• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB: Pokémon X and Y for 3DS (Coming October 2013 WW) - Lord Fennekin Ascends

Best starter?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz

The solution is to make HMs standard TMs, but only allow their use outside of battle available at the appropriate times like they already do. There's no reason for them to be locked on to a Pokemon.

Yeah they should have done this a while ago. Flash got that treament, not sure why the other moves were still locked.

I'm a little bit bored of Pokemon turn-based combat. With 3D models I was hoping for full pokemon control action combat but I suppose not... maybe next time....

I doubt any of the strategy or depth of the current system would translate to a real-time system very well. Plus, isn't there something like that already on WiiWare?

Team Pokemon X and Fennekin for me. Excited for a ww release that way it'll be the first pokemon game I go in blind. The only thing I'll look at is the starter evo line and the exclusive pokemon. So far I love the stag legendary though so I'll go with that. Fennekin has the most appeal to me but I'll see how each evolves. Chester and froakie are cool too.

Gen 1- Bulbasaur & pokemon red
Gen 2- Cyndaquil & pokemon gold
Gen 3- Treeko & Ruby
Gen 4- Turtwig & Diamond
Gen 5- Oshawot & White
Gen 6- Fennekin & X?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So when will gaming journalism pick this up?

from my point of view,the less legandaries/once encounter pkmn,the more actual good pokèmon you can choose for your team..pokèmon you can evolve,breed,train from the beginning,instead of get a lv 40/70 beast that doesn't need train and that you feel guilty to use because it's overpowered,they are basically trphies,more than actual pkmn,you capture them,and you put them on the archive ad forgot about them.
plus most of the time those pkmn are banned from multiplayer,and for good reasons

Only the "true" legendaries are banned due to their obscene stats. Lesser trios like the birds, musketeers, etc. aren't.

Froakie looks amazing! Definitely my first choice.

And I'm digging the old-school graphics. Reminds me of megaman legends.

:(

Salsa

alright so, lets get down to the fundamental things Gamefreak should "fix" with this game:
  • Put all the info in-game. Catch rate of pokeballs, breeding move list, etc. Maybe even EVs and such (wont happen because manuals sell)
  • Make HMs separate from the combat moves/remove them entirely and look for an alternative
  • Transfer all Pokemon from previous game at once
  • Make the game faster in general
  • More than one save file
  • Tweaks to the trading system so its not all impossible to get/hacked Pokemon

what am I missing? refering to stuff that should be fixed since a long time ago, not new features

Xosen

Pokemon's among the last bastion of turn based RPGs. If it goes, the genre dies with it.

I'm playing Persona 4 right now, and I love turn based RPGs. Pokemon did not create de genre and the genre will not die if Pokemon goes to action. With the gameboy it was a must as the hardware was a limitation, now I believe Pokemon could 'evolve' :)P) into something else.

Somnid

I'm a little bit bored of Pokemon turn-based combat. With 3D models I was hoping for full pokemon control action combat but I suppose not... maybe next time....

They call it Pokemon Rumble.

The solution is to make HMs standard TMs, but only allow their use outside of battle available at the appropriate times like they already do. There's no reason for them to be locked on to a Pokemon.

Meh, I like separation better. HM can be 5th move or not effect battle at all. Every Pokemon can have exactly one so you need variety but not gimping.

Berordn

Yeah they should have done this a while ago. Flash got that treament, not sure why the other moves were still locked.

Flash was also never mandatory in any sense, you could just as easily get through dark caves without it (I didn't even know it existed until I beat the game, the first time I played Yellow).

For the others, there's some hypothetical situations where forgetting the move and trading the Pokemon would cause you to be stuck, forcing you to restart the game. One of these actually happened in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, where a man will trade a Finneon for a Magikarp on his island. If Finneon was the only Pokemon who can learn surf in your party and you don't have a Pokemon with Fly with you at the time, there's no way to escape.

This could happen in Gen V as well because of the ability to trade everywhere, but it can also be remedied the same way.

Obviously some smarter design would prevent this, and it's what they ought to be looking out for, but I guess it's still enough of a concern to them.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was pronouncing it as "Ches-spin" for quite awhile till I realized it was "ches-pin", haha.

Ultima_5

I'm stoked. Going to start saving for a 3dsxl right away. :). So happy it looks dragon quest esque

I hope it easy to transfer/ get old mons cuz I wanna complete the pokedex. Haven't done that since emerald

Majukun

an even better soultion would be to attach some abilities to pokèmon on default..so if i want to surd,i'll search for a pokèmon who has the "swim" ability.to go faster you have to find one that has the "rideable" trait other then the swim.....
same for any environment related puzzle you can think of (you need to win a race to go forward ?search for a rideable pkmn with a good highspeed and enter the competition)

this way you would have an interest in capturing many different types of pokèmon apart from the whole "catch them all" philosophy.

RM8

OH MAN. So much hype, it's going to be a long year. Also, it seems like for the first time ever I won't be choosing the grass starter.

EDIT: Nope, I'm pretty sure I'm choosing the grass starter.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still scratching my head as to how the battle models are of equal quality to DQIX or Okamiden.

Double

Judging by this picture, it's possibly save to say that X/Y will have a more traditional overworld system similar to the old Dragon Quests or the Tales series? In contrast to the cities or the forest field, the proportions are completely off in this one. A giant character in a small world.

Y9Q3u.png
You realize he is standing on a cliff above all things?

