• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don Mattrick: "Fortunately" consumers without a connection can buy Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

Went into gamestop today. Sales guy is telling everyone who walks into the store about Don's comments.
Sony couldn't have better PR people than the MS execs right now.
At least at my local gamestop they seem to be telling everybody not to buy the Xbone.

This can only mean two things:

1. Phil Harrison still works for Sony
2. Kutaragi's spirit somehow took control over Mattrick

DAT hubris. Christ...

Went into gamestop today. Sales guy is telling everyone who walks into the store about Don's comments.
At least at my local gamestop they seem to be telling everybody not to buy the Xbone.
Damn lol

Freki

I doubt this will matter in the first two months - I expect both to sell out this year.
The real intersting part starts next year, when the consoles aren't supply constrained anymore.

Croyles

I am definitely a Sony fan, but I wouldn't say a 'fanboy'. I am a grown up for gods sake. When push comes to shove I wouldn't side with any company out of 'loyalty'.

The 360 came around at just the right time to show Sony that it is NOT ok to just do whatever you like. Sony 2006 was, back then, the height of arrogance, but compared to Microsoft of 2013, they at least had 2 ultra successful dominating console generations behind it to somewhat explain that arrogance.

Plus the thing that put everyone off was the price point and the whole "get 2 jobs" attitude alone. Microsoft is doing SOOO much more damage this time around. Microsoft has had 1 lacklustre sold console and 1 console that is about even with the PS3, and way behind the Wii in terms of sales.

Thing is, I am ultra worried that it will work for them.

Now most people on the internet seems to be against what Microsoft is doing, but I REALLY worry about how this is going to turn out. I would like to, but not sure that I have the faith in the average consumer to notice an anti-consumer policy when it's staring them in the face. The biggest thing going for the PS4 to a clueless consumer is the price point, and not the policies. I hope it is enough.

Before this, I have never wanted a console to fail, EVER. The competition needs to always be there, but this is so funny and downright worrying at the same.

Can you imagine if this xbox actually sells well or better than the rest? If there's a company that knows how to sell absolute garbage it is definitely Microsoft, and they have ALWAYS done this by dictating and NOT by meeting demands.

I think I may stick with my Gamegear, thanks. :)

Revoh

I4VFhcJ.png

Holy shit hahaha

RobbieH

Front page of Yahoo right now, the 4th most visited site in the world.

ZsSnUlX.png

Yeah, this has spread. It's the highest trending story on Forbes, Huffington Post is running it, every tech site has it. Microsoft executives shouldn't be allowed, well, speak.

Ding-Ding

This must be a thing. I went into Game (the UK equivalent) during my lunchtime and an old couple were trying to preorder the xbone (I presume xmas present for grandkids).

The two members of staff were telling them about the disadvantages of it though. They really couldn't have been more pro PS4 unless they morphed into Jack Tretton.

Didn't think it was company policy and didn't know if they changed the couples mind but it was funny as fuck

Cynar

This must be a thing. I went into Game (the UK equivalent) during my lunchtime and an old couple were trying to preorder the xbone (I presume xmas present for grandkids).

The two members of staff were telling them about the disadvantages of it though. They really couldn't have been more pro PS4 unless they morphed into Jack Tretton.

Didn't think it was company policy and didn't know if they changed the couples mind but it was funny as fuck

They were probably just asking all the required questions. It's going to be a pain in the ass if those grandparents have to return the product because their grandkids lack internet access, want the ability to share games, etc. I see a lot of people doing returns on this once they realize it for the shit it is.

Fox Mulder

Can you imagine if this xbox actually sells well or better than the rest? If there's a company that knows how to sell absolute garbage it is definitely Microsoft, and they have ALWAYS done this by dictating and NOT by meeting demands.

)

Just look at how many Kinects they sold off of wii ripoffs, lies, and dancing. The hardware was awful and didnt always work right, but people ate it up.

Sony deserved to be knocked down a peg for their 2006 hubris, but at least they were coming off two dominating gens and the ps3 was a beastly machine with lots of potential. The Xbox one isn't as powerful as the ps4 and is $100 more, because clouds and kinect I guess.

BadWolf

Good, expected as much.

commedieu

Banned
They got Sony syndrome for sure. It's like you get to make 2 good consoles then go of the rails when promoting the 3rd.

well.. they aren't at the "get a second job" part of the fall. Yet.

Its just so..out of touch. I feel like Microsoft is the GOP at this point. Just can't do PR without sounding out of touch and offensive.

edit:

And why are we debating sales this gen? Microsoft is killing a % of their strongest market, and giving up internationally with the drm and the strange tv focus. They will do very well in the USA, and I imagine a little worse than the 360 worldwide. But hasn't it always been, worldwide, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft?

