• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

beje
Banned
(02-08-2013, 12:38 AM)
Here's a better translation for the Spanish impaired:

I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decission taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

If you're pissed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescon, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it.

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

Even then I'm firm in what I said back in the day, Rayman Legends is an excellent game and will still be, and the team that's making it doesn't deserve to have your back turned on them just because some men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that shitty

Last edited by beje; 02-08-2013 at 12:41 AM.
cloudyy
(02-08-2013, 12:39 AM)

Originally Posted by GoofsterStud

2.) What? Dreamcast to PS2 ports. (DC sale were better). Sega Saturn to PSX ports...same thing unless released in new territories... Xbox to other ports...more of the same.

I'm at loss.

Such as? I honestly can't come with examples of an exclusive game on a smaller install base doing terrible once it got ported on a bigger install base later on. Sure, it sometimes does worse, but terrible? Resident Evil code veronica did better on ps2 than on dreamcast for example. So did RE4 ps2 vs gamecube. http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/b...s/million.html
DownWithTheShip
What will end up happening is Ubi will realize that releasing the game in September isn't such a great idea considering the competition and they'll delay it until February 2014.
Pie and Beans
Banned

Originally Posted by Haliela

Ubisoft can go to hell.

Ah, Mr Ubisoft. Both the legion of talent that creates, and the singular entity that delays. Yes he will rue this day indeed, and he alone.
Ollie Pooch
In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
(02-08-2013, 12:40 AM)

I am not supporting this company's product with my money. This was incredibly insulting and to think I will "just buy it anyway" is ridiculous. Ubisoft can go to hell.

It's a business decision. How can you take it so personally?
StreetsAhead
Listen, I'm sorry for saying douche. I just feel that if you already owned a Wii U in September it's kind of silly to buy it for another system. Especially (and maybe exclusively) for people who've been complaining about the lack of 3rd party games coming day and date on the system.

And if that Dev story is true, I feel really bad for them. I can only imagine the sales of Zombi U/Rabbids Land or whatever weren't up to scratch and the executives panicked.
bkfount
the wiiu can't catch a break.

It was a highly anticipated exclusive title for a console with absolutely nothing and was even the launch demo at kiosks around the country. Every WiiU owner would have bought it, all of them.

Now it's getting pushed back near the holidays when Nintendo will hopefully actually have games to sell and people will be frothing over two new next gen consoles. Genius.
Malvingt2

Originally Posted by beje

perfect.. I am sad too :(
SaintMadeOfPlaster

More than half the people boycotting the game wouldn't buy it in the first place. Hate to break it to you, but sales are all that matter.

Seems like you did your research.

Even if that was true, that's still a lot of sales lost, and a lot of fans angry at Ubisoft who might boycott other, more popular releases. And they're missing out on 7 months of Wii U sales. So your "sales are all that matter" argument doesn't make much sense.

The real reason they're doing this is probably to scrap a lot of the Wii U specific gameplay ideas, and make an Origins 2.0.
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(02-08-2013, 12:41 AM)
day oneeeee <333

the outrage in this thread is hilarious, though. people take video game news so seriously
BriseFlots
(02-08-2013, 12:41 AM)
Ubisoft can go rot n Hell.

They won't have a single penny from anymore. They will grow to learn that promises do matter for gamers. But that'll be too late for them.
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(02-08-2013, 12:42 AM)

Hate to break it to you, but sales are all that matter.

The words of a terrible business man.

A company wants to have a good consumer image, why do you think PR guys exist? Clearly some people are annoyed by UbiSoft by this decision and as a result they may not just end up not buying Rayman because of this, but they may think twice about buying other future UbiSoft titles.

If sales matter then we should be expecting damage control from UbiSoft. Something as simple as saying how the game will benefit from the delay (because the current consensus is that the game is finished) would be better than nothing.

Originally Posted by Pie and Beans

Ah, Mr Ubisoft. Both the legion of talent that creates, and the singular entity that delays. Yes he will rue this day indeed, and he alone.

I don't know why you are trying to sound like a smart arse, but referring to a company as an entity is common and accepted practise.
El Chupacabra
(02-08-2013, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by BriseFlots

Ubisoft can go rot n Hell.

They won't have a single penny from anymore. They will grow to learn that promises do matter for gamers. But that'll be too late for them.

Dude, why don't you calm down a bit.

