• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Bravely Default (3DS) towns affected by time of day lighting ?

Despera

Banned
I still think it's a good game, and if you are more tolerant for otaku bullshit, it's probably an amazing game. There's a lot to like here, but I disagree with people who say this is somehow better than some of the best SNES and PS1 era RPGs.

Then again, I gave up on Xenoblade after 20 hours or so, so maybe my tastes are just different from modern JRPG fans.
I wasn't expecting the story to be any good anyways. The real reason why I'm disappointed is the high frequency of random battles.

I can hardly tolerate that nowadays.

hongcha

I really wasn't expecting the story to be any good, but the real reason why I'm disappointed is the high frequency of random battles.

The random encounter rate is "just right" in this game. I've played plenty of JRPGs that had an irritating, high encounter rate, and this is not one of them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't expecting the story to be any good anyways. The real reason why I'm disappointed is the high frequency of random battles.

I can hardly tolerate that nowadays.

With the encounter rate lowering job skill equipped, it didn't bother me much at all. It certainly helps that the battles in this game are pretty fun.

Despera

Banned
The random encounter rate is "just right" in this game. I've played plenty of JRPGs that had an irritating, high encounter rate, and this is not one of them.
With the encounter rate lowering job skill equipped, it didn't bother me much at all. It certainly helps that the battles in this game are pretty fun.
Oh okay, cool. Hype partially restored.

I still think it's a good game, and if you are more tolerant for otaku bullshit, it's probably an amazing game. There's a lot to like here, but I disagree with people who say this is somehow better than some of the best SNES and PS1 era RPGs.

Are you talking about
Idea in the bikini outfit
? I actually thought it was a nice play on the trope, rather than outright fan service.

I'm still stuck on my way to the
Fire Temple
but I keep dying in that dungeon and leaving it for 2-3 weeks.

Are you just getting to the Flowell town? If so, that's just around where I really started to dislike the game. Some of the writing/characters/settings are just irritating to me. It's got a kind cynicism that you only see on anonymous Japanese message boards--hard to describe, but some of the loli-perv pandering stuff got on my nerves. I dropped the game for a while around that point, but decided to come back recently. I'm now 42 hours in and nearing the
true
ending. I think it gets a lot better after Flowell and there are some genuinely interesting points to the story, but there's also a lot to dislike. I'll post my final thoughts once I'm done, but right now it's just a 'good' game, with some high highs and some very low lows.

Very frequent in dungeons, but quite infrequent on the world map. You can also equip job skills to either lower or increase the encounter rate.

Then again, I gave up on Xenoblade after 20 hours or so, so maybe my tastes are just different from modern JRPG fans.
Confirms my suspicions.

urfe

Are you just getting to the Flowell town? If so, that's just around where I really started to dislike the game. Some of the writing/characters/settings are just irritating to me. It's got a kind cynicism that you only see on anonymous Japanese message boards--hard to describe, but some of the loli-perv pandering stuff got on my nerves. I dropped the game for a while around that point, but decided to come back recently. I'm now 42 hours in and nearing the
true
ending. I think it gets a lot better after Flowell and there are some genuinely interesting points to the story, but there's also a lot to dislike. I'll post my final thoughts once I'm done, but right now it's just a 'good' game, with some high highs and some very low lows.

Very frequent in dungeons, but quite infrequent on the world map. You can also equip job skills to either lower or increase the encounter rate.

I'm doing the subquest around Flowell town right now. Here are my main issues.

The story so far seems way too formulaic, and it doesn't appear that it will change for at least another few hours (don't want to know if I'm wrong or not).

The game is also very old school only on the surface. Random battles are frequent which is fine, but they always run the same way, and there is very little frequency in enemy groups and enemy attacks. This is my biggest problem. A strong focus on random battles is fine, but add some variety to them.

The story is also too "cute" so far. Edia's (spelling) feels so... light. Maybe it's a language issue, but I've felt more to other Japanese games stories. Light doesn't describe what I mean well, because the Dragon Quest games are light, but there's a big difference.

The fan service I don't honestly mind because I don't consider it explicit. The Magic Knight class perhaps is "sexy", but the lack of detail in characters make it feel just like the dancers in Final Fantasy IV to me.