Microsoft can advertise, the spend more on it than most things. It will sell to people informed(as gaf is illustrating) and uninformed.

Doesn't mean that its sales are indicative of anything outside of good marketing. Microsoft could sell a rock with mountain dew cross advertising to millions I'd imagine.

Vibranium

Banned
My eyes almost bulged out of my head when I read Mattrick's comments last night, the arrogance...

On behalf of British Columbia, Canada and our awesome games development scene I'd like to apologize to everyone for giving Don to the industry and Microsoft.

There was an interview with him in the Vancouver Sun a while ago and it was ridiculous how high and mighty he was about Kinect and entertainment. There are some really genuine indie devs in my province and I'd imagine they're super upset about the Xbox One fallout and Mattrick making a tool out of himself.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They were probably just asking all the required questions. It's going to be a pain in the ass if those grandparents have to return the product because their grandkids lack internet access, want the ability to share games, etc. I see a lot of people doing returns on this once they realize it for the shit it is.
Absolutely.

kirblar

My eyes almost bulged out of my head when I read Mattrick's comments last night, the arrogance...

On behalf of British Columbia, Canada and our awesome games development scene I'd like to apologize to everyone for giving Don to the industry and Microsoft.
First Bryan Adams, now this.

Nevasleep

I think the same will be happening in every Game store, led by staff not policy. Any threat to used games could be seen as threat to their jobs, even if Game is likely to be an 'authorised reseller'.

Yawnier

Banned
How did MS get so arrogant? The X360 was definitely NOT a Ps2 in terms of success.

I've been wondering the same thing. Sony were actually on top of the gaming world with the PS2 and blew it with the PS3 launch.

MS though, not even close with the 360.

ZPs

Brutal. There was no way out of getting out of that question unscathed, but Mattrick turned minor PR damage into mega PR damage here. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets Orth'ed in a week or two because of this.

The more I listen to this and then think on everything they are doing, the more amazed I am. I honestly cannot recall seeing anyone in their position this out of touch, while acting as if they are just going out of their way to piss off and alienate as many people as possible. It really is astounding.

I feel the same way you do. I am truly amazed at how they are going about this and their responses.

Apple seems to know how to sell overpriced garbage and people gobble it up, seems MS is taking notes from them.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It reads like an Onion article. What an out of touch corporate ass, I love his comment on phones...

There are phones readily available that don't require data plans and the like.

Sony was cocky in 2006, in 2013 Microsoft just comes off as incredibly dumb.

I almost feel bad for Mattrick because it must be tiring to keep on lying to people about their "vision" and their DRM schemes. I have already told everyone I know who game that the Xbone is complete and utter trash. They have the ability to spy on you with Kinect and they are anti consumer with their practices. Of the thirty or so people I know personally know who play games 1 of them is going to buy the Xbone. I will try to change his mind in the next few months but we will see. The best advertisement is word of mouth and im doing my part to make sure Microsoft does not win this battle.

Azih

You know, MS is making the same mistake Sony made with PS3. Forgetting their core customers.

Hell MS has been screwing up so badly that no one is even speaking about no more free online multiplay for PS4. That's.... man, you gotta really screw up for that to happen.

Protein

Banned

Holy shit same thing here :lol

Ding-Ding

Yeah, they probably did have to, the reason it was so funny was because after every negative sentence, they said something along the lines of "the PS4 doesn't do that"

Fox Mulder

Brutal. There was no way out of getting out of that question unscathed, but Mattrick turned minor PR damage into mega PR damage here. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets Orth'ed in a week or two because of this.

He won't get fired, MS just comes off as out of touch sometimes. Ballmer has a number of wonderful quotes and he's the CEO.

Minigo

The thing about Mattrick is that he has this look on his face like he is going to have a nervous breakdown in any moment and he is going to start crying, even when he smiles he looks like he is about to cry :(

commedieu

Banned
Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

K... time to call out the elephant.

If I'm making a game, and I want it to sell well.. Why do I want to restrict who the potential audience is? With this device, its DRM, is isolated countries, and its price, when I don't have to deal with that for other manufacturers?

Whats the gameplan here Microsoft?

MS deserves a slap in the face, so I'm all for gamestop employees and anyone in general to inform people of the disadvantages of the xbone and let them decide after being informed. i just want everyone to know of it's draconian 24hr drm, online requirement so they're not misled.... if it's not for them...then they can buy a 360!

Deepo

next time my fiance asks me to get her some water im going to tell her "look, our cupboard contains a wide range of snacks, ingredients, and just-add-water meal mixes that bring tremendous stomach-filling opportunities to us and any of our potential guests."

Hahaha, brilliant! My girlfriend works as a PR manager, have to try this on her some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom