• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

I think Trigger wanted LWA to advertise themselves rather than to actually train young animators (the young animators they used were already extremely talented...); they're probably going to try to profit from it, too. It's definitely the most marketable Anime Mirai work to date.
Yep, seems that way! Mr. Ōtsuka can be one hell of a clever 'business man' and, specially, a marketer... even their affiliation to ULTRA SUPER PICTURES was made to exploit by themselves that commercial aspect for the kind of productions they were already making at GAiNAX.

One /a/non at the 4Chan's BBS thread said precisely a couple of hours ago ago that it is known by people in the industry some studios were more interested in "what their staffs could do with decent budget and schedule" and didn't care much for the training part, and while I don't know if it is really true, seeing the type of work LWA has resulted in all while looking at what it was 'safely' handled by the "known" animators and what was for the "in-training" ones (https://twitter.com/kyouray/status/318077153398910977, https://twitter.com/kyouray/status/318077439177797632 & https://twitter.com/kyouray/status/318077597571510273) I think we can consider that notion as possibly very close to what they truly wanted to achieve.

DiGiKerot

Just paying an artist more money isn't going to somehow make them make better art.

The point is that, under this scheme, the higher budget is invested with the understanding that those staff working on it will be paid a higher-than-usual wage for the duration of the production. This, in turn, means that they don't have to take-on additional work and can therefore lavish more of their time on the actual cuts of animation that they're doing for the Anime Mirai short, therefore actually getting the chance to animate things properly.

No, but it motivates better artists to work for you and to get into 2D animation rather than CG.
I wasn't thinking broadly like that, and whether someone wants to go into 2D or 3D animation has more to do with schooling than anything else.
The point is that, under this scheme, the higher budget is invested with the understanding that those staff working on it will be paid a higher-than-usual wage for the duration of the production. This, in turn, means that they don't have to take-on additional work and can therefore lavish more of their time on the actual cuts of animation that they're doing for the Anime Mirai short, therefore actually getting the chance to animate things properly.
Yeah, I know that.
I guess the point I was trying to make is that artists have limits and once they hit that, no amount of money or time is going to make the art any better.

BluWacky

Argento Soma 4-5

argentosoma5_zps442956ea.jpg

The show seems to be avoiding explaining exactly what the aliens are up to. They don't even seem to be attacking - they just seem to wander in a direction before Funeral starts pew-pewing at them. Presumably this is going to be a plot point, but while I obviously want to know what they are and why they're coming to Earth it would be nice to understand why Funeral attacks them, especially when they're hideously outmatched as they were in episode 5.

Unfortunately, it seems that Hattie's purpose is to constantly squeal about "Mr Fairy" over and over again. Her role is obviously important, and her connection to Frank could be interesting if explored, but if only she had no dialogue...

Betterman 4

Whoever was in charge of "cinematography" on this really, really needs to learn about zooming out. I'm just glad this is anime so no-one has pores or nose hair or whatever, their faces are shoved so close to the screen most of the time.

Anyway, we're firmly into monster of the week territory now. Most of this episode was really very dull indeed (save Hinoki's encounter with a homicidal welder), but then not only was Keita and Hinoki's final exchange of dialogue much more pleasant than anything in the 20 minutes prior but we also got another Lamia appearance right at the end, and he's by far the most interesting thing about the show.

No technobabble this time, really, though - well, no new technobabble, anyway.

Brigadoon 4

There is nothing worth saying about monster of the week episodes, particularly this early in a show. Big whoop, Marin was a cute baby - otherwise, nothing to see or hear here.

Well, Moe's hilarious limping was worth watching as she shuffles to Marin's aid, but otherwise...

You'd never think this shared a director with Betterman. It's so competent by comparison.

Theonik

I wasn't thinking broadly like that, and whether someone wants to go into 2D or 3D animation has more to do with schooling than anything else.
Yes, but even with regards to schooling, talented young animators and artists are a lot more likely to study 3D than 2D for that reason. (much higher returns)

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 12

Your next Final Fantasy protag!

