• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

99 Spirits |OT| Japanese Indie Puzzle RPG

Durante

99spirits-cover2ipuxy.png

Genre: Puzzle RPG
Platform: PC
Release date: 31. 5. 2013
Developer: TORaIKI
Localization: Fruitbat Factory
Price: $14.99
Demo download here

As a pre-release bonus you get the soundtrack (which is really nice) and the original Japanese version of the game. Also, if you order directly from their site, you get a Steam key if the Greenlight campaign is successful. By the way, do vote for the game on Greenlight please.

Anyway, I found this game by chance on greenlight yesterday (GAF, you failed me), and thought the premise was intriguing. It's based on Tsukumogami, which are apparently everyday objects coming alive on their 100th birthday in Japanese folklore. The demo was interesting enough that I thought the game at least deserves a thread.

The idea is that you initially do not know the identity of the enemies you are fighting, and can only defeat them once you uncover it. You have a special attack which reveals either letters contained in the name (UPPERCASE) or descriptions (lowercase), and another special move which allows you to make a guess. Only if you correctly identify an enemy using these mechanics can you actually really start to battle them. If you defeat them, you can also use their skills in battle or to solve field puzzles.

I think the whole thing is easier to understand with an example, so I'll try to give one (or just try the demo!):
You normally battle an unknown enemy using the simple reflex-based battle system. When you build up enough power, you can use the special attack revealing some hint.
It might be "clothing" the first time, then "T" the next time you use the special attack, then "AN" or "legwear" and so forth. These 4 would tell you that its some legwear containing the letters/substrings T and AN. In this particular case it was pants.
I admit that it may sound stupid written out like that, but in-game and combined with the slight time pressure and resource management of the battle system I thought it was surprisingly fun.

Features

Here are the publisher bullet points on the game:
  • Work out the true identity of your enemies in a unique battle system
  • Capture enemies, master their skills for battle and use them to solve puzzles on the field
  • Interact with over 40 unique characters and battle over 100 monsters
  • Beautifully detailed art and an atmospheric original soundtrack bring feudal Japan alive
  • Discover multiple unique endings that change based on the player’s actions
  • Dual audio: Toggle between English and Japanese voice

Media

Official Trailer
Opening

ss11yumy.png

ss30vusn.png

ArjanN

Oh right this game. This had a successful indiegogo campaign for the localisation.
Already voted for it on Greenlight.

Dual audio: Toggle between English and Japanese voice

Cool.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wasnt this originally a touhou game? I swear having seen something similar in a doujin shop a long while back.

Durante

Oh right this game. This had a successful indiegogo campaign for the localisation.
Already voted for it on Greenlight.
Yeah, the indiegogo campaign is another aspect in which GAF failed me -- I'd probably have contribute had I known of its existence.

Wasnt this originally a touhou game? I swear having seen something similar in a doujin shop a long while back.
Not that I'm aware of, but I just learned about the game yesterday so everything is possible.

Yeah, the indiegogo campaign is another aspect in which GAF failed me -- I'd probably have contribute had I known of its existence.

The game was listed in the Kickstarter thread and a 99 Spirits rep answered some questions too, IIRC.

EDIT: Should say I backed it too and it's a very fun game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Forgot to mention though very cool to see a thread bout an indie game like this thanks for the post Durante!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Can you post that in the Indie Games thread as well please so that I dont forget when creating next months thread?
Also, random note for anyone else reading this: If there is a new Indie game you feel strongly about, post it in the Indie thread so we can collect all of these releases monthly.

Hello, Ozhan Sen here. Can't tell you how happy it makes a person to wake up to articles like this after painting eyes on boxes until the morning. :)

I'll just shoot a photo to show you what I'm talking about (click for full size):

I'm adding the final touches to the collectors edition boxes from the IndieGoGo campaign while the latest release candidate is being uploaded to all distros by Jakke.

Moving on, we are glad to see the positive response from fellow gaffers. If anyone has any questions regarding 99 Spirits, War of the Human Tanks or Fruitbat Factory, I'd be happy to answer.

After winning the BIAB Eclectic Delights Indie Dev Grant and getting 252% of the aimed funds at the IndieGoGo campaign 99 Spirits made a nice start and at the time I was writing this post, was the 5th most popular game on Desura and 6th most popular Indie Game on GamersGate, all within few hours of its release.

Now that's worth celebrating! So here fellow gaffers, if you played the demo and want to play the rest of the story, a chance to do it for free if you are fast enough and know how to see them:
mini_h_b.png
99 Spirits Deluxe Edition - Desura Key
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
enemey_image.png

Please reply with the key you used so others can know that it is gone. And don't spoil the others or grab multiples.

peakish

Cool, I'm bookmarking this thread and will check the demo out as soon as I have access to a Windows PC again. Puzzling in battles sounds very interesting to me, I love stuff like that.

