• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

axisofweevils
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:00 AM)
axisofweevils's Avatar
Just discovered this. It's not on the main eShop menu, but if you search for "Scribblenauts", the game appears available to download for 49.99, here in the UK.

Thanks to liger05 who alerted me to this in another thread.
Last edited by axisofweevils; 02-08-2013 at 09:05 AM.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(02-08-2013, 09:01 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar
Read thread title, rushed inside to see the details. LOL 50

I have money on the eshop waiting for pikmin 3. It's staying there at this rate.
Haunted
(02-08-2013, 09:02 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

49.99

49.99

49.99

why
Last edited by Haunted; 02-08-2013 at 09:04 AM.
FearMyWrench
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:02 AM)
FearMyWrench's Avatar
I thought this got delayed?
Daedardus
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:03 AM)
Daedardus's Avatar
What happens if you try to buy it? It's only 49.99, so it's worth a try, right?

Originally Posted by FearMyWrench

I thought this got delayed?

That's why it being available on the eShop is a strange happening.
Hanmik
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:04 AM)
Hanmik's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Read thread title, rushed inside to see the details. LOL 50

I have money on the eshop waiting for pikmin 3. It's staying there at this rate.

when does Pikmin 3 release..?
Brazil
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:04 AM)
Brazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by Daedardus

What happens if you try to buy it? It's only 49.99, so it's worth a try, right?

Uhh...
Haunted
(02-08-2013, 09:06 AM)
Haunted's Avatar
22.99 on Steam, with workshop support, releases next week.

I mean, what the hell is going on here.
Last edited by Haunted; 02-08-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Cheesecakebobby
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:10 AM)
Cheesecakebobby's Avatar
Bought pc version at christmas for less than 5 quid on Amazon. Could probably build a pc capable of playing it for the 45 I saved
KillerTravis
Banned
(02-08-2013, 09:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Haunted

22.99 on Steam, with workshop support, releases next week.

I mean, what the hell is going on here.

Console prices? It's not like it's the first time it happens.
Hasney
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:11 AM)
Hasney's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haunted

22.99 on Steam, with workshop support, releases next week.

I mean, what the hell is going on here.

And if you bought it earlier, you could have played it now by running it out of the Steam directory.
Spieler Eins
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:13 AM)
Spieler Eins's Avatar
Not available for .
OryoN
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:15 AM)
OryoN's Avatar

Originally Posted by FearMyWrench

I thought this got delayed?

Yeah... until the Scribblenauts team logged onto MiiVerse and saw Ubisoft's charred corpse being dragged through the street by outraged Wii U owners. :o
Daedardus
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:16 AM)
Daedardus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Brazil

Uhh...

What, you don't have three jobs?
Robin64
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:18 AM)
Robin64's Avatar
I did post about this in both the February Downloads and OT as it went up, but nobody seemed interested. :\

Certainly at midnight in Europe it went up for 59.99 and then at midnight in the UK it went up for 49.99. It weighed in at 1410mb and took about an hour to download/install.

My guess is that was an automatic system and if it's not there now, someone realised and took it down.
OR
It's still there now (search for it, don't expect a Nintendo banner) and the problem with retail copies was the packaging. Legal stuff perhaps.
Haunted
(02-08-2013, 09:18 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by KillerTravis

Console prices? It's not like it's the first time it happens.

Absolutely terrible.

Whoever is making those prices on the eshop is acting as if all the disdain for Xbox Games on Demand and the unbelievable success of Steam never happened.

There's got to be a limit to wilful ignorance.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(02-08-2013, 09:19 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haunted

22.99 on Steam, with workshop support, releases next week.

I mean, what the hell is going on here.

PC versions are often cheaper?

Isn't this Nintendo published in Europe? I'd have thought they'd not take the piss as much as some third parties are with DD pricing.

I'd like to buy the PC version but I think the WiiU version would be better for my kids to enjoy sharing on the TV. Not at that price though. Retail will surely drop pretty fast.
Haunted
(02-08-2013, 09:21 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

PC versions are often cheaper?

Isn't this Nintendo published in Europe? I'd have thought they'd not take the piss as much as some third parties are with DD pricing.

I'd like to buy the PC version but I think the WiiU version would be better for my kids to enjoy sharing on the TV. Not at that price though. Retail will surely drop pretty fast.

But not 60% cheaper on launch day without special promotions.

That really is just taking the piss.
Daedardus
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:26 AM)
Daedardus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haunted

Absolutely terrible.

Whoever is making those prices on the eshop is acting as if all the disdain for Xbox Games on Demand and the unbelievable success of Steam never happened.

There's got to be a limit to wilful ignorance.

