- Full voice
- Anime sequences added with 3D effect
- Kou Yoshinari is the director of the new anime sequences for the game
- New scenarios added
- Unnamed new female character
- Casual Mode added

Originally Posted by duckroll

Okay, new details:

- On the title screen players will be able to select "Original Scenario" and "New Scenario". This sounds a lot like Persona 3 Fes. The original scenario is the same story as the original game, but with new features and enhancements. The new scenario is a brand new story set after the ending, with another invasion, and the return of the Nicaea site.

- Unfortunately, previous reports about how the game might be greatly upgraded with 3D models and so on turned out to be untrue. I guess the only video they showed previously at the DS2 anime event was the intro movie or something. The actual game looks pretty much identical to the game on the NDS, and the most hilarious part is that the game is displayed on the bottom screen just like Devil Survivor Overclocked. Looooooool. :(

I guess this is why they added anime FMVs which play on the top screen with the 3D effect, since the actual game won't be using any of that! Lololol. >_<

Last edited by duckroll; 03-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.
KillerTravis
Banned
(03-26-2013, 09:56 AM)
Sounds like they added much more than what they did for Overclocked.
Laughing Banana
Weeping Pickle
(03-26-2013, 09:58 AM)
Ughh I should have waited before buying the OG game.
PaulExcellent
(03-26-2013, 09:58 AM)
I thought that Devil Survivor 2 was easier than Overclocked.
Or am I just imagining things?
Fisico
(03-26-2013, 10:00 AM)
Anime sequences ?
Will it be cutscenes made solely for the game or cutscenes directly from the anime airing this spring ?
Laughing Banana
Weeping Pickle
(03-26-2013, 10:03 AM)

Originally Posted by PaulExcellent

I thought that Devil Survivor 2 was easier than Overclocked.
Or am I just imagining things?

Trying some of the harder ending paths on your 1st playthrough can be brutal, that's for sure.

Even the expanded Yuzu's path is quite grindy.
PaulExcellent
(03-26-2013, 10:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Laughing Banana

Trying some of the harder ending paths on your 1st playthrough can be brutal, that's for sure.

Even the expanded Yuzu's path is quite grindy.

You got that right.
Good call. I guess it is kind of a tough one at times.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(03-26-2013, 10:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Fisico

Anime sequences ?
Will it be cutscenes made solely for the game or cutscenes directly from the anime airing this spring ?

Dunno, but they're in 3D!!!! Lulz.

They are not scenes from the TV anime. The director of the anime scenes for the game is Kou Yoshinari. :o
Last edited by duckroll; 03-26-2013 at 10:11 AM.
fallagin
(03-26-2013, 10:29 AM)
Oh, I thought this was going to be about ds 2 breaking sales records. Well, this is good too.
ajim
(03-26-2013, 10:29 AM)
Sign me the eff up!
Sophia
(03-26-2013, 10:30 AM)

They are not scenes from the TV anime. The director of the anime scenes for the game is Kou Yoshinari. :o

Kou Yoshinari? So they'll actually be good then? >_>;
Fisico
(03-26-2013, 11:45 AM)

I read "with 3d effect" so I assumed it would be something just like the Eva Movies with 2D animation and Septentrionnes in 3D.
(Oh and the guy worked on Eva 1.0 and mecha animation for the E7 movie uhuh)
duckroll
(03-26-2013, 11:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Fisico

I read "with 3d effect" so I assumed it would be something just like the Eva Movies with 2D animation and Septentrionnes in 3D.
(Oh and the guy worked on Eva 1.0 and mecha animation for the E7 movie uhuh)

No it refers to the 3DS screen. The anime scenes will be enhanced for 3D viewing... or something.

Kou Yoshinari is a really interesting animator though. He has this shading style in his hand drawn animation which make them look a lot like CG renders at times. Definitely looking forward to his work for DS2BR.
dr3upmushroom
If you stop seeing my posts, you can probably guess why
(03-26-2013, 01:35 PM)
How is the story compared to the first one? Still really talky/ doesn't get exciting until near the end?
Fisico
(03-26-2013, 01:39 PM)

No it refers to the 3DS screen. The anime scenes will be enhanced for 3D viewing... or something.