After winning the BIAB Eclectic Delights Indie Dev Grant and getting 252% of the aimed funds at the IndieGoGo campaign 99 Spirits made a nice start and at the time I was writing this post, was the 5th most popular game on Desura and 6th most popular Indie Game on GamersGate, all within few hours of its release.

Now that's worth celebrating! So here fellow gaffers, if you played the demo and want to play the rest of the story, a chance to do it for free if you are fast enough and know how to see them:

Please reply with the key you used so others can know that it is gone. And don't spoil the others or grab multiples.
I'm not grabbing one of these (yet! :p) but very nice of you!

flowsnake

mini_h_b.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
enemey_image.png

Thanks, used HWN9V-AUWV3-A6NI5-49D54-SR2JQ

Rom1944

mini_h_b.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
enemey_image.png

LTM5F-GFZYV-VBK30-5DURH-M1RUB used Thanks a lot

mini_h_b.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
enemey_image.png

Looks like they all have been used. I was too slow, but I'll keep my eyes on this game. Looks interesting!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

mini_h_b.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
main_item_05.png
enemey_image.png

Got one! Awesome, thanks :) One game less to drain my wallet in the upcoming Indie thread for june.

VKAIZ-H2AO8-6VUKP-YK7UA-VYLCB

Durante

I got my preorder today, but didn't have much time to play. One thing I noticed is seems like you can simply move the "savedata" folder from the demo install directory to the full game and continue where you left off.

I'll post some impressions of the full game once I get some more playtime, hopefully tomorrow.

Forkball

To my credit, I did post about this game before on GAF.

Recently I found a game called 99 Spirits on Greenlight. It looks pretty interesting, it seems to mix strategy RPGs with Pokemon and puzzle gameplay. Supposedly the English version will hit in May, so hopefully it will be on Steam soon after its release.

Also this song has been stuck in my head for weeks. The game looks really interesting and I'm a sucker for games that use Japanese mythology. I was going to wait for a Steam release, but I might pick it up early since I didn't know they would give you a free Steam key if you bought it from them.

As a side note, this type of game would seem perfect for Nintendo's eShop.

The current IndieRoyale, named The Alaska bundle has 99 Spirits alongside a nice bunch of Steam titles.

Currently it is close to the top 100 of Steam's Greenlight and just needs another push to break through.

People who gets the game through this bundle, Fruitbat Factory store and May2013 IndieGoGo will receive a free Steam key when it is Greenlit.

Lain

I bought that bundle mostly for this game.
I hope it gets greenlit, though I hope the same for War of the Human Tanks.

Kokonoe

Banned
The music and english voice acting is great but I can't even get past the first spirit after the fox teaches you how identify. I can't seem to figure out the hints even on easy mode.

peakish

I just got my Steam key for the game.

It's up, with a full set of Steam features (achievements, cards, cloud saves, the works).
I actually picked it up earlier this evening, along with Rage.

Which incidentally is giving me a ton of headache atm, jesus christ what a crappy port job.

Anyway, I'll report back on this game later.

Lain

should i bite?

For what I have played, it seems pretty interesting.
It's not everyday that to defeat your enemy you have to defend from its hits to be able to input its name which you have to find by attacking it which yield hints.

Getting bonus exp for not missing counters, only needing few hints, getting it right with the first answer etc is a nice touch.

For what I have played, it seems pretty interesting.
It's not everyday that to defeat your enemy you have to defend from its hits to be able to input its name which you have to find by attacking it which yield hints.
Eh, there was an anime like that..
Campione..
The protagonist had the power to seal/weaken his opponente (other deities) as eh knew more of their myth background/ability.. Usually this process involved either psyching up with One of the girls or getting beat :p

Lain

Eh, there was an anime like that..
Campione..
The protagonist had the power to seal/weaken his opponente (other deities) as eh knew more of their myth background/ability.. Usually this process involved either psyching up with One of the girls or getting beat :p

I liked Campione, and in a way I can see a sort of similarity with having to figure out stuff about opponents to beat them, though here you're completely blind about who your opponent is and have to base it all on the hints you beat out of them.

I spent a bit more time with it and I'm really appreciating the battle mechanics. It's just a attack/defend deal for now but the counters and the action feels help keep the pace up. I unlocked the first upgrades before stopping for the day, which should make it easier to figure out the enemies and add something more to the battles as well.

Given how the game does require a bit of words knowledge to figure out who your enemy is, I wish there were more language options, specifically one that covered mine XD.
Still, it's been a nice, fun game so far.

Durante

I played some more now, and got to the point where I can capture Tsukumogami and use their skills. Both the battle system and the dungeon crawling open up quite a bit with that, and of course it fuels the old completionist urge. I'm having a lot of fun with the game.

I do have to echo some of the comments on the Steam hub though, it's probably a bad game to play if you don't have a good grasp of English. Or even better, a good grasp of English and some knowledge of common Japanese objects (e.g. know what Torii are). It's still doable without those prerequisites by using the index, but a lot more cumbersome and annoying I would imagine.

Top Bottom