• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jac_Solar
Member
(03-21-2013, 07:16 AM)
Jac_Solar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Night_Trekker

Pffftt, Game of the Year? Rockstar's aiming higher with GTA V.

GTA4 was Oscar-worthy, so GTA V's script will be Pulitzer Prize-worthy.

That got me wondering about the Pulitzer prize -- has any videogame journalist ever been nominated for the pulitzer prize, or won one?
Baleoce
Member
(03-21-2013, 03:21 PM)
Baleoce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Valnen

You know guys, just because they already have a preview ready doesn't mean they were paid off to make the preview. They probably aren't the only major website with an article ready, whether they've seen the game or not. It's a BIG release, of course websites are going to be talking about it.

Except that scenario now doesn't make sense. Scott Lowe wouldn't have bothered to look through the source and point it out like it was a mistake/assumption on EA's behalf if your reasoning was correct.
Dany M
Member
(03-21-2013, 04:25 PM)
Dany M's Avatar

Originally Posted by mclem

Yeah, EA haven't yet made up their mind if IGN are going to award it game of the year, game of the decade or game of the century.

Are you serious?
Peers
Member
(03-21-2013, 07:18 PM)
Peers's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrBo42

This guy is a rational and intelligent human being. GET HIM!

Ha, it's amazing this thread is still going on! Would you like an "official statement?" Here:

The reason why IGN's Scott Lowe tweeted out this source code thing is because we at IGN had no idea what it was and how it got there. We asked EA. They basically said someone used wishful thinking placeholder copy. We didn't write it, we didn't give permission, we don't share unpublished previews/reviews with publishers or developers. Someone was simply using a template for a promo page and staked out the spot where they'll list accolades.

We hugged it out, suggested they use loremipsum instead, they sent us a bunch of money, and we changed all our review scores for EA games to a 10 -- because that's how games media works.

Love always,
Peer
IGN
shinobi602
Banned
(03-23-2013, 03:00 AM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by Peers

We hugged it out, suggested they use loremipsum instead, they sent us a bunch of money, and we changed all our review scores for EA games to a 10 -- because that's how games media works.

Love always,
Peer
IGN

A Sentient Keyboard
Member
(03-23-2013, 03:06 AM)
A Sentient Keyboard's Avatar
I can't load the picture on my 3DS browser, what does it say?
Yagharek
Member
(03-23-2013, 03:12 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

I'm curious how this plays out

We already know the answer: ign are corrupt and EA determine their own awards
digoutyoursoul
Member
(03-23-2013, 03:18 AM)
digoutyoursoul's Avatar
Can see the page IGN BF4 page in a few months :

"Registered IGN members Pre order now through our GameStop link with the code IGN4-BF to be the first to read our exclusive review"
Ingueferroque
Member
(03-23-2013, 03:24 AM)
Ingueferroque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dany M

???

I'm sure that was just put there by some engineer as placeholder.

Right.

Originally Posted by Peers

Ha, it's amazing this thread is still going on! Would you like an "official statement?" Here:

The reason why IGN's Scott Lowe tweeted out this source code thing is because we at IGN had no idea what it was and how it got there. We asked EA. They basically said someone used wishful thinking placeholder copy. We didn't write it, we didn't give permission, we don't share unpublished previews/reviews with publishers or developers. Someone was simply using a template for a promo page and staked out the spot where they'll list accolades.

We hugged it out, suggested they use loremipsum instead, they sent us a bunch of money, and we changed all our review scores for EA games to a 10 -- because that's how games media works.

Love always,
Peer
IGN

Nice spin.
JABEE
Member
(03-23-2013, 03:38 AM)
JABEE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Peers

Ha, it's amazing this thread is still going on! Would you like an "official statement?" Here:

The reason why IGN's Scott Lowe tweeted out this source code thing is because we at IGN had no idea what it was and how it got there. We asked EA. They basically said someone used wishful thinking placeholder copy. We didn't write it, we didn't give permission, we don't share unpublished previews/reviews with publishers or developers. Someone was simply using a template for a promo page and staked out the spot where they'll list accolades.

We hugged it out, suggested they use loremipsum instead, they sent us a bunch of money, and we changed all our review scores for EA games to a 10 -- because that's how games media works.

Love always,
Peer
IGN

Next time don't do exclusive reviews and work with publishers the way you do if you don't want people to jump to conclusions.

You might not give EA games 10s, but you are influenced by the contact you allow your staff to have with publishers and policies that allow things like "Bioshock Week" promotions to happen. You bring criticism on yourselves with the way you handle coverage of games.

When you purposefully feed into the hype of games the way you do, there is no way that editors don't treat certain games differently than they do others. You create that conflict of interest.

You can joke about not giving something a 10, therefore you aren't influenced, but you are, and that conflict is not only ignored but is encouraged in the way IGN does business.

I think this song sums up my feelings.

"9.5 is a great way to go. I hate to say 10. Ethics you know."
shinobi602
Banned
(03-23-2013, 04:24 AM)
shinobi602's Avatar

Originally Posted by JABEE

Next time don't do exclusive reviews and work with publishers the way you do if you don't want people to jump to conclusions.

You might not give EA games 10s, but you are influenced by the contact you allow your staff to have with publishers and policies that allow things like "Bioshock Week" promotions to happen. You bring criticism on yourselves with the way you handle coverage of games.

When you purposefully feed into the hype of games the way you do, there is no way that editors don't treat certain games differently than they do others. You create that conflict of interest.

You can joke about not giving something a 10, therefore you aren't influenced, but you are, and that conflict is not only ignored but is encouraged in the way IGN does business.

I think this song sums up my feelings.

"9.5 is a great way to go. I hate to say 10. Ethics you know."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like you're saying reviewers/editors can't get really excited about games and feed into their excitement.
Jharp
Member
(03-25-2013, 03:00 AM)
Jharp's Avatar

Originally Posted by shinobi602

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like you're saying reviewers/editors can't get really excited about games and feed into their excitement.

Ideally, they shouldn't. At least not with regards to how they present their professional websites covering those games, and the expectation that they're impartial.

Thread Tools