Haha I had completely forgotten this gimmick.
ElFly
(03-26-2013, 01:44 PM)
Can't wait for this.
Hero of Legend
(03-26-2013, 01:46 PM)
So is this a full remake? It sounded like they were making the actual graphics 3D, maybe that was a miss-translation or someone misunderstood?
Schadenfreude
(03-26-2013, 01:48 PM)

Can't wait.
duckroll
(03-26-2013, 01:48 PM)
Okay, new details:

- On the title screen players will be able to select "Original Scenario" and "New Scenario". This sounds a lot like Persona 3 Fes. The original scenario is the same story as the original game, but with new features and enhancements. The new scenario is a brand new story set after the ending, with another invasion, and the return of the Nicaea site.

- Unfortunately, previous reports about how the game might be greatly upgraded with 3D models and so on turned out to be untrue. I guess the only video they showed previously at the DS2 anime event was the intro movie or something. The actual game looks pretty much identical to the game on the NDS, and the most hilarious part is that the game is displayed on the bottom screen just like Devil Survivor Overclocked. Looooooool. :(

I guess this is why they added anime FMVs which play on the top screen with the 3D effect, since the actual game won't be using any of that! Lololol. >_<
chickdigger802
Banned
(03-26-2013, 01:51 PM)
So game looks the same as oc where it was just 'zoomed out' to fit the higher resolution?
metalslimer
(03-26-2013, 01:52 PM)
Bottom screen wtf?
lunchwithyuzo
Banned
(03-26-2013, 01:53 PM)
Ugh. We got Overclocked again. :(
Eirikr
(03-26-2013, 01:53 PM)
Not the total 3D overhaul I was (probably foolishly) expecting, but Overclocked's new scenarios were actually pretty awesome, so I'd be down for some more of those + some new demons. How do you make DS2's awesome compendium even better? Some Mara would be a start.
Eusis
(03-26-2013, 01:54 PM)

The most annoying part is that they could STILL use the top screen just for going widescreen even if 3D isn't used, or not very seriously anyway.

Actually I'm kind of amazed, EO4 was built from the ground up for the 3DS (or at least didn't get finished FOR DS) and yet all the polygonal graphics are a single graphical layer. If they're willing to do that with a game that'd be greatly improved by real 3D then why they hell didn't they just do similar here, HUD stuff being a 3D overlay but the graphics aren't actually modified for 3D otherwise?
Glass Rebel
(03-26-2013, 01:55 PM)
Another easy cash-in, then. Well, not so sad if it doesn't come until 2020 to Europe.
wrowa
(03-26-2013, 01:57 PM)
Wow, this is really disappointing. I don't want to play the game on the bottom screen, it can't be so difficult to display the environments in a widescreen format, can it?
ash_ag
(03-26-2013, 01:58 PM)
Don't mind bottom screen gameplay... It's done in so few 3DS games that any addition is welcome. Considering I haven't had the chance to play the original I'll be okay with something like Overclock. Anything extra is obviously sweet for those that played DS2, and it sounds like the main attraction for them is this "New Scenario".

I hope that Ghostlight will bring this rather than the DS version in Europe. And at this point, they don't really have much of a choice.
BlackJace
(03-26-2013, 01:59 PM)
The bottom screen? The hell?

I'll still get it though
duckroll
(03-26-2013, 02:05 PM)

Originally Posted by wrowa

Wow, this is really disappointing. I don't want to play the game on the bottom screen, it can't be so difficult to display the environments in a widescreen format, can it?

Clearly Atlus is too busy with SMT4, New EO, and Persona 5. Maybe they have 5 guys working on these Devil Survivor ports. Lol.
GulAtiCa
(03-26-2013, 02:08 PM)
Awesome. Can't wait!
WalkMan
commencing Operation:
F*CK UP SANTA
(03-26-2013, 02:08 PM)
So the only thing preventing this from being released onto the NDS is voice acting?
duckroll
(03-26-2013, 02:10 PM)

Originally Posted by WalkMan

So the only thing preventing this from being released onto the NDS is voice acting?

No, the only thing preventing it is the fact that no one releases NDS games anymore. :P
jello44
(03-26-2013, 02:10 PM)

Originally Posted by dr3upmushroom

How is the story compared to the first one? Still really talky/ doesn't get exciting until near the end?

It was a bit weaker in my opinion, it had more of an Evangelion vibe.

