• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

steve-ballmer-o.gif

jF1Mjq5MZmVHd.png

Twitter

EDIT: Below is an update about the little spat between him and Manveer, a game designer at Bioware.

VqoBBg0.png

OEY5yp8.jpg

jbmJQEeF9tOY7R.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Pennywise also discovered a pretty distinct developer leaving a highly implicit post on the matter:

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills
wink.gif
."

Info on the dev behind the comment:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 2: Sweet Billy-GATE

A Reddit user made quite a claim on their site on Adam, as you can read below:

WgVHms8.jpg

Well...

Update 3: Aaron Greenberg responds to the delicate matter at hand:

6fEIStsl6kp7TqCK4btzWBuYZBB7X.jpg

Update 4: Major Nelson issues a formal response:

I wanted to give you the official Microsoft Statement regarding some comments you may have seen yesterday::

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

As frequent readers of my blog know, the moment we have news about our products I will be sharing all the details I can.

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

Update 5: Possibly fired

Update: 1:40pm

Sources are telling 4Player that Adam Orth is no longer working for Microsoft. Currently tracking this down further...

...we've confirmed this with one reliable source but not two, and Orth's linkedin has currently shown no movement. We're considering this a high possibility but it currently lacks enough verification for us to confirm at this time.

http://4playernetwork.com/blog/2013/04/adam-orth-article/

Sunhi does it again.

Francis goes frantic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cW28VSmXnCo#!

Story recap:
I'm not sure where that poster who does thread recaps is -- but I'll try my best..

• NeoGAF user Shinobi screen caps the tweets of Adam Orth, Creative Director at MSFT Studios.
  • These tweets contain the fallacious analogies you see in the OP -- in defense of an always-online console box.
  • In conjunction with the Kotaku thread about the always-online rumors, this thread blows up.
  • The story is picked up by popular gaming sites including CVG, Verge, Kotaku, and others.
  • David Jaffe attempts to defend the character of Adam (they were former coworkers) -- but particularly his comments regarding rural towns in the US and their online infrastructure.
  • Adam attempts to excuse the tweets as jokes and locks his twitter account.
  • Detective-GAF then finds an alleged dev on a separate forum claiming one should keep up with their ISP bills (implying some truth to the rumor).
  • Detective-GAF then confirms that alleged dev to be an actual developer working on next-gen games.
  • The story continues to blow up on reddit, reaching the front page with thousands of comments.
  • A user in the reddit thread claims Adam is an ass in person and he insists on being called 'sweet billy.'
  • Detective-GAF then confirms Adam is in fact, sweet billy, here on GAF. And his tweets confirm he is, in fact, an ass.
  • Aaron Greenberg claims to be unaware of the existence of Adam Orth. [Insert Sweet Billy joke]

Shinra-bansho put together a nice list for us.

Wow. 20+ more pages. Updated list, that you can replace the OP one with if you want shinobi.

Oh and yes, eventually even:

Memed in less than 24 hours:

And one last thing, Hitler does not take kindly to this bullshit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cu5BRZc3M8

Update 6: Good night Sweet Billy

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...rosoft-designer-adam-orth-has-been-fired.aspx

Game Informer has learned from sources close to the matter that Orth is no longer with Microsoft. A call to Microsoft's main switchboard confirmed this fact. Our sources, who wish to remain anonymous, suggest that Orth resigned in the wake of last week's events. We haven't been able to confirm whether this was a voluntary or forced resignation.

saunderez

If he knows something and is making those comments I'm out on Nextbox and am finally going to let my 6 year Live subscription lapse in May. What arrogance.

deadlast

Thanks for confirming the always-on rumor. Glad to see my choice to go PS4 next gen has been justified once again.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Oh boy, shit storm coming. I think this is only substantiates the rumor.

And actually if the reception was spotty and unreliable in my area I'd probably change providers or at least stick with a landline (which I haven't had in my residence for a couple years now).

This is as much of a confirmation to the always online rumors as we're going to get before whenever Microsoft presents this thing to the public.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Wake me with your false equivalences when Hoover and Verizon knock on my door to take back their vacuum and phone.

kadotsu

Banned
MS is getting very "second job"-ish here. I wonder how much they'll pay me if I can find Nextboxes on shelves a week after launch.

saunderez

And actually if the reception was spotty and unreliable in my area I'd probably change providers or at least stick with a landline (which I haven't had in my residence for a couple years now).
Exactly. I have changed mobile providers several times over the past 10 years out of necessity due to reception. I'll change console providers just as fast.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The metaphor doesn't work because there are no real vacuum alternatives--no, dusting by hand doesn't count--that don't require electricity and there are no cell phones that magically work in areas with no reception (and if there were, everyone living in those areas would buy those phones instead of the ones that are spotty)

So, uh...

linkboy

My LIVE account expires in a few weeks and I'm not renewing it. I'm probably not going to get the next Xbox either.

I somewhat hope that MS really does go through with this, so I can sit back and laugh at how stupid they are.

Replicant

Yeah, who cares about those people living in areas without reliable internet connection? F them. It's the 21st century! /eyeroll

Welp, this kind of confirmed it then? F U too then MS. And here I thought I may get an Xbox this gen.

Mifune

Mehmber
OH NO.

I honestly clicked on the thread expecting to see him say that always-online is not happening. Not this. Not this.

EMT0

Banned
Either...

A) The always-online rumors got to him and he's lashing out blindly, or

B) It's true and this is preliminary damage control.

I'm not taking sides here until we hear something definitive, I'll leave that to #TeamReal and #TeamCG.

Never again will I be burned :(

Top Bottom