Lastly, perhaps this is my fault, but I've beaten all bosses in one hit summoning someone I street passed. Don't like it don't use it I know, but I find imposing my own limitations to a game kind of silly.

Edit: oh, and I hate how subquests are highlighting on the map with a big arrow! The point of them is to feel joy in finding them! Gah!

hongcha

The story so far seems way too formulaic, and it doesn't appear that it will change for at least another few hours (don't want to know if I'm wrong or not).

The richness of the story reveals itself in the various sidequests you will encounter. The overarching story soon evolves into something quite interesting and unexpected as well. You're only 10 hours in, give it more time and I think you'll find it rewarding (well, I did).

The game is also very old school only on the surface. Random battles are frequent which is fine, but they always run the same way, and there is very little frequency in enemy groups and enemy attacks. This is my biggest problem. A strong focus on random battles is fine, but add some variety to them.

I do agree with this. Due to the scope of the game, I didn't really mind as each locale has enough different enemies to keep things interesting.

The story is also too "cute" so far. Edia's (spelling) feels so... light. Maybe it's a language issue, but I've felt more to other Japanese games stories. Light doesn't describe what I mean well, because the Dragon Quest games are light, but there's a big difference.

Hmm. Give it more time. I wouldn't call the story "too cute", as there are many dark aspects to it. The cute veneer from the outside is the perfect foil to
the darkness hidden behind the curtain
. It is a wonderfully written script, with many hidden and double meanings layered within. I was very impressed with the writing and character development, it's far beyond most other JRPGs.

Lastly, perhaps this is my fault, but I've beaten all bosses in one hit summoning someone I street passed. Don't like it don't use it I know, but I find imposing my own limitations to a game kind of silly.

This is the only aspect of the game I didn't really like. It makes a lot of bosses too easy, and takes out any strategy you would otherwise need to beat a boss. On the plus side, it can help you get through tough bosses without needing to grind, so I can see why they put it in there. For me, it just felt too artificial. Naturally one can simply ignore it and play the game old school style, but the temptation to use it is often too great when faced with the grim alternative of grinding levels or jobs for a few hours.

Edit: oh, and I hate how subquests are highlighting on the map with a big arrow!

I love this in a portable game, but to each their own.

I'm still stuck on my way to the
Fire Temple
but I keep dying in that dungeon and leaving it for 2-3 weeks.

That's one of the tougher parts in the game, I was stuck there for a bit too. Getting past it was quite rewarding!

urfe

@hongcha:

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. I think I need to invest a little more time in to it. And actually, I remembered many things about the story that I love after writing that.
The first section was about forgetting tradition, almost an anti-atheist stance which is rarely weird for a genre that usually kills God at the end, and currently with the women placing so much value on beauty, they lose connection with how the beauty gets made.
They almost seem like traditional life lessons for children.

The battle thing I have I think is from a unique perspective. I don't hate random battles, but I think making them good has not been thought about since about 1996 (at the latest) for the most part. Since then, instead of making battle systems well made, innovation has been done, usually half assed innovation.

I shall give the game more time though in the near future. I got a really busy few weeks, and then I should be good to go.

Aeana

I really like the game a lot. In most ways, it's exactly the kind of game I was looking for. But I agree with Zefah about the otaku pandering, it gets a bit heavy, and not just in the party chats. There's a scene where
Agnes is trying on an outfit and Idea goes in with her and she protests almost to the point of tears, it felt like it was a simulated rape scene
. It made me really uncomfortable and I almost quit the game at that point. I put the game down for a while in the snow area because I was just exhausted with everything, but I'm looking forward to picking it up again when I have some time. The game seems like a very, very long game, too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For those having trouble with the battles in the game... Go three Monks + White Mage for healing. If you can Abilink with someone who already has the abilities, you can do this now, but otherwise level up すっぴん to 14 to get ものまね and then Monk to 11 to get 点穴. Brave up and you can unleash 3 - 4 devastating attacks (midway through the game you'll frequently be hitting for 9,999 with 点穴). Most boss fights will be completed in a single turn if you have sufficient BP.

It's kind of unfortunate that I stumbled on this combination, because it really makes the battles pretty trivial. Monks aren't the best tanks, but they can take a decent beating. The ability to do up to 120k damage in a single turn with three Monks far outweighs any downsides, though.