You forget though that new releases of big titles on Steam are usually more expensive than their in store equivalent. It's only in permanent discounts and sales (especially the sales) that Steam excels.
pilonv1
(02-08-2013, 09:26 AM)
pilonv1's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

PC versions are often cheaper?

It was $7.50 on Amazon around Xmas.
Xater
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:28 AM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haunted

22.99 on Steam, with workshop support, releases next week.

I mean, what the hell is going on here.

Bought it for $7.50 during the Amazon sale.
Haunted
(02-08-2013, 09:28 AM)
Haunted's Avatar

Originally Posted by Daedardus

You forget though that new releases of big titles on Steam are usually more expensive than their in store equivalent. It's only in permanent discounts and sales (especially the sales) that Steam excels.

Yes, that's what I always say. But then something like this comes along - launch day, no discount, 55% cheaper than eshop.

Originally Posted by pilonv1

It was $7.50 on Amazon around Xmas.

Originally Posted by Xater

Bought it for $7.50 during the Amazon sale.

goddamn
Last edited by Haunted; 02-08-2013 at 09:31 AM.
SparkTR
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:31 AM)
SparkTR's Avatar

Originally Posted by pilonv1

It was $7.50 on Amazon around Xmas.

That's what I paid, it was an amazing deal. But the game definitely isn't worth the price Nintendo is asking for, hell I'd argue that it isn't worth the price Steam is asking for. I finished it in 9 hours and the puzzles were way more mindless than the previous games. The art/music/tone of the game was great, though.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(02-08-2013, 09:31 AM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by KillerTravis

Console prices? It's not like it's the first time it happens.

Originally Posted by mrklaw

PC versions are often cheaper?

Standard edition console games in the UK are ~35-40 pounds. 50 pounds is abnormally excessive, especially for a digital title.
Robin64
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:31 AM)
Robin64's Avatar
Well the notion was that Nintendo would put the games up on eShop for purchase directly at the full RRP as to not upset retailers. Then they would issue download cards to those retailers, which the retailer could sell at a price they set. A customer would just have to purchase one of those and get the game digitally, but cheaper.

The card system, however, has only come out in Japan. It's stupid.
beje
Banned
(02-08-2013, 09:38 AM)
beje's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

Well the notion was that Nintendo would put the games up on eShop for purchase directly at the full RRP as to not upset retailers. Then they would issue download cards to those retailers, which the retailer could sell at a price they set. A customer would just have to purchase one of those and get the game digitally, but cheaper.

The card system, however, has only come out in Japan. It's stupid.

I was linked to an european online retailer last week that sold 3DS game codes directly (probably scratched from the cards themselves or generated with a coupon machine?) so I guess the system is slowly coming over here.
Daedardus
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:45 AM)
Daedardus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haunted

Yes, that's what I always say. But then something like this comes along - launch day, no discount, 55% cheaper than eshop.

I know what you mean. I think ZombiU costs 70 on the eShop here. Even stores sell the game for only 60 and I still think that's a rip off. Where are my 50 games?
Robin64
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:48 AM)
Robin64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Daedardus

I know what you mean. I think ZombiU costs 70 on the eShop here. Even stores sell the game for only 60 and I still think that's a rip off. Where are my 50 games?

You're going to love the price of next-gen games as the cost skyrockets. ;)
mrklaw
MrArseFace
(02-08-2013, 09:49 AM)
mrklaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by JaseC

Standard edition console games in the UK are ~35-40 pounds. 50 pounds is abnormally excessive, especially for a digital title.

not really for WiiU titles. next gen console, try to keep original RRP as long as possible. PS3/360 are only 40 because of discounting by retailers, RRP on digital is often 50 (or more - 57.99 for some EA games on PSN)
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(02-08-2013, 09:54 AM)
JaseC's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

not really for WiiU titles.

I'll concede 50 pounds may be relatively reasonable for digital titles (which is patently ridiculous, as I'm sure you'll agree) but it's still excessive overall. As an example, of Game's Wii U selection, only a few hit that mark, and they're all pre-orders, so I can only assume that the company is taking advantage of there being no official pricing just yet.
Last edited by JaseC; 02-08-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Baloonatic
Member
(02-08-2013, 09:56 AM)
Baloonatic's Avatar
The digital future. Pay more for less!

PS3 digital pricing is just as bad, if not worse.
liger05
Banned
(02-08-2013, 10:13 AM)
liger05's Avatar
I'll never embrace digital downloads on consoles until the pricing is fixed. 49.99 for games is just insane.
madmackem
Member
(02-08-2013, 10:15 AM)
madmackem's Avatar
Ohhh hell no, 50 for an already delayed game. theee fuck.
MrT-Tar
Member
(02-08-2013, 10:18 AM)
MrT-Tar's Avatar
When I mentioned last year that I hoped Nintendo's online strategy would be like that of PSN, overpriced downloads of retail games isn't what I was thinking of...
axisofweevils
Member
(02-08-2013, 11:57 AM)
axisofweevils's Avatar
The game is gone now. LOL.
Roboleon
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:04 PM)
Roboleon's Avatar
Did anyone actually get and played it? This is weird.
moozoom
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:07 PM)
moozoom's Avatar
Just searched it on the French e-shop, and it's nowhere to be found.

