• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny viral marketing campaign/teaser sites begin

iMax

AFAIK, Destiny is releasing on Xbox 360, PS3, and Durango. Destiny 2 is releasing on all platforms, i.e. it's a next-gen exclusive to Xbox.

Dirtbag

I can't see why Bungie would time this out for the same timeframe as the PS4 launch unless they were planning on being there...

People are making huge assumptions that the end of a 7 day ARG means the full game reveal.
Bungie will probably drag this shit out for a month at least, or so history has shown.

I know everyone wants this on there Ps4 at launch, but why exactly would MS let them out this exclusivity contract for a bungie game in console launch window? Y'all are dreaming.

Gorillaz

So its a countdown?

The timing is so wierd. They are running straight into the ps4 announcement. That could hurt them unless...

because the one thing that contracts do often, is change?

Was one of the stipulations of the contract that it came to Xbox first because Microsoft payed for exclusivity or could it have been than Activision wanted the game out in 2013 and Bungie wasn't sure they could get the PlayStation version out by then? If it's the latter, maybe Bungie sorted out the PlayStation development end of things. I thought I remembered the leaked art mentioned it releasing on PS3.

Posted by a bnet user earlier. Could prove useful in the days ahead:
f32uIjl.png

StargazerXL

Thinking about Stargazer's theory and the request from Misriah Solutions... then seeing how the image has changed.. I think rather than just logging the IP's and revealing overtime the key may end up being the simultaneous logging on of varies IP's within that same 5 minute window.

It's possible but not necessary for it to be in a single 5 minute window. Radio astronomers build up the images made with arrays by having all the telescopes track at a given location over time. The rotation of the Earth causes the baselines to change (when projected on the sky) causing more of the "uv-plane" to be traced out. The more baselines and the more time observed, the better the fidelity of the image. What that means is that the observations don't have to be simulataneous for an image to be built up in this manner (assuming the astronomical source doesn't vary of course.)

It's a clever countdown since the image will get better the more widespread word gets out about the site because the farther apart the individual "observatories" the finer will be the details revealed.

RoKKeR

The white clusters in the geomask are definitely getting much bigger, but I'm not convinced it's because of traffic.

Yeah, while I do think there is a lot that people can (and have) figure out, it seems that it is timed/incremental. Perhaps cumulative traffic as opposed to instantaneous? Then again that leaves open the question of the "5 minute window".

I'm going to take a break for a few hours, maybe something new will have come up.

RoKKeR

It's possible but not necessary for it to be in a single 5 minute window. Radio astronomers build up the images made with arrays by having all the telescopes track at a given location over time. The rotation of the Earth causes the baselines to change (when projected on the sky) causing more of the "uv-plane" to be traced out. The more baselines and the more time observed, the better the fidelity of the image.

It's a clever countdown since the image will get better the more widespread word gets out about the site because the farther apart the individual "observatories" the finer will the details be revealed.

Honest question: how do you know all of this? Obviously your name suggests experience in this field but what is it exactly that you do? Asked purely out of curiosity.

Something is definitely happening.
I took 5 refreshes and 5 grabs of each. imgur them and uploaded all 10 pics and flicked between them.

These 2 were different, each.

KuScADl.png

zetQkFA.png

Blurry
y8lmoFC.png

Getting less blurry
nDM14KV.png

It's possible but not necessary for it to be in a single 5 minute window. Radio astronomers build up the images made with arrays by having all the telescopes track at a given location over time. The rotation of the Earth causes the baselines to change (when projected on the sky) causing more of the "uv-plane" to be traced out. The more baselines and the more time observed, the better the fidelity of the image.

It's a clever countdown since the image will get better the more widespread word gets out about the site because the farther apart the individual "observatories" the finer will the details be revealed.

I realize that it's not necessary for the real technique.. but I was thinking given the wording in the instructions

Your node will remain active for 5 minutes, but may be reactivated as necessary.
Distributed, synchronous effort required.

That maybe that was a twist to the technique.

I don't think we should brute force it, it's a waste of effort. I think Bungie are smarter than that.

They want us to analyze the optimum time of day to scan and then everyone to hit it for that hour of the day, and then hopefully one of those 5 minute slots will be clear enough.

Honest question: how do you know all of this? Obviously your name suggests experience in this field but what is it exactly that you do? Asked purely out of curiosity.

That's the distributed nature of ARGs. There's bound to be an expert somewhere, combining the efforts of multiple sources and you get solutions! Knights unite!

Think it'd count the same user browsing, but with multiple browsers?

Could go so much faster if everyone logged in the site in 3 different browsers in 5 minutes.

sunburned_goose

Neo Member
http://forum.tiedtheleader.com/Destiny/default.php

I wrote a tool that is capturing the changing images over time and saving them online. You can see the images at Tied the Leader's web server. I'll add more meta data to the page but I wanted to get something up quickly.

For some background, I'm requesting each image, and when the 'ETag' http header changes, I'm grabbing an updated image and saving it to the servers. The default page is listing the images from oldest to newest at the moment.

I don't think we should brute force it, it's a waste of effort. I think Bungie are smarter than that.

They want us to analyze the optimum time of day to scan and then everyone to hit it for that hour of the day, and then hopefully one of those 5 minute slots will be clear enough.

They seem to want more people to hit it in the same minute span.

Top Bottom