• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Retail sources talk used Xbox One games, £35 for used game in UK [U2: Eurogamer]

Agree, seems totally fair. If you live in US, UK or some other big country. Europe (and other continents for sure) consists of many small countries and some of them barely have any game shops at all, especially networks which could make a contract with MS. In such case, you are stuck with your Xbone games forever.

GAH

Ensoul

Seems to me they are making the process of buying/selling used game so convoluted and complicated in hopes people don't bother and just buy new games.

Duxxy3

Sony were coy in their response to the subject of pre-owned games. They simply said they'd allow them on the console, but if we've learnt one thing in the last few days, is that semantics are being abused in order to hide the real truth. Microsoft also said they'd allow pre-owned games.

The evidence points to Sony adopting a similar policy to this. EA have dropped their Online Pass for all platforms. Why would they do that if Sony were not going to do this?

What evidence?

The reason that this used/borrowed game policy is even able to work is because of the 24 hour check in.

The playstation 4 doesn't require an internet connection, at all.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Plausible. But there is the other question; why would Sony do this?

The possibility that developers start flocking to MS because they know they can get their money back on used sales.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of this MS DRM is due to developer pressure. If Sony doesn't partake in a similar system then developers may not be happy with them

Zebra

How is that a customer win? What if someone doesn't want to sell their games to GameStop? Will this still work if you wanted to trade your Xbox game in for a PS game or (god forbid!) a Nintendo game?

"You can do anything with this disc that you could with systems before -- as long as you only sell it to our pre-approved, Microsoft XBone Sales Centers. We make it easier for you by removing the choice."

Also, what happens when Gamestop and others stop buying XO games? It's not like you can sell N64 games to them anymore. There will be no "classic" XO games market 10 years from now if they become impossible to sell/buy.

Eurogamer have a huge update about this

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently
Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.

1-D_FTW

This system requires your system being online so that the licence is not activated anymore on the seller's system.
So by default it can't work on previous systems or ps4 or wiiu.
Whether or not Sony have something similar remains to be seen, looking at how sony handled the situation so far I'd say their heads are out of their asses long enough to realise that's not a good idea.

But there's no law that says third parties can't have online requirements inside a game. All EA has to do is require you login to their server before you're allowed to play. If the game has been sold, identification fails and it's deactivated. It doesn't really matter if it sits on somebody's hard drive for 60 days. As long as nobody is playing it, it's not "harming" EA. What's important is they lose their ability the first time they boot it. And that's easily achievable.

and there's absolutely no chance of MS EVER doing that. EVER.

why can't we, as gamers and consumers, stop this bullshit before this thing even comes out, to show that we don't want this?

some people want this, apparently, and i have no idea why.

We can't stop it before it comes out, because they are convinced it will work.

What we can do is refused to buy it, and watch them crash and burn, which I think will happen.

I was already convinced that next-gen is going to crash and burn anyway, as most people will opt to stay with their 360/ps3. I am now even more convinced. The next gen consoles will be greeted with the same enthusiasm as the Vita and the WiiU. Nobody will want them.

Eusis

Damn at that update. I'm kind of expecting the likes of GameStop are going to be playing hardball afterall.

By the way,s omethin that came to mind: Have they talked about these games being buyable day-and-date on XBL? Because if not, wow, talk about missing the point and acting as if it were late 90s/early 2000s PC.

Mael

But there's no law that says third parties can't have online requirements inside a game. All EA has to do is require you login to their server before you're allowed to play. If the game has been sold, identification fails and it's deactivated. It doesn't really matter if it sits on somebody's hard drive for 60 days. As long as nobody is playing it, it's not "harming" EA. What's important is they lose their ability the first time they boot it. And that's easily achievable.

Then why the fuck is MSFT doing this if that's so easily done without MSFT?

KAL2006

Banned
Also there is some benefit for Gamestop as if you wanna resell you have to go through them, no eBay, no giving to friend, private selling.

Cat Party

Guess Gamestop either has some terrible negotiation skills or they don't feel like a) retail is prevalent or b) they have a big enough share to swing their weight around.

That's a shitty setup they negotiated.
No it isn't. They just killed most of their competition for those used games.

Moobabe

Damn at that update. I'm kind of expecting the likes of GameStop are going to be playing hardball afterall.

By the way,s omethin that came to mind: Have they talked about these games being buyable day-and-date on XBL? Because if not, wow, talk about missing the point and acting as if it were late 90s/early 2000s PC.

I know GAME aren't exactly playing "hardball" - from what I understand so far it's a "sure whatever you say" kind of attitude.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Eurogamer have a huge update about this

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-xbox-one-game-trade-ins-will-work-apparently
Update: You, the shopper, won't have to pay the activation fee for a used Xbox One game - the shop will. Therefore, the price you see on a second-hand Xbox One game in a shop is the price you'll pay to be able to play it.

That's what a high-ranking UK industry source explained to me this afternoon.

The reason there's all this confusion is because Microsoft hasn't decided what the activation fee will be yet. The £35 figure reported in the story below sounds too high - perhaps it includes the shop's sale price as well.

My source confirmed that part of that activation fee will go to a publisher and part to Microsoft.

What this means for second-hand games is that Microsoft effectively controls how much they cost, because it controls the activation fee. Whether that fee will move up or down or diminish over time isn't clear. But it does mean second-hand games will probably be more expensive than they are now.

My source didn't know what Sony was up to but doubts the PlayStation maker will do the same thing, not because it's angelic but because it lacks the kind of pricey infrastructure something like this requires.
If sony doesn't do it (they probably won't) this is most likely the reason they won't. This costs a lot of money up front.

See, I would rather they just kill used games at this point so we don't need persistent online checkups.

Also, I feel in this scenario if the consumer trades the game in, they will get an even smaller cut.

My manager (GAME UK) - was telling people that there were "no confirmed plans" for pre-owned yet (even though we had the issue on MCV on the desk) - then pushing people to pre-order it by showing off the Call of Duty: Ghosts trailer.

What a JT.

He was also £8,000 down on stock take but that's OT

i cant believe we still using JT as an insult lol

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The possibility that developers start flocking to MS because they know they can get their money back on used sales.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of this MS DRM is due to developer pressure. If Sony doesn't partake in a similar system then developers may not be happy with them

Yea, that makes sense. But I think it was discussed earlier in the thread that Sony has other factors pulling it away from implementing this kind of mechanism (for example, the huge Japanese market for used games).

ttech10

What evidence?

The reason that this used/borrowed game policy is even able to work is because of the 24 hour check in.

The playstation 4 doesn't require an internet connection, at all.

Really. They're going off of EA removing Online Passes. One company. The actions of one company have everyone judging all other gaming companies. They don't even bring up how the Xbox is getting exclusive content from EA that the Playstation isn't. To me that could be evidence of Sony not wanting to play ball, thus giving the company that does extra stuff.

We can't stop it before it comes out, because they are convinced it will work.

What we can do is refused to buy it, and watch them crash and burn, which I think will happen.

I was already convinced that next-gen is going to crash and burn anyway, as most people will opt to stay with their 360/ps3. I am now even more convinced. The next gen consoles will be greeted with the same enthusiasm as the Vita and the WiiU. Nobody will want them.

i hope you're right... i'd rather the industry crash and burn, than them restricting the things we buy.

but people are stupid. i've been saying that for a while now.

Once again Microsoft is trying to use their (perceived) influence to dictate how the market works.

I really hope they fail with this initiative; I think they will as their influence isn't what they think it is. The living room entertainment market is pretty competitive.

I'd love to see the how some of you would react if you were into music composition. Look up native instruments resale for an idea of how shit works in that world. In some cases you can't resale a library at all and these can be quite expensive.

You're missing the point, there is nothing inherently wrong with limiting the reselling of your product. But people need to realize that this move reduced the value of the product they are buying, so it's an effective price hike.

Really. They're going off of EA removing Online Passes. One company. The actions of one company have everyone judging all other gaming companies. They don't even bring up how the Xbox is getting exclusive content from EA that the Playstation isn't. To me that could be evidence of Sony not wanting to play ball, thus giving the company that does extra stuff.

or

1) Mattrick used to work for EA and has friends there...

