• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

baxter2231
(04-29-2013, 12:40 AM)
Nice but what about shipping? Buy from nintendo you support them while getting it at a cheaper price then you would at gamestop good idea. This is something sony and microsoft should think about emulating. Maybe take it further and offer used games aswell. Get used prices cheaper then normal and supporting them at the same time.
NateDrake
(04-29-2013, 12:45 AM)

Originally Posted by FreedomFighter

Why no 3DS XL though? :(

Need 3DS XL to refurb in order to sell them. May just not have that many to advertise yet.
Somnid
Corporate Ballwasher
Ignore everything I say
(04-29-2013, 12:52 AM)
Good idea. I think Nintendo really needs to put more effort into their online store. It needs to be a high priority item. Much like Apple has learned it's always good to be the first place where consumers look for your products and you get a bigger cut if you sell to them. Much like ND versus the gaming press always make sure you aren't overly reliant on someone else. It's never a bad thing to take direct control and it's usually better for consumers to deal with you directly.
Hero
(04-29-2013, 12:55 AM)
This is actually a good idea. Apple sells refurbed iPads, iPhones and iPods so why not?
captmcblack
God-Tier ghetto pass
(04-29-2013, 12:58 AM)
This is a great idea, especially if it makes GS start selling them at lower prices accordingly. It'd be nice if the other console mfgrs sold refurbished products with full warranty like this too. I'd get a spare PS3 just to have in the house if I could get a certified refurb at a good price.
VinLAURiA
(04-29-2013, 01:08 AM)

Originally Posted by baxter2231

Nice but what about shipping?

If it's anything like their repairs, they'll cover the shipping for you. Nintendo repairs have always had free shipping in my experience.
Bending_Unit_22
(04-29-2013, 01:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Thoraxes

I just noticed this the other day when there was that thread about the redesigned store.

They had some bundles there too.

Same here, my fiancée really, Really, REALLY wants a purple 3DS so when we have a little bit of extra non-bar/barbri money it looks like a good deal.
bigtroyjon
(04-29-2013, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by captmcblack

This is a great idea, especially if it makes GS start selling them at lower prices accordingly. It'd be nice if the other console mfgrs sold refurbished products with full warranty like this too. I'd get a spare PS3 just to have in the house if I could get a certified refurb at a good price.

Sony has been selling refurb PS3's all gen. Come with the exact same warranty as a new console.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications
Einbroch
(04-29-2013, 01:15 AM)
Or you can get a system from a place like Cowboom and get a 3DS XL for $130 that is basically brand new.
serplux
(04-29-2013, 01:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Einbroch

Or you can get a system from a place like Cowboom and get a 3DS XL for $130 that is basically brand new.

So...it's used/refurbished? :P

Edit: Used, apparently.
Catchpenny
(04-29-2013, 01:21 AM)

Pre-owned, no refurb, and 15 day money back as opposed to a 1 year warranty. How is that basically brand new?
Einbroch
(04-29-2013, 01:22 AM)

Originally Posted by serplux

So...it's used/refurbished? :P

Of course! They're not new.

I mean, I think this idea is great. More competition is always a good thing.

Originally Posted by Catchpenny

Pre-owned, no refurb, and 15 day money back as opposed to a 1 year warranty. How is that basically brand new?

Refurb is hardly a pro on hardware. You're sometimes better getting a system used that has been taken care of than a system that has been gutted and fixed.
Face it Tiger..
(04-29-2013, 01:23 AM)

Ninty deserves the profits.
Glix
(04-29-2013, 01:25 AM)
Is a charger included?

;-p
Catchpenny
(04-29-2013, 04:47 AM)

Refurb is hardly a pro on hardware. You're sometimes better getting a system used that has been taken care of than a system that has been gutted and fixed.

I'm assured it's been well taken care of because a Best Buy employee spent ten seconds looking at it during the trade in? I'd take a Nintendo refurbished 3DS over that, and the year warranty makes it an easy call. However, I agree that more competition is good in general, especially when a company like Gamestop has been the big kid on the block.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(04-29-2013, 05:58 AM)
Haven't people been suggesting for a while that pubs get into the used game business if they want to get money from used games? Seems like Nintendo did something clever and first.
big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(04-29-2013, 06:01 AM)
After having my wii repaired and going through 3 refurbished replacements there's no way in hell I would buy a refurbished product from Nintendo. Their quality standards on refurbished units is very low.
WillyFive
(04-29-2013, 06:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Mike D

Really good for the consumer. Since Nintendo was losing money to used sales anyway, might as well start doing it themselves. Maybe this will make GameStop lower their used prices? Even better for the consumer.

The thing is, how will consumers learn about this? Will Nintendo start advertising this? Will someone randomly stumble into their very well hidden online store? I seriously doubt it. This will change nothing for GS, as there is no visible competition.
darkside31337
Tomodachi wa Mahou
(04-29-2013, 06:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Dead Man

Haven't people been suggesting for a while that pubs get into the used game business if they want to get money from used games? Seems like Nintendo did something clever and first.

