• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Little Witch Academia

datfrownedesk.jpg
calmdown9noq3.jpg

Take a chill pill, lame-o Ms. Salty.

Anyways, this was really fun to watch. I sure do love attractive anime. I'm very glad and pleased that this is the only magical girl anime I've even bothered to give the light of day (that has come out) in the past how-so-many odd years.

Finally, (nsfw?) what the heck is this, Trigger? Deducted points, that's what.

duckroll

So does Hosoda's

Hosoda is pretty mainstream as far as animation goes. It's interesting to note that both Summer Wars and Wolf Children's theatrical premieres in the US are actually filled with kids, and not "anime fans". You should watch/listen to the Q&A sessions with Hosoda at those events. The audience is basically what you expect for a normal animated feature in America.

In Japan Hosoda is totally mainstream. He has won the best animated film award from the Japanese Academy for all 3 of this feature films starting with Tokikake. The award basically bounces between him and Ghibli year after year.

We're talking Miyazaki-level mainstream right? Ask people outside the anime fandom if they've even heard of Summer Wars or Wolf Children.

Yeah, they have.

OceanBlue

Hahaha! So for the longest time, I thought Becky's transformation scene in Dog Days' was done by Yoshinari You, and because of that I had no idea what to expect from LWA. To be honest, I was actually kinda scared. Today, I looked up the scene again and it was actually done by Yoshinari KOU! Hahahaha, haha ha.

Jintor

Was the theatrical release that big in the States? I was under the impression it was along the same lines as arthouse releases.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Little Witch Academia

TRIGGER making classy non-pandering animu. They are our only savior.
We're talking Miyazaki-level mainstream right? Ask people outside the anime fandom if they've even heard of Summer Wars or Wolf Children.
The movies are super fucking popular with normal people in their native country.

EDIT: duckroll got it!

Jintor

Alright, alright, I failed to take into consideration the very idea that Japan would have its own mainstream, leave me alone

Hahaha! So for the longest time, I thought Becky's transformation scene in Dog Days' was done by Yoshinari You, and because of that I had no idea what to expect from LWA. To be honest, I was actually kinda scared. Today, I looked up the scene again and it was actually done by Yoshinari KOU! Hahahaha, haha ha.

That subtraction of lewdity better have been replaced with more lewdity from the animal girls. Seven Arcs, you disappoint me sometimes.

duckroll

Was the theatrical release that big in the States? I was under the impression it was along the same lines as arthouse releases.

It's a festival release, but his movies open at the New York Children's Film Festival as opposed to some anime event or art critic festival. It's targeting a very different crowd.

duckroll

Still not Miyazaki level. You need an actual national theatrical release for that.

The discussion was about contention for the title, not replacing him. Hosoda is definitely in a position to achieve that sort of success in the next decade. Yoshinari is still an otaku animator who is only known by anime fans. That was the point!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What's really sad is that all you jerks are gonna forget about LWA when voting for AotY 2013, just like you did with Wasurenagumo. :(

Metrotab

Banned
Not gonna lie, I'm getting a bit addicted to this show. The current rhythm of the episodes is just perfect.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 32: A Battle Without Weapons

~ You could even call it a greenhouse for raising a dictator. ~

And we're on the cusp of the Imperial invasion!
With the Alliance forces handicapped by missing their star Admiral, it is clear they are in a bit of a pinch.
The restaurant guy (who was he anyway?) brought up an interesting point of Yang possibly grasping power in the future, even if he doesn't want to.
Poor Louis Mashengo didn't get any credit from Yang.

7Th

I will vote for Death Billiards, because it has a story I actually find interesting.

The characters in LWA have better acting and are more charming, likeable and
shippeable.
In the world of post-modern narrative discourse characterization is superior to plot.

Branduil

What's really sad is that all you jerks are gonna forget about LWA when voting for AotY 2013, just like you did with Wasurenagumo. :(

I didn't forget.

The characters in LWA have better acting and are more charming, likeable and
shippeable.
In the world of post-modern narrative discourse characterization is superior to plot.

That's a lot of complicated-sounding words to say "LWA is better because of waifus."

cajunator

Banned
Little Witch Academia

Anyways, this was really fun to watch. I sure do love attractive anime. I'm very glad and pleased that this is the only magical girl anime I've even bothered to give the light of day (that has come out) in the past how-so-many odd years.

YOu should really watch more mahou shoujo. Its the best anime genre.

After a long trip home, Happy Easter!

I hope your trip went well!
This kind of inspires me to sketch something up too.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The fact that MLP discussion will be brought in here because of a Japanese dub is disgusting.

I'd rather everyone argue about SAO instead.

Instro

Little Witch Academia

The combination of Oshima's music and the whimsical nature of the OVA is really something to behold. Everything is so light and silly, and the animation is very overly expressive, almost looney toons like at times. You get can't help but love its charm that's for sure, its infectious. Sucy was totally the best character btw, awesome VA and crazy potions that lead to mass sakuga! Too cool.

Doki doki Precure 09

CHU ...chu ... CHU PI LA PAaaa!!!

Wai wai wai

Are they gonna take care of ai untill the mid season finale ?
Dammit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom