• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ShaneDude
Member
(05-28-2013, 06:59 AM)
ShaneDude's Avatar
Kitty!
UnluckyKate
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:02 AM)
UnluckyKate's Avatar

Originally Posted by archnemesis

I think very few franchises that were 30 FPS this generation will get next-gen sequels with 60 FPS.

yeah and for a launch title that already looks that pretty, let's not hope to high.
pottuvoi
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:02 AM)
pottuvoi's Avatar

Originally Posted by James Sawyer Ford

Wow...thanks.

Is it possible this is real time?

Looks like they may have already started increasing the texture detail if so.

They use 6x 2048x2048 textures for a character, so the texel amount is most likely the same, they are just tweaking the art.
Donthizz#
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:04 AM)
Donthizz#'s Avatar

Originally Posted by James Sawyer Ford

which tweet was this?

I believe it was Stewart Gilray from just add water who said this.
Callibretto
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:05 AM)
Callibretto's Avatar

Originally Posted by James Sawyer Ford

which tweet was this?

well, not by sony, it's by one of the indie dev who's in talks with Sony, he said Sony are pushing for 1080p60fps for ps4 games. there's a thread about it although many people basically mocked Sony for not doing it themselves with Shadowfall, Driveclub etc.
Glorified G
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:07 AM)
Glorified G's Avatar

If you would have told me this was a character in Infamous SS, I would have believed you. Like the antagonist or Deslan's alter ego.
James Sawyer Ford
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:09 AM)
James Sawyer Ford's Avatar

Originally Posted by Callibretto

well, not by sony, it's by one of the indie dev who's in talks with Sony, he said Sony are pushing for 1080p60fps for ps4 games. there's a thread about it although many people basically mocked Sony for not doing it themselves with Shadowfall, Driveclub etc.

Can't find the thread...link?
Wishmaster92
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:12 AM)
Wishmaster92's Avatar

Originally Posted by Callibretto

with recent tweet that sony is pushing 60fps1080p for ps4 games, I wonder what the reaction here if ShadowFall got noticeable visual downgrade but have 60 fps instead at e3?

Callibretto that might be pr talk, remember this?

MS drops 360's 720p requirement. Devs now free to make "trade-off".

I don't think Sony will be able to push that requirement. At least not for long.
Last edited by Wishmaster92; 05-28-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Callibretto
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:16 AM)
Callibretto's Avatar

Originally Posted by James Sawyer Ford

Can't find the thread...link?

Originally Posted by Wishmaster92

Callibretto that might be pr talk, remember this?

MS drops 360's 720p requirement. Devs now free to make "trade-off".

I don't think Sony will be able to push that requirement. At least not for long.

donthizz is right, it's stewart gilray who said it, he's in talks with Sony and said that Sony is encouraging 1080p60fps, of course Sony can't enforce it, especially if their own game is not doing it.

but I think most if not all psn ps4 games will be 1080p60fps anyway.
XAL
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:17 AM)
XAL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mikey Jr.

Why is there a buckle on his forehead?

Buckles are common (and can be lazy) design elements that are thrown in to make things look 'cooler', often without serving any necessary function - or if thrown in for a legitimate purpose, overdone via larger quantities of buckles than necessary.

Sensible amount of buckles: 1-2 buckles to secure top and bottom of attached pieces/boots.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...3/Helghast.jpg

Yes, he looks very cool. But 3 buckles to secure a gun holster? Look at special forces soldiers, only 1 or two straps/buckles max are necessary to hold the holster. 3 buckles to secure a pair of gloves that already look tight/form-fitting? 3 buckles to secure an already stiff fabric face/neck cover...
But! Repetition is a design element and this is a fantasy design so it works here for the most part. This design lands on the lower/middle end of the spectrum for buckle overload.


Just...just look at this. Look at this mess:


Just look at the arms and boots. Not buckles here, but instead we have straps of unnecessary length that are wrapped in a spiral around the boots (and loosely wrapped around the forearms) and an overwhelming amount of button snap points...wut. Apparently these buttoned straps and buckles are "in" for Helghast fashion in Shadowfall.

I guess the reasoning might be because the Helghast are poorer? But how do you not have access to quality fastening tools for clothing when you have shape shifting/invisible tech...idk
bigboss370
Junior Member
(05-28-2013, 07:23 AM)
bigboss370's Avatar

Somehow they made the Helghast even more menacing, jesus o_O

As I mentioned in another thread, I see traces of Cthulu :P
zoukka
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:24 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigboss370

Somehow they made the Helghast even more menacing, jesus o_O

As I mentioned in another thread, I see traces of Cthulu :P

I just can't unsee a cat.
Callibretto
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:27 AM)
Callibretto's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

I just can't unsee a cat.

a menacing cat. :P
SJRB
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:30 AM)
SJRB's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

I just can't unsee a cat.

Haha what? Where do you live that has cats like this?
gogojira
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:38 AM)
gogojira's Avatar

Originally Posted by SJRB

Haha what? Where do you live that has cats like this?



It's uncanny.
Last edited by gogojira; 05-28-2013 at 07:41 AM.
adelante
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:44 AM)
adelante's Avatar

Originally Posted by XAL



Just look at the arms and boots. Not buckles here, but instead we have straps of unnecessary length that are wrapped in a spiral around the boots (and loosely wrapped around the forearms) and an overwhelming amount of button snap points...wut. Apparently these buttoned straps and buckles are "in" for Helghast fashion in Shadowfall.

I guess the reasoning might be because the Helghast are poorer? But how do you not have access to quality fastening tools for clothing when you have shape shifting/invisible tech...idk

Peronally i find the redesign is pretty cool, i thought those "buttons" are actually cloaking points so they're strapped all over his limbs to obtain full camo coverage?
Callibretto
Member
(05-28-2013, 07:46 AM)
Callibretto's Avatar
fitting since it'll be in competition against this


Last edited by Callibretto; 05-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.
gogojira
Member
(05-28-2013, 08:09 AM)
gogojira's Avatar
Holy shit, that's awesome. I'm glad it wasn't me who stole his lasagna.
Gun Animal
Member
(05-28-2013, 08:18 AM)
Gun Animal's Avatar
what if the loose buckles are actually a type of ammo? they look like a sci-fi cartridge belt or something.
Binabik15
Member
(05-28-2013, 08:30 AM)
Binabik15's Avatar
Is the desin different or is it simply different lighting from the previous shots? Mobile internet is too slow to google. With about three gigs of RAM left if the story about the unvei version is true, they could easily add old AND new enemy design to avoid clones, can't they. I don't like clone armies.
zoukka
Member
(05-28-2013, 08:32 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Binabik15

Is the desin different or is it simply different lighting from the previous shots? Mobile internet is too slow to google. With about three gigs of RAM left if the story about the unvei version is true, they could easily add old AND new enemy design to avoid clones, can't they. I don't like clone armies.

Adding new custom models requires more work for the artists. Extra memory doesn't magically create new models.
KAOz
Short bus special
(05-28-2013, 08:40 AM)
KAOz's Avatar

Originally Posted by adelante

Peronally i find the redesign is pretty cool, i thought those "buttons" are actually cloaking points so they're strapped all over his limbs to obtain full camo coverage?

You know, I think you are on to something there. All those buttons are placed in quite strategic places. Aswell as you can see one button at the top of the hood on the new model.
Shit, it makes sense...
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
(05-28-2013, 08:48 AM)
Totobeni's Avatar
The game and its characters models look very ugly (also really bad animations going), I hope they improve it before the release.
MidgarBlowedUp
Member
(05-28-2013, 08:54 AM)
MidgarBlowedUp's Avatar
Looks amazing, I just cringe a little bit at 30fps. I mean, I'd really like to see 48~60fps for next gen. I'm just sick of the double vision/retina retention effect in games that run at 30fps.
XAL
Member
(05-28-2013, 08:55 AM)
XAL's Avatar

Originally Posted by adelante

Peronally i find the redesign is pretty cool, i thought those "buttons" are actually cloaking points so they're strapped all over his limbs to obtain full camo coverage?

Hmmmm. You're right.

That still doesn't explain why he's covered in spaghetti.
Putty
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:01 AM)
Putty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Totobeni

The game and its characters models look very ugly (also really bad animations going), I hope they improve it before the release.

"should of gone to Specsavers"
IHaveCandy
Banned
(05-28-2013, 09:02 AM)
I can't help but feel like the Helghast are incompetent. It's the same effect as storm troopers. We all think storm troopers are idiots.
zoukka
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:04 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by IHaveCandy

I can't help but feel like the Helghast are incompetent. It's the same effect as storm troopers. We all think storm troopers are idiots.

Well they are supposed to be space nazis, so you shouldn't take them too seriously.
Shining
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:09 AM)
Shining's Avatar
Definitely a Persian, lol.

Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(05-28-2013, 09:14 AM)
Always-honest's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shining

Definitely a Persian, lol.

How did they not see this? Haha. Anyway, the gameplay vid has to be my most watched next gen video (not that here is much more..).
Amazing how some people fail to see the HUGE technical upgrade. In a way, they are blessed with poor eyesight.
zoukka
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:16 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Always-honest

How did they not see this? Haha.

It's what makes the design awesome and stand out imo.
Meccanical
Banned
(05-28-2013, 09:17 AM)
I'm not seeing the cat thing guys.
UnluckyKate
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:19 AM)
UnluckyKate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Meccanical

I'm not seeing the cat thing guys.

grumpy cat grumpy eyes something something
Shining
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:23 AM)
Shining's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

It's what makes the design awesome and stand out imo.

Yeah, i kind of like it even more now.
Gun Animal
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:26 AM)
Gun Animal's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

Adding new custom models requires more work for the artists. Extra memory doesn't magically create new models.

