• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

onQ123

People complaining & saying that a touch pad will be useless are not thinking straight.

think of a game with a transparent menu overlay you can be scrolling through the menu & just double tap items without pausing the game.

or to control a free roaming cursors that doesn't change the camera view in games like FPS.

Mista Koo

Small edit on the one kairu made:

mk7iJuW.png

No need for the touch pad boundaries, the texture should feel different.

rdrr gnr

People complaining & saying that a touch pad will be useless are not thinking straight.

think of a game with a transparent menu overlay you can be scrolling through the menu & just double tap items without pausing the game.

or to control a free roaming cursors that doesn't change the camera view in games like FPS.
Gestures or swipes for OS-level functionality without having to bring up a menu. Imagine getting a message pop-up and going straight to a reply by swiping your pad.

I really don't understand people that like concave analog sticks. They really are awful. I've made a couple of pictures to illustrate my complaints with them and how they compare to concave sticks:

Perhaps around off the indent so it transition better into the curve?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

mk7iJuW.png

It will interesting to bump this thread once the controller is revealed, I have a feeling these mockups are gonna be very very close to the real thing.

rdrr gnr

I really don't understand people that like concave analog sticks. They really are awful. I've made a couple of pictures to illustrate my complaints with them and how they compare to concave sticks:
Pulling the stick to the side with sweat and heat makes it slip right off -- "the sweaty mushroom." If they were to keep it convex, I'd like some extra grip ridging. Maybe make the curve a slight bit flatter. For your concave image, you would grip slightly higher towards the tip of your thumb. That's why the 360 controller has those small rubber things.

kairu

ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)

What is this going to be used for??

The touchscreen that is...like I'm trying to conceive it and a touchscreen without something actually being displayed on it seems somewhat useless.

TCRS

Banned
I was hoping for more innovation...

and the sticks like on the 360, not in the same line. And shooting should be done with the triggers not the fucking shoulder buttons ffs.

waypoetic

Banned
When the 20:th of february comes... Man, the disapointment...! We have some awesome mockups in this thread and i bet NONE are even close to the actual DualShock 4 design.

ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)

This is the real deal right here.

so basically is it dualshock...again?

not sure what you want out of it. Sony is looking for a controller that's going to be not only BC with their previous catalog of games, but utilitarian for the most possible games in the most possible genres. The industry has stabilized around something that more or less looks like the dualshock for a reason. Enabling some basic touch capability to enhance web navigation is a good upgrade without going overboard.

tranciful

mk7iJuW.png

I'm really not sure how useful a touch pad like that would be... the dualshock keyboard adapter has similar functionality and I just have a hard time imagining it being useful. Rather have a back touch pad like the vita I think.

I'm really not sure how useful a touch pad like that would be... the dualshock keyboard adapter has similar functionality and I just have a hard time imagining it being useful. Rather have a back touch pad like the vita I think.

the back of the dualshock isn't anywhere near as easily reachable as the back of the vita (your hands curve around the grips- not the case with the V)- I can't see a back touchpad working very well.

velociraptor

Indeed. There is simply no need for concave sticks.

Convex sticks are much more easier on the thumb. And at no point the 360 provides 'more grip', because I never jam my thumb in the middle. I always edge my sticks when playing games.

sn00zer

Totally agree with this...its just uncomfortable...and I game primarily on a 360 pad

kairu

Indeed. There is simply no need for concave sticks.

Convex sticks are much more easier on the thumb. And at no point the 360 provides 'more grip', because I never jam my thumb in the middle. I always edge my sticks when playing games.

I think if the divit is smallish in the middle of the thumbstick its kind of the best of both worlds. You get a nice round edge, and then a cup to get your thumb into if you gotta get the biznuz done. I honestly dont mind either, though. I do prefer symmetrical sticks, though. :D

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the latest mockup!

Jack_AG

Banned
I was hoping for more innovation...

and the sticks like on the 360, not in the same line. And shooting should be done with the triggers not the fucking shoulder buttons ffs.
A resting grip is where all major buttons are located. Resting grip for 360 is the trigger - shoulder buttons are a bit more awkward. Resting for DS is shoulder buttons.

Analog placement of the xbox sticks were for resting symmetry last gen since most games used left analog+right face buttons. This gen most games use dual analog so resting symmetry is fine on the DS.

What happened to biometrics :(

would likely get used about as often as motion in the sixaxis/dualshock- that being close to never, and when it did get used it was more of a distraction than anything.

if the 720 lacks biometrics (almost a certainty) third party devs would ignore the function completely in multiplats. not worth the effort to stick it in.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
You know what's fucked up? Sony had everything sorted the first time;

300px-PS1DualAnalogController.jpg

Concave sticks and flat L/R2 with nice long grip prongs. I am not a believer in analogue triggers, you just do not need them outside of driving games. I have one of these, it's only downfall in no Force Feedback.

I still own this controller, it's my favorite one that Sony ever made. If I recall correctly, they went back to the smaller size design because Japanese players didn't like it. I really wish they'd bring that form factor back, it was so comfortable :(

Analog triggers are a must though, but they should have a click at the end that signifies a full button press for non-analog games like the Gamecube had.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did a gaffer make this mockup?

I can't believe people like that one. Nice PS work, but it's fucking ugly. It looks like a freaking paddle. An orthopaedic paddle, to boot. No style or aesthetic appeal at all.

The two black mock-ups are better.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
ps4-mockup-2.png

Love this, concave for life. It doesn't look awkwardly fat like other mockups either. Just give me a concave analog trigger on this design and we're set.

I do feel like asymmetric analog stick placement would be superior for easier access to the touchpad though. As is, the raised sticks get in the way of moving your thumbs to the middle, and lowering the sticks sure as hell better not happen.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I can't believe people like that one. Nice PS work, but it's fucking ugly. It looks like a freaking paddle. An orthopaedic paddle, to boot. No style or aesthetic appeal at all.

The two black mock-ups are better.
It is too bulky but overall I think its the best looking mock-up. The white looks really slick. Opinions.

B.O.O.M

ps4-mockup-2.png

Perfect! good job

The best thing about all these mock ups tho? Seeing that vita dpad on it...it's going to be glorious!

Hey Kairu I hope you don't mind if I modify your design a bit.

Here is my idea of how the DS4 would look with 6 face buttons:

STRAIGHT BUTTONS
ZaP2AzU.png

CURVED BUTTONS
py4PiMR.png

I also added that chromed ring around the Stick, it just looks so swag! lol

The + and - buttons were used by Sony in the controller prototypes, so I think it would be nice to have them back.

88random

Why do you people actually want concave stick? I can't really feel the difference. Thumbs doesn't slide off the convex stick

tranciful

the back of the dualshock isn't anywhere near as easily reachable as the back of the vita (your hands curve around the grips- not the case with the V)- I can't see a back touchpad working very well.

They'd obviously shape it more like the Vita or an otherwise more useful shape...

Top Bottom