They delayed the game. It sucks and I've been pretty pissed about this, but at the end of the day it's just a delay. If you really need some target for your anger, blame Nintendo for not getting shit out even with two years of preparation and not securing exclusives.
TheGreatMightyPoo
(02-08-2013, 12:44 AM)

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Why are so many people miffed about the IGN tweet? It didn't say it was good news, I don't understand the upset.

It would have been very simple to either mention that there is "very interesting and potentially disappointing Wii U related news" in the initial tweet or when people followed it with obvious enthusiasm, it be mentioned then.

It wasn't.

I usually think people set themselves up for disappointment and put words in the media's mouth but IGN and Rich omitted that it was negative even when everyone waited with their positive anticipation.

It's not that difficult to understand.
Rikkun
Totally shitty move from Ubi.. Not that I wanted to buy it, and I have a WiiU.. I just hope for the ones who will wait for the game that the WiiU version won't be butchered just to let people buy the game on PS3 and 360 (it's crazy but they could sell 10x on those two platforms and nobody wants a bad port with slow downs etc.)

I surely won't buy the game at full price because September will be full of releases.. and I don't really care what Ubi thinks I think about shovelware and good games. Not Ubisoft.
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.

Originally Posted by jon bones

the outrage in this thread is hilarious, though. people take video game news so seriously

People were looking forward to a game just weeks from release and are now told they have to wait till September. Is it really so hard to understand why they are annoyed. Or are you saying you've never looked forward to anything ever?
kirby_fox
This is going to hurt sales.

Niche game going up against bigger titles in the same month? Just horribly dumb.

Was going to pick this up a little late after launch. Now it's launching in September when I doubt I'll have the cash to pick it up with everything else going on later this year? Yeah, Ubi sent the title to die.

Don't even care about port. I'd still buy it if it came out earlier because this time of year is quiet for games. Looks like I'll wait for it to hit $20 or less in a bargain bin.
TheOGB
Shots Shots Shots
(02-08-2013, 12:45 AM)

Well, damn. :(
SaintMadeOfPlaster

Originally Posted by jon bones

day oneeeee <333

Or maybe people don't like being told repeatedly that a game is going to be an exclusive, and then told a concrete release date, and then 3 WEEKS before the game is released, to be told that it was all just a lie.

Also, people wanted to play the game. It looks amazing. It was my most anticipated Wii U game of the launch window. So yeah, I'm pretty angry.
DocTarHeel

Originally Posted by ElTopo

Why would anyone interested in the game not buy it just because it got pushed back ? That doesn't help anyone.

I can't speak for others, but for myself, my schedule is much more open in the early part of this year compared to September through the end of the year, both in terms of working hours and in terms of other games that I want to play. February was essentially a perfect time for me to be able to pick up the game and have time to play and finish it, but with the delay until September, I really doubt I'll be able to fit it in at least until 2014. It sucks because I was really looking forward to playing through it with my fiancee over the next month or so.
Gleethor
(02-08-2013, 12:46 AM)
Delaying the Wii U version for the sake of the other two is the worst part of all of this. You had a completely barren Q1 release window all to yourself and people dying for a new Wii U game would've lapped it up, but....September? Really?
SaintMadeOfPlaster

They delayed the game. It sucks and I've been pretty pissed about this, but at the end of the day it's just a delay. If you really need some target for your anger, blame Nintendo for not getting shit out even with two years of preparation and not securing exclusives.

Blame Nintendo because Ubisoft can't keep promises?

OK
Zombie James

I am not supporting this company's product with my money. This was incredibly insulting and to think I will "just buy it anyway" is ridiculous. Ubisoft can go to hell.

Do you feel this strongly every time a game gets delayed? Imagine if this was the reaction to the recent GTA V news.
Sandfox
(02-08-2013, 12:47 AM)

I really don't think this is too big of a deal but the statement posted above kinda gives people a reason to be annoyed with Ubisoft.
Malvingt2
Should I make the thread about one of the dev team comment?
GoofsterStud

Originally Posted by cloudyy

Such as? I honestly can't come with examples of an exclusive game on a smaller install base doing terrible once it got ported on a bigger install base later on. Sure, it sometimes does worse, but terrible? Resident Evil code veronica did better on ps2 than on dreamcast for example. So did RE4 ps2 vs gamecube. http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/b...s/million.html

Rayman 3, Grandia 2, JRPGS on Sega Saturn (pic one), and practically any niche title imaginable. Rayman isn't Resident Evil. I love how you mentioned Resident Evil Code Veronica, which sold significantly worse on the GameCube (Nintendo and higher install base) than the Dreamcast.

