• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

ironcreed

Banned
I'm anxious to see what Tech 5 can do on next gen hardware. Should prove interesting, that is for sure. Especially since the game being made with it could mark a triumphant return for survival horror, considering the source.

Squire

Banned
The ex-Starbreeze staff has been working on it for a while, and id's engine technology has slowly been getting worse, so who knows!

Could it be the current version is UE3 while the next-gen version is IT5? That doesn't make sense does it?

Fezan

tumblr_ljis5nEmuS1qj0zk3o1_500.gif

USIGSJ

Well that old post does make more sense now, programmer was actually referring to communication on id5.
As for showcasing those pieces in UDK by their modeler, that's actually a common practice for game artists because its expected that they show the low poly asset in some game engine too. Most used is ue3 of course. As for referencing to epics site, that's just documentation site on ue3.

butman

Looks like Mikami is trolling Capcom.

Basically "The Evil Within" is another way to say "Resident Evil"

Xpliskin

Well that explains why they started using marmoset toolbag to preview their assets instead of the UDK halfway through development. Could have never guessed.
Color me surprised. I'm not really sure if there's already PS4/X360 UE3 port.

I'm even more excited now, because it's easier to do non-linear level design with idTech5 than it is with UE3 ("open" night forest level + lantern ?)

BraXzy

Looks reqlly cool. Liking the live action trailer, looked like a horror film trailer

I hope there's more creepy horror parts rather than full on deformed zombie.

Atmosphere > Gore

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's what I figured. I'm guessing they switched early on since the stuff that was dug up indicated UE3, if I remember right.

I'm guessing they didn't like UE3's lighting since that is relatively static, which isn't ideal for a survival horror game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But id tech 5's lighting (at least outside) wasn't anything to write home about either.

True, but it's possible they wrote something since then that was good.

With Unreal, the lighting upgrades are all for UE4, which means it won't work on current gen.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

Meelow

Banned
Yeah, pretty disappointing but completely unsurprising. At least there'll be a PC version.

I wouldn't count Wii U out because it says "PS3/360/PC/NextGen"

Wii U is "next gen", and they could of easily announced a PS4 version along side PS3/360/PC, so I'd say we wait.

Bethesda has never released a game on a Nintendo system other than two games on Wii, so maybe...Just maybe, Bethesda will be nice enough to give Wii U a chance.

Nemesis_

Have you ever seen Rage? And that was by the people responsible for the engine itself.

I played RAGE (though admittedly did not finish it).

If the engine that this is running on is somehow putting you off playing it despite all the other things it has going for it, then I really have nothing more to say to you.

It's so petty, and hardly any games come out that are like this (at least, based on what we've seen so far) so I would rather take this somewhat unique experience on a "shit engine" than another shooter or annual sports franchise release.

But id tech 5's lighting (at least outside) wasn't anything to write home about either.

I believe that Doom 4 was doing more with lighting than Rage did. That was supposedly why it was gang to be 30 fps on the 360 and PS3 although I doubt we'll see it on those systems now.

So fingers crossed from a lighting standpoint. Also we saw dynamic lighting in to engine in early PC Rage builds.

True, but it's possible they wrote something since then that was good.

With Unreal, the lighting upgrades are all for UE4, which means it won't work on current gen.

Well Carmack acknowledged how static the environments/lighting were in Rage and said that Doom 4 won't be like that. Now I don't see the concept of megatextures allowing a very large degree of dynamic lighting, so maybe we're talking about ~current gen levels.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So been working on the Japanese press release with a Japanese friend. The details pulled from it:

-Uses ID Tech 5, they say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Our main characters name is Sebastian, who is on the run from the cops. However, they end up in a place where he watches the cops get slaughtered one by one, and then gets knocked unconscious. When he awakens, he finds himself in a a sector of a facility, trapped in closed-corridors and defenseless against a giant (safe-headed?) monster that wanders these halls...

-Game is said to be trying to strike a balance between horror and action, and to but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you'll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions.

-This is a bit foggy, but it seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and you're being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

Sounds great.

Gbraga

Sounds amazing, thank you for this.

This is happening guys!!! Oh my god T_T

Visually those screens are amazing, finally a horror game with amazing lighting.

But live action trailers piss me off for some reason, that trailer did nothing for me and it looked more new age texas chainsaw massacre than proper survival horror. But I WANT TO BELIEVE

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well Carmack acknowledged how static the environments/lighting were in Rage and said that Doom 4 won't be like that. Now I don't see the concept of megatextures allowing a very large degree of dynamic lighting, so maybe we're talking about ~current gen levels.

I'm kind of wondering if they reworked how megatextures worked in the way Tim Sweeney was describing, since it sounded like it would improve performance a lot and allow more.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

crying-gif-2.gif

Lime

I played RAGE (though admittedly did not finish it).

If the engine that this is running on is somehow putting you off playing it despite all the other things it has going for it, then I really have nothing more to say to you.

It's so petty, and hardly any games come out that are like this (at least, based on what we've seen so far) so I would rather take this somewhat unique experience on a "shit engine" than another shooter or annual sports franchise release.

I'm explaining to you the reason why some people might be put off because of Rage.

abadguy

Banned

Hyped!

Top Bottom