• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yoseitachi

Garbage not worthy of Anime Mirai. The whole idea of Zexcs being given government funds to "train" young staff is absurd enough, but it's even worse that the end product was artistically and conceptually bankrupt given that total creative freedom comes with the grant. It was otakushit of the lowest order--sibling incest, titillation, and a convoluted soup of technobabble and bad anime cyberpunk tropes ranging from the SAO-esque mass coma/death of people using VR brain implants to Psycho-Pass's shitty cybernetic attack dogs. To make the badness complete, most of the short's animation consists of droning, lifeless talking heads and characters are run through a cheap-looking digital sketch mark filter. There's an obligatory action scene so terribly integrated into what was theretofore a story about two characters blahblahblahing their own pasts and expository infodump at each other that it's never explained why the characters' lives are suddenly being threatened. I mean, the antagonist literally bails out when asked what her motives are and that's that. Anyone else who planned to watch this because of LWA should save themselves twenty minutes because it's a disgrace to the project.

Two things to take away from this:

- Joakim Mogren is CG, and Kayaba Akihiko created him.

- The "young talent" who helmed this, Yoshihara Tatsuya, will be directing his first full-length anime series this season in Namiuchigawa no Muromi-san (that mermaid show). Adjust your expectations accordingly.

edit: fuck I hate that I wrote literally two words on LWA yet I was able to go on at length about this. I'll try to make a second, more substantial post on LWA tomorrow.

Magi 20

QjE1fb1.jpg

I liked the SD faces and bits they did with that. They really went all out in this episode with them.

Yeah, that's about it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon] 021
Oh, great, Ikuhara is making one those episodes. Incredible how his anime-saving efforts go all the way back here. The moral of the story is that anime brings happiness to children and fans alike, and that all the sleeping under your own desks and low wages are worth the suffering if only for the kids' smiles.
I don't think the yuri symbolism is lost on anyone. My suspicion here is that Ikuni is telling the story of himself and SatoJun as two lovely maidens who find love through drawing cartoons for little girls. I just wonder which man is which lady.
Poor Usagi. What's she gonna think when she discovers the new Sailor Moon anime is all done digitally and that cels are passé? :(
HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

wonzo

Banned
Ixion Saga DT 25 END

ixionsagadt25.jpg

This show did the whole "online game" thing far better than that humongous turd known as SAO did and was also far more entertaining to boot, thanks to just how self-aware and full of innuendo it was. Fingers crossed the second season becomes more than just a troll end as it has a shitload of potential to be something great.

I hope it looks neat so I no longer equate rotoscoping with balrogs in bedroom slippers in my mind.
The PV with the hand and some twitter comments from the pre-screening calling it "weird" are all we have to go off of. lol

Detective Conan 168:
No more Girigiri Chop? I'm sad. It will take some time to get used to this new opening, especially since it's a pretty big shift from the last one.

They did a great job wrapping up this case. I loved the scene where Kogoro is standing around and you see Conan lurking in the shadows, ready to strike. That was just perfectly shot. The music was once again top notch, and it was nice seeing the gaps in my memory fill in somewhat. I had remembered most of the broad strokes of the case, but not all of the minor details. It's kind of lame that Heiji didn't really get to do much in the final episode, though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 11:

This whole final arc is an orgy of stupid, yet I find myself more disturbed by the fact that a character is using a katana to deflect laser blasts like physical projectiles than anything. It's the little things that put me over the edge.

also, have some FUTURE:

zkc11-15ak4f.gif

Grzi

Hunter X Hunter - 73

Dat sakuga.
Dat art.
So good.

If you're in this thread and are not watching this you're doing it wrong.

Branduil

The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 11:

This whole final arc is an orgy of stupid, yet I find myself more disturbed by the fact that a character is using a katana to deflect laser blasts like physical projectiles than anything. It's the little things that put me over the edge.

also, have some FUTURE:

zkc11-15ak4f.gif

Yeah... I'm just going to live in my LWA "past" for now.

wonzo

Banned
Little Witch Academia

There are no words, screencaps or gifs that could sum up just how incredible this is. THE POWER OF LIMITED ANIMATION

Thanks, I hope that is indicative of how it will look.
Well, Studio Pablo is doing the background work so that stuff will definitely look pretty amazing.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Thanks, I hope that is indicative of how it will look.

When does it begin and why is it not in the OP?

This is Season 2?

It'll probably be like a 2 hour move with like 10 minutes of new footage of them as a kid and the epilogue.

Mature

Detective Conan 168:
No more Girigiri Chop? I'm sad. It will take some time to get used to this new opening, especially since it's a pretty big shift from the last one.

They did a great job wrapping up this case. I loved the scene where Kogoro is standing around and you see Conan lurking in the shadows, ready to strike. That was just perfectly shot. The music was once again top notch, and it was nice seeing the gaps in my memory fill in somewhat. I had remembered most of the broad strokes of the case, but not all of the minor details. It's kind of lame that Heiji didn't really get to do much in the final episode, though.
Not all OPs are good enough to have live action!

MENMA'S BACK

AND THIS TIME, SHE WANTS REVENGE

ANO HANA 2: I STILL REMEMBER THE FLOWER YOU SAW THAT DAY

Random thought:

The events of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer occur a year after the events of I Know What You Did Last Summer. So shouldn't the title of the film actually have been I Still Know What You Did Two Summers Ago?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The Unlimited: Hyoubu Kyousuke 12 (END):

Oh, you mean the espers who belong to a self-professed genocidal terrorist group hellbent on the extermination of anyone who isn't an esper?

Fuck this show. The total lack of moral complexity and believable, naturalistic character behavior facilitated by the ridiculous and false binary dichotomy between caricatured villains who view espers as subhuman and tragic "protagonists" who support esper supremacy turned what could have been a mature, nuanced exploration of some of the darker issues that shape the Zettai Karen Children universe into a poorly-written shitfest full of loathsome characters continually making stupid choices written for maximum dramatic impact, plausibility or consistency be damned. The Unlimited wouldn't know moral ambiguity if it not-so-ambiguously punched the show in the face--we're supposed to root for Esper bin Laden because he wants revenge on the entire world over something terrible that one person did to him long ago; he's open about his genocidal ambitions and the protagonist still eventually chooses to side with him out of sympathy for his past, after which everything else in the show becomes unforgivable. The entire narrative is just a tangled and intractable mess of assholes doing shitty things to each other for shitty reasons--even cheerful, campy, comedic, younger-demographic Zettai Karen Children handled its characters better.

Still, it's not a total loss because the finale did raise one important question--are we looking at Lupin and Black Jigen?

OceanBlue

7? Probably my least favorite one. So terrible compared to some of the others.

I guess this is what I felt about it too. All I remember is being really hyped for it, only to finish the movie thinking, "Well, that was a movie alright." It's actually pretty remarkable how little of an impression it has left on me compared to the others.

Defuser

Little Witch Academia

I BELIEVE IN BASE TRIGGER!

This is a superb show, this is what I want from a witch show. The concept, the scenario and the action are fucking beautiful. This should be a full fledge series so that Trigger can swim in a pool of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom