• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia "being paused"

Glass Rebel

Collecting all the light orbs was awesome, and it was really challenging to get to all of them. Many were unique platforming mini-puzzles to figure out. That's part of where the difficulty was in this game.

There's also an achievement for beating the game with Elika saving you from death only a few times, which isn't insultingly easy. People just ignored it.

I wasn't really a fan of this approach though. If 8h of the game are almost completely devoid of challenge, another 2~3h of me looking for challenging stuff to do won't make my experience any better. I'd have prefered if they had somehow made those challenging parts somehow mandatory but the way the world was set-up contributed to a flat challenge "curve". I might go back one day and get those 100 or so I'm missing. Maybe.

As for the achievement, I played in on PC so they didn't even give me the chance to actively ignore it :p

As much as I loved almost everything about POP2008, at the end of the day the level design too often consisted of corridor platforming - you can fault the SOT trilogy for this somewhat as well, but the difference was you usually mechanically active in the SOT trilogy. In attempted to polish the many, many rough edges of SOT, they just ended up going a little too far and losing some of the detail that made it great.

If/when it comes back, get Mechner involved again.

GrayFoxPL

How about you shut your face.

BTW, its Forgotten Sands

Truly a game that lives up to its title.

iWMZKpRwv3eF9.gif

Jawmuncher

I'm surprised. Ubi loves PoP and was making them even without much if a profit last I recall. Glad they're taking a break the princes return should be grand.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The next one should look lite PoP 2008 (but even better, of course) but have the mechanics of the SoT trilogy (but refined). Don't see why it has to be one or the other.

oni_saru

Yeah I'm still waiting on that 2008 PoP sequel :'(

Though I do prefer the original ending to the epilogue ending. I love me my tragedies! I didn't know the DS version was a sequel of sorts. I'll need to hunt it down just to have something at least. :S

vareon

Well at least PoP 2008 won't get screwed up more than the epilogue did. Make a prequel or something with that style but let the story end just like in the original ending >:[

black_13

Banned
I've realized Ubisoft is just a shitty company. They make a good game then milk that cow till its dead and then milk it some more and then they put it on "pause".

Assasins Creed needs more of a pause than anything.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm sad because PoP was a part of my childhood and it seemed like it was an eternal IP. Well, nothing lasts forever. It did well.

Prince+of+Persia.gif

Leeness

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZT6HIwoU4

:(

I loved PoP08. I really wanted a sequel. I remember back when it came out and people were talking about a sequel and someone suggested "I want Prince and Elika to go sailing through the stars to find Ormazd". And I don't know why but that really stuck with me. I dunno how it would work, but it would have looked beautiful... :(

I would love a next gen prince of persia but with a realistic look like the two thrones. Maybe add multiplayer like assasins creed.

NMFried

Paused? Ubisoft deciding which franchises need pausing?

Let's put Splinter Cell back on the drawing board first and then talk about pausing.

Give us a PoP 2008 sequel, Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Rainbow 6 Patriots.

Zapages

What do we know about Osiris? All I can find is this rough demo video.
http://vimeopro.com/user12793828/mark-kilian/video/48410769

It looks like everything is fitting together. They have turned PoP Zero 2 into Osiris.... This was the rumored God of War meets Shadow of the Colossus game. Also this makes even more sense as Jordan Mechner has said that was not POP, which explains why PoP is on hiatus according to Ubisoft.

PS: I posted about this earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47054636&postcount=346

Original thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485457

-Zapages

rdrr gnr

It looks like everything is fitting together. They have turned PoP Zero 2 into Osiris.... That was the rumored God of War meets Shadow of the Colossus game. Also this makes even more sense as Jordan Mechner has refused Ubi from making PoP Zero 2 into an official POP, which explains why PoP is on hiatus according to Ubisoft.

PS: I posted about this earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47054636&postcount=346

-Zapages
Do you have a link to the rumor of GoW + SotC? I've never heard of that.

-- DCX

Zapages

Do you have a link to the rumor of GoW + SotC? I've never heard of that.

-- DCX

Sorry I don't exactly remember the link to it... But the source was a few of my friends that used to work at Ubi.

Its a cross of Prince of Persia, GoW, and SoTC.... It was going to be the next gen PoP but things change with Ubi. Hence why PoP is on hiatus with Ubi now. Plus this was a long time ago.

Youtube link to project Osiris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5523MGHVI8s

It has been far too long since Ancient Egypt was truly expanded upon and explored in the gaming industry.

Count me as sold, Ubisoft, even though you're massive c**ts with your DRM.

Victarion

well shit, at least props to them for almost trying a darker skin toned prince.

I still want a sequel to PoP 2008, I loved that game. Especially dat ending o_O

Right, because a prince from ancient Persia would be dark skinned. /sarcasm

But yeah the only PoP game that I would care about is a sequel to PoP 2008.

Sober

The epilogue kinda destroyed that game's story for me. The original ending is perfect the way it is.
Honestly of all games that is the only thing I always actively avoid, because the original ending was just, as you said, perfect.

Sands of Time was amazing, Warrior Within was shitty dudebro/nu-metal/aggro pandering and everything after SoT has been shit.
Sands of Time: Charming as hell, but combat did not age so well, but that is forgettable for the most part.
Warrior Within: Get past the stupid emo/rock bullshit and obvious male demographic pandering and it's a very decent game with a good combat system and some exploration (almost a Metroidvania-lite).
The Two Thrones: Amazing game, oozes charm like SoT
PoP2008: Still my favourite from the series because of the art, the characters. Wish the gameplay had some more substance to it. Wish they followed up on this game.
Forgotten Sands: Absolutely the best platforming mechanics (the last segment might as well have been the final exam for what you learned from the platforming in this game) but they downgraded the combat from WW/TTT. Still fun but lacked the charm of SoT. Wish I played the Wii version as I heard it was pretty interesting.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is this Osiris project in development or not. That is the question.

I am definitely interested

Cancelled lamentably. Ubisoft confirmed to the press when the video of the game leaked.

Yawnier

Banned
PoP 2008 is the only game in the series that I actually ever played, and I loved just about everything about it.

I would kill to see a sequel.

“Brand management is a tricky thing,” said the man representing the company that keeps squirting out Assassin's Creed games every year, attempting to run that franchise into the ground.

They've got to get their Ass Creed squirtage under control.

Ducktail

Sands of time was a technical marve at the time, and I genuinely enjoyed it. The Cell shaded current gen title was also quite enjoyable, sporting interesting characters, decent gameplay and awesome artwork.

I miss this series ):

Do people really love shitty banter told in shot reverse shot+level design that felt like it was made in a couple of weeks that much? (responding to the want for PoP 2008 2)

PoP 08 has an awesome aesthetic and interesting characters, it's just that Ubi forgot to add gameplay into the mix. You run along a predetermined corridor, get into scripted fights that are mostly based on QTEs, rinse and repeat for 10 hours.

People are basically asking for ACII-level improvements in both the story and game objectives. And since PoP isn't tied into to real-life cultures quite as much as AC is, there's a lot more they can do with the setting, maybe even turning it into Ubi's version of Zelda if they so wanted

Top Bottom