• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So the next 50% off day is this friday and i'm thinking about the SSD... might get it.

O_O That's for LEGO employees only right? I think SSD is a safe bet as I think because of it's price and it's iconic factor, it will appreciate in value or at worst maintain value. Any of the modular types or UCS also.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Double VIP points from next week in the UK? Still need to fill my Christmas pick-a-brick box and maybe pick up horizon express, although I'm really trying to hold off for the new x-wing

Thinking to skip the palace cinema. Might wait until next year, see hat comes out but the last two haven't inspired me - I'd rather save up and try and buy/bricklink green grocer

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My Wolverine Chopper Showdown just arrived here at work. Already opened the box to peek inside, don't think I'm going to get away with building it at my desk though, haha! Looking forward to having Deadpool and Wolvering battle it out when I do hget the chance to put it together though.

wetwired

Well unfotunately one of the LEDs was busted on arrive but I don't think it really makes much of a difference on Ecto-1

Here's a test video to see how it would film in low light, I'm gonna borrow a friends 7D and try again soon for the "final" video

Ironmask

Well unfotunately one of the LEDs was busted on arrive but I don't think it really makes much of a difference on Ecto-1

Here's a test video to see how it would film in low light, I'm gonna borrow a friends 7D and try again soon for the "final" video

That really is a game-changer, i used to like your set, but now i'm in love.
Really disappointed that LEGO didn't manage to create something like that for the AFOL's market

rallaren

Why do you ask? LEGO has 2 major release waves. Winter (Jan) and Summer (summerish - June?). They sprinkle a few sets here and there throughout the year including winter end of year (i.e. the Iron Man sets just coming out). They sometimes have a few sets for the upcoming year available late December.
I was hoping for some more sets. I'm only interested in the Galactic Titan really, which is unfortunate. Maybe everything hasn't been uncovered yet?

ghostmind

I was hoping for some more sets. I'm only interested in the Galactic Titan really, which is unfortunate. Maybe everything isn't uncovered yet?

Have you seen the Toy Fair coverage? Check it out here (it starts on post 6621):

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501106&page=67

All of these sets will be released this fall. LEGO puts out their largest kits usually in the fall wave. In addition to that, expect to see some additional large kits (Creator Expert/UCS/Direct) later in the year.

10234 Sydney Opera House
10235 Creator Expert set *unknown*
10236 Ewok Village
10237 The Tower of Orthanc
10238 ???
10239 ???
10240 Red Leader X-wing Starfighter

One of the above ??? is the Winter Village Market.

We will also see some new Hobbit sets later in the year, as well as potentially some "Thor: The Dark World" kits.

hmmblah

So I bought Horizon Express awhile back, but haven't built it yet. Friday I saw the City Passenger Train set (7938) for under $100 and grabbed it thinking I could use the track and motor for the HE. Unfortunately, now I want to buy as much track and trains as I can get my hands on. Will have to integrate this into a City layout now. My double vip points buy list is getting huge....

Tower bridge isn't big enough for a train to pass through, right?

jet1911

Lego addiction is back in full force I think lol

image72ka0.jpg

If you in the NW USA, and have Fred Myers nearby they are having LEGO sale also. 20% off on all Duplo, Star Wars, and Chima set. They also running 10% off total purchase. I just got X-Wing and Rancor set for $42 each. I am glad there was extra OT hours at my work this week!

So the next 50% off day is this friday and i'm thinking about the SSD... might get it.

Might? Seems like a no brainer. Abuse that discount to get a huge set you always wanted. And it doesn't get much bigger than the SSD. Hell, go crazy and get the SSD and the Best Star on the same day! :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I bought Horizon Express awhile back, but haven't built it yet. Friday I saw the City Passenger Train set (7938) for under $100 and grabbed it thinking I could use the track and motor for the HE. Unfortunately, now I want to buy as much track and trains as I can get my hands on. Will have to integrate this into a City layout now. My double vip points buy list is getting huge....

No.

Tower Bridge is barely big enough for a mini figure to pass under the arches.

Guess that means MOCing time, right? :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was browsing this thread and saw the link to that brickpicker.com site...For whatever reason, I don't like the idea of buying up all the cheap/discount sets for investment purposes. I guess it's because most of us usually get shafted and it's some dude buying 10 of a set at a discount that screws us.

hmmblah

Tower Bridge is barely big enough for a mini figure to pass under the arches.

Guess that means MOCing time, right? :)

Thanks, didn't think so. My tower bridge is still in the box...

