• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon has been renamed Luigi's Mansion 2 in Europe

Neiteio

New news, new thread -- searched and didn't see anything outside the online co-op multiplayer thread:

luigismansion2_683861b.jpg

As an American, I'm a tad jealous!

botty

Banned
Dark Moon is the better subtitle, and will be less intimidating to the people who haven't played the original Luigi's Mansion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IIRC it's always been Luigi's Mansion 2 outside the US. I don't remember any official material from elsewhere using the Dark Moon subtitle. It's still LM2 in Japan, as well.

Which is strange because the game was announced as Luigi's Mansion 2 at E3, an American event.

Quite strange, but Nintendo has done this many times:

- Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (EU) vs Shake it (US)
- Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (EU) vs Days of Ruin (US)
etc.

Personally I'm indifferent about it, but that 2 look ugly.

does dark moon mean something dirty in europe or something

Of course not, what a silly conclusion.

Neiteio

This is what the game was originally announced as, if I'm not mistaken.
You're correct, and your avatar is awesome.

I've come to accept Dark Moon, even though I like "2" better. The Dark Moon is a plot device in the game -- basically pacifies the ghosts, and when it breaks at the beginning of the game, they go crazy and Luigi has to suck 'em up.

Might work out better with the subtitle if they plan to make many more in the future.

Tizoc

Well my brother's still getting it anyways.
I need to play the first game someday seeing as Luigi's my fav. of the bros =/

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's pretty high praise for the dev that their game is accepted as a legit mainline entry in a NCL series, unprecesented perhaps. They did blow their schedule and budget though.

Some could argue against it being a 2 since it's by NLG, not the original team, Pikmin 3 however, very much is by the original folks and well deserving of the number.

Look at Yoshi's Island DS, originally had a 2, but most felt it was a huge letdown (didn't help that Artoon made it), so a 2 wouldn't have been deserved?

That's my view, yeah, I would've been cool and slightly prefer the 2, but I can see a good reason for the change, just weird that this is only for NA, hell it's where the game is being made (Canada).

Of course, the game is likely to be awesome and not the letdown YIDS was, so don't get me wrong. :p But the change in dev brings different style choices, look at the ghosts. Hell we don't even know if Totaka is back on board for the music.

Balb

I'm just kind of worried that the game will be "meh" in quality like Paper Mario Sticker Star. I hope they actually put some care into this game and that it's deserving of the "2" in its title.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some could argue against it being a 2 since it's by NLG, not the original team, Pikmin 3 however, very much is by the original folks and well deserving of the number.

Look at Yoshi's Island DS, originally had a 2, but most felt it was a huge letdown (didn't help that Artoon made it), so a 2 wouldn't have been deserved?

That's my view, yeah, I would've been cool and slightly prefer the 2, but I can see a good reason for the change, just weird that this is only for NA, hell it's where the game is being made (Canada).

Of course, the game is likely to be awesome and not the letdown YIDS was, so don't get me wrong. :p But the change in dev brings different style choices, look at the ghosts. Hell we don't even know if Totaka is back on board for the music.

But it's still called Luigi's Mansion 2 in Japan... where the original team is...

I'm just kind of worried that the game will be "meh" in quality like Paper Mario Sticker Star. I hope they actually put some care into this game and that it's deserving of the "2" in its title.

I feel confident in saying this game is going to be much better than Sticker Star and the original game. In Next Level I trust.

I imagine there will be many people wondering when the first one came out. And if the Dark Moon subtitle actually has some relevance to the store, sucks to get rid of it.

noffles

Banned
Renamed? Only the American name ever got changed. Nobody has ever changed 'Luigi's Mansion 2' over here, it's the American name that changed to Dark Moon.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Weird choice.
Unless, of course, they're planning to re-release the original Luigi's Mansion on Wii U VC.

Hey, at the very least Next Level games didn't go out of their way to toss out everything that Luigi's Mansion was built on, so that's something.

EDIT:

"Does Luigi's Mansion really need ghosts" is something we won't be hearing in this game's Iwata Asks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So when Luigis Mansion 3 comes out that will be 2 in the states?

FF all over again.

They'll probably just give it a new subtitle, just like all the rest of their franchises.

Actually, I think that's the opposite. Not a lot of people want to buy a "sequel" without playing the original.

I believe that's the thinking, yes.

Top Bottom