• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Midnight Phoenix
(02-14-2013, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by mrklaw

Sticks are concave *and* convex - how can anyone possibly complain about them now?

Sticks on my gamepad? Eww.
It's seems like cheap china gamepad ripoff. I hope for production it will have another look.
Raonak
(02-14-2013, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Izick

Why's the Vita's d-pad better? Honestly curious

It's clicky instead of spongey, makes fighting games so much better.
params7

Originally Posted by Rollo Larson

Is it really that bulky though? If you look, you can only see the actual thickness from the top. It could very well be just real estate for the (rumored) improved trigger set, just hanging over to form a ledge...like the one on the back of the WiiU pad. The rest of the controller is probably regular size. That would be awesome...

Yeah it looks like the middle ground between 360's and dualshock 3 for me. It'll fill out the hands nicely this time.

I wonder if they're going to give it a new name or DS4
Riddy
Bulky, and while I like the Vita's D-Pad, I like the original dual-shock one more. I doubt this is the final design so I'll hold my breath til the 20th. I'm just happy the PS4 is finally here *cries*
Gahiggidy
My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Originally Posted by gofreak

The touchpad on the back of the vita is very reflective... :)

Ok, I'll take your word. I have never seen one myself.
Drencrom

Originally Posted by Bgamer90

Top image looks so much better (in style & quality).

I wouldn't put much faith in that this is the final controller design i.e. it's a prototype
Izick

Originally Posted by Perkel

My thoughts:

Not exactly daring but you're most likely right.
Beermeister
Banned
Nairume
That seriously looks like something a third rate PC pad developer from the late 90's would have rejected.
mrklaw
MrArseFace
Triggers look significantly pushed back - see the ledge where the dpad and face buttons are before you get to L1/R1. Wonder if that means they are tucking L2/R2 further around the back, like with the WiiU gamepad, or move?

I like the LED strip, being a rectangle should make it able to know when it is level, and twisting.
maquiladora

Top image looks so much better (in style & build quality).

Its just a prototype. Not going to have the same build quality as the final version. Probably not the exact same design either, the article says its one several types.
IcyBlueStrawberry
(02-14-2013, 08:46 PM)
I think it looks alright, but I was a fan of the convex analog tops that the previous DS controllers had.
DiscoShark
Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.
SmokyDave
His head smashed in and his heart cut out and his liver removed and his bowels unplugged and his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off and his penis...

My thoughts:

[IMG]http://i2.minus.com/i3UzEapI0L8Yx.jpg[IMG]

I really don't think that's a mic. I reckon it's a speaker grille. It's way too large to be a mic and the placement means all anyone would hear would be clacking analogue sticks.
Man
Notice how the LED is a subtle half cylinder to make the visibility range larger.
Emitan

Originally Posted by UnblessedSoul

Too fat, rubbish d pad and awful analogue sticks

It looks based off the Vita's d-pad which might be the greatest d-pad of any controller.
LifEndz
Man....does not look as sleek as Sony products usually look. And speakers/a mic on it? No way that's the final design.
Winterfang
Dual Shock again?
lherre
Accurate
The headset is wired to the controller so ...
Baconsammy
Banned
Who needs Kinect for voice commands when you got it right there on the controller, whether you want to wear a headset or not. Win win win if that's how it works.
Pai Pai Master

Originally Posted by M.D

I don't understand. How could you use that controller in a way that resembles Move?

The camera will pick up the LED for positioning and depth purposes, there's probably still a gyro in there, and the touch pad replaces the need for a pointer.
waypoetic
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE STICKS
Violater
I hope it rumbles when I stroke it.
Coolwhip
To the people calling it ugly, do you think the current DS isn't ugly?
SolsticeZero
(02-14-2013, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by DiscoShark

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off motion controls with the Sixaxis and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

It's.... It's not a screen on the controller. It's just a touch digitizer
params7

My thoughts:

Mics don't have to be that huge these days. That's most likely a speaker, will go well with the 3.55mm jack at the bottom. Still I hope it uses something else other than Bluetooth a2dp to stream wireless audio to it.
BadWolf

Originally Posted by LifEndz

Man....does not look as sleek as Sony products usually look. And speakers/a mic on it? No way that's the final design.

Its not, its a devkit prototype.
Orayn
They finally did it. They redesigned the handles.

Dizastah

Originally Posted by Bluforce

So, the creator of this:

WIN!

EDIT: For comparison:

Looks cheap but I bet it feels great in hands.

My thoughts:

I agree.
MafiaMusic
Banned
Looks like a MadCatz knockoff!

Hideous, just hideous pudgy little thing.
Nafai1123
dirty Netflix p00rs!
breathing my air

Originally Posted by DjRoomba

lol looks butt ugly
What in the hell could be the use of the touchpad?

iOS/Android ports, UI navigation, web browsing, context sensitive cutscenes/minigames, etc. It's a touchpad just like a smartphone. It's not hard to imagine why it would be useful.
CREMSteve

So, the creator of this:

WIN!

EDIT: For comparison:

Minus the speaker/mic/whatever, Move light and Start/Select, they nailed it.

That fan-pic is still the best out there from what I've seen. Sony should just blatantly copy it and call it a day.
Kinyou

Originally Posted by Winterfang

Dual Shock again?

The world isn't ready for a triple shock
Bgamer90

Originally Posted by Goldrusher

PROTOTYPE.

I KNOW.

I was just giving my opinions on the two pictures.
jello44
Concave sticks?

yes.gif
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off motion controls with the Sixaxis and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or a case of not reading the OP. It's pretty stupid either way.
Trevelyon

Originally Posted by Goldrusher

PROTOTYPE.

Nah-uh, it's what they're bringing to market.

Not a single thing will change.
MuseManMike

Originally Posted by lherre

The headset is wired to the controller so ...

EXCELLENT
ari
Banned
Yuke.
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does

So, the creator of this:

WIN!

Yup. I added the light back when he posted it.

Originally Posted by Graphics Horse

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1158
keit4
Banned
Sony is stuck in 1994.
TouchMyBox
Assuming build quality is not-final, It looks pretty decent.

Not sure how useful that touchpad is going to be in practice though.
Interfectum

Originally Posted by LifEndz

Man....does not look as sleek as Sony products usually look.

It's a prototype.
DoctorWho
BOSS
(02-14-2013, 08:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Beermeister

What is SHARE?
elementalsin

Top image looks so much better (in style & build quality).

I couldn't agree more. The leaked one just doesn't look appealing to me at all. Looks bulky and clunky.

It also looks like the square/triangle/etc buttons are smaller and further apart from each other than previous controllers?
SJRB

Sony has no shame. Are they really going to try to sell screens on controllers having seen Nintendo innovate that approach with the WiiU? Ripping off rumble from the N64 controller, motion controls with the Sixaxis, and now SCREENS with this unnamed PS4 controller, I have never been more disappointed. Can they not come up with an innovative idea for once in their companies lives? At least with the Vita they at least tried to innovate with rear touch panel capabilities, but this is just getting ridiculous. Sony I sincerely hope you change your plans while you have the time. Maybe then will I consider dropping money on this travesty.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is sarcarm or genuine.
jgmo870
Banned
Vita's d-pad? Yessss.

Do you not understand what a screen is? Because the PS4's controller doesn't have one.
Guess Who

dmr87
This, all day long.

tapedeck
Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wow I think that looks pretty damn good, the D-pad looks EXCELLENT and Im assuming the L2/R2 triggers will be made similar to Real Triggers. No doubt it will be tweaked here and there before launch to perfection.

HYPE HYPE HYPE.