If I MOC a bridge it would be quite different. I'd go more traditional railroad bridge. Just wish I could bring myself to tear sets apart for pieces.

On a side note, bought my wife a nice DSLR for her b-day. I wrapped a LEGO set up with it and shook it in front of her when I was on my lunch break. She thinks she's getting a lego set and isn't too happy about it lol.

Ainaurdur

Thanks, didn't think so. My tower bridge is still in the box...

If I MOC a bridge it would be quite different. I'd go more traditional railroad bridge. Just wish I could bring myself to tear sets apart for pieces.

On a side note, bought my wife a nice DSLR for her b-day. I wrapped a LEGO set up with it and shook it in front of her when I was on my lunch break. She thinks she's getting a lego set and isn't too happy about it lol.

This sounds like a scheme to get a new DSLR for yourself to use to take pictures of your MOCs. ;)

I was browsing this thread and saw the link to that brickpicker.com site...For whatever reason, I don't like the idea of buying up all the cheap/discount sets for investment purposes. I guess it's because most of us usually get shafted and it's some dude buying 10 of a set at a discount that screws us.

It's just like the action-figures toys boom back in the late 90's and early 00's. The bust will come I am sure just like all the other "collectibles". Eventually supply will exceed demand .. however good thing about LEGO is that it's timeless. You can always reuse the bricks.

It's just like the action-figures toys boom back in the late 90's and early 00's. The bust will come I am sure just like all the other "collectibles". Eventually supply will exceed demand .. however good thing about LEGO is that it's timeless. You can always reuse the bricks.

If the plastic bubble is LEGO ABS quality, it may go one for a bit longer before it bursts. Waiting for some LEGO misses on themes to get some cheap clearance bricks. The Alien Conquests were good for me because I liked them and they went on good clearances. Bad part is they never did a 2nd wave.

Just a friendly reminder about tomorrow: The Hobbit releases and Target will have it with the exclusive Bilbo mini fig for only $23. Get there early before people snatch them all up.

DJ_Lae

Canadian Retailer Chapters/Indigo

ALL Regular price LEGO sets are 30% off at Chapters/Indigo if you use the promo code NEWSITE at the checkout!!!!

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/

30% off House & Home, Lifestyle and Toy products is pretty good. It's a short one, expires on 3/20/2013.

Nice.

Just ordered the Creator jet (sonic boom I think) for $55, even more of a steal considering I haven't seen it in stores for ages.

DJ_Lae

Sonic Boom!

A great set, and a great price for it as well. Congrats on snagging it, it is one of the cooler Creator sets I got last year.

I'm pretty excited, I remember you and some others talking about it. It's the same designer who did the most recent train, isn't it? My mind's shot today, I forget his name. $55 for it seems ridiculous, we almost never see sales of any kind in Canada other than the occasional small one that might bring our MSRP down to the US price.

I also placed a second order for Wolverine's chopper showdown ($18) and the little creator construction hauler ($12), as I want the Wolverine and Deadpool minfigs and that construction hauler would go well with the semi and helicopter from a few years back.

I think Wolverine and company will go on my office desk.

I'm pretty excited, I remember you and some others talking about it. It's the same designer who did the most recent train, isn't it? My mind's shot today, I forget his name. $55 for it seems ridiculous, we almost never see sales of any kind in Canada other than the occasional small one that might bring our MSRP down to the US price.
The designers name is Jamie Berard. Basically, if he is doing it, you are in for a good time.

Sonic Boom has not only some really cool techniques in it, but the set is so much bigger than originally thought. Just beastly in size. The alt builds are cool as well.

hmmblah

This sounds like a scheme to get a new DSLR for yourself to use to take pictures of your MOCs. ;)

LOL, it may come in handy for that as well ;) I'll make her take the pics though, I'm not a picture person.

The utter look of disappointment on her face when she opened the present and saw a hobbit LEGO set was priceless. She was trying so hard to pretend she liked the gift. I told her to take the lego box off as it's mine. From disappointment her face changed to pure confusion. Then she saw what was under the set and was shocked for a minute then started crying.

Her old DSLR was a Canon Rebel XSI. The new one is an EOS 7D.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Double VIP points eh. May choose between the £80 models: VW Van, Sopwith Camel and Horizon Express. If you had to pick just one which would it be?

Then again I have a rather big order coming in April... Nah. I should learn to treat myself more.

hmmblah

Double VIP points eh. May choose between the £80 models: VW Van, Sopwith Camel and Horizon Express. If you had to pick just one which would it be?