:-/

This includes 1.14 million copies sold for the Dreamcast and 1.4 million sold for the PlayStation 2.[39] Final tally, this includes the PS2 bargain bin pricing... The whole lifespan of the system. Considering all that, it's not a title you use to brag about. The Gamecube version isn't even mentioned. Less than 3 Million worldwide means less than .5 million for the Gamecube, and since that includes the PS3 and 360 re-release, probably less than that.

On a side note, if Nintendo fans are that irate about the decision. Maybe it'd be best to just cancel the Wii-U version. LOL
BriseFlots
(02-08-2013, 12:48 AM)

Well you're right. But as a matter of fact, wasn't Nintendo suppose to publish this game? They were putting money and effort to deliverit to us exclusively last year. And now the game is about one year late and isn't exlusive anymore.
This is clearly a dick move from Ubisoft, and I'm not gonna forgive them.

Anyway by september people will be waiting new gen for Sony/Microsoft and a lot -well some at least- of Nintendo games will be out. Itwill be aterrible timing for them.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(02-08-2013, 12:48 AM)

Originally Posted by TheGreatMightyPoo

It would have been very simple to either mention that there is "very interesting and potentially disappointing Wii U related news" in the initial tweet or when people followed it with obvious enthusiasm, it be mentioned then.

It wasn't.

I usually think people set themselves up for disappointment and put words in the media's mouth but IGN and Rich omitted that it was negative even when everyone waited with their positive anticipation.

It's not that difficult to understand.

No, not difficult, kind of embarrassing, and naive, but sure, simple enough.
Rikkun
(02-08-2013, 12:49 AM)
Rayman Origins could be found two months after the EU release at ~20.. with another September release they might end up the same way.
They also might be against a new Sonic game.. again
Snkfanatic

Originally Posted by Pie and Beans

Reading this thread from beginning to end will have you hissing for at least a full hour.

No kidding this thread is just baffling to me.
Sleeplessnights
Banned

This has made me pretty sad now. (;_;)
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(02-08-2013, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Rikkun

Rayman Origins could be found two months after the EU release at ~20.. with another September release they might end up the same way.
They also might be against a new Sonic game.. again

Sonic games are normally November so I think they'll dodge that.
El Chupacabra
(02-08-2013, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by SaintMadeOfPlaster

Blame Nintendo because Ubisoft can't keep promises?

OK

I don't think this would be as much of an issue if the launch line-up wasn't so barren and disappointing.

Originally Posted by DocTarHeel

I can't speak for others, but for myself, my schedule is much more open in the early part of this year compared to September through the end of the year, both in terms of working hours and in terms of other games that I want to play. February was essentially a perfect time for me to be able to pick up the game and have time to play and finish it, but with the delay until September, I really doubt I'll be able to fit it in at least until 2014. It sucks because I was really looking forward to playing through it with my fiancee over the next month or so.

As long as I have time for gaming, I can manage to squeeze a gem like Rayman Legends in.

Well you're right. But as a matter of fact, wasn't Nintendo suppose to publish this game? They were putting money and effort to deliverit to us exclusively last year. And now the game is about one year late and isn't exlusive anymore.

Then blame Nintendo for - you know - not getting an exclusitivity contract or one that makes sure the game comes out in "launch window". As far as I know, Nintendo is publishing it in Japan, that's all. Other than that I haven't heard of any money that Nintendo gave Ubisoft.

Anyway by september people will be waiting new gen for Sony/Microsoft and a lot -well some at least- of Nintendo games will be out. Itwill be aterrible timing for them.

Maybe. Then again a niche game like Rayman - especially with free publicity like this today - might not be particularly affected by this.
Last edited by El Chupacabra; 02-08-2013 at 12:54 AM.
SaintMadeOfPlaster
(02-08-2013, 12:52 AM)

Nintendo was never the publisher, and we don't really know if they gave Ubi any money to secure exclusivity.

Or am I wrong?

I don't think this would be as much of an issue if the launch line-up wasn't so barren and disappointing.

This just in, all console launch windows are barren and disappointing.
TheGreatMightyPoo

Originally Posted by StuBurns

No, not difficult, kind of embarrassing, and naive, but sure, simple enough.

I don't care about the news personally but Rich acting innocent in the matter when there is a simple way(a few words) you can keep peoples' expectations in check.....well, I don't feel sorry for him with the backlash.

He could have easily stopped the fire before it spread.

He didn't.