I mean this idea is fine and all but in reality its impossible to compete with Gamestop, given their huge physical presence, ability to buy and sell games on every platform and the like.
HomerSimpson-Man
(04-29-2013, 06:09 AM)
Refurbs get the standard 1 year warranty also?

That's fantastic!
NintendoGal
(04-29-2013, 06:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Scum

Bloody good idea. Iwata > Kimishima.

Can't tell if serious, especially considering this would've needed to be in the works for awhile before the NOA announcements.

Also, Nintendo refurbs are solid in my experience. Just as good as new, just no shiny retail box.
Aquamarine
GAF's Resident Waifu
(04-29-2013, 06:31 AM)
Wonderful. Healthy competition in the console resale sphere is much appreciated.

GameStop can certainly take a little heat, right?

They've certainly made enough billions reselling used video games at $55. :-P
PaulExcellent
Banned
(04-29-2013, 06:32 AM)
How about a DS Lite?
Please?
I really want one. :(
qko
ME JUST DERPIN
THRU LIFE LOL
(04-29-2013, 06:33 AM)

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

I wonder what Nintendo's refurb quality is like

I got a refurb DS Lite from them in 2008 which I then used to trade in for a 3DS at launch. No sign of really being worried of it breaking down.
Busaiku
(04-29-2013, 06:36 AM)
Panic mode Nintendo!
JDSN
You must walk home naked, dragging behind you the Stone of Shame.
(04-29-2013, 06:58 AM)
Very interesting initiative

Originally Posted by Oersted

A little bit attentionwhoring headline?

What? What does this even means?
eggwolio
(04-29-2013, 07:08 AM)
Does it come with Club Nintendo points? Do you get a longer warranty by registering? Pretty sweet, regardless.
Suairyu
Banned
(04-29-2013, 08:34 AM)

Originally Posted by DrForester

Why would anyone buy a refurbished system for only a $10 savings...

Refurb systems are arguably a better bet than a brand new system. Refurbs have to go through extensive testing to ensure they're working. New units don't have that.

So you're getting a more reliable system for $10 less.
Kevitivity
(04-29-2013, 09:07 AM)

Originally Posted by FreedomFighter

Why no 3DS XL though? :(

Because people who have them don't want to give them up. Also, I have no hate for GameStop. But I love competition!
Last edited by Kevitivity; 04-29-2013 at 09:10 AM.
MuseManMike
(04-29-2013, 09:10 AM)

Originally Posted by DrForester

Why would anyone buy a refurbished system for only a $10 savings...

They are the same people who buy games used for $5 less than a new copy.
Fox Mulder
(04-29-2013, 09:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Nerfgun

Wow. I can't afford not to buy one!

Interesting tactic. I think Apple quietly does this too, even through eBay.

I've bought two refurbished ipads from Apple that were in great condition and for a great price.

Glad to see companies doing this directly, as i do prefer to give the money to them instead of a guy off Craigslist or gamestop.
Last edited by Fox Mulder; 04-29-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Miles Quaritch
lemme stick dat Red Ring
(04-29-2013, 09:16 AM)
Great idea, I wonder if the next step is start accepting trades in for newer models?
freddy
(04-29-2013, 09:27 AM)
I wonder what they did with these before.
Kevitivity
(04-29-2013, 09:40 AM)

Originally Posted by freddy

I wonder what they did with these before.

Probably hardware replacements for people who send in broken machines.
blu
(04-29-2013, 09:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Alextended

Didn't this use to be common practice some generations ago? I seem to recall Sega selling refurbished Dreamcasts, even...

Sega did that one time with the DC, which was more of a clearance. I got one of those units and it was indeed as-good-as-new.

But let me second the 'Nintendo, what about yurop?' voice.
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(04-29-2013, 09:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't operate any facilities capable of producing parts for those anymore.

They actually do for the bulk of them, but only in Japan. They have stopped NES/Famicom repairs though.
MormaPope
(04-29-2013, 09:53 AM)
Real talk, this makes me want a 3DS much more.
PAULINK
(04-29-2013, 10:01 AM)

Originally Posted by pizzaroll

I wonder what Nintendo's refurb quality is like

Quite good if they're the same ones they save for repairs. I had to send in a DS lite and instead of fixing it they told me I was going to get a refurb. I was kinda worried at first but when I got it, I didn't even realize it was a refurb, looked brand spankin' new and never gave me a hinge problem like I had with my old one.
Birathen
(04-29-2013, 10:09 AM)

Originally Posted by blu

Sega did that one time with the DC, which was more of a clearance. I got one of those units and it was indeed as-good-as-new.

But let me second the 'Nintendo, what about yurop?' voice.

Yurop is not in Nintendoland, son. We can hope Nintendoland send us some emergency gamingaid thou. (A big airplane dropping refurb3dsxl, parachutes not included)