Then again I have a rather big order coming in April... Nah. I should learn to treat myself more.

I'm for sure grabbing Palace Cinema. I'd also like to pick up the engine parts for the Horizon Express as well as more tracks. I've been avoiding the VW Camper Van, but I think that might get added to the cart as well. Then there's also the Cargo Train 7939. I need the Rancor pit too...oh and the b-wing. Shit.

VW Camper Van by a long shot. Horizon Express was a great build and looks awesome (DAT ORANGE!), but the VW Camper is on another level from most sets out there.

R-User!

It looks like set 31008 Thunder Wings is 20% off at Target from 3/17-3/23 so if we could find out results from the Contest thead whether or not 31008 won, then this would probably be the cheapest time to buy it for a while! :)

Ironmask

i was looking to a favourite site of mine and they have already posted the official Euro prices of the upcoming sets:

all sets release in september in Italy, usually in the rest of Europe is mid-june to august

Technic
42008 - Green Camion - 101,90€
42009 - Yellow GRU mobile mkII - 182,90€

Star Wars
75022 - Mandalorian Speeder - 27,90€
75021 - Republic Gunship - 118,90€
75020 - Jabba's Sail Barge - 110,90€
75019 - AT-TE - 95,90€
75018 - Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter - 64,90€
75017 - Geonosis' duel - 46,90€
75016 - Homing Spider Droid - 36,90€
75015 - Corporate Alliance Tank Droid - 24,90€

Castle
70404 - King's Castle - 93,90€
70403 - Dragon's Mountain - 46,90€
70402 - Guards' assault - 27,90€
70401 - Treasure carriage - 18,90€
70400 - Forest Ambush- 8,90€

Galaxy Squad
70709 - Titan - 90,90€
70708 - Locust - 53,90€
70707 - Robo Cls-89 - 36,90€
70706 - Spider - 18,90€

City
60022 - Airport Terminal - 81,90€
60021 - Biplane - 36,90€
60020 - Camion - 27,90€
60019 - Acrobat plane - 12,90€

Creator
31012 - Villa - 53,90€
31011 - Aeroplane - 44,90€
31010 - Tree house - 27,90€

<3<3<3 Friends <3<3<3
41005 - High school - 46,90&#8364;
41006 - Sweet shop - 23,90&#8364;
41015 - Yacht - 61,90&#8364;

Mindstorm V.3 - 350,90&#8364; available june 2013

also bonus Box shot of the Minifigures series 11
YVKruBF.jpg

rallaren

Anyone else with the malevolence? What's your opinion on it? I'm gonna watch the first episodes of Clone Wars because the series is mentioned in every review of the set. I think I bought it for too much. Like 40-50 bucks too much and I'm guessing that's the price in pieces worth.

ghostmind

Anyone else with the malevolence? What's your opinion on it? I'm gonna watch the first episodes of Clone Wars because the series is mentioned in every review of the set. I think I bought it for too much. Like 40-50 bucks too much and I'm guessing that's the price in pieces worth.

It's... OK.

The exterior is the highlight. Looks like a proper capital ship, which we don't have a lot of. The flick-fire cannon mechanism is pretty cool.

The interior is meh - there is a bridge, which can fit a few figures, and then a micro-scale tram system in the back.

Bug Obliterator at $64.00 is too good to pass up. The Target I went to do not have Star Slicer or Warp Stinger (the bugs vehicles) but they are on sale at Fred (which Amazon match all the prices this week). While I like the human vehicle as they give me that retro 70's sci-fi theme, the bug vehicles are surprisingly nice looking. The neon green and clear red make them really stand out from other LEGO. (especially all the Star Wars set).

I just sign up to work two extra day for overtime so I can pay for all these LEGO. This is madness

Upon reading this, i just had a beautiful vision of a GIF that shows the 300 scene where Leonidas kicks that emissary into the pit while the text would say "Madness? No...This is LEGO!"

:)))) shame i have no skills or i'd make it myself but this would be awesome as a reaction gif to how fucking expensive Lego gets for all of us in the long run ;(

The designers name is Jamie Berard. Basically, if he is doing it, you are in for a good time.

Sonic Boom has not only some really cool techniques in it, but the set is so much bigger than originally thought. Just beastly in size. The alt builds are cool as well.

Yes, the Sonic Boom - another great Jamie Berard project. Congrats - $55 is a steal for that set, especially since it is OOP.

The Sonic Boom is amazing! It even has the added bonus of having a minifig scale cockpit with space for two!

Top Bottom