It wasn't bad. A little rushed in just about everything, action, telling the plot, explaining who's who, introducing a character and never even using him, hell, even the ending was pretty rushed. But, it was a nice episode even if it doesn't really concluded anything of this show and hell, the whole premise was 'solved' by like episode 3 or something anyway.

I liked the show. The fact that it was using Japanese mythology just hit all my right buttons and made it pretty entertaining to watch. The plot was pretty messy at times since they would never really go into any detail of explaining stuff and I definitely felt like I missed some plot points since my Japanese mythology level isn't up to their standards.

Probably won't happen, but I'll welcome a season 2.

Yes, but even with regards to schooling, talented young animators and artists are a lot more likely to study 3D than 2D for that reason. (much higher returns)

True, but that's probably because 3D animation has a lot more applications outside of just cartoons.

/XX/

In case someone missed it; the latest trailer for the upcoming STEINS;GATE film, this time subtitled in English with translation provided by none other than Reading Steiner:

Steins;Gate Movie Trailer - Burdened Domain of Deja Vu - English Subbed - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAm1aF1_ZYc

Whenever you post I'm reminded that I just can't compete with your vast and incredible ero-knowledge. You're like a human encyclopedia of smut.
That precisely you, gentlemanly and sage Extollere, are saying this makes me think that either you are pulling my leg... or this is the best compliment someone can make to me on this matters! :'-)

And even if it is about "embarrassing" smut, I won't neglect I'm proud you are saying this to me!

Theonik

Sailor Moon 26
iqe0nOuYYefLr.png

This shot/transition man.
Based Ikuhara. This was a pretty good episode. This time the Yoma is pretty damn hilarious too.
It's speaking in English too together with Japanese with an English accent.
Some very good faces too in this one. fight was pretty dynamic, loved this frame. Zoisite delivering. Oh I also noticed this frame on the Sailor Jupiter Transformation. Does perspective look odd or is it just me?

Oh God why does Gonzo still exist?!
Someone needs to animate all the girls who explode in their pants when they drink sake.
Edit: Would have been so much better in GIF form, infact a lot of the shots are a lot more hilarious giffed but gif wakarimasen.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Lewd, rainbow nekid women etc.

Yes, it looks like her leg is dislocated or something in that perspective or her thigh became very very short.

her left leg is pointed towards the viewer, I'm really not seeing what's hard to grasp about that shot. :(

Yeah yeah regulus, you hipster you

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Anime Before LWA: Dead.
Anime During LWA: Saved.
Anime After LWA: Dead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tora Dora Ora Ora Ora Ora Ora Ora Ora Ora Wherever I left off - 25

Today my heart grew three sizes today. Truly the greatest love story ever told.

Steroyd

Love Live - END

To become a true idol you've got to be selfish enough to drag those who don't want to do it with you.

Little Witch Academia

Wading through the shitpile that is anime is worth it for moments like these.

Date a Live - 01

gkgGi.png

30 years ago, these disasters called spacequakes wiped out alot of people, now in the present these spacequakes have been getting more frequent and the reason for these phenomenons are... girls. There are two ways to stop the spacequakes, kill them with Hyperdimension Neptunia style armour... or date them and make them fall in love with you.

This episode I counted a twin tailed imouto that flips between super bitch and nice, a teacher, a :DTL
with a 2D girlfriend...
an emotionless girl, a masochist, a disheveled nurse am I missing something?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Date a Live - 01

gkgGi.png

30 years ago, these disasters called spacequakes wiped out alot of people, now in the present these spacequakes have been getting more frequent and the reason for these phenomenons are... girls. There are two ways to stop the spacequakes, kill them with Hyperdimension Neptunia style armour... or date them and make them fall in love with you.

This episode I counted a twin tailed imouto that flips between super bitch and nice, a teacher, a :DTL
with a 2D girlfriend...
an emotionless girl, a masochist, a disheveled nurse am I missing something?

Lol wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom