• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

ash_ag

The original game is a good game, but not really much more. Uprising elevated the franchise to another level.

The original game is... Let's just say that unless you're absolutely sure you can handle how punishing and unforgiving its difficulty is, I'd suggest not touching it. To put things in perspective, I'd argue that it's much harder than the original Castlevania and Mega Man.

That's for the NES version, by the way. I'm not sure if they've changed anything in the 3D Classics edition.

I was rather bored today, so I decided to recreate some of the screenshots that have been posted on the official site in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I haven't mastered dual controller usage to the proficiency of Mr. Sakurai, so please bear with me!

screen-1.jpg
jFz5TEOwPKFKZ.png

screen-3.jpg
jbasvdf6akkUWd.png

screen-4.jpg
j22IUkmGYxjpz.png

screen-1.jpg
jbx2rg9upP4C3O.png

screen-3.jpg
j0I5oGkDgzE1Y.png

screen-6.jpg
jjLJr31x7rgU4.png

screen-1.jpg
jgyo33d1Y25wI.png

screen-2.jpg
j7fv1lOAawCBD.png

screen-5.jpg
jM5ZXGNXystbX.png

screen-2.jpg
jbeDvjKQCg5B86.png

screen-5.jpg
j0tdlUrEnxqNO.png

screen-3.jpg
jmGKnRmcWBZma.png

screen-4.jpg
jJLn9bzqpwQhW.png

screen-2.jpg
jSYyFayqwoSE9.png

For some reason, some animations are mirrored in the newest iteration. I hope to do more if I can.

The original game is... Let's just say that unless you're absolutely sure you can handle how punishing and unforgiving its difficulty is, I'd suggest not touching it. To put things in perspective, I'd argue that it's much harder than the original Castlevania and Mega Man.

That's for the NES version, by the way. I'm not sure if they've changed anything in the 3D Classics edition.

The original Kid Icarus is way easier than the first Castlevania. It's probably slightly easier than the first Mega Man too. All you have to know is that the game expects you to kill basically every enemy you come across. If you do that and avoid the treasure rooms, you won't end up underleveled.

I was rather bored today, so I decided to recreate some of the screenshots that have been posted on the official site in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I haven't mastered dual controller usage to the proficiency of Mr. Sakurai, so please bear with me!

For some reason, some animations are mirrored in the newest iteration. I hope to do more if I can.

Thanks, really nice.

The two Links side by side (I couldn't copy the other image) show a huge difference. Kirby too (surprisingly).

ash_ag

The original Kid Icarus is way easier than the first Castlevania. It's probably slightly easier than the first Mega Man too. All you have to know is that the game expects you to kill basically every enemy you come across. If you do that and avoid the treasure rooms, you won't end up underleveled.

Mega Man and Castlevania had harder bosses, but their platforming doesn't compare to Kid Icarus in my opinion. I guess it's just a different kind of difficulty, so, it may depend on the person.

By the way, great work Silent_Ocarina!

GAMERG0D

These are really really good! Hope to see more.

edit: sorry for double post

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, the difference isn't just due to more detailed models, but it's also in the colors: much more vibrant compared to Brawl.

Thanks for the feedback! I really like the return to a more cartoon-like style. As mentioned, Kirby surprisingly shows how much the color palette has changed. It's easy to see the changes with Mario and Pikachu as well. There are some style modifications such as Pit's exaggerated bow size and the general increase in visual feedback for attacks. However, I think Link is in a weird place. It's easy to see individual "pieces" of him that has improved. The hair and chainmail are dramatically enhanced, but the whole package seems really lacking to me for some reason. I think it's the color of his tunic in certain lighting conditions. Overall, though, I definitely like what I see more after further scrutiny.

Also, this is my first time using Minus. For some reason, Imgur kept rejecting my images. If you have an issue viewing my images, please let me know, and I'll try to find a way to fix it.

Hope Mario's eyes aren't always staring straight forward like that in the actual game, especially when they had him look around in Brawl.

Because it's so important to me

Hope Mario's eyes aren't always staring straight forward like that in the actual game, especially when they had him look around in Brawl.

Because it's so important to me

I know you're somewhat joking, but keep in mind that the screenshots are from the unfinished game. I'm sure Mario is going to move his eyes later on.

ugly

My biggest problem with Smash4 is the soft lighting. There is a lack of solid dark shadows and it holds the game back slightly from looking really impressive I think. Everything looks kind of waxy or something haha.

Its particularly noticeable here. Brawl Mario is aesthetically far more appealing to me despite being presented in a technically inferior way.

These are another two obvious culprits. The way the game looks currently does allow for some really nice looking shots like that Samus one, but with lighting that utilized more of the light/dark spectrum, we could have a very pretty game that looks really good all the time.

It does look nice right now, but I find myself reassuring myself "yea, it looks nice. it does see look at this technical detail" but the fact is the technical details really aren't a big deal especially on Nintendo consoles. The art style is almost there but it's just a little soft. It just needs a little more time in the oven...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I just noticed that the visual effect of Link's sword in this picture:

Is clearly from Skyward Sword.