Likely intentionally.
The Mana Legend
Banned
The only reason I'm really annoyed is because I got this game for $26. I wouldn't have preordered the game at its current pricetag.
jwk94
(02-08-2013, 12:53 AM)
My lord, is the game getting delayed really that serious? You guys are swearing off a product that you would've bought in a few weeks just because it's been delayed a few months? Don't you have other games to play in the mean time?
John Harker
Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

Originally Posted by Ollie Pooch

It's a business decision. How can you take it so personally?

It's pretty disappointing to people who were really looking forward to it on Wii U, totally understandable. But you're right: when the original sold nearly 2X on PS3/Xbox than Wii worldwide, and with no $$$ from Nintendo... it's a business decision. More people will get a chance to play it now, and the game will be more profitable. More smiles for everyone. That simple.
Lynd7
People are outraged because they are delaying the Wii U version just to wait for the ports. Completely understandable, why is that hard to understand?
plagiarize

Thanks for providing this. Really feel for the team. I am still buying on Wii U for what it's worth.
BriseFlots

Nintendo was never the publisher, and we don't really know if they game Ubi any money to secure exclusivity.

Or am I wrong?

You are
BGBW
Maturity, bitches.
(02-08-2013, 12:54 AM)

Originally Posted by jwk94

My lord, is the game getting delayed really that serious? You guys are swearing off a product that you would've bought in a few weeks just because it's been delayed a few months? Don't you have other games to play in the mean time?

Pretty sure that's part of the problem.
El Chupacabra
(02-08-2013, 12:54 AM)

This just in, all console launch windows are barren and disappointing.

This just in, some are shittier than others. Also other launches being barren as well is no excuse. It seems consumers are agreeing with me.
?oe?oe
(02-08-2013, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by kirby_fox

This is going to hurt sales.

Niche game going up against bigger titles in the same month? Just horribly dumb.

Was going to pick this up a little late after launch. Now it's launching in September when I doubt I'll have the cash to pick it up with everything else going on later this year? Yeah, Ubi sent the title to die.

I agree. Fair enough you announce it for 360/PS3. But delaying the Wii U version? They still could've soft launched the Wii U version as they were going to. And still advertise the Wii U version when the other versions come out and actually get extra Wii U sales in September when the userbase is bigger. 360/PS3 owners who will wait, will wait. We already know how many of them feel about Wii U.

Extra 7 months for a game that is complete is atrocious no matter how you spin it.
Last edited by ?oe?oe; 02-08-2013 at 12:59 AM.
majik13
(02-08-2013, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by Zombie James

Do you feel this strongly every time a game gets delayed? Imagine if this was the reaction to the recent GTA V news.

GTAV was releasing in a couple weeks?!
SaintMadeOfPlaster
(02-08-2013, 12:56 AM)

You are

Ah. Is the exclusivity going to remain in Japan then?

Originally Posted by John Harker

It's pretty disappointing to people who were really looking forward to it on Wii U, totally understandable. But you're right: when the original sold nearly 2X on PS3/Xbox than Wii worldwide, and with no $$$ from Nintendo... it's a business decision. More people will get a chance to play it now, and the game will be more profitable. More smiles for everyone. That simple.

Or they could've released it for the Wii U this month and had Wii U owners AND 360/PS3 owners smiling. All they've done is added frowns to the mix.
BriseFlots
(02-08-2013, 12:57 AM)

Originally Posted by BGBW

Pretty sure that's part of the problem.

Well, Wii U owners have probably other games too play. But it is outrageous to see that the game is delayed for PS3 and X360.

And all for what? Strip down the game of it'S gamepad features so it can be downgraded on last gen hardware.

Ah. Is the exclusivity going to remain in Japan then?

That's not even the point. But I don't know, it's unclear.
MasterBalls
(02-08-2013, 12:57 AM)

Originally Posted by majik13

GTAV was releasing in a couple weeks?!

Months. But responding to the guy you quoted, GTA V wasn't coming out exclusively to a console that had very few games in the first half of the year, not to mention that whenever GTA V comes out, it will sell.
El Chupacabra
(02-08-2013, 12:58 AM)

Well, Wii U owners have probably other games too play.

If only.
GoofsterStud
(02-08-2013, 12:59 AM)

Originally Posted by ?oe?oe

I agree. Fair enough you announce it for 360/PS3. But delaying the Wii U version? They still could've soft launched the Wii U version as they were going to. And still advertise the Wii U version when the other versions come out and actually get extra Wii U sales in September when the userbase is bigger. 360/PS3 owners who will wait, will wait. We already know how many of them feel about Wii U.

This is much better than asking the Wii-U owners to wait. This is entertaining.