically the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which requires them to charge that fee.

Don't most places just put a temporary $0.01 hold on the credit card and refund it afterwards? Unless I'm misinformed, I don't see why Nintendo has to profit off this.
metalslimer
(12-02-2012, 04:57 PM)
How did this topic become about the 50cent thing when....oh nvm
Meelow
Banned
(12-02-2012, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Nemesis_

REALLY

Polk
(12-02-2012, 05:02 PM)

Originally Posted by opticalmace

Don't most places just put a temporary $0.01 hold on the credit card and refund it afterwards? Unless I'm misinformed, I don't see why Nintendo has to profit off this.

I'm not sure if they really profit from this. There's fee someone has to pay.
Most companies take the loss on themselves because they hope you will buy something on the future.
Looks like Nintendo thinks they won't get any income.
I still think fee should be $1 but counted to your wiiu wallet.
tolkir
(12-02-2012, 05:45 PM)
The same happens to me in Spain. I don't know why.
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(12-02-2012, 06:50 PM)
Italy, cannot see Zombie U's details page either... wtf...
OldJadedGamer
Banned
(12-02-2012, 06:57 PM)

Set the Wii U's clock back Animal Crossing style.

I wouldn't do that....

jonno394
(12-02-2012, 07:02 PM)
haha. just went to ZombiU and cant access it as "the time this can be viewed has been restricted". Well played Nintendo......
Haunted
(12-02-2012, 07:05 PM)

Just be happy your parents paid the 50 cents.

:lol :lol

Thread started out hilarious but went to serious business real quick once it's clear that this restriction is... real? wtf is this nazi bullshit. Maybe it's a bug having a setting for kid accounts affect all of them?

Get your shit together, Nintendo.
Last edited by Haunted; 12-02-2012 at 07:09 PM.
frankie_baby
(12-02-2012, 07:10 PM)

Originally Posted by BowieZ

I look forward to their dismissive yet friendly reply.

So do I, I'm thinking if Nintendo aren't any help might get in touch with 3rd parties well ubisoft specifically cant imagine they'd be too happy if people can only buy zombi u in the middle of the night
sakipon
(12-02-2012, 07:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Haunted

Maybe it's a bug having a setting for kid accounts affect all of them?

Why would it be OK for little Timmy to view adult stuff at night? Especially as he can take the GamePad to his room and boot up eShop from there while his parents are sleeping.
BibiMaghoo
(12-02-2012, 07:37 PM)
That's up to the parents to monitor.

Not nintendo.
Flayer
(12-02-2012, 08:06 PM)
Wait, so you can't play the digital version of ZombieU in the UK until after 11pm?! That's the most amazing and unbelievable thing I've heard in weeks.
Captain AHat
(12-02-2012, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Flayer

Wait, so you can't play the digital version of ZombieU in the UK until after 11pm?! That's the most amazing and unbelievable thing I've heard in weeks.

No no, you can play it whenever you like, you just can't buy it till after 11pm
frankie_baby
(12-02-2012, 08:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Captain AHat

No no, you can play it whenever you like, you just can't buy it till after 11pm

Or even look up any information on it
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(12-02-2012, 08:14 PM)
No charge in the UK for setting up a child Nintendo account - just an email confirmation. It assumes the child put an adult email address though, could have been anything.