For the old models they could just either throw in the (relatively) low-poly PS3 models, or rework the hi-poly promotional models to work in Shadow Fall. They could have some underpaid (see: 25~30k) modeler spend two weeks or so converting models from the PS3 games and maybe the original PS2 game. What is that, a few thousand dollars? For double or triple the enemy variety? That's hella worth it.

I'm all about reusing assets from previous titles if it brings cost down and/or adds variety. That's where it's at.

edit: obviously that doesn't include all the other aspects of getting the old models in but they could use the rigs and animations of the new characters as long as their bodies mostly match up. there's even several ways you can do weight mapping automatically although it looks much cheaper that way. The game's animations already look pretty poor so I don't think it would stand out that much.
Last edited by Gun Animal; 05-28-2013 at 09:32 AM.
zoukka
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:29 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gun Animal

For the old models they could just either throw in the (relatively) low-poly PS3 models, or rework the hi-poly promotional models to work in Shadow Fall. They could have some underpaid (see: 25~30k) modeler spend two weeks or so converting models from the PS3 games and maybe the original PS2 game. What is that, a few thousand dollars? For double or triple the enemy variety? That's hella worth it.

This is delusional and unrealistic :b You can't just whip out competent modelers out of nowhere and pay them shit salary to work magic on your game.
Gun Animal
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:43 AM)
Gun Animal's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

This is delusional and unrealistic :b You can't just whip out competent modelers out of nowhere and pay them shit salary to work magic on your game.

Swapping a model out with a model that already exists is hardly magic. If you had one of the old helghast models from Killzone 2 you could get it working in the source engine as a character skin or something in a few hours, as an example. Also, does Sony not outsource any of their menial asset production like every other publisher? Honest question, I don't know. It would be weird if they didn't.
PeakPointMatrix
Member
(05-28-2013, 09:51 AM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

This is delusional and unrealistic :b You can't just whip out competent modelers out of nowhere and pay them shit salary to work magic on your game.

Didn't GT5 use GT4 models for the lesser cars in the game? It's not unheard of.
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(05-28-2013, 09:56 AM)
Always-honest's Avatar

Originally Posted by zoukka

It's what makes the design awesome and stand out imo.

i don't know. In Killzone 2 everything seemed to be designed with functionality in mind. German design. Down to earth, like Dutchies. Right now it seems designed for designs sake. I don't like that.
It's not a bad design, but i rather see them design stuff with functionality in mind.
Last edited by Always-honest; 05-28-2013 at 09:58 AM.
zoukka
Member
(05-28-2013, 10:01 AM)
zoukka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gun Animal

Swapping a model out with a model that already exists is hardly magic. If you had one of the old helghast models from Killzone 2 you could get it working in the source engine as a character skin or something in a few hours, as an example. Also, does Sony not outsource any of their menial asset production like every other publisher? Honest question, I don't know. It would be weird if they didn't.

They might. But they have standards for each model that need to be met. I think they'd rather keep each model 9+ than to sprinke a few 5's in there. People will spot them and give them shit for them I'd think.

Didn't GT5 use GT4 models for the lesser cars in the game? It's not unheard of.

Wouldn't work in an FPS. Was a stretch even in GT5.
iMerc
Member
(05-28-2013, 10:03 AM)
iMerc's Avatar
game looks great, but 30fps? oh come on.
Caboose
Member
(05-28-2013, 10:08 AM)
Caboose's Avatar

Originally Posted by iMerc

game looks great, but 30fps? oh come on.

Get ready to be disappointed a lot this coming generation.
Meccanical
Banned
(05-28-2013, 10:09 AM)

Originally Posted by iMerc

game looks great, but 30fps? oh come on.

Graphics>>>>>fast framerate

according to the masses.
Rvaisse
Member
(05-28-2013, 10:11 AM)
Rvaisse's Avatar
Kitty Zone : Shadow Fur!
dragonelite
Member
(05-28-2013, 10:12 AM)
dragonelite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glorified G

If you would have told me this was a character in Infamous SS, I would have believed you. Like the antagonist or Deslan's alter ego.

I would play that game.
sTeLioSco
Banned
(05-28-2013, 10:14 AM)
sTeLioSco's Avatar
this will be a graphics powerhouse...
Toxa
Junior Member
(05-28-2013, 10:24 AM)
Toxa's Avatar

Originally Posted by iMerc

game looks great, but 30fps? oh come on.


60fps is eveything
kitanii
Banned
(05-28-2013, 01:44 PM)

60fps is eveything

Depending on the game sure.
In this case though 30fps feels MUCH more cinematic and as long as it's consistent it's butter smooth. Which in the end is more awesome. Seeing as how it's played with analogue sticks it doesn't really get any less responsive either.
SniperHunter
Member
(05-28-2013, 01:47 PM)
SniperHunter's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigboss370

Somehow they made the Helghast even more menacing, jesus o_O

As I mentioned in another thread, I see traces of Cthulu :P

yea they look more evil now!
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(05-28-2013, 01:48 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar
Did they ever release the much better quality version of the gameplay that some publications had? The Facebook/YouTube version sucks.

Thread Tools