• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:01 PM)
SirIgbyCeaser's Avatar
So I have a passive 3d monitor, which I will continue to recommend as the best 3d experience in your home because the passive glasses do not stress the eyes and, are light on one's face.

I must look like an idiot with headphones and glasses on in front of my desk, but damn. Uncharted 3 in 3d is a damn good experience for the case of depth. And the only reason why is because the character is always centered with flooring for you to distinguish where he is in 3d space at all times. And after having that settled in your mind, You start to look at the background, and the shape of the models. You take in where drake is standing and you get sucked into all of it. The only set backs by the PS3 are the slowdowns and draw distance in shadows. Otherwise, the realtime cutscenes are spilling off the screen with the wonderful models of the characters, you can even take in the characters on stage blocking, and subtle motions of body language. It's all right there, and at its best of times it's like watching digital theater, as if you're an audience member with a controller.

The game's amazing art assets are really a step above everything else. And enjoying it in 3d makes me realize that this is what next gen will be about. Games with great textures, unique models for ever environment. And a 3d mode for your fancy new 3d/4k monitors/tvs. No other game i've played in 3d actually has me excited to switch on that stereoscopic mode. I even do great playing online with it turned on. I just finished the Chateau single player mission, and watching that building collapse in-itself as the fire spreads and you're fist fighting with guards while bullets zip past drake and onto you the player. It is pretty good sign of things to come. It reminds me of God of War 2 on PS2, or Resident Evil 4 on gamecube. It's just got some ahead of the generation excitement in it.

Naughty Gods indeed. Please let me enjoy the last of us in 3d as well! Would be grand.

Runner up to great 3d i'd give it to the God of War Collection 2, only because the fixed camera in that game gives you enough time to always calculate the space that kratos is in.

Games like socom 4 have a really ineffective 3d with no depth on characters and only in the background. Mortal Kombat 9 uses it smartly again with backgrounds being the main use of depth, and characters standing out because of it. The lack of it in the story cutscenes is upsetting though. Batman Arkham City has a terrible 3d implementation at least with my monitor. It feels faux, like how tv's do 2d -> 3d conversion on the fly. I have yet to try the ico collection and grand turismo in 3d. First person shooters demos of killzone 3 and resistance do not impress because they sacrifice a lot of resolution for the effect. Uncharted 3 manages to at least give the illusion each eye is receiving its unique 720p image.
Last edited by SirIgbyCeaser; 01-23-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Jibbed
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:01 PM)
Jibbed's Avatar
What monitor exactly?
DieH@rd
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:03 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar
Im sure that Sony will release 1080p version of Uncharted trilogy for PS4 with 3D support. Now that will be a sight to see.
Dictator93
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:04 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar
you mean the part where the resolution is like ps2 quality?
Next gen indeed
orioto
Good Art™
(01-23-2013, 07:05 PM)
orioto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

you mean the part where the resolution is like ps2 quality?
Next gen indeed

this
wwm0nkey
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:06 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

you mean the part where the resolution is like ps2 quality?
Next gen indeed

yup. Same reason i couldn't play Halo CEA in 3D, resolution gets cut right in half.
Jawmuncher
(01-23-2013, 07:06 PM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar
3D is all well and good but I don't want my next gen turning to it. Oculus Rift I need to see for my self for I believe any praise
HueyFreeman
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:06 PM)
HueyFreeman's Avatar
Yeah, it might be the TV that I play on, but I've never felt like the graphical hit that KZ3 and UC3 took in transition to 3D balances out with the benefits. They definitely are good cases of good use of 3D, but they just look so rough otherwise.
Zabka
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:06 PM)
Zabka's Avatar
I thought Uncharted 3 looked pretty shit on my passive 3d TV. Best looking games so far have been Super Stardust HD and Arkham City (360).
Vol5
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:06 PM)
Vol5's Avatar
Super Star Dust in 3D is reference material. It's superb.
moneyman232
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:07 PM)
Outside of the lowered res, it looked amazing, the first scene I played when I got my new tv was the plane section...the effects were great.

Also in some cases the lowered res helped performance, Assassins Creed 3 in 3d performed way better than the standard view
Revolutionary
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:09 PM)
Revolutionary's Avatar
I thought Uncharted 3 was the worst-looking 3D game I have, actually. WipEout HD.. now THAT'S a 3D game to write home about.
Russell
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:09 PM)
As an image quality purist and videophile, the resolution of Uncharted 3 turned me off so much I decided not to buy it.

1920x1080-native or bust.
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:10 PM)
SirIgbyCeaser's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jibbed

What monitor exactly?


The AOC D2757PH :)

AOC d2757Ph 3D Monitor Specifications:

- Monitor Size: 27″ (68.6cm)
- Panel type: IPS, LED backlight
- Viewing Angle: 178°/178° (CR 10)
- Response Time: 5ms
- Maximum Brightness: 250 cd/m²
- Contrast Ratio: 20.000.000:1, 1.000:1 (typical)
- Pixel / Dot / Pitch: 0.311 (H) x 0.311 (V)
- 3D technology type: 3D FPR (Passive 3D)
- Maximum Resolution: 1920×1080@60 Hz
- Video Connectors: 1x D-SUB 15, 2x HDMI 1.4
- Power Consumption: On: <29 W, Standby: <0.5 W, Off: <0.5 W

Unlike dudes with 120hz, shutter glasses 3d. The drop in resolution isn't noticeable in uncharted 3 because each horizontal line is native the monitor! But results may vary, I can only speak for my monitor.

I unlike other 3d critics experience a bad time with games like wipeout in 3d. And Arkham city.
Last edited by SirIgbyCeaser; 01-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.
CatPee
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:10 PM)
CatPee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Russell

As an image quality purist and videophile, the resolution of Uncharted 3 turned me off so much I decided not to buy it.

1920x1080-native or bust.

Did you decide not to buy every single other console game ever save for 5-6?
hayguyz
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:11 PM)
I enjoyed playing Super Stardust HD, Ico and SotC in 3D, but Uncharted 3 just gave me a headache.
beast786
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:11 PM)
beast786's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

you mean the part where the resolution is like ps2 quality?
Next gen indeed

Yep, that was sure an obvious problem. But, the 3D was still awesome.
dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps
(01-23-2013, 07:12 PM)
dark10x's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

you mean the part where the resolution is like ps2 quality?
Next gen indeed

Well...most PS2 games were somewhere around 512x448 (though it was extremely variable and often lower). Uncharted 3 in 3D presents 896x504 per eye which is still a much higher resolution than any PS2, Dreamcast, or Gamecube title. Still a dramatic cut but let's not get crazy here.
BloodMoney
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:13 PM)
I agree that the 3D effect in Uncharted 3 is amazing.

I disagree with your recommendation of passive 3D. Glasses costing less and being lighter are certainly considerations.. but for the least amount of cross-talk, and best 3D effect, active glasses excel.
Russell
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by CatPee

Did you decide not to buy every single other console game ever save for 5-6?

No, but I expected Uncharted 3's image quality to be better.
CatPee
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:18 PM)
CatPee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Russell

No, but I expected Uncharted 3's image quality to be better.

Then what did you expect of Uncharted 1 or 2's resolutions? They were both 720p and since UC3 was going to ramp up the visuals even further, there was absolutely no way it was going to be 1080p at all unless you had some ridiculous expectations from ND and a 7 year-old system.
syko de4d
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:20 PM)
syko de4d's Avatar
When a 3D monitor is next gen for you than just wait for Oculus Rift, the next next gen xD
KalBalboa
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:21 PM)
KalBalboa's Avatar

Originally Posted by dark10x

Well...most PS2 games were somewhere around 512x448 (though it was extremely variable and often lower). Uncharted 3 in 3D presents 896x504 per eye which is still a much higher resolution than any PS2, Dreamcast, or Gamecube title. Still a dramatic cut but let's not get crazy here.

Plus, the geometry, viewing distance, frame rate, etc, are Uncharted 3 quality, still. Comparing it to PS2 levels of fidelity seems like an abnormal pejorative.
VanWinkle
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:23 PM)
VanWinkle's Avatar
The lower resolution was unfortunate, but this is the game that made me a believer in 3D. I was blown away.
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:24 PM)
SirIgbyCeaser's Avatar

Originally Posted by syko de4d

When a 3D monitor is next gen for you than just wait for Oculus Rift, the next next gen xD

Dude, oculus rift will be the end of generations. We will all never want to upgrade from it.
KalBalboa
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:24 PM)
KalBalboa's Avatar

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

The lower resolution was unfortunate, but this is the game that made me a believer in 3D. I was blown away.

It was Gran Turismo 5 & Ocarina of Time 3DS that did it for me.
MoonsaultSlayer
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:25 PM)
MoonsaultSlayer's Avatar
How dare no one mention Shadow of the Colossus' brilliant 3D.

The best I've experienced so far between that, UC3, AC3 and Rev, and a few others.
whitehawk
leeches are the best bait when attempting to land bass
(01-23-2013, 07:26 PM)
whitehawk's Avatar
Resolution drops aren't too bad for most games, but Gears of War 3 takes the cake. I'm pretty sure it drops all the way to 480p.

Call of Duty Black Ops is still 720p I believe, except most of the time it's 30fps instead of 60. Still has some of the best 3D out there.
KalBalboa
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:27 PM)
KalBalboa's Avatar

Originally Posted by MoonsaultSlayer

How dare no one mention Shadow of the Colossus' brilliant 3D.

The best I've experienced so far between that, UC3, AC3 and Rev, and a few others.

Motorstorm Apocalypse had some strong 3D, too. Didn't God of War 1 & 2 HD have it as well?
Ocaso
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:28 PM)
Ocaso's Avatar

Originally Posted by MoonsaultSlayer

How dare no one mention Shadow of the Colossus' brilliant 3D.

The best I've experienced so far between that, UC3, AC3 and Rev, and a few others.

Wholeheartedly agree. The sense of scale is mind blowing.
Darknessbear
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:30 PM)
Darknessbear's Avatar
Yes, the 3D Is amazing. Especially when you are in long range gun battles w/ lots of laser sights flying around, it's awesome. It helps a lot in sensing depth and when certain guys are shooting you from.
VanWinkle
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:30 PM)
VanWinkle's Avatar

Originally Posted by KalBalboa

It was Gran Turismo 5 & Ocarina of Time 3DS that did it for me.

I simply could not find a setting that looked good to me on GT5 with my PlayStation display.
AuthenticM
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:33 PM)
AuthenticM's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Im sure that Sony will release 1080p version of Uncharted trilogy for PS4 with 3D support. Now that will be a sight to see.

running at 60fps. :)
x-Lundz-x
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:34 PM)
x-Lundz-x's Avatar
I tried playing it at a friends house in 3D, about made me throw up. Wasn't for me.
Pein
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:35 PM)
Pein's Avatar
I've only tried Killzone 3 and that looks flatout amazing in 3D.
SirIgbyCeaser
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:35 PM)
SirIgbyCeaser's Avatar

Originally Posted by KalBalboa

Motorstorm Apocalypse had some strong 3D, too. Didn't God of War 1 & 2 HD have it as well?

Motorstorms apocalypse's 3d is good, but actually it makes playing the game more difficult as it's impossible to steer accurately with the type of 3d they're doing. It's all just jarring, and yes debree flying into your face is fun but I would have preffered playing the original motorstorm which was an amazing game.

It's a really strange 3d situation for me with motorstorm. Because the story, setting, and natural disaster stuff all was inspired to make the 3d more exciting. In the process I feel like I got a game I just don't want to play, in 3d or otherwise.
Snookie
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:35 PM)
Snookie's Avatar
I tried the 3D on asscreed3 and its cool at first i dont think i could play the entire game like that. Plus it looked like jaggy city when it was on didnt help things either.
kinggroin
Banned
(01-23-2013, 07:36 PM)
kinggroin's Avatar

Originally Posted by SirIgbyCeaser

So I have a passive 3d monitor, which I will continue to recommend as the best 3d experience in your home because the passive glasses do not stress the eyes and, are light on one's face.

I must look like an idiot with headphones and glasses on in front of my desk, but damn. Uncharted 3 in 3d is a damn good experience for the case of depth. And the only reason why is because the character is always centered with flooring for you to distinguish where he is in 3d space at all times. And after having that settled in your mind, You start to look at the background, and the shape of the models. You take in where drake is standing and you get sucked into all of it. The only set backs by the PS3 are the slowdowns and draw distance in shadows. Otherwise, the realtime cutscenes are spilling off the screen with the wonderful models of the characters, you can even take in the characters on stage blocking, and subtle motions of body language. It's all right there, and at its best of times it's like watching digital theater, as if you're an audience member with a controller.

The game's amazing art assets are really a step above everything else. And enjoying it in 3d makes me realize that this is what next gen will be about. Games with great textures, unique models for ever environment. And a 3d mode for your fancy new 3d/4k monitors/tvs. No other game i've played in 3d actually has me excited to switch on that stereoscopic mode. I even do great playing online with it turned on. I just finished the Chateau single player mission, and watching that building collapse in-itself as the fire spreads and you're fist fighting with guards while bullets zip past drake and onto you the player. It is pretty good sign of things to come. It reminds me of God of War 2 on PS2, or Resident Evil 4 on gamecube. It's just got some ahead of the generation excitement in it.

Naughty Gods indeed. Please let me enjoy the last of us in 3d as well! Would be grand.

Runner up to great 3d i'd give it to the God of War Collection 2, only because the fixed camera in that game gives you enough time to always calculate the space that kratos is in.

Games like socom 4 have a really ineffective 3d with no depth on characters and only in the background. Mortal Kombat 9 uses it smartly again with backgrounds being the main use of depth, and characters standing out because of it. The lack of it in the story cutscenes is upsetting though. Batman Arkham City has a terrible 3d implementation at least with my monitor. It feels faux, like how tv's do 2d -> 3d conversion on the fly. I have yet to try the ico collection and grand turismo in 3d. First person shooters demos of killzone 3 and resistance do not impress because they sacrifice a lot of resolution for the effect. Uncharted 3 manages to at least give the illusion each eye is receiving its unique 720p image.

I'm happy you're happy OP, but holy shit are there much better examples of the stuff that's impressing you at the moment. On the PC of course.
SolsticeZero
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:37 PM)
SolsticeZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by SirIgbyCeaser

Motorstorms apocalypse's 3d is good, but actually it makes playing the game more difficult as it's impossible to steer accurately with the type of 3d they're doing. It's all just jarring, and yes debree flying into your face is fun but I would have preffered playing the original motorstorm which was an amazing game.

It's a really strange 3d situation for me with motorstorm. Because the story, setting, and natural disaster stuff all was inspired to make the 3d more exciting. In the process I feel like I got a game I just don't want to play, in 3d or otherwise.

I agree with this, but I kind of enjoyed the added challenge it gave. It got to a point where I absolutely mastered each course, so by adding that extra dimension, I had to relearn when and how to steer in certain places. But that's just me.
KalBalboa
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:39 PM)
KalBalboa's Avatar

Originally Posted by VanWinkle

I simply could not find a setting that looked good to me on GT5 with my PlayStation display.

I played it on a 55" Sony, I think. Having my eyes adjust from the dash to the road was really impressive to me.

Originally Posted by Pein

I've only tried Killzone 3 and that looks flatout amazing in 3D.

I need to see that sometime.
Projectjustice
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:46 PM)
Projectjustice's Avatar
This is kinda good for the OP. Once games start using next gen assets hes going to be blown away.
Q8D3vil
Junior Member
(01-23-2013, 07:46 PM)
Q8D3vil's Avatar
Op need to try 3D vision to see real 3d gaming.
tried uncharted 3 on my asus monitor and it was garbage, almost ps2 resolution.
Decado
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:47 PM)
Does God of War Collection 2 suffer frame-rate loss and lower resolutions in 3D?

I've been getting into 3D on the PC and wouldn't mind playing a 3D game on my PS3...
Madridista
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:56 PM)
Madridista's Avatar

Originally Posted by SirIgbyCeaser

The AOC D2757PH :)



Unlike dudes with 120hz, shutter glasses 3d. The drop in resolution isn't noticeable in uncharted 3 because each horizontal line is native the monitor! But results may vary, I can only speak for my monitor.

I unlike other 3d critics experience a bad time with games like wipeout in 3d. And Arkham city.

Make no mistake, I love 3D and I'm a big supporter of the format.

But I'm playing Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception on a Sony HMZ-T1 with OLED display and I see the resolution take a MAJOR hit playing this in 3D, so much that I had to go back to 2D.

Besides, WipEout HD looks fantastic in 3D and so do Super Stardust, Shadow of the Colossus HD and a lot of other titles but Uncharted 3 aren't near the top of 3D games.

Btw, Killzone 3 also took a hit in resolution in 3D. And I have to get to Gran Turismo 5 and try it out in 3D soon.
Corto
Member
(01-23-2013, 07:59 PM)
Corto's Avatar
The better looking and more "comfortable" 3D that I experimented was in Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse and Child of Eden. I have Uncharted 3, GoW and Ico Collection but those weren't so comfortable for longer gaming sessions. At least for me.
Gemüsepizza
Member
(01-23-2013, 08:05 PM)
3D is the reason why I am considering switching to PC for single player multiplats, I really hate the reduced quality in 3D mode. But I am still struggling because of the price for a nice PC with SLI setup and 3D Vision display, maybe when Maxwell will arrive...

I was really impressed by Motorstorm: Apocalypse. Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 were fine, but not too impressive. I hated the 3D in Crysis 2, it just didn't feel right, and Killzone 3 was ugly as hell in 3D mode.
Last edited by Gemüsepizza; 01-23-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Xanadu
Banned
(01-23-2013, 08:07 PM)
Xanadu's Avatar
lolconsoles
herod
Member
(01-23-2013, 08:09 PM)
herod's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xanadu

lolconsoles

nailed it
Amagon
Member
(01-23-2013, 08:09 PM)
Amagon's Avatar

Originally Posted by SirIgbyCeaser

The AOC D2757PH :)



Unlike dudes with 120hz, shutter glasses 3d. The drop in resolution isn't noticeable in uncharted 3 because each horizontal line is native the monitor! But results may vary, I can only speak for my monitor.

I unlike other 3d critics experience a bad time with games like wipeout in 3d. And Arkham city.

Where can I buy this monitor?
Lan_97
Member
(01-23-2013, 08:12 PM)
Lan_97's Avatar
Despite the resolution hit, I loved playing this game in 3D. The forest and market areas were particularly fun to just walk around in.

Thread Tools