• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Kingdom Hearts 2.5 to have II, Birth by Sleep, and Coded

Berordn

I was under the impression that BBS did very well for a PSP game.

I remember it not being what SE/Disney Interactive wanted to see, but I could be mistaken. I should look up those numbers again.

Or the mainstream audience that played 1/2 don't have handhelds? I'd need to use both hands to count the number of friends that loved KH 1/2 but are semi-casual and don't own handhelds, but they would buy KH3 on a console in a second.

But how many of of those semi-casual fans would still be willing to stick around for a series that, for them, hasn't had a release in 7 years?

Maybe I'm underestimating how big a sector of the fanbase that is, but I'm skeptical that it still has that kind of pull.

Soriku

When BBS and DDD (both of them developed with the intention of being "mainline" titles) were both reported as being underwhelming in sales, I absolutely believe a KH game could be DOA. A number of people who were fans during the PS2 era have moved on.

None of them underwhelmed overall in sales. KH 3D sales could be called underwhelming in Japan though.

Anyway, there's no way KH3 would be DOA. It's the game people have been waiting for. Despite BBS and KH 3D being like mainline games, there is still a stigma that they're just spinoffs. Not to mention, people in the West at least prefer console JRPGs.

The biggest issue is that the series has been spread around so much. They're fixing this with these remixes. It would make sense to put KH3 on PS3 to have the series all on one console, but if it's too late, people are more likely to move to PS4 from PS3 than any other console.

BBS did really well for a PSP game. DDD was dissapointment after BBS sales.

Makes sense for them to move away from handhelds if they want to keep the fanbase big. They never should have really left IMO but KH definately will be bigger on consoles than handhelds.

Correct me if I am wrong but BBS is actually one of the last games to reach platinum status on the later years on PSP. Good achievement considering it was dead platform in the west at that time and riddled with piracy issues.

Edit: Actually seems that it never had a platinum release. Really weird concidering it certainly sold more than enough to qualify.

Soriku

Btw, on the note of KH 3D, the game made heavy use of the 3DS's features. So I wonder if that's an issue for them. They'd have to retool a lot of things to get it to work on PS3.

SykoTech

Could easily be cross-gen like so many other games.

I would normally think this, but Square seems insistant on keeping each KH game exclusive to one platform. Even with this HD Collection.

Maybe a remake or Final Mix version could come out on another platform, but I doubt the original release of III will be cross gen.

I was under the impression that BBS did very well for a PSP game.

Same here. It even charted quite well here in NA, where PSP software usually doesn't have a chance (especially in 2010).

Galang

Banned
More than good enough for me. I'll hold of finishing Birth by Sleep on PSP in favour of this version too. Wasn't even close to done anyway.

nice... well since i never got around to playing my UMD copy of BBS, i will have bought it for nothing if i get this one :( At least i showed some support i guess!

I will finally have played all KH games except for DDD (how is that one anyways?)

Soriku

nice... well since i never got around to playing my UMD copy of BBS, i will have bought it for nothing if i get this one :( At least i showed some support i guess!

I will finally have played all KH games except for DDD (how is that one anyways?)

DDD is good but people here seem to hate it. Like, I've seen more concentration of negativity for the game on GAF than anywhere else, really.

It's ok. It's a full mainline title like KH1, KH2 and BBS with new worlds ect but it is the weakest one of the four imo.

I'm glad they just straight up showed scenes from the next games they were planning to do instead of being all cryptic for no reason. (i.e. The secret message in KH3D hinting at this game, etc.)

imjust1n

Banned
I have this feeling they will show us KH3 at E3 and come out next summer so we will have KH 1.5 fall 2013 then KH 2.5 Spring 2014 and KH3 summer 2014 or fall 2014 : ))

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I have this feeling they will show us KH3 at E3 and come out next summer so we will have KH 1.5 fall 2013 then KH 2.5 Spring 2014 and KH3 summer 2014 or fall 2014 : ))

I highly highly highly highly doubt this. No. Just gonna save you the trouble. No this will not happen. =)

Is it better than 358/2 days though? That one was barely alright, i finished it but it's nothing to write home about...
It's better than 358/2 Days, but so is getting waterboarded. DDD has strong production values but the game design is intensely lacking; everything that's truly good about it was already done in BBS, and just about all of what's bad about it is in its deviation from BBS's game design.

Mario007

DDD is good but people here seem to hate it. Like, I've seen more concentration of negativity for the game on GAF than anywhere else, really.
It's rushed, with huge empty areas, awful growth system through those dream eaters and the story really could have been incorporated into 3-4 cutscenes in the KH3. BBS2 Volume 2 seemed like a much more promising concept. It's too bad that got cancelled in favor of 3D.

The only redeeming quality of 3D is the flowmotion stuff.

Aru

Weird if they do the Re: Coded cutscenes (which add nothing to the story) instead of DDD's cutscenes.

Yeah, there is little story to tell with Coded/Re:Coded cutscenes. If they make it a 3 hours long movie like 358/2 Days HD, it'll just be filler. There is little character evolution, in contrary to Days where Roxas grows a little more each day.

I ranted about it before but aside from gameplay downgrade compared to BBS it really fell flat with the promise of ''setting the stage for KH3''.

BBS did better job even on that :lol.

prwxv3

DDD is ok. The problem was that they got rid of many of the mechanics that made BBS amazing. I honestly hope they just copy paste all the mechanics of BBS in KH3 with improvements and additions.

I ranted about it before but aside from gameplay downgrade compared to BBS it really fell flat with the promise of ''setting the stage for KH3''.

BBS did better job even on that :lol.

I think BBS has the best story out of all the KH games. And introduced
(sort of)
a awesome antagonist.

DDD is ok. The problem was that they got rid of many of the mechanics that made BBS amazing. I honestly hope they just copy paste all the mechanics of BBS in KH3 with improvements and additions.

I think BBS has the best story out of all the KH games. And introduced
sort of
a awesome antagonist.
I absolutely adore BBS, but I still want KH3 to have more of an upgraded-ability system (as in, you can get Fire upgraded to Fira and spam it 20 times in a row with sufficient MP). Hopefully, though, it can have the same move set diversity and use cooldown-based mechanics. I dunno, we'll see. I don't want KH3 to play like KH1/2 either - I'd just like to see more invention to it than copying another game's gameplay systems, no matter how awesome those systems are.

KH2 and BBS = god tier HD collection

I guess there won't be a third Hd collection for 3D. After 2.5 comes only one number.....3.

Does this mean KH3 could potentially release fall 2014 0_0

I want the command deck but with larger combos like in KH2, combined with Flowmotion.
Flowmotion was gamebreaking. Most of it (i.e. wall jumping and flying, the ones that broke the level design) should only be available a very very limited amount of the time. Stuff like rail sliding and spinning on lampposts is cool though.

IHaveIce

Banned
Lol at people saying KH3 could release next year... it is square guys. Even if it was shown at E3 it woudln't release in like 2-3 years :(

Soriku

Flowmotion was gamebreaking. Most of it (i.e. wall jumping and flying, the ones that broke the level design) should only be available a very very limited amount of the time. Stuff like rail sliding and spinning on lampposts is cool though.

They should put a progression system on it, not limit it. That'd be downgrade.

But really though I still loved having it even in the beginning. Level design in KH was never that great anyway.

Does this mean KH3 could potentially release fall 2014 0_0
inimPEKZZoVsv.gif

Nomura needs to stop fucking around with FF Vs 13 and do a next gen Kingdom Hearts III

Just let Osaka team handle it and whoever was the other director that did BBS, DDD and Re:CoM (Tai Yasue, if he ain't on Versus or some shit). Nomura can tinker with FFVS13 till the judgement day, just have him do the designs and some story stuff ect.

sappyday

If Nomura is truly gonna keep his promise on one Kingdom Hearts game a year then we should expect KH3 either next year or in 2015 depending on when 2.5 releases.

That's just the thing... There won't be a KH3 until Versus XIII has been released..

And since that game will NEVER be released, well you know the rest...

Reveirg

Lol at people saying KH3 could release next year... it is square guys. Even if it was shown at E3 it woudln't release in like 2-3 years :(

To be fair, that hasn't been true for 1-2 years. Their game come up in time now: ~1-1.5 year after announcement.

They should put a progression system on it, not limit it. That'd be downgrade.

But really though I still loved having it even in the beginning. Level design in KH was never that great anyway.
Progression would be okay too, I guess. But it should never, EVER allow for infinite walljump chaining. Completely gamebreaking and not fun.

Ahasverus

They might announce one for the 360 but they probably never did for Japan because the 360 is dead over there.

The HD 1.5 is not coming for 360, iDK I thought Square liked money? Make it PC too while you are at it :p

I'm just jelaous, the remasters are really really good.

Top Bottom