• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: So Killzone: SF was only using 1.5GB of VRAM

DieH@rd

Banned
We dont know nothing for sure. IMO 1st party had access to 4GB devkits, but 3rd party was maybe still on older models.

Eusis

I would like to think they'd use it to expand map size/efficently load in more to eliminate load times as much as possible rather than just crank up the graphics. But for graphics alone, it'd probably mainly mean more detailed textures and more objects.

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm not really a tech guy, so what can an additional 5GB of VRAM do for games?

Higher resolution textures, faster load times, more efficient streaming of large levels, more diverse animations. Might increase AA. So not a mindblowingly night and day difference from what we saw in the announcement trailers, but subtle improvements.

RAM THREAD!
Don't we have a tech thread about what RAM does that recently popped up? Hope saying that doesn't get me banned, just trying to point OP in the right direction

Evilore should just get it over with.

NEOGAF

Gaming Discussion
Gaming Community
----------------------------------
Off Topic Discussion
Off Topic Community
----------------------------------
RAM Discussion
RAM Community

i-Lo

Beast786 said it was thread worthy and now we have this. So pertaining to the topic, I am very surprised as well and what needs to be noted that during E3, we will see more polished versions of games that we have seen and not.

RAM thread?

RAM thread.

Ram threads being rammed down our throats.

thuway

We can assume than that 1.5 GB will be used for OS? 6.5 GB for games- fuck me, that's more than 4 times available memory. Elmental demo am cry?
Ram threads being rammed down our throats.
1292223254212-dumpfm-mario-Obamaclap.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
VRAM as in GPU memory and not the actual RAM correct?

It's not dedicated to the GPU. It's GDDR5 type memory, which in PC builds is only found on GPUs in the form of VRAM, but in the PS4 it's being used by both the CPU and GPU. So it's the total system memory.

Where was it said the PS4 OS overhead is 1.5 GB? Last I heard it was 0.5 GB.

Killzone 2 went from amazing in E3 2007 to this gen's best looking game at the point of release in 2009. And this was on a hardware spec that did not change. I really want to see how they're going to improve SF with the extra VRAM. It already looks amazing.

Exuro

It's not dedicated to the GPU. It's GDDR5 type memory, which in PC builds is only found on GPUs in the form of VRAM, but in the PS4 it's being used by both the CPU and GPU. So it's the total system memory.
His post says 1.5GB was used for graphics though. That would be a strange way to phrase it as the total system memory.

CSX

Yeah it sounds like he said of the available pool, 1.5GB of it was used for graphics. Devkits were 4GB right? 1.5 for graphics sounds about right no?

So everyone is mistaking this with the 8GB then?

From what i understand, the 8gbs is just system memory that sony just happened to upgrade to DDR5 over the DDR3 of today's PCs.

HooYaH

Sigh, I guess each day we are going to have a RAM thread until the launch of both systems, every other day a Wii U is dead thread, and no thread of Vita is dead because its dead.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are people really expecting most developers to use 40-50%+ of PS4's shared memory just for VRAM alone? Bringing up 6.5 GB for VRAM? Seriously?

Also, the 1.5 GB thing shouldn't be surprising. Pre-final dev kits were likely to be similar to higher end PC workstations, meaning the GPUs being used were likely going to only have around 2 GB of memory - go lower than 2 GB of memory for the rest of the system would be asking for trouble.

rockx4

What difference can we expect visually with with 6.5GB compared to 1.5?

According to recent RAMGAF 6.5GB more is a lot of power! I'm guessing PS5 will just go with 256GB of GDDR10 and just exclude the CPU and GPU. I mean, they do nothing, since gaming is now powered exclusively by RAM.

Top Bottom