• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Muramasa Rebirth Gameplay

jwk94

http://youtu.be/Zg7_m2cnUx8

Didn't see a thread about this so I decided to post from the Vita thread. So far, it looks pretty good. I didn't get the chance to play the Wii version, so getting to play on dat OLED will be nice. I have one question though: is this game repetitive?

Skyzard

Banned
Shame about some of these comments...it looked quite good from the gameplay clip, never played it on wii either and I've been missing a hack and slash on the Vita. Hmm, is it a consensus that it's too repetitive and boring? Is it still good for say 30-60minutes at a time? I can get bored quick though..

@MUWANdo

Banned
Shame about some of these comments...it looked quite good from the gameplay clip, never played it on wii either and I've been missing a hack and slash on the Vita. Hmm, is it a consensus that it's too repetitive and boring? Is it still good for say 30-60minutes at a time? I get bored quick though..

The boss fights are great, everything in between is dull as dishwater.

Playing the game through twice on the Wii was enough for me. The game is absolutely gorgeous, but the shear amount of times I yelled at the screen with "THE F***! Another battle? I just fought one last screen!!!"

I can't imagine doing that a third or fourth time or more depending on more characters.

Shame about some of these comments...it looked quite good from the gameplay clip, never played it on wii either and I've been missing a hack and slash on the Vita. Hmm, is it a consensus that it's too repetitive and boring? Is it good for say 30-60minutes at a time?

I'm usually pretty dismissive of repetitive games but for some reason this one never bored me. There's something really addictive about the combat that makes you keep coming back.

Verelios

It was $5. For that little I would play and enjoy practically anything of substance

Except Assassins Creed, and yes, I will bring this up at every possible moment I can.

Skyzard

Banned
The boss fights are great, everything in between is dull as dishwater.

Hmm that's a shame, do the difficulty settings not make it more challenging and fun?

I'm usually pretty dismissive of repetitive games but for some reason this one never bored me. There's something really addictive about the combat that makes you keep coming back.

Yeah it seems like you can give them quite a beating from the video... I like it, will watch some reviews of the wii version, thanks guys.

jbueno

I´d double dip if I had a Vita, completed the Wii version twice and am playing it now on Dolphin. A very repetitive game, but I love the style so I keep going.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like standard Vanillaware fare. Boring because it's repetitive, but playable in small chunks. It took me about two years to finish Odin Sphere because every time I came back to play it I didn't want to touch it for a month or two after I finished the session.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I quite liked the game myself. Wasn't as good as Odin Sphere but I still enjoyed it.

I think the game's biggest problem was the localization. I don't know if people have really analyzed what went wrong here, but the dialogue was as dry as toast. You could just tell from listening to how long the Japanese voice acting went in comparison to how much text was on the screen that a lot of dialogue was either cut or massively simplified.

Skyzard

Banned
Seems like standard Vanillaware fare. Boring because it's repetitive, but playable in small chunks. It took me about two years to finish Odin Sphere because every time I came back to play it I didn't want to touch it for a month or two after I finished the session.

Haha that sounds horrible..but I do that with lots of games. Might still be worth it if they release it at the right price...still watching those vids but so many reports of boring aren't inspiring me much.

I found Odin Sphere to be quite the grind but Muramasa kept me going until I beat it with both characters and got most of the weapons. Really looking forward to the Vita revision.

cj_iwakura

Boy at this hate.

Muramasa is a beautiful game. Show it some love.

Bv45gYa.gif

I loved it, will happily buy again.

Muramasa is fun, though repetitive, for one path. Then going through the other path is boring because the differences are too few in number.

I might bite to play with the new characters if they weren't all DLC.

Wonko_C

All 80 hours of getting a 100% complete game were repetitive, but fun as hell. I played it for hours at a time, and will plan to do it all over again on the Vita. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is the terribad localization one of the big factors that made the game dull?

Ra1den

I didn't find it boring at all. There is some repetition sure, but what action game doesn't have that? I didn't find it to be any worse here than what is typical.

The level design is gorgeous, and while it's no Metroidvania when it comes to map complexity, I did find it satisfying making my way through the world. Great music as well.

The highlight is probably the boss battles, they are fantastically designed and provide just the right amount of challenge.

Seriously, if this game interests you at all, you owe it to yourself to try it out. I never got sick of the combat, all the way to the end.

edit: You know, I'm realizing now that this game's boss battles are criminally underrated. The patterns and design are way above your typical 2D action game, and require skill and practice to beat without healing item spamming.

Ra1den

How was this game compared to Odin Sphere?

Muramasa actually had level design, which made a huge difference. It also had better and much faster combat, more responsive controls, and no slowdown during boss battles, which as anybody that played Odin Sphere knows, was comically bad.

So basically it fixed all the problems Odin Sphere had. On the other hand, the story doesn't even come close to Odin Sphere's. Can't say I have any idea what the plot in Muramasa was about. Some claim this is due to a poor localization, I'm not sure.

Overall it's a much better game.

MrDaravon

Muramasa is fun, though repetitive, for one path. Then going through the other path is boring because the differences are too few in number.

I might bite to play with the new characters if they weren't all DLC.

Yup. I finished the first path and got like an hour into the second path on Wii and I was done.

Game is incredibly gorgeous, but it's repetitive as fuck.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So what was so bad about the first localization?

Here's a perfect illustration:

They should do rewrites of all classic novels.

"Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Ignition: I hate you whale.

I agree

I personally loved the flow of combat.

I tried doing trick moves and other crazy stuff, than simply trying to kill everything on screen, which imo made it even more enjoyable

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How was this game compared to Odin Sphere?

Alot faster paced. I feel alot of people criticize Odin Sphere's combat because you have to be alot more deliberate with the positioning and spacing of your attacks. In Muramasa you're free to just go ham, which I think is what people more or less expect from this kind of game. Alot more combo/juggle potential,and mobility/cancelling options.

The combat is also not as focused on the item gathering and potion production. I feel that's also a part of Odin Sphere people didn't want to bother with.

If I had to compare them to other games, Muramasa is the Devil May Cry to Odin Sphere's Monster Hunter.

Top Bottom