• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware PS3/PSV) Sorceress Trailer

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently in some people's overly PC-universe, large breasted women aren't allowed to exist.

and when they're in media it's out of some manipulative intent to sell to basement dwellers

Rather than just being an aesthetic choice the creators and their audience find appealing

LOL, I think of all nipples as tits. Male, female, busty, flat. All tits to me! :)

Of course not everyone finds massive breasts attractive, but the message society constantly sends women is that women are desirable according to the size of their breasts.

I'm not saying it's sexist in intent. For all I know, Kamitani might have nothing but the most profound respect for women. All I'm saying is, I feel for women who are affected negatively by the glorification of a trait few of them have, both in this depiction and others. It's something they're constantly bombarded with, leading to plastic surgery and implants in a surprisingly number of girls I've known (many of which are hot by most standards to begin with, but still had crippling self-esteem due to messages).
Guys like big tits regardless if we see them in the media or not. The media doesn't make us like big tits, it panders to our already existing love of them. So I can't really buy the "media makes me feel inadequate" argument. Maybe it does for some, but it isn't a sensible reaction to take. What would be more reasonable to make a woman feel inadequate is if they can tell they are treated worse due to their body, which may very well be happening.

thumb

Banned
and when they're in media it's out of some manipulative intent to sell to basement dwellers

Rather than just being an aesthetic choice the creators and their audience find appealing

It's fine to disagree with people. Heck, I don't agree with everyone who has objected to the sexualized characters, and I spent a bunch of time in the past thread critiquing aspects of it. I'm not offended by it and I wouldn't call it "misogynist", but it does feel excessive, pandering, and lame.

But the comment that you're making and the comment you're responding to are really, really destructive to conversations. They take extreme caricatures of people's positions, (some of whom have spent a bunch of time carefully explaining themselves), attack them without analysis or elaboration, and have an air of having delivered some cutting judgment. You're not helping your case, and you're not convincing anyone who might not already agree.

i-Lo

Nope, her figure is closer to Hitomi Tanaka

Obviously googling that name is nsfw

Here here, let's toast to that.

Christina Hendricks + Hitomi Tanaka = .dat mage

In a way, at least for people like myself it's a good thing. Eventually playing the game will become more about gameplay and less about ogling as desensitization descends upon us.

Sgblues

You know what would be sick too? Is if you could do the team up drivers from Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, when an enemy(like a boss was stunned) with two players, you'd do two person slam dunk and when its 3-4 players, you'd do a spinning piledriver.

-PXG-

I sent the trailer to my gf. Unlike some of you (who are probably dudes anyway) she won't give a rats ass.

GAF white knights never cease to amaze me.

Pimpbaa

Damn this thread blew up since last night lol

Same people coming and complaining, what is the 4th thread to do this regarding with Dragon's Crown

OMG the BEWBS ARE HUGE LIEK XBOX!, *complain, complain complain*, yet no one ever goes into other gaming threads and goes yo Princess Peach needs to get her cup check upped a size, don't feel her itty bitties

Give it a fucking rest, if you feel ashamed don't buy, move the fuck on
Some of you are so puritanical in your posts, I still can't believe you live such a social dynamic bubble that a Video Game Character Boobs makes you ashamed and people around you feel shame for seeing you playing something of that nature... WTF?

I sweat to god if any of you come and try to derail Amazon reveal trailer, I will RAGE so fucking hard and eat a ban if I have too

Don't you fucking mess with my Amazon, those Thighs are mine to be admired, loved and to be played with

Seriously every fucking game is now get fucking dissected for the wrong reasons
If it doesn't float your boat, move the fuck on!
Maybe out there in the gaming industry is a game that has Vanillaware's art style without the sexual undertones, and hopefully you enjoy it

Everyone knows what Dragon's Crown is by now, if any of you show up in others threads created for it, I'm going to call you out in it, cause by then your just fucking trolls

I agree with every goddamn word you said. The complaints are getting more ridiculous than the Sorceress' boobs. Misogynistic character design, what a fucking joke.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Women with breasts over a C cup don't exist, haven't you heard?

Yeah only in fantasy do we see these Huge Boobs...

0rEYRsUl.jpg

They make the Sorceress boobies look like fucking A Cups!, shit you can play handball on

LuuKyK

This thread made me come back to Odin Sphere which I never finished for some reason (I have the PSN version). The game is so good ;-; , makes me want Dragons Crown even more.

I like where this thread is going.

Edit: Ugh, I said that before I noticed the image above.

lol Im glad you edited. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like where this thread is going.

Edit: Ugh, I said that before I noticed the image above.

hahahaha

This thread made me come back to Odin Sphere which I never finished for some reason (I have the PSN version). The game is so good ;-; , makes me want Dragons Crown even more.
The bunny is the best character :D My friend and I quit when we had to use Oswald cause he's so fucking shitty at first, to top it off he's a really unlikable character. We eventually went back to finish it a month later

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Her crowd control spells are awesome. I'm probably going to play as her since I like playing a supporting role in these kind of games and most people suck at support. They'll pick the Warrior and Leroy Jenkins' it.

suzu

Id understand the complaints if every woman in the game looked like her. There is just 1, and the other two women look totally different. To me, it looks like they were trying to go extreme in all directions. Overly-muscled, overly-sexualized, overly-miniature.