Aeana

There's actually quite a few combinations like that that are absurdly powerful. It's pretty cool how every job has at least one really amazing seemingly overpowered ability, and the synergy between jobs with the passive abilities is great too.

Aeana

I don't remember the exact ability names, but if you're low on money, a great way to make some quickly involves using merchant's ability that makes all damage/healing do 200%. Pair that with chemist's healing knowledge passive and use merchant's dark cartel ability to heal enemies (and force them to pay for it!) and get tons if pq each turn.

extralite

I was missing jobs because of some sub quests only accessible at night and me not running around long enough on the map for it to get dark and me to notice the day/night cycles, lol.

mclem

No FF branding to latch it on to. Voice acting & amount of text makes it a potentially expensive localisation, so SE may decide it's not worth it.

On top of that, I seem to remember 8-4 talking a lot about the Streetpass features, about how they're fairly well interwoven into the game. That's one of those things that'd simple work better in Japan than in the west.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The game has spotpass to make up for it.

Also there's no reason they couldn't just rebrand it Final Fantasy if they wanted to.

extralite

Which job has that ability? Encounter rate is high and battles are very repetitive. They are fun, but not anymore near the end of any one area or dungeon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Which job has that ability? Encounter rate is high and battles are very repetitive. They are fun, but not anymore near the end of any one area or dungeon.

The starting job すっぴん (I think this was translated as "Squire" back in Final Fantasy Tactics?) has it. In fact, it has quite a few really useful skills. Everyone should level it up to 14 or Abilink with someone who has it at lvl 14.

No FF branding to latch it on to. Voice acting & amount of text makes it a potentially expensive localisation, so SE may decide it's not worth it.

That being said, titles like this can be ~18 months before they get released anyway.

Nonsense! The game has FF right in the name. Heh, heh, heh...

Don't read:
the guy who came up with the "Flying Fairy" name must have had the widest grin at the time.

extralite

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Voice acting is maybe the best part of the game. Sure, the characters are types and flat as such but the actors really bring them to life despite their lack of depth.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, that's useful to know.

Voice acting is maybe the best part of the game. Sure, the characters are types and flat as such but the actors really bring them to life despite the lack of depth.

Diz and Anies can just die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. Fucking cliched messes that deserve nothing but ire. The rest of the cast is decent to great, though, and I agree that the voice acting is quite good. The writing is the real star here, especially in the sub events that really flesh out the story. The writer has a way with words that makes it really quite entertaining (outside of some instances, but that comes down to personal taste). I think it would be a lot of fun to work on the localization for this game, but it would also be a massive challenge to get it right.

extralite

The characters are very "well defined", basically whenever they speak they will always bring up the same one issue they're about and I think that extends to skirt chaser Ringabell and "I'll judge if you're white or black" Edea. But it is true, the dialogue is very well written, best of the koudan and rakugo traditions that still shine through in anime.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The characters are very "well defined", basically whenever they speak they will always bring up the same one issue they're about and I think that extends to skirt chaser Ringabell and "I'll judge if you're white or black" Edea. But it is true, the dialogue is very well written, best of the koudan and rakugo traditions that still shine through in anime.

I still think Diz and Anies are pure shit. There's zero depth to those two. At least Idea and Ringabell have some growth as the story progresses.

nasos_333

How would you compare the game to older FFs like FF9 ?

Does it have the same exploration and freedom factor or is closer to the linear world progression like in FF13 ?

From what i have seen it is closer to older ones, but i dont know to what extend

Aeana

Diz and Anies can just die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. Fucking cliched messes that deserve nothing but ire. The rest of the cast is decent to great, though, and I agree that the voice acting is quite good. The writing is the real star here, especially in the sub events that really flesh out the story. The writer has a way with words that makes it really quite entertaining (outside of some instances, but that comes down to personal taste). I think it would be a lot of fun to work on the localization for this game, but it would also be a massive challenge to get it right.

Huh, I'm surprised that you chose those two and not Idea. Idea is my least-favorite character by far. She's a whiny hotheaded baby and if I see むぐぐぐぐ one more time I'll scream. :(

Truth be told, I actually don't like any of the main four. Ringabell's cliche playboy/pervert thing has been done to death, too.

But I think you're further than me, so maybe my opinion will change. I stopped
while doing the vampire sidequest

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I'm surprised that you chose those two and not Idea. Idea is my least-favorite character by far. She's a whiny hotheaded baby and if I see むぐぐぐぐ one more time I'll scream. :(

Truth be told, I actually don't like any of the main four. Ringabell's cliche playboy/pervert thing has been done to death, too.

But I think you're further than me, so maybe my opinion will change. I stopped
while doing the vampire sidequest

I hated all of the player characters until the events that occur after you release the fourth crystal. Idea and Ringabell in particular begin to see some development after that.

How would you compare the game to older FFs like FF9 ?

Does it have the same exploration and freedom factor or is closer to the linear world progression like in FF13 ?

From what i have seen it is closer to older ones, but i dont know to what extend

I wouldn't say there's much exploration in the game. Any main story events and sub events are clearly marked on the map. The towns are extremely basic. Usually only one or two buildings that can actually be entered. All of the shops are just menus that display when you "enter" them from the town map.

The dungeons are, for the most part, really uninspired. Just extremely basic design in there. There are some traps and very basic door opening puzzles in some of the dungeons, but the layouts are very boring. I'd say something around 80% of the treasure chests contain garbage, too, which makes exploring the dungeons feel like it's not worth it.

So, in short, the actual running around the world part isn't very exciting in this game.

Really, these are the main things you should look forward to in this game:

1. The story and writing
2. The battle and job system
3. The visual design and the music

urfe

I for some reason never realized that すっぴん was a job class that I should be leveling up as well.

In my current setup, I have a lot of dead weight characters learning things I think are cool/potentially important (my time mage for example). I should really fiddle around more with the job system to get more out of it.

Although... I've missed one job apparently! I followed all the bloody subquest arrows too! There's one more on the map, perhaps I just did two subquests out of order.

Also, the むぐぐぐぐ really gets to me as well... in writing fine, but when she actually says it!? That's like someone saying ふむふむふむ.

With the discussion about the game though, I think I'll find it more fun to continue when I get the time.

edit: here's a question, may be due to shit Japanese or laziness on my part... how do I update my profile for streepassing? My profile is always set 30 minutes into the game. I know how to edit my message, link with others, etc. etc. etc., I just don't know how to make my profile anything but Diz at level 1 or whatever.

extralite

I for some reason never realized that すっぴん was a job class that I should be leveling up as well.

Me too, I stopped using it as soon as the other jobs became available. In FFV they have the most freely selectable ability slots so you go back to them to customize your ultimate character for the last boss but I didn't expect them to learn anything. Although they have the analyze ability, that should have given me a hint.

As for the characters, I don't think they're not likable but rather they don't feel very real. They're characters that could only exist in fiction since they're so exaggerated.

Concept is very reminiscent of FFIX. That one was retelling the new stuff FFVII brought to the table in the style of FIV (and throwing in lots of fragments from all the other older games). BD retells FFX again by clashing it with IV. Agnes is the Yuna that can say no and right from the beginning too. Tiz is like Tidus and Edea is a female Cecil that wises up a bit quicker. Like Cecil turned from a (black) dark knight to a (FF symbol color white) paladin, she's linked to these two colors and obsesses about judging people as white/black, her father and the evil country he represents being black. Ringabell with his lost memory but player's guide in hand is the player thrown into a world he doesn't know but can look up everything about (since he refers to a walkthrough). He's also like the people in Labyrinthia from Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

I stopped at the sea base after the second crystal, no idea how the story will progress from here.

Aeana

If you find that you missed jobs and there's a sub quest arrow but you don't see anything when you enter, try changing the time of day.

Shirokun

Damn, seems like a lot of dislike here. I haven't finished the game (about 15 hours in or so), but I've really enjoyed what I've played. The game feels like a highly refined classic FF and it's really got a ton to like. The graphics and art are superb and the 3D really shines in this game(some of the backdrops are just breathtaking to look at). The music is also wonderfully composed.

I feel like the writing has a certain subtlety to it that is lost on most Jrpgs these days. The characters seem more "aware" of their surroundings than other characters and it really shows in their dialogue.

extralite said:
As for the characters, I don't think they're not likable but rather they don't feel very real. They're characters that could only exist in fiction since they're so exaggerated.

This is true, but to be fair, there aren't too many characters in games that I would consider otherwise.

Also, I don't know what is really meant by "otaku bullshit" but nothing really stands out as particularly offensive to me. I'm quite turned off the takeover of Jrpgs by anime tropes these days - I can't even enjoy the Tales series - but there hasn't been anything that has really made me cringe thus far. It's been quite an enjoyable experience. Definitely a shame if SE keeps it limited to Japan.

Aeana

Damn, seems like a lot of dislike here. I haven't finished the game (about 15 hours in or so), but I've really enjoyed what I've played. The game feels like a highly refined classic FF and it's really got a ton to like. The graphics and art are superb and the 3D really shines in this game(some of the backdrops are just breathtaking to look at). The music is also wonderfully composed.

I feel like the writing has a certain subtlety to it that is lost on most Jrpgs these days. The characters seem more "aware" of their surroundings than other characters and it really shows in their dialogue.

This is true, but to be fair, there aren't too many characters in games that I would consider otherwise.

Also, I don't know what is really meant by "otaku bullshit" but nothing really stands out as particularly offensive to me. I'm quite turned off the takeover of Jrpgs by anime tropes these days - I can't even enjoy the Tales series - but there hasn't been anything that has really made me cringe thus far. It's been quite an enjoyable experience. Definitely a shame if SE keeps it limited to Japan.
I don't think there's anyone here who actually dislikes the game. There are just some aspects that are unappealing. The otaku stuff is mostly relegated to the party chats - thankfully - but it does bleed out on occasion.

Portugeezer

It's coming in 2013.

gifstache.com_486_1342119522.gif

Soriku

Same writer as Steins;Gate so "otaku pandering" isn't a surprise. Still, Steins;Gate was serious enough most of the time and had a great story so if BD is anything similar then that's good.

On the subject of localization, from what I gather the game would require a higher quality one than SE is even willing to give to a handheld Kingdom Hearts. SE does not want to give a handheld game nearly the same resources as a console game. The best thing they could do would be to give it to a niche publisher, which most likely won't happen because of industry politics. If they do localize it themselves, expect a mediocre job.

urfe

I don't think there's anyone here who actually dislikes the game. There are just some aspects that are unappealing. The otaku stuff is mostly relegated to the party chats - thankfully - but it does bleed out on occasion.

Yes, I'm super critical, but it's a great game. No regrets buying it.

On the subject of localization, from what I gather the game would require a higher quality one than SE is even willing to give to Kingdom Hearts. SE does not want to give a handheld game nearly the same resources as a console game. The best thing they could do would be to give it to a niche publisher, which won't happen because of industry politics.

Or rename it Final Fantasy.

Soriku

On the subject of localization, from what I gather the game would require a higher quality one than SE is even willing to give to Kingdom Hearts. SE does not want to give a handheld game nearly the same resources as a console game. The best thing they could do would be to give it to a niche publisher, which won't happen because of industry politics.

I'm pretty sure a game like Tactics Ogre required a higher quality localization than KH too (just talking about the dialogue here)...

C-Jo

Higher quality in what sense? I'm so sick of games getting stuck in limbo because a big publisher can't/won't commit to a localization, and can't/won't allow a smaller publisher to take a crack at it.

I'm pretty sure a game like Tactics Ogre required a higher quality localization than KH too (just talking about the dialogue here)...
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together didn't rely on voice acting.
Higher quality in what sense? I'm so sick of games getting stuck in limbo because a big publisher can't/won't commit to a localization, and can't/won't allow a smaller publisher to take a crack at it.
Voice acting direction, for one.

Soriku

Tactics Ogre didn't rely on voice acting.

True, but I'm not sure if BD would be more costly in a voice acting sense than KH only because KH voice actors seem like they'd cost more. Atlus is even localizing Soul Hackers which has a lot of voice like BD and is voice acting it...

C-Jo

I'd gladly forgo voice acting if it meant we got the game, but that kind of compromise seems so, so unlikely.

True, but I'm not sure if BD would be more costly in a voice acting sense than KH only because KH voice actors seem like they'd cost more. Atlus is even localizing Soul Hackers which has a lot of voice like BD and is voice acting it...
They spend their budget on getting the voice talent but skimp on the voice director and other aspects. Atlus is going to put more effort into a project like Soul Hackers than SE would, which is precisely the problem.

Top Bottom