Characters were a little better though, except Daichi.
Hero of Legend
(03-26-2013, 02:11 PM)
So it is identical to Overclocked afterall.

They need to make a compilation of both games, unless the voice acting takes a lot of space? What was the size of Overclocked?
Sammy Samusu
I should post less pop-gaf speak spam. It's bad for my health.
(03-26-2013, 02:12 PM)
3D menus are back!
Soriku
(03-26-2013, 02:16 PM)

The new scenario is a brand new story set after the ending, with another invasion, and the return of the Nicaea site.

wut.

What ending are we talking about here?

Also why can't they have both gameplay and anime scenes on the top screen?
Eusis
(03-26-2013, 02:17 PM)

No, the only thing preventing it is the fact that no one releases NDS games anymore. :P

And that all the additions are an excuse to make a 3DS version worth bothering with.
The Mana Legend
Banned
(03-26-2013, 02:18 PM)
I am so fucking terrible at these games.

I seriously cannot get further than 3 hours into Devil Survivor Overclocked on EASY mode. I'm absolutely fucking terrible. I can beat every Mega Man game without getting damaged, but I can't beat this game on easy mode.
duckroll
(03-26-2013, 02:19 PM)
Wow. I just saw screens of the anime stuff by Kou Yoshinari. Looks FUCKING GREAT. Definitely his unique art style. Looks reaaaaaally different from how Devil Survivor 2 usually looks lol. :D

Originally Posted by Soriku

wut.

What ending are we talking about here?

Also why can't they have both gameplay and anime scenes on the top screen?

Any of the endings I guess. It's set "after the end of the world was prevented". They can't have the gameplay on the top screen because that would actually require effort to rework the game. Clearly too much for them. :P
Soriku
(03-26-2013, 02:26 PM)
Some of the endings are REALLY different though. Like, I can't imagine a similar story with Ronaldo and Yamato's endings. Or Anguished One's. Plus you have to factor in character deaths based on the route you go. If it's set after the True Restorer ending that'd be interesting though, and I wanna say likely.

Also I bet the new girl is Yamato's twin sister.
RPG_Fanatic
(03-26-2013, 02:44 PM)
Not surprised that the gameplay is staying on the bottom screen like Overclocked. The voice work is also expected, as is the casual mode. Interesting that they are adding animated sequences.

So they are going the FES route for expanding the story. Makes sense since Overclocked method doesn't fit as well for this game. New female character. I wonder how she will ties into the story. I can't see her being in the main story if only because that might cause major reworking of the social linking of the party members, assuming the new character becomes a party member.

I hope the features and enhancements include new demons and secret bosses.
cjkeats
(03-26-2013, 02:50 PM)
Casual mode? Awesome, I'm on board.
king zell
(03-26-2013, 02:51 PM)
Damn how many Atlus games coming for the 3DS in the next few months!
Hero of Legend
(03-26-2013, 02:56 PM)

Originally Posted by king zell

Damn how many Atlus games coming for the 3DS in the next few months!

3 at least:

SMT4
New EO
DS2: BR

And we're still waiting on our promised Persona Atlus! :D
Kazerei
(03-26-2013, 03:02 PM)
Now I feel silly for writing in the OT that there would be no DS2 Overclocked :lol

Will buy for the better font
SpaceBridge
(03-26-2013, 03:03 PM)
If the graphics are ate least enhanced and cleaner like Overclock, I'll be happy.
Chopper
(03-26-2013, 03:15 PM)
So this is the sequel to Overclocked, essentially, right? All these remakes are a little confusing... :/
Kazerei
(03-26-2013, 04:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Chopper

So this is the sequel to Overclocked, essentially, right? All these remakes are a little confusing... :/

Devil Survivor 2 is not a sequel to Devil Survivor. They have separate stories, just like Persona games.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked is an enhanced port of Devil Survivor.

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record is an enhanced port of Devil Survivor 2.
Jawmuncher
(03-26-2013, 04:58 PM)
Glad I waited.
Is DS2 easier than the first game?
I beat it but god damn did it beat my ass at certain parts even on easy.
Eirikr
(03-26-2013, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

Glad I waited.
Is DS2 easier than the first game?
I beat it but god damn did it beat my ass at certain parts even on easy.

Devil Survivor 2 has its rough spots, but they aren't quite as punishing as some of the tougher Bel bosses in DS1. Overall more even difficulty.