I agree with you.

--

I don't even like the sorceress's design, but I wouldn't go as far as to imply that the artwork/artist/game is misogynistic or something.

If you look at their past works, you can see that Vanillaware's characters and monster designs are pretty diverse.

LuuKyK

hahahaha

The bunny is the best character :D My friend and I quit when we had to use Oswald cause he's so fucking shitty at first, to top it off he's a really unlikable character. We eventually went back to finish it a month later

You mean the Pooka character? Im currently playing as him, and between him and the Valkyrie I honestly prefer the last one, but he is a stronger character, I will give you that. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You mean the Pooka character? Im currently playing as him, and between him and the Valkyrie I honestly prefer the last one, but he is a stronger character, I will give you that. :p

Duuude you need to do some spinning jump attacks he's a fucking bunny jedi :lol

Whoa, look what this topic has turned into.

Personally, it's not that fact that she's drawn as provocative. As I said before, I don't have a problem with fan service in games. (See avatar.) My problem is that I think she has an ugly design.

I get that a lot of people like breasts, and that's awesome. But hers are so disproportionately large that it looks grotesque to me. Like physically painful.

It is very possible to have characters that are sexy but still have great designs. I think that the designs in this game could be much better if the female sex appeal was toned down just a bit, and the male sex appeal was bumped up a bit.

Never heard of this game/series, got through about 20 seconds of the trailer.

That [character class] would be god damn embarrassing to play.

edited for clarity

We play videogames.

That's not the most manly acceptable shit ever guys.

If tits embarrass you then damn near every game should really.

and in the end...who gives a shit?

Unless you are the guy at his job (which begs the question why are you gaming at work?), who cares.

You are a part of a hobby that was intended for children....you are posting on a Gaming Forum.

You are a nerd brah.

entremet

The Kotaku piece is obvious satire.

Regarding the topic. Meh. Don't like it, don't play it. Free speech and all.

Think about what you are saying. This is a Vanillaware game.
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. That all VanillaWare designs are ugly, or that none of them are?

Anyway, there are tons of VanillaWare characters that I think have great designs. The Sorceress is not one of them.

Gwendolyn ripped off Morrigan's astral vision, she was pretty ridiculous, I don't think Cornelius had anything to match that, though going Yoda on everything was cool. Too bad he had to use items to kill slimes because his blue psypher would only multiply them.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Guys, I brought some humor from the worst site on the planet

just when I thought shitaku couldn't get any worse, they always deliver
The incredible part is, that's the entire article. That's it. That's all he said.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying. That all VanillaWare designs are ugly, or that none of them are?

Anyway, there are tons of VanillaWare characters that I think have great designs. The Sorceress is not one of them.

I was saying that none of VanillaWare's designs are ugly. To each his own, I guess.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Must be nice to get payed to shit on other people's creations by insulting the creator.

Sexualization does not imply inferiority or sexism. It also isn't pandering to anyone since the artist is doing what they want to do. Pandering would be if the artist thought it was bad but did it for sex appeal anyway.

Which is a dumb accusation in this case, because if it was purely for sex appeal it would be less exaggerated so more people would find it sexy. I can't help but think some of the people congratulating themselves for not liking it are really upset because it is too cartoonishly exaggerated to appeal to them. And since obviously everything is morally obligated to appeal to them, it is a moral failure when something doesn't.

Hopefully they don't apply this same logic in real life, considering it morally wrong when people of their preferred gender don't physically appeal to them.

2yWXO

don't worry, you'll be an adult someday

Yeah, so tired of these people on a crusade against anything that is showing some skin. Who cares, it's not like this is Dead or Alive Volleyball or something.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The giant tits neither enhance nor diminish the experience for me, they're just there, like most art in games. Same case with Bayonetta. I'm capable of looking past the character design and delving into the meat of the gameplay. Quit it with your fake indignation.

Vibri

Banned
My wife can't wait to play this and thinks the character design is hot.

Japanese culture is not concerned with American Christian paranoia. I'm really done with this Neogaf white knight / male feminist complex shit.

Men like looking at sexy women and women like sexy men. Deal with it. The end.

7Th

2yWXO

Aren't journalists supposed to do RESEARCH? I mean, how can anyone making an article about Dragon's Crown not know that the character designer is the PRESIDENT of the company?

Spiegel

Sometime ago I though Kotaku couldn't get more annoying, then Jason Schreirer started working for the website (or I noticed him because he posted here).

This game still not out? Felt like such a long time ago.

I swear it's as if was this only announced just to fuel a mountain of new hentai/doujin material into existence.

Top Bottom