• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Boerseun
Banned
(01-23-2013, 08:01 PM)
Wow, I'm a bit late to the party but this Nintendo Direct had everything GAF ever wanted from Nintendo and more.a

No more complaining anymore, right, guys?
Gamer @ Heart
(01-23-2013, 08:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Linkhero1

This. I'm left wondering where all the third parties are at.

Did Iwata mention this being the focus of a future direct?

I would imagine feb or march.
Andrex
ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
(01-23-2013, 08:02 PM)

Originally Posted by skinnyrattler

No way they launch Mario 3D and Mario Kart this year, the same year. Probably just Wind Waker, Mario Kart and something else for this holiday. Zelda is probably 2 holidays out. I wonder where they fit in Mario and Smash next year?

WW and Kart are almost definitely this year, and Smash is almost definitely 2014 if not 2015 (along with the new Zelda.)

However I believe there's also a chance Retro's game might be released this year. DKCR was released in the same year that it's E3 reveal happened.
EulaCapra
(01-23-2013, 08:04 PM)
I just tuned in... no one sees Nintendo Directs coming and to have all this new crop of games and info.... 0_0
FUNKNOWN iXi
(01-23-2013, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Little Old Man

Wow looks like the WiiU has a great launch line up! Not long now guys!

Not too much longer now! You'll only be a Little Older Man by the time they come out!

Seriously though, idk how people are this hyped over what was shown. Honeymoon phase?

I mean, they showed a Yoshi Yarn game that looks like it'll play just as boring as Kirby, a Zelda remake that's been in HD for a while now which I'm sure they'll charge you $60 for, a new Zelda game that is obviously far off that everyone knew had to be in development, a new Mario 3D/Kart game that everyone knew had to be in development, updates to the Miiverse that are long overdue and still lagging behind the competition.. The list goes on.

I'm just a "real" Nintendo fan ;'[
DaBoss
(01-23-2013, 08:09 PM)
Remember everyone, this direct was a special direct, so keep your expectations in check for the next direct.

lol this never gonna happen
Crom
(01-23-2013, 08:11 PM)

Originally Posted by UNKNOWN iXi

Not too much longer now! You'll only be a Little Older Man by the time they come out!

Seriously though, idk how people are this hyped over what was shown. Honeymoon phase?

I mean, they showed a Yoshi Yarn game that looks like it'll play just as boring as Kirby, a Zelda remake that's been in HD for a while now which I'm sure they'll charge you $60 for, a new Zelda game that is obviously far off that everyone knew had to be in development, a new Mario 3D/Kart game that everyone knew had to be in development, updates to the Miiverse that are long overdue and still lagging behind the competition.. The list goes on.

You sound like a pleasant person.....I hope someone in your household has hidden all the razor blades
Fredrik
(01-23-2013, 08:11 PM)

Originally Posted by treason

my prayers have been answered

O.o
THIS is the way to make an HD remake!
What dev team is making it?
Last edited by Fredrik; 01-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Busaiku
(01-23-2013, 08:12 PM)
So are we gonna genuinely get hyped for all Nintendo Directs now?
JDSN
You must walk home naked, dragging behind you the Stone of Shame.

Originally Posted by DaBoss

Remember everyone, this direct was a special direct, so keep your expectations in check for the next direct.

lol this never gonna happen

Next Direct: Lego Mario and Icarus for WiiU.
FUNKNOWN iXi

Originally Posted by Crom

You sound like a pleasant person.....I hope someone in your household has hidden all the razor blades

LOL touché - 'tis the life of a long-time Nintendo fan who's been cut too many times..
Linkhero1
(01-23-2013, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by schuelma

Well they did say a 3rd party direct would come right? I'm not expecting a bunch of megatons, but I do suspect Japanese support is going to be better than it looks now (like with today's news I feel pretty good about Persona 5 coming alongside PS3).

Was this recently? If so, I hope it's some time soon.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka
(01-23-2013, 08:16 PM)
Did NoA announce anything like localizations for any of the revealed games?
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(01-23-2013, 08:18 PM)

Was this recently? If so, I hope it's some time soon.

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but apparently Iwata said at the end of today's video they are looking at doing Directs for 3rd party games and of course for the 3DS.
Alistair Roo
(01-23-2013, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Fredrik

O.o
What team is making it?

Since Eiji Aonuma was the one who presented the game
My bet goes to a portion from the very same TLoZ team
could be wrong tho
Last edited by Alistair Roo; 01-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.
GCX
(01-23-2013, 08:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Fredrik

O.o
THIS is the way to make an HD remake!
What dev team is making it?

According to Aonuma WWHD was born when the Zelda team revisited old graphic styles when they were searching a visual look for the next Zelda.

Could be that the actual work is outsourced somewhere like with OOT 3D though.
Hattori
(01-23-2013, 08:21 PM)

Originally Posted by TheFLYINGManga_Ka

Did NoA announce anything like localizations for any of the revealed games?

If it's in your local ND, then it's coming
Thraktor
I'd like to preface this post by reminding people that I've been posting here in a low-key fashion for over eight years now, and I like to think that I've thoughtfully contributed to the debate, and avoided brash, self-serving posts during that time. That said, after having just gotten home from work and gone through the Nintendo Direct, I just can't help myself from posting the following:

Originally Posted by ND

23:09 Firmware updates in spring and summer. Speeding up launching software, menu return.

Originally Posted by ND

TVii coming soon in Europe

Originally Posted by Thraktor (yesterday)

1. Firmware update: improves performance, [...] , TVii for UK.

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

Wii U Virtual Console with spring firmware update.

6. Some VC details, but still a month or two away.

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

Smash Bros. new info? Sakurai will show screens at E3. Please wait!

4. They'll mention next Smash Bros, but no footage (at best we'll get the name).

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

23:24 Wii U 3D Mario under development by Galaxy team!

Originally Posted by Thraktor (29th Dec)

EAD Tokyo 2: 3D Mario [Wii U] (2013/2014)

they could announce an EAD Tokyo Wii U game in less than 24 hours

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

Mario Kart Wii U!

EAD Kyoto 1: Mario Kart [Wii U] (2013/2014)

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

23:26 Unannounced, but expected title: Yoshi game from Kirby team!

Originally Posted by Thraktor (11th Apr)

2D Yoshi game

Good-Feel: Yoshi Platformer [Wii U] (2013)

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

23:27 Atlus collaboration title trailer now. Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem.

3. Unexpected third-party title.

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

23:31 Zelda Wii U screenshot: Windfall Island from Wind Waker remake in HD! Wind Waker HD remake and new Zelda title both under development. WW: graphic refresh, game tuning, off-screen play, Miiverse integration. Due by this fall.

Originally Posted by Thraktor (8th Apr)

While regular VC games are effectively ROM-dumps, my thought for HD versions would be to treat them as ports, [...] with added features taking advantage of the Wii U pad and other Wii U features (the obvious example would be Zelda games with the inventory and soforth on the touchscreen).
[...]
Zelda: The Wind Waker
The obvious one. The game looks great on Dolphin, but it'd be so much nicer to have an official, glitch-free HD version of the game to play on a big-screen TV.
Extra features: Inventory, maps and so-forth on the touchscreen. Also, touchscreen Tingle Tuner!

Originally Posted by Thraktor (10th Sept)

Wind Waker HD

Called it.

Originally Posted by ND

23:33 Monolith Soft game trailer now. Monolith Soft game trailer ends with a big, red X. Online?!

Actually, I posted it in the other thread, but I do think that a reveal of Monolith's Wii U project is reasonably likely. For one, they already mentioned it during one of the December NDs, which would be odd if they didn't plan to show it off any time soon, and Monolith have been working on it for 2 and a half years by now, so a release this summer in Japan makes sense, which would point to an unveiling around now.

2. In-game trailer for Monolith's Wii U game.

Monolith Tokyo: Xeno RPG [Wii U] (2013)

Called it.

Originally Posted by Thraktor (30th Dec)

As such, we'll probably get a couple of reveals in a Nintendo Direct soon enough (possibly even the 8th). Monolith's Wii U project seems a reasonable possibility, as Iwata already mentioned it in a ND, and I'd expect it to come out in 2013 in Japan. A mainline Pokemon announcement is also very likely if it is being released in 2013. Whatever Good Feel and Monster are working on also seem decent bets. We won't get a blowout, though, just a couple of announcements every few months as Nintendo Directs roll by.

Motherfucking called it, bitches!

Thraktor out!

Gustav
The hype in here is ridiculous. Well, off to playing Balloon Fight
ChaosXVI
(01-23-2013, 08:22 PM)
It isn't too ridiculous to assume that the work of HD-izing the graphics of this has been outsourced to Grezzo, they did a pretty great job with OoT3D and all.
Coolwhip
(01-23-2013, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by GCX

According to Aonuma WWHD was born when the Zelda team revisited old graphic styles when they were searching a visual look for the next Zelda.

Could be that the actual work is outsourced somewhere like with OOT 3D though.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a project for new people at Nintendo.
SolarPowered
(01-23-2013, 08:24 PM)

Originally Posted by skinnyrattler

No way they launch Mario 3D and Mario Kart this year, the same year. Probably just Wind Waker, Mario Kart and something else for this holiday. Zelda is probably 2 holidays out. I wonder where they fit in Mario and Smash next year?

The only two they really need for this coming holiday.
spidye
(01-23-2013, 08:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Gustav

The hype in here is ridiculous. Well, off to playing Balloon Fight

you're always free to ignore threads you don't like.
Linkhero1
(01-23-2013, 08:31 PM)

Originally Posted by schuelma

I haven't been able to watch it yet, but apparently Iwata said at the end of today's video they are looking at doing Directs for 3rd party games and of course for the 3DS.

I think I remember that part. I think he was just referencing future announcements with nothing specific.
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Today's Nintendo Direct has been very bad for the productivity of my employer's worker(s).
ohlawd

Originally Posted by Thraktor

Thraktor out!

I called it, too!
Don't mind me, I'm just bandwagonning the Thraktor "called it!" Brigade.
GCX
(01-23-2013, 08:32 PM)

I think I remember that part. I think he was just referencing future announcements with nothing specific.

No he said there will be a Direct focusing on the 3rd party stuff in near future.
Randdalf
(01-23-2013, 08:33 PM)
Imagine how insanely disappointing the next 3DS Direct after this one will be.
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
(01-23-2013, 08:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Starphoenix

So what are the chances now that Retro is working on Donkey Kong or Metroid?

I'm surprised no one else is paying attention to the news revealed here that Nintendo now has Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise working for them as beta testers.
Linkhero1
(01-23-2013, 08:36 PM)

Originally Posted by GCX

No he said there will be a Direct focusing on the 3rd party stuff in near future.

Dale!

I'm confusing it with the collaboration mention
BocoDragon
Banned
(01-23-2013, 08:40 PM)
I think the Megaton is that you'll be able to buy Super Metroid for 30 cents.

I want to curl up with my gamepad and play it in bed...
Linkhero1
(01-23-2013, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

I think the Megaton is that you'll be able to buy Super Metroid for 30 cents.

I want to curl up with my gamepad and play it in bed...

This is amazing. I missed out on the miiverse and vc stuff but wow :o
Def Jukie
(01-23-2013, 08:46 PM)
So happy they finally announced some future projects. I'm happy with my Wii U purchase and knew that good software would be coming in the future but it's nice to hear exactly what's being worked on. And we got the Monolith Soft and Shin Megami/Fire Emblem teasers in the US. Hell yeah! No more of this will they localize or not business.
euphemism
(01-23-2013, 08:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Kenka

This Direct is absolutely laughable.
Will it be the day Nintendo fans turn their back for good. Tell me.

