• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 1UP Podcast Preservation Society

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Would there be a way to re-host these as a podcast/rss feed somewhere? It would be nice if people could just point their podcast apps at the feed and play them back whenever they like, rather than having to download an entire archive onto their computer or whatever.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
While I'm waiting for these torrents, I was doing up some episode guides of sorts so I can have those cool episode descriptions in a place somewhere if the site goes.

I've only gotten to Retronauts so far, but I'll start on GFW Radio next. So if anyone wants to use the Retronauts one, I made a google doc. Sorry if the formatting sucks but it's basically for personal reference, it's all pretty much there...

Trogador

Neo Member
Broken Pixels is full of dead links, and the torrent is long gone. I got one episode, but none of the rest successfully download. I hope ZD isn't already consolidating *gulp*

fatty

Grrr, I think the links for Retronauts are getting hammered as I keep getting network errors every other download. I guess I will try back later. ATB seemed to go OK though.

While I'm waiting for these torrents, I was doing up some episode guides of sorts so I can have those cool episode descriptions in a place somewhere if the site goes.

I've only gotten to Retronauts so far, but I'll start on GFW Radio next. So if anyone wants to use the Retronauts one, I made a google doc. Sorry if the formatting sucks but it's basically for personal reference, it's all pretty much there...
Wow, that's a pretty good job you've done there. I respect the work you had to put in. All I've been doing is saving the webpages as .htm files so I can load 'em up in a browser to see the descriptions for future reference. Your method, while more work, definitely wins in simplicity, accessibility, and readability.

I'm currently downloading all of 1UP Yours. Finished Brodeo earlier. I know I'll most likely never relisten to the entire archives, but it just feels wrong to let this content die in any way. It was such a large/important part of gaming for me in high school that I'm not sure I can just let it stop existing for me. I'll keep it alive on various hard drives for as long as I possibly can.

1UP is dead. Long live 1UP.

I know they probably weren't the most popular but I really hope the oddcast and at1up get archived. I'm not going to be near a decent Internet connection for about a week and would hate to not get them.

And thank you to everyone who is keeping this uploaded.

Trogador

Neo Member
That reminds me: The Comedy Button facebook group has a comprehensive file of for The GameSpy Debriefings. Lemme work it into a Google Doc.

EDIT: here we go. It's a bit messy from all the people editing, but I'll start cleaning it up and adding to it.

baphomet

Yea, I would love to get the Broken Pixels and Retronauts Bonus Stage episodes. Unfortunately, as has already been pointed out, the links in the op are long dead.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got pretty much all of the 1Up Yours (at least up to last 4 Guys 1 Up), except for 1UY021309.mp3

I get a 404 error trying to get it from 1up.com

Also, Gamevideos is being a bitch in trying to get 1Up Show

LiK

Working Torrent for GFW if anybody's interested.

Some good times. The story about "salty the singing bible" hit close to home.

The Full Brodeo

downloading, pretty slow right now...

I got pretty much all of the 1Up Yours (at least up to last 4 Guys 1 Up), except for 1UY021309.mp3

I get a 404 error trying to get it from 1up.com

Also, Gamevideos is being a bitch in trying to get 1Up Show

any chance you'll be able to do a torrent for the 1Up Yours?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Here's the GFW Radio episode guide I whipped up in google docs. If it's messed up somewhere, go ahead and edit it.

I have everything on my external hard drive so nothing will be lost. :)

Do you have the first part of the 1up show E3 Special? Gamevideos doesn't have it.
Tried to look it on GAF but the file was on ZDmedia
The file in question is:
1upshow_e306_ep1_640x360.wmv or .mov

Edit: Another episode missing, Season 4 Episode 8

snap0212

Do you have the first part of the 1up show E3 Special? Gamevideos doesn't have it.
Tried to look it on GAF but the file was on ZDmedia
The file in question is:
1upshow_e306_ep1_640x360.wmv or .mov
Yes. :)

Does anyone know what the legal side of things looks like for this? I mean, I could do a torrent but someone has the right to all these things and I don't want to piss off anyone. Torrents should be way easier for everyone and it doesn't seem like all the direct links work as they used to.

fatty

Yes. :)

Does anyone know what the legal side of things looks like for this? I mean, I could do a torrent but someone has the right to all these things and I don't want to piss off anyone. Torrents should be way easier for everyone and it doesn't seem like all the direct links work as they used to.

I don't think anyone would care. When all the layoffs happened the first time at 1up there were torrents for 1upyours, GFW and Retronauts (I picked those all up at the time). Trying to get 'new' Retronauts by downloading has been a pain. I'm currently on episode 80 from 11/05/09.

I remember one time Jeff Green brought me up on a GFW podcast. I saw him playing Portal and said something like "Playing Portal for 6 hour! :D" because that is what his playtime was. I meant it in a good way, as in the game was so good you could keep playing it. He made me sound like an asshole that was making fun of him for being stupid and slow at beating the game :(

This, makes me want to cry.

Like the Kotaku article said earlier 1UP almost taught me to write and feel the way I do about video games, which is weird, but they did it differently and had ssuucchh a good crew. Still the best podcast ever

RIP 1UP

snap0212

I don't think anyone would care. When all the layoffs happened the first time at 1up there were torrents for 1upyours, GFW and Retronauts (I picked those all up at the time). Trying to get 'new' Retronauts by downloading has been a pain. I'm currently on episode 80 from 11/05/09.
I guess I'll send them a mail and ask if it's okay to make a torrent. :)

Also seems like downloading anything is a pain right now. I have everything in RAR folders except the 1up show and am now trying to re-download everything. I'm also saving the descriptions in a word file so those are available as well.