I really wanted to buy this today... but maybe the game is really buggy and it's better to not mess around with it for the few people who could download it.

"My Wii U was bricked by Scribblenauts" thread incoming.

If it's just a packaging problem, they could have released it online first.
Septimius
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:15 PM)
Septimius's Avatar
I was actually going to buy this today. It was going to make my Friday :(
Robin64
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:17 PM)
Robin64's Avatar
I was able to get it. It seems fine so far.
So far...
moozoom
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:26 PM)
moozoom's Avatar
Grrrr... If the e-shop game is working correctly and the problem comes only from the disc version, I'm reaaally angry that they didn't let us download it. it's like they don't want to sell games on Wii U anymore... I wanted to buy Fist of the North Star too, and I'm forced to wait till midnight to buy it ?

I'm 40, I'm not afraid of manga blood splatters, and this is my only day off from work in the week, so let me buy games !
Septimius
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:27 PM)
Septimius's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

I was able to get it. It seems fine so far.
So far...

Gah! :< I was going to check the eShop, too. Should've done it sooner.

Maybe they left in some naughty word? Give it a go!
Robin64
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:36 PM)
Robin64's Avatar
I wonder if the version I have will be patched or if I will always have the "banned" version until I redownload. Hmm.
Finding out what's wrong with it could be nearly impossible, mind.
King_Moc
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:38 PM)
King_Moc's Avatar
On an entirely unrelated note, i wonder why the Wii U isn't selling?

The pricing that I've seen for games on this thing is utterly disgraceful.
Ken Masters
Member
(02-08-2013, 12:39 PM)
Ken Masters's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Read thread title, rushed inside to see the details. LOL 50

I have money on the eshop waiting for pikmin 3. It's staying there at this rate.

When is pikmin even releasing ?
GMM
Banned
(02-08-2013, 12:55 PM)

Originally Posted by moozoom

"My Wii U was bricked by Scribblenauts" thread incoming.

Scribblenauts bricked my Wii U and i'm trying to draw it back.
moozoom
Member
(02-08-2013, 01:12 PM)
moozoom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robin64

I wonder if the version I have will be patched or if I will always have the "banned" version until I redownload. Hmm.
Finding out what's wrong with it could be nearly impossible, mind.

I hope you'll be able to play without problems, it would suck to find what wrong if it costs you a hardlocked Wii U. I'm pretty sure it's probably a translation problem though.
Septimius
Member
(02-08-2013, 01:51 PM)
Septimius's Avatar
So it's just silently delayed? It's just gone from the web-page of the store I was going to get it from.
JoeM86
(02-08-2013, 02:45 PM)
JoeM86's Avatar
I've spent the last few hours on it. No glitches, no freezes. Noticing some words are missing though, like wine and beer, but that may be intentional. I'd have to ask a player with the US, AU or PC versions

Originally Posted by Septimius

So it's just silently delayed? It's just gone from the web-page of the store I was going to get it from.

It wasn't silent, they announced the delay on Monday

Originally Posted by King_Moc

On an entirely unrelated note, i wonder why the Wii U isn't selling?

The pricing that I've seen for games on this thing is utterly disgraceful.

RRP for games on the Wii U is no different than on the 360 or PS3 so I fail to see why it's an issue for the Wii U.

The reason games cost RRP on the eShop is due to retailers. They have a policy that means that if publishers try to undercut the RRP on digital distribution means, they will stop stocking the publisher's merchandise, including consoles.

Originally Posted by moozoom

Grrrr... If the e-shop game is working correctly and the problem comes only from the disc version, I'm reaaally angry that they didn't let us download it. it's like they don't want to sell games on Wii U anymore... I wanted to buy Fist of the North Star too, and I'm forced to wait till midnight to buy it ?

I'm 40, I'm not afraid of manga blood splatters, and this is my only day off from work in the week, so let me buy games !

Unfortunately, the time restrictions are forced by German law and, as Nintendo operates the eShop business in Europe from their HQ in Germany, they have to follow it.
Aostia
Member
(02-08-2013, 02:47 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by axisofweevils

The game is gone now. LOL.

what a mess, this wiiu.
NotLiquid
Member
(02-08-2013, 04:37 PM)
NotLiquid's Avatar
Nintendo admitted it was on eShop and that they fucked up.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine....e-wii-u-eshop/

Thread Tools