• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

What really gets me is the undying support by third parties for Vita when it is in a much more pitiful situation than Wii U.

Makes no business sense whatsoever.

BlazinAm

We can't really blame Nintendo for a 3rd party wanting to change the release date of their game... its like blaming MS and Sony for the delay of GTAV.

We can when Nintendo doesn't provide a environment where Rayman could be released and be successful. the intention of Ubisoft is obvious they want this game to be as successful as possible and the Wii U is not cutting it. The ports may buoy it if the release stuck but there would have been a huge momentum loss and a second marketing rollout (and more money spent) to cover the loss.

To be fair people at the time blamed Sony on multiple levels for the GTA4 delay so...

AniHawk

ancel's team really deserves better. by far and away, they're ubisoft's premier studio and they keep getting treated like shit.

We can when Nintendo doesn't provide a environment where Rayman could be released and be successful. the intention of Ubisoft is obvious they want this game to be as successful as possible and the Wii U is not cutting it. The ports may buoy it if the release stuck but there would have been a huge momentum loss and a second marketing rollout (and more money spent) to cover the loss.

To be fair people at the time blamed Sony on multiple levels for the GTA4 delay so...

You are not making sense. at all.
Wii U launch is the best hardware launch since... Wii. There is no better possible environment for a new machine.

Dartastic

Not wanting to split marketing dollars is the best reason I can come up with.
That's the thing; they didn't NEED to do much marketing for it already. I think it's fair to say that most people who have a Wii U know about this game. They could have done a legit marketing push for it in September when the other versions are released.

JordanN

Banned
We can when Nintendo doesn't provide a environment where Rayman could be released and be successful. the intention of Ubisoft is obvious they want this game to be as successful as possible and the Wii U is not cutting it.
For a half year old system?

CrunchyB

Are you fucking serious? How old are you? What do you think would happen if the entire development team tried to oppose their publisher? They'd fire all their asses and just get some other entity to handle the port from Wii U to the other systems anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. For starters, France has some strict employee protection. And a good team has some bargaining power.

But software devs in general are a bit weak on stuff like this (I should know, stuff like this has happened to me as well) so yeah, most likely they'll just nod meekly and move on.

Uh, so why delay the finished Wii U version for no reason? Who does that benefit? Timed exclusive is fine, and whoever wants to buy it on PS3/360 in 7 months can do that. But why deprive the Wii U fanbase of a great game that's done now?

MrDaravon

Well Vita has games released and announced, so there's that."

Out of curiosity I just looked, and on the Gamefaqs release schedule both games have exactly 10 upcoming releases lol. Now to be fair their schedule doesn't list games that don't have exact dates though, but the Wii U has waaaay more games without specific dates than the Vita does.

evanmisha

That's the thing; they didn't NEED to do much marketing for it already. I think it's fair to say that most people who have a Wii U know about this game. They could have done a legit marketing push for it in September when the other versions are released.

And given it a sale price on the eShop to catch the second wind of buyers. And at that point, the Wii U would have a whole slew of new owners thanks to the Q3-Q4 releases. Win win

Well Vita has games released and announced, so there's that."

And it consistently gets staple games from all genres.

Meanwhile, all those games sell fairly poorly on Vita.

I'd be willing to bet the COD game for Wii U has sold more than the Vita COD game.

I get that they want to release the game on the older consoles before the new consoles come out, but why not just release it for the WiiU now since it maybe be done?

Like what kind of environment? Nintendo can't force everyone to buy the system.

AGITΩ

I'm so sad. I totally copy typed the Square shot themselves in the foot on UPlay's miiverse...and people think I'm dead serious to dead right...

udivision

Remember when the internal development "trailer" was leaked?

People were getting hyped as all get out.

This game is like the posterboy for "Tying a smaller or new IP with new console launch (window) ramps up attention."

RobbieNick

"There are no issues with the game development. All of the information was in the press release, the only reason for the delay is to release on multiple platforms. We usually release all of our platforms simultaneously (aside from PC). We've made special exception sometimes in the past but it's definitely just on a case by case basis and not our standard practice. In this case, Ubisoft recently decided they wanted to release the game on multiple platforms so the decision was made to launch them all at the same time rather than separately. I know it's not an elaborate, 'convincing' answer, but it's the simple truth." - Ubisoft rep

This is no where near a good enough excuse. It's barely an excuse at all.

Please, explain what Nintendo could have done. They put it up on the eShop. It was one of the first demos released for the system so it had a huge banner. They released a Mario platformer so we KNOW there's a fanbase for platformers. Please, explain to all of us what Nintendo could have done to provide a better environment for Rayman aside from simply buying up every copy of the game themselves

JDSN

Banned
Could someone please photoshop it replacing "The North" by "Nintendo"

JESa38f.jpg

Scum

Pfft! Like Anihawk mentioned earlier, Ubi should have just announced this for the PS360 in the first place and been done with it. Now the poor sods who have spent ages slaving away have just had a goon of a higher up stroll in this morning to give them the bad news.

"Sorry, lads. Thanks for all your hard work and grind, but we've decided it's best to delay your game for 6 months for the HD Twins. Oh, and I'm not in tomorrow, so have a nice weekend. Bye."

?oe?oe

Remember when the internal development "trailer" was leaked?

People were getting hyped as all get out.

This game is like the posterboy for "Tying a smaller or new IP with new console launch (window) ramps up attention."
Ubisoft said they like to take advantage of launches, this goes against that. ZombiU sold over 100k in America from a zero install base. That's more than what Origins did on a much larger base. There was actually hype for Rayman Legends. We'll see if Ubisoft can maintain that for another 7 months...

AniHawk

Please, explain what Nintendo could have done. They put it up on the eShop. It was one of the first demos released for the system so it had a huge banner. They released a Mario platformer so we KNOW there's a fanbase for platformers. Please, explain to all of us what Nintendo could have done to provide a better environment for Rayman aside from simply buying up every copy of the game themselves

they could have made the wii u a system people want to buy. this goes beyond providing games, and into acting like it's a thing you're glad you made, know what it does, and can communicate both things to customers.

PopeReal

they could have made the wii u a system people want to buy. this goes beyond providing games, and into acting like it's a thing you're glad you made, know what it does, and can communicate both things to customers.

Nintendo has been advertising the game both on the eshop and directs. As far as sales of the system go, Ubi has to know that a new system is going to have a small install base.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
This constant fear of other big releases is just maddening. No one game sells to everybody or anywhere close to half of everybody. It's a big market out there. If the game can't sell in September, it simply cannot sell.
It is an issue, in my opinion, when a game is starved for attention. Rayman Legends was the beneficiary of a lot of press simply because it was a big Wii U exclusive, whereas Origins had no chance of actually distinguishing itself. For a franchise that I believe could become more popular than it currently is, the timing and method of release is a big deal.

Gannd

Banned

The system is not even 3 months old.

AniHawk

Nintendo has been advertising the game both on the eshop and directs. As far as sales of the system go, Ubi has to know that a new system is going to have a small install base.

it isn't that it has a small base, but that it has extremely low demand, and that falls on nintendo because they barely did the minimum effort required.

it isn't that it has a small base, but that it has extremely low demand, and that falls on nintendo because they barely did the minimum effort required.

They didn't do "the minimum"

How many 3rd party games get so much highlight in Nintendo Directs? It's simple: none.

I think the Wii's success is clouding your memory. Not every system is in huge demand and sold out everywhere at launch. The fact is the Wii U is still selling in line with the PS3/360 were at this point in their lifetimes

AniHawk

I think the Wii's success is clouding your memory. Not every system is in huge demand and sold out everywhere at launch. The fact is the Wii U is still selling in line with the PS3/360 were at this point in their lifetimes

it's selling poorly in europe and psp/vita bad in japan. we'll see how bad it does in the us next month, but i'll assume it's under 150k, if not 100k.

They didn't do "the minimum"

How many 3rd party games get so much highlight in Nintendo Directs? It's simple: none.

i am talking about what you should do for a console in general, not just rayman. the wii u's low demand fueled ubsisoft's concern for their game, so they did what they felt they had to.

stupidest idea ever

cyberheater was joking. he was never buying the game.

What really gets me is the undying support by third parties for Vita when it is in a much more pitiful situation than Wii U.

Makes no business sense whatsoever.

It almost feels like the industry is turning their backs to Nintendo.

The minute one published title they put out on the system fails to post big numbers, they automatically abandon the console. Yet on the other platforms, they plow ahead forward with sequels and other games regardless if their initial titles fali to post big numbers.

It almost feels like the industry is turning their backs to Nintendo.

The minute one published title they put out on the system fails to post big numbers, they automatically abandon the console. Yet on the other platforms, they plow ahead forward with sequels and other games regardless if their initial titles fali to post big numbers.

Which is stupid regarding the new policies of nintendo.

Look at Bayonetta who was saved by nintendo for example

did he shoot himself in the foot posting that?

Makes ubisoft sound like arseholes.
Probably because he was even more mad at them; for them, it's like being fucked for 6 months in no vain, definitely much much much more horrible than just those who expected to play the game in few weeks but now can't

Which is stupid regarding the new policies of nintendo.

Look at Bayonetta who was saved by nintendo for example
Well, to be honest, I think if Nintendo managed to have profit even in GC era, they will be fine; we will be fine as well, fortunately their games don't require very high budget and it's not like they went crazy after Wii/DS success, increasing their size 10 fold and picking stones bigger than they could carry

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it stupid? If a publisher delays a game 6 months justs to release it at the same time as other platforms, and people still buy it, why shouldn't they do it over and over again?

I don't know why that is so morally reprehensible to the point where you'd boycott a product you want to play and not support a developer you want to see do well.

I mean is this even really an uncommon occurrence in the industry? Both the delay and that level of developer crunch time to meet release

Top Bottom