2) Moneyhats

or yeah maybe its because of DRM

edit: i heard a rumour FIFA 14 ultimate team is exclusive to Xbox One on next gen platforms

thats fucking huge in europe if true :\

Subxero

You know what the saddest thing about all this is? We should all be talking about all the new games, E3 or even how X1 or PS4 will do this or that. Instead we are all debating all this shit we didn't and shouldn't have to worry about.

Ensoul

Just what we want, one company controlling all the pricing for the games. Want to play a game that was released 4 years ago? Yup it is still 54.99.

1-D_FTW

Then why the fuck is MSFT doing this if that's so easily done without MSFT?

Because EA and MS have a lot of cross pollination among executives. And MS is arrogant enough to believe it won't matter. So they don't mind taking the PR hit on it.

EDIT: Wikipedia Don Mattrick. He's an EA golden boy. Dude was a player in his teens in this industry.

that are newly released. I haven't sold or bought a pre-owned game from a retailer for years because of this. What this policy means is the seller will get even less value from the retailer but this will mean less people trade in games.

idlewild_

I don't buy used games, but this sounds terrible, needs some form of sell price protection. You are completely at the mercy of the chains that have this setup with MS, you either sell to them at the value they decide to give you or you don't sell your games at all vs. being able to hawk the games on ebay, CL, etc. If you thought you were getting bad trade-in deals now, just wait until gamestop and the like have ZERO competition. That's not even touching on the other complaints made in this thread.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
From what little I have read this thread, some posters seem to be ok with this for the fact that 'developers will get a cut, I'm ok with this.'

But where in the OP does it state that the developer will get a cut? All I see is MS, Publisher, and Retailer.

Mael

Because EA and MS have a lot of cross pollination among executives. And MS is arrogant enough to believe it won't matter. So they don't mind taking the PR hit on it.

Then that means that they won't do it on other systems, so it's really a loss for MSFT...

QaaQer

From what little I have read this thread, some posters seem to be ok with this for the fact that 'developers will get a cut, I'm ok with this.'

But where in the OP does it state that the developer will get a cut? All I see is MS, Publisher, and Retailer.

this.

Moobabe

that are newly released. I haven't sold or bought a pre-owned game from a retailer for years because of this. What this policy means is the seller will get even less value from the retailer but this will mean less people trade in games.

True - but that price drops over time (usually) - with this new system it won't.

What happens if you want to buy a XBone game that's 3-4 years old? Would you still have to pay "full price" for it under this system?

Microsoft overplayed their hand here. No one will buy this thing. Why would they, the 360 is much more attractive option to any new consumers, and who in their right might would upgrade to this if they already have a 360?

and there's absolutely no chance of MS EVER doing that. EVER.

why can't we, as gamers and consumers, stop this bullshit before this thing even comes out, to show that we don't want this?

some people want this, apparently, and i have no idea why.

Some people just don't take this as seriously as the rest. Or it just plain doesn't bother them like me. I buy new, day 1 or later after price drop, not used. I do not trade games in very often, if at all. I do not lend my games out. Soooooo.... none of this affects me in the slightest. I have stable and consistant internet all day every day. It works for me is all. I am not worried about how this affects others, and others should not worry about how this affects me. Just my opinion is all.

Phawx

Someone still needs to sell hardware. They're a very large and influential player there.

Plus the business model for console gamers to pay $60 for digital goods really hasn't proven itself.

I agree, digital will take over sooner or later, but they easily could have done better.

Agreed. MS definitely knows GameStops ~6000 locations is huge to move hardware. Ultimately though, MS and Sony are holding the cards for consoles going into the future. They decide if GameStop will be getting a piece of that pie.

As it is with Gamestop now buying tablets, iphones and ipods, GS is essentially turning into an electronics pawn shop. Impulse was an attempt at getting into DD but really only GoG and Steam matter (from reading indie devs sales history).

So yea, I agree they are a large and influential player. But ultimately if push comes to shove, I think MS would have opened more MS stores in key areas and did the rest via online sales if necessary.

Hell 10% to GS (or other pre-owned buyers) is generous.

QaaQer

Microsoft overplayed their hand here. No one will buy this thing. Why would they, the 360 is much more attractive option to any new consumers, and who in their right might would upgrade to this if they already have a 360?

If someone buys one or two games per year and likes fantasy football, its an ok deal.

Top Bottom