But the pictures also show that this is definitely Twilight Princess Link too, as far as gear is concerned.

I'm so confused. :S

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Princess confirmed.

Nice job. That probably took a lot of work.

It's cool to see the little changes in style. Most recognizable in Mario and Samus.

It's not just the roundness, but the color and texture seems better, and look at the white in the eyes in comparison to Brawl's (very nice).

screen-2.jpg

You know, I've never actually noticed Kirby's eyes before. How are they supposed to work? Is he looking straight forward here? Where are his pupils?

But the pictures also show that this is definitely Twilight Princess Link too, as far as gear is concerned.

Mebe Skyward sword link and Tp link did a fusion dance and fused :p

Servbot24

Banned

Don't all characters make effects like that?

Kiryu

I believe that Skyward Sword slash effect should be on Twilight Princess Link because...

I believe we will have alt. costume of Skyward Sword Link. :O!

Alt costumes are a must. The only color swaps I liked in past games were Mario and Luigi's fire flower colors 'cause they weren't just random

But what alt costumes should characters get? Should we make a list?

ash_ag

All right, made another notice. His earring isn't blue like in SS/TP or red like in SS. Instead, it's white/clear. Well, guess what:

This is from the Wii U tech demo, obviously. Not a perfect shot, but you get the point.

ash_ag

That's an astute observation, but I think it appears blue in other shots.

Ah, indeed.
Oh well, I suppose this is further pushing it towards the TP Link considering
Fireshield Earrings
. It does have many Skyward Sword hints though, specifically as far as effects and artstyle are concerned.

I speculate that they chose TP Link due to the Boomerang situation. Link is a pretty standard character, and many wouldn't like to see his moveset changed. That said, an SS Link alt is a must. Red earrings, the respective gear from SS (but with the same effect as their TP counterparts), different pants (color and otherwise), slightly lighter tunic and darker eyes. And a custom Skyward Sword - inspired Boomerang, of course. :) Special taunts would be a sweet extra.

Ah, indeed.
Oh well, I suppose this is further pushing it towards the TP Link considering
Fireshield Earrings
. It does have many Skyward Sword hints though, specifically as far as effects and artstyle are concerned.

I speculate that they chose TP Link due to the Boomerang situation. Link is a pretty standard character, and many wouldn't like to see his moveset changed. That said, an SS Link alt is a must. Red earrings, the respective gear from SS (but with the same effect as their TP counterparts), different pants (color and otherwise), slightly lighter tunic and darker eyes. And a custom Skyward Sword - inspired Boomerang, of course. :) Special taunts would be a sweet extra.

It does seem that this Link takes a bit from both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword Links. I also hope for alternate costumes. That Hero of Time model hack in Super Smash Bros. Brawl was probably one of my favorites to use, so I'm hoping for a Hero of Time version myself. Special taunts would be nice for characters besides the usual Star Fox fighters. I actually hope they revamp Link's moveset, though. He desperately needs a buff.

Alt costumes are a must. The only color swaps I liked in past games were Mario and Luigi's fire flower colors 'cause they weren't just random

But a lot of the palette swaps weren't just random.
Many colors had a background, usually related to other characters of the series, or other alternative appearances of the respective characters. Even some of Mario's and Luigi's other palette swaps are.

demidar

So you think we'll get Skyward Sword Zelda, bangs and all? My only issue with that is I don't think she turns into Shiek in that game. Maybe instead she'll just switch places with Impa?

ash_ag

But a lot of the palette swaps weren't just random.
Many colors had a background, usually related to other characters of the series, or other alternative appearances of the respective characters. Even some of Mario's and Luigi's other palette swaps are.

There are five different kinds of alts:
  • Random costume, usually with a small reference to the game's universe. (Dark Zelda, Ness's Mr. Saturn t-shirt)
  • Reference to a different costume / suit the character has, but not quite it. (Samus's Fusion Suit).
  • Direct appearance of a different costume. (Wario's overalls, Mario's Fire Flower, Link's OoT Tunics)
  • Reference to a different character, but quite he/she. (Blood Falcon, Claus, Daisy, Waluigi)
  • Direct appearance of a different character. (?)

The fifth is arguable, since I'm not sure if any actually counts. Maybe Dark Link, having even different eyes?... Not sure. It just seems that the character in each slot is always the character it's supposed to be. If an actual costume works as an alt (like Fire Flower Mario), they put it. If it doesn't (due to different abilities, like Samus's ones), they simply refer to it through a recolor. Even with the Pokémon characters, things are pretty carefully handled. There's no shiny form that exactly appears (since it would imply a different character), and many alts are smart references to old sprites' colors, pre-evos / evos and other characters' costumes (Leaf's for Jigglypuff, Red's for Pikachu).

Sakurai is really careful with this stuff. I think it may be against his character design philosophy to use different character as alts, which is why I'm not betting too much on SS Link (although it would be nice, if properly handled).

So you think we'll get Skyward Sword Zelda, bangs and all? My only issue with that is I don't think she turns into Shiek in that game. Maybe instead she'll just switch places with Impa?
Na she has to match Link she will probably be more classic style.
I think Shiek stays, too popular imo.

Top Bottom