Originally Posted by Murrah

I don't know why I even read these threads anymore, y'all are way too optimistic about cool shit popping off/

Originally Posted by Zeer0id

i think we're due for some disappointment

Originally Posted by evilromero

I'm skeptical we'll see anything other than Pikmin 3, Game & Wario and Lego City. When was the last night Nintendo actually delivered on the hype?
I know never to get my hopes up for a Direct. It'll be Nintendo: We Teach U Maths or some shit.

Originally Posted by TheCongressman1

That's the point. They never do what they say.

Nope, wrong...
Last edited by euphemism; 01-23-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Misplaced quite tag
AzVal
(01-23-2013, 08:52 PM)
AzaK
(01-23-2013, 08:54 PM)
I am interested in them hurrying up and telling us about these "Third Party Partnerships" that Iwata said they'd talk about. From the outside I can't really see any.
Fandangox
(01-23-2013, 08:56 PM)

Thraktor out!

And you didn't use your powers to call a new F-Zero game?

Shame.
Persona86
Banned
(01-23-2013, 09:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Wishmaster92

some comparisons of the past xenoblade game on wii compared to wii u.

Looks great, I hope they add a bit more colour to the final version thou.

I wonder if you can explore towns etc too.
Persona86
Banned
(01-23-2013, 09:06 PM)

Originally Posted by euphemism

Nope, wrong...

LOL nice.
Dion Blaster
(01-23-2013, 09:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Persona86

Looks great, I hope they add a bit more colour to the final version thou.

I wonder if you can explore towns etc too.

My thoughts exactly. Part of what made XBC look so great was the amazing use of color. This looks fantastic of course, but more color would be nice.
drspeedy
(01-23-2013, 09:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Coolwhip

Great to see what they can do without the limitations of the Wii.with current gen brown and gray filtering

fixed
Persona86
Banned
(01-23-2013, 09:12 PM)

Originally Posted by linkratos

My thoughts exactly. Part of what made XBC look so great was the amazing use of color. This looks fantastic of course, but more color would be nice.

Yeah even thou older games have worse graphics, there's usually a nice feeling of clarity to them.

This new game looks like your looking at an amazing world while wearing steamy glasses haha.
Thraktor
(01-23-2013, 09:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Fandangox

And you didn't use your powers to call a new F-Zero game?

Shame.

My powers have decreed that Monster are working on an F-Zero game for the 3DS, but this was a Wii U specific Nintendo Direct, so you'll have to wait a bit :P
Daschysta
(01-23-2013, 09:35 PM)

A triple A rpg from the team that made the best JRPG in years isn't worth the hullabaloo?

We don't know anything about the difficulty of the Yoshi Game. Yoshi's Island had many fabric like textures too and that game was perfect.

Pikmin 3 looking awesome isn't worth getting excited for?

Bayonetta 2 isn't a big deal anymore?

Wonderful 101, a new original IP with one of the greatest dev teams in the world behind it isn't exciting?

You sound pretty jaded, I'm sorry.
Rikkun
(01-23-2013, 09:53 PM)

Thraktor out!

The Wyatt gif closes perfectly. Awesome nd.
Kouriozan
(01-23-2013, 09:59 PM)
Re-reading this thread, aaaaaah it feel so good x)
Newton Crosby
Banned
(01-23-2013, 10:00 PM)

Because it's worth getting hyped over.
Thoraxes
(01-23-2013, 10:08 PM)

Games that I want to buy are happening and I will buy them because they are fun. It's not even about being a fan, it's about the principle that I play video games I like, therefore I am hyped as all fuck because I just like video games!
Green Slime
Banned
(01-23-2013, 10:09 PM)

Please, tell us how you REALLY feel.
Vermillion
Member Formerly Known as JokerOfSpades
(01-23-2013, 10:13 PM)
I just skimmed through the thread. It was hilarious seeing people's skepticism and disappointment turning into chaotic hype.