DRG

Neo Member
So besides the podcasts, are all the articles going to be wiped from the net too? 1UP did a bunch of great writing and features over the years. Someone needs to back all that stuff up if it disappears.

I used to listen to the 1UP podcast pretty hardcore back in 07/08. Just a high quality show with a certain vibe and energy that not a lot of shows have matched since.

Also seems like downloading anything is a pain right now. I have everything in RAR folders except the 1up show and am now trying to re-download everything. I'm also saving the descriptions in a word file so those are available as well.

True, I've been having some problems downloading the shows, even with a download manager.

fatty

Thanks for what you're doing. Jeremy Parish's email is jparish@ign.com.

So besides the podcasts, are all the articles going to be wiped from the net too? 1UP did a bunch of great writing and features over the years. Someone needs to back all that stuff up if it disappears.

That is something I don't know if anyone knows, I really hope that the podcasts and articles can live on in some way.

I used to listen to the 1UP podcast pretty hardcore back in 07/08. Just a high quality show with a certain vibe and energy that not a lot of shows have matched since.

I have a lot of stuff stored as MHTML files, but it's all pretty sporadic and not very comprehensive. If someone were able to set up a list of their best stuff over the years, I can think of no better way to store them.

LiK

Judging from former 1Uppers' tweets warning their peers to back up all their work, it looks like everything will be wiped when the site is shut down.

MASB

Did anyone ever archive the at1UP podcasts? I remember searching for them last year, but the links went to nothing. Even the main page was gone.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I remember one time Jeff Green brought me up on a GFW podcast. I saw him playing Portal and said something like "Playing Portal for 6 hour! :D" because that is what his playtime was. I meant it in a good way, as in the game was so good you could keep playing it. He made me sound like an asshole that was making fun of him for being stupid and slow at beating the game :(

Awww, man! I'm sure I was just making fun of myself, mostly. :) And if I really did make you sound like an asshole, it was just for comic effect. Nothing like that would actually ever bug me. So apologies for any psychological scarring there.

Anyway thanks for listening, and this goes for everyone at NeoGAF. The threads here and on Twitter have made a lot of ex1uppers, including me, feel better on this completely lame final boning by Ziff Davis.

Oh, and personal message from me to Ziff Davis: FUCK YOU, YOU GREEDY INCOMPETENT SHORT SIGHTED MOTHERFUCKERS.

I feel better now. :)

mattiewheels

I just have to wonder how much Ziff Davis today is the same as '08 ZD...did they keep all the same asshats or get swapped out with entirely new ones in the interim? I heard they thought bought...

turnbuckle

I can't believe I never saw this thread before.

Hopefully I'll be able to download everything when I get home. Thank you

Fehyd

Banned
I was a huge fan of the old podcasts before the first mass firing. (when I abruptly stopped going to the site) With so many different game mags under one banner though, it was only a matter of time before they consolidated and closed things.

Its a shame, because I haven't come across a gaming podcast with quite that same dynamic.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I just have to wonder how much Ziff Davis today is the same as '08 ZD...did they keep all the same asshats or get swapped out with entirely new ones in the interim? I heard they thought bought...

Oh I'm sure yesterday's action was by a whole new group of asshats, yes. They apparently have an endless supply of asshats that they keep in cryogenic storage or something. My "fuck you" was mostly for the group of original asshats who ignored us, failed to support us, underpaid us, and generally had no idea what they were doing at all, about anything, including which way to put on their own underwear, back in the good old days. But hey, maybe I'll stay on this thread and tell you how I really feel.

Awww, man! I'm sure I was just making fun of myself, mostly. :) And if I really did make you sound like an asshole, it was just for comic effect. Nothing like that would actually ever bug me. So apologies for any psychological scarring there.

Anyway thanks for listening, and this goes for everyone at NeoGAF. The threads here and on Twitter have made a lot of ex1uppers, including me, feel better on this completely lame final boning by Ziff Davis.

Oh, and personal message from me to Ziff Davis: FUCK YOU, YOU GREEDY INCOMPETENT SHORT SIGHTED MOTHERFUCKERS.

I feel better now. :)
Do any of you guys have the Out of the Game podcasts? Mexicutedbyhepitacos went away and took them with it.

mattiewheels

Oh I'm sure yesterday's action was by a whole new group of asshats, yes. They apparently have an endless supply of asshats that they keep in cryogenic storage or something. My "fuck you" was mostly for the group of original asshats who ignored us, failed to support us, underpaid us, and generally had no idea what they were doing at all, about anything, including which way to put on their own underwear, back in the good old days. But hey, maybe I'll stay on this thread and tell you how I really feel.
I hear ya, man :( So if all these ZD asshats study from the same manual, then all I can say is that I worry about the future of IGN.

Wow. I didn't know this thread existed.

Subscribed. I watched the 1up show religiously. I always wanted to be able to download every episode.

snap0212

So I haven't heard back from Jeremy Parish (not even sure my mail reached him) but I've pretty much completed the 1UP Show and created a readme that shows whatever game they're talking about in a specific episode. I might add whoever is appearing in the episode as well but that will take some time as well. Not the 1UP Show and Specials are also included.

I also checked every single Retronauts Episode and it turns out I have all of them. They'll need to be tagged as well before they're useful as the file names don't give away what the episodes are about or who actually is on the cast. I downloaded everything around the time I created that list for 1UP Show download links, which is in this Thread.

I have a couple of weeks off and I think it'd be fun to help preserve what these amazing folks have created. For now, I'm just making sure that I have all the MP3s and videos available. :)

edit: EGM Live & 1UP FM are also complete.

Top Bottom