• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Roadmap

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jailbroken would probably mean modified as stated above or simply the first version of the card before it was actually tweaked for the PC consumers.

Orayn

I'm ready for PS4 to blow me away. I want Killzone 4 to make the Killzone 2 trailer look like a ps2 game :p

I want a conservatively spec'd, developer-friendly machine with a base price of $300 and an emphasis on DD and things other than AAA $60 retail+$50 season pass mainstream action schlock.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Have two consoles ever gone head to head before with the same launch window?

Yes the xbox and game cube launched the same holiday season. The Wii and PS3 launched in the same holiday season also. This is in the US i am talking about. The saturn and PS1 also launched the same year. One in may and the other in the fall.

Borman

"Jailbroken" video card could be a modified firmware. The original Xbox Alpha Development kit had a modified Nvidia card for its GPU.

Derrick01

Banned
I want a conservatively spec'd, developer-friendly machine with a base price of $300 and an emphasis on DD and things other than AAA $60 retail+$50 season pass mainstream action schlock.

I'd like Sony to stay alive though and not let MS get all of the games with their beast console. Regardless it'll be more dev friendly this time since all signs point to them abandoning Cell. But this generation has dragged on long enough with shit tech, we need a big jump with tablets and phones creeping up there in power.

Rumored PS4 with half the ram of the rumored 720? That's going to be a huge discrepancy.
I'm no hardcore wizard of tech understanding but isn't it much better RAM? Combine that with not knowing how much is used for the the OS on Durango. Too many unknowns.

If the spec rumours for both consoles are true, they are using almost the same components. This will be interesting, because then it will only be content and exclusive deals that matter..

Zaventem

That's to bad.It's already happened right now so i don't see how that will make a difference for the PS4

Grinchy

Banned
Awesome Gif!!! Just reminds me how "impeccable" Mikes movement was in his prime. Anyway yeah it will be an interesting E3.

I can't even tell how he's able to see the punches coming when he's at the lowest point...yet he dodges them all perfectly.

As for PS4, I'll wait and see. I already assume MS will charge the Online Tard Tax, but I'm worried Sony will follow suit. If they do, I'll just build a new PC.

AOC83

Banned

I want a beast. Go big or go home!

Rumored PS4 with half the ram of the rumored 720? That's going to be a huge discrepancy.

Not necessarily. Those Xbox rumours are from the devkit, and the amount of RAM in the devkits (especially early ones) is commonly double what it is in the final retail product. Also GDDR5 is much fast than DDR3 when it comes to RAM. Time will tell however.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'd like Sony to stay alive though and not let MS get all of the games with their beast console. Regardless it'll be more dev friendly this time since all signs point to them abandoning Cell. But this generation has dragged on long enough with shit tech, we need a big jump with tablets and phones creeping up there in power.

I completely agree with this. They need a solid jump to stay ahead of tablets and phones for a long time. A small jump were tablets catch them in power in 2 years would be a disaster. Casuals are moving that way the way it is. To give up a big advantage to them would be a disaster IMO.

Erasus

Mite b cool

Wonder if faster RAM can make up for there being less

Also less cores than Durango is a bummer but I think MS might lock some down for OS?

Globox_82

Banned
Anyone knows how PS3 dev kits look?

BAWR5M2CIAACs5u.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/289798162913304577/photo/1

Those dev kits behind them look huge, are PS3 dev kits that big or is it someting else?

also to the left, it looks like big carton boxes?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
PS4 "Orbis"
- AMD APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores, Higher Clock than X720/Durango
- Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution
- 2-4GB GDDR5
- Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Xbox 720 "Durango"
- AMD Jaguar 1.6GHZ 8-Core
- AMD 8800/8900 GPU
- 8GB Ram (DDR3?)
- Launch 2013

Now those are two beastly consoles.

Both are pretty similar which is good news. Orbis should be much easier to program for than PS3 too.

Anyone knows how PS3 dev kits look?

https://twitter.com/SuckerPunchProd/status/289798162913304577/photo/1

Those dev kits behind then look huge, are PS3 dev kits that big or is it someting else?

at this stage they would look like big black PC towers.

Orayn

A $300 PS4 would still be an absolute beast compared to the HD Twins. I just don't want a repeat of 599 US DOLLARS with Sony hemorrhaging money on hardware. They can't afford to bleed like that.

A $300 PS4 would still be an absolute beast compared to the HD Twins. I just don't want a repeat of 599 US DOLLARS with Sony hemorrhaging money on hardware. They can't afford to bleed like that.
you really think that's gonna happen again though. There's nothing new like bluray in it this time, that was expensive as fuckkk back in the day.

Anth0ny

the launch lineup for ps4 is going to be so awful

looking forward to e3 though, they should have some nice trailers for games that will never come out

Brera

Banned
easier plus devs are now used to parallel programming.

PS2 was so ahead of its time.

What input does Ken have?

alcide

Banned
It would be nice if they both ran the same hardware and so developers didn't have to spend money developing for 2 different platforms.

In fact with the way Nintendo is going, I'd rather Sony and Microsoft just built a console together this generation.

Orayn

you really think that's gonna happen again though. There's nothing new like bluray in it this time, that was expensive as fuckkk back in the day.

Since Vita did the whole "price yourself out of the market, lack killer apps, and sell at a loss" thing at the worst possible time, I've concluded that Sony is incapable of learning from their mistakes. So yeah, I'm still afraid.

Not necessarily. Those Xbox rumours are from the devkit, and the amount of RAM in the devkits (especially early ones) is commonly double what it is in the final retail product. Also GDDR5 is much fast than DDR3 when it comes to RAM. Time will tell however.

Durango devs kits ram is 12GB, not 8GB. And not always the dev kits has double ram. VGLeaks rumor said 12GB dev kits, 4GB for debug and 8GB for final hardware (8GB+4GB = 12GB).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
The hell, PS4. Even if it's faster RAM, it should be at least 8 GB in this day and age. Xbox has the right idea.

Word is that Sony was waiting to see what ram Microsoft was going with and how much before they locked down their specs. So it could have changed. I believe the latest reliable news we got was they went with 4gb gddr5.

Elios83

agreed

but Q4 2013 could mean March 2014 launch....

Q4 2013 is October-December 2013, this is not a fiscal report.
They will definetly try whatever they can to launch in the US at the end of the year also because we know that next gen games will be ready by then if Durango is launching at the same time.
Europe as always will see some kind of delay until March 2014 because of supply issues :/
Japan who knows, but clearly US is the priority in terms of where to launch first.

DieH@rd

Banned
Two completely different things... GDDR5 is graphics card memory, DDR3 is system RAM.

I assume you are aware that Xbox 360 has 512MB of GDDR5 as both system and vram memory [one unified pool]? :D

Both new consoles will have unified pools, Durango with DDR and Orbis with GDDR. Cheap DDR will allow larger variety of assets and better texture resolution, but GDDR will allow much faster transfer times, lower latencies, better streaming. In the end, both consoles will end up with very simmilar visuals, but they will be achieved with different rendering tactics.

Top Bottom