Salsa

an even better soultion would be to attach some abilities to pokèmon on default..so if i want to surd,i'll search for a pokèmon who has the "swim" ability.to go faster you have to find one that has the "rideable" trait other then the swim.....
same for any environment related puzzle you can think of (you need to win a race to go forward ?search for a rideable pkmn with a good highspeed and enter the competition)

this way you would have an interest in capturing many different types of pokèmon apart from the whole "catch them all" philosophy.

this still beats the point of removing HMs since id still have to carry Pokemon based on their HM "abilities" and not their battle performance

Zeroth

alright so, lets get down to the fundamental things Gamefreak should "fix" with this game:
  • Put all the info in-game. Catch rate of pokeballs, breeding move list, etc. Maybe even EVs and such (wont happen because manuals sell)
  • Make HMs separate than the combat moves/remove them entirely and look for an alternative

[*] Make the game faster in general

[*] More than one save file

what am I missing? refering to stuff that should be fixed since a long time ago, not new features

These two I'm pretty sure won't happen.

First one depends on hardware, and by what we've seen on the 3DS, it's unlikely they will be able to pull 60 FPS on the overworld (I assume that's what you mean by fast, since BW battles are already at 60 FPS).

Second one won't happen because limiting save files also incentives players to trade to obtain more unique pokemon, instead of having multiples copies with a single cartridge. Additionally, technically the game already has 2 saves, it's just that one save is only in case the main one is corrupted.

Majukun

So when will gaming journalism pick this up?

Only the "true" legendaries are banned due to their obscene stats. Lesser trios like the birds, musketeers, etc. aren't.

they still aren't breedable,so you can't train them properly,so using them in a serious multiplayer environment is a problem.

• Make HMs separate than the combat moves/remove them entirely and look for an alternative

Partner Pokemon walking with you. Should've been a standard since Gen 3 and all I ever want each gen to have back(and why SoulSilver is my personal favorite).

• Make HMs separate from the combat moves/remove them entirely and look for an alternative

Great suggestions, especially the bolded one. I loved B/W, but opted out of B2/W2 because I didn't want to deal with the slow pace again.

I'd also suggest full-range walking/movement as opposed to just the basic 4 directions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics look pretty good to me (especially Pokémon), and there's still time for them to get polished.

But what do you guys expect from the 3DS, really? It's not a particularly powerful system.

Probably, but it's always possible they flip them like Black and White, maybe. So I'm not committed to either version yet. :D
That made sense for black and white for the yin yang thing, boxart design and story. I can't see any point of putting the x shaped pokemon exclusively for Y and vice versa.

rSpooky

Looks great my daughter will go apeshit over this, good thing we got here 3DS XL for Christmas.
I might have to try and steal it from her once in a while ;) have not played Pokemon since gold/silver :p

Salsa

These two I'm pretty sure won't happen.

First one depends on hardware, and by what we've seen on the 3DS, it's unlikely they will be able to pull 60 FPS on the overworld (I assume that's what you mean by fast, since BW battles are already at 60 FPS).

no, I mean fast game-wise. Faster transitions into battles, faster dialogue, faster pokemon center process. Nothing to do with framerate. I mean fast not smooth.

Berordn

That made sense for black and white for the yin yang thing, boxart design and story. I can't see any point of putting the x shaped pokemon exclusively for Y and vice versa.

Maybe they'll pull a Gold/Silver and they're both available after the postgame at least.

Wiz

I'm actually interested in how much attention they put into the 3D effect. It could make battles a lot more enjoyable if they also utilize a dynamic camera (which looks like the case).

FillerB

Rather not. Seems a bit too helpful/information overload. Finding out how stuff (breeding) works is part of the charm. For everything else there is Serebii.
    Have the actual semi-useful ones (Surf, Strength) as TM and others (Flash, Cut) separate.
    YES. GOD YES.
    Maybe have the animation speed as a slider-option? From "off", to "1x" to "3x".
    Not really necessary but 3 save-slots would be nice.
    Yes, obviously

My comments in bold.

Did you miss the lighting in the environment and battles?

Pokemon Stadium on the N64 still has better battle graphics. Nintendo really needs to outsource the graphics to a different developer. This looks about on par with your average DS RPG now when it should be on the same level with Revelations, Mario 3D Land or Kid Icarus.

Trey

I want allodis. Here's my additions:

Cut back on all the rather useless key items.

Streamline the online component so trading is extremely simple and quick.

Give everyone a perfect IV'd Nidoran(m) because Nidoking is a boss.

EulaCapra

I hope people weren't getting their hopes up on those detailed Pokedex 3D models. That may have been too hardcore as that style loses some charm. I actually expected deformed people and cel-shaded Pokemon like in Pokemon Battrio, and I was not left disappointed.

I usually go with Water starters, but Chespin is too adorable and that starter toon pic is amazing.

789shadow

Banned
Pokemon Stadium on the N64 still has better battle graphics. Nintendo really needs to outsource the graphics to a different developer. This looks about on par with your average DS RPG now when it should be on the same level with Revelations, Mario 3D Land or Kid Icarus.
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

harmonize

Seems Chespin is the least popular; I wonder how long it will take for somebody to draw up a sad comic/fanart that tries to guilt people into choosing it akin to when Piplup and Oshawott were first revealed.

BowieZ

Banned
Continuing with the French theme, Chespin could be chestnut + espin, which is the Middle French word for "spined", for example, porcupine is "porc espin" or literally spined pig. It's "puerco espin" in Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom