• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's my Fallout 3 teaser Bethesda?!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
tHoMNZ said:
:lol it's going to be dumbed down for consoles and the PC version will suffer

old.. this is getting old...

Although I'm apprehensive about Bethesda making Fallout 3 (i have yet to play a game of theirs that I enjoy) the concept art and now the teaser fills me with a sense of hope that maybe they can do something meaningful with the liscense even if it's not a direct sequel to Fallout 2

honestly, it seems kinda pathetic to keep holding onto the hope that they were going to make this a isometric turn based game...i mean even Black Isle wasn't going to make Fallout 3 an isometric turn based game (from what I played of Van Buren)...

Jenga

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
Although I'm apprehensive about Bethesda making Fallout 3 (i have yet to play a game of theirs that I enjoy) the concept art and now the teaser fills me with a sense of hope that maybe they can do something meaningful with the liscense even if it's not a direct sequel to Fallout 2

honestly, it seems kinda pathetic to keep holding onto the hope that they were going to make this a isometric turn based game...i mean even Black Isle wasn't going to make Fallout 3 an isometric turn based game...
Depends on how you look at it. I'm ****ing sick of FPS games.

Zenith

Banned
besada said:
Find me a game released as an AO title that sold the number of copies Bethsoft needs to sell.

Now you're trying to flip-flop out of your argument? That isn't what you said at all, you said that games don't sell jack BECAUSE they have AO ratings:

And it wouldn't have sold crap.

and you said that simply by producing an AO game Bethesda would have been sued into oblivion:

Seriously, Hot Coffee nearly crippled TakeTwo, and it was just people consensually ****ing. No children being murdered, no slavery, etc. Just ****ing. I think people who think Bethesda ought to be willing to destroy their company just to give you kicks are delusional.

I have no problem with those themes, but I can accept that no company owes me the destruction of their company to give me a game.

It's right there in black and white in your own words for everyone to read. You have not proved in the slightest that ANY game has sold badly because it was AO rated, and not because it was just a shit game. TT didn't even reduce sales projections when GTA was rerated, they just earmarked $40mn for the recall and reproduction of all game discs.

Oh, and I checked, the ignore function is working just fine. I guess you're just full of it. :lol Poser.

mcgarrett

Zenith said:
You have not proved in the slightest that ANY game has sold badly because it was AO rated, and not because it was just a shit game. T.
Sales would suffer because stores like Walmart won't stock AO titles.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
ninj4junpei said:
I've never played any of the Fallout games and now I'm a bit interested. Is it still possible to find it in stores?
You can probably find used Fallout Collection DVDs (1 + 2 + Tactics), but I'm not sure you could find it new, it was released in 2002 or something.

If everything else fails, there's still the interblag.
Jenga said:
Depends on how you look at it. I'm ****ing sick of FPS games.
Spayro said:
Awesome!
I would love it if it has a first person / third person view. no top down stuff.
Drop yourself in a vat of nuclear wastes.

Sallokin

Got my new issue of Game Informer in the mail today. It has a Fallout 3 cover story and some really nice screenshots. Man I can't wait for 08. First person and over the shoulder 3rd person camera angles confirmed though.

Sallokin said:
Got my new issue of Game Informer in the mail today. It has a Fallout 3 cover story and some really nice screenshots. Man I can't wait for 08. First person and over the shoulder 3rd person camera angles confirmed though.

yes damnit, but bethesda must get a grip of the third person view...oblivion is almost up with genji 2 for that....horse riding in third person = gameplay in and of itself

Sallokin

Prime crotch said:
What's in the article any new info?

The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

That's pretty much everything big from the article.

Sallokin said:
- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.
*uncontrollable giggling
Faith restored!

KTallguy

Banned
Sallokin said:
- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

Ok, I'm confused, do they give any more detail?
What do the action points actually do?

Sallokin said:
The article is based on an hour long demo GI was given. I'll list the high points

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older and take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

sounds great.

'sucked balls' is a rather mild summation of oblivion's third person view...another point is Im hoping the characters arent as drop dead ugly as in oblivion...for **** sake, they are the ugliest colllection of inbreds Ive ever seen

KTallguy said:
Ok, I'm confused, do they give any more detail?
What do the action points actually do?
From what he wrote seems certain actions are limited by action points, kinda like the Fallout 3 demo from Black Isle, it was real-time but all you did spent action points but it was all dynamic.

Sallokin

Prime crotch said:
From what he wrote seems certain actions are limited by action points, kinda like the Fallout 3 demo from Black Isle, it was real-time but all you did spent action points but it was all dynamic.

Yeah once you're in the V.A.T.S. system every combat move you make uses AP. The amount of AP is based on your agility rating. So things like targeting specific areas etc use AP. Also things like distance etc factor into your hit % while you're in the V.A.T.S. system.

At least that's how it reads.

Sallokin said:

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

I'm not entirely sold on the battle system yet, but everything else sounds good.

KTallguy

Banned
Sallokin said:
Yeah once you're in the V.A.T.S. system every combat move you make uses AP. The amount of AP is based on your agility rating. So things like targeting specific areas etc use AP. Also things like distance etc factor into your hit % while you're in the V.A.T.S. system.

At least that's how it reads.

But it's real time right? So if you point and shoot right at the guy, you have a chance to miss him ? When you pause and issue combat commands, does that take control away from the player while your avatar acts out the move?

So many questions...

Sallokin

duckroll said:
Yay! Thanks! Great info! High potential! Any pics?

Yeah the article is chock full of screens, but I can't post them =(

They have some really great environment shots, Some screens of the inside of Vault 101, and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called "The Fatman" which is a handheld nuclear catapult.

Think post apocalyptic oblivion and you're right about there in terms of graphics.

duckroll

Sallokin said:
Yeah the article is chock full of screens, but I can't post them =(

They have some really great environment shots, Some screens of the inside of Vault 101, and a really awesome shot of a first person encounter with a super mutant and another where the main character has a weapon called "The Fatman" which is a handheld nuclear catapult.

Think post apocalyptic oblivion and you're right about there in terms of graphics.

Hmmmmmm, any word on party members?

Sallokin

KTallguy said:
But it's real time right? So if you point and shoot right at the guy, you have a chance to miss him ? When you pause and issue combat commands, does that take control away from the player while your avatar acts out the move?

So many questions...

It seems that outside of the VATS system everything is real time. The only time the game pauses is when you enter the VATS system and start using AP and issuing commands. The article doesn't really say much more than that, but they do say that the game is geared more towards a role-playing turn based style as opposed to a twitch gaming style of play.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Sallokin said:

- Karma system returns

Sounds amazing. Need more info on the battle system tho

Sallokin

duckroll said:
Hmmmmmm, any word on party members?

It doesn't say anything specifically about party members, but there's a section that talks about how integral NPC's are to the game, and that a lot of the progress in the game will be made via quests.

EDIT. A little caption under a screen shot says you'll be able to hire henchmen to help you out but this is definitely not a party based game. Also Bethesda confirms that there'll be a dog in the game.

Chichikov

Any word on if it’s an xp based system or a "practice makes perfect"?
That is probably my biggest gripe with The Elder Scrolls series.

p.s.
action points?
Gore?
S.P.E.C.I.A.L?
**** yeah.

Sallokin

Redbeard said:
I don't suppose they mention whether or not the world levels up with you like oblivion?

As a matter of fact they do. The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.

Also, I just read a little caption.

Level cap is 20.

Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.

KTallguy

Banned
Sallokin said:
It seems that outside of the VATS system everything is real time. The only time the game pauses is when you enter the VATS system and start using AP and issuing commands. The article doesn't really say much more than that, but they do say that the game is geared more towards a role-playing turn based style as opposed to a twitch gaming style of play.

NO SHI- ... REALLY???

Wow, I may just have faith in this after all... if the combat is still turn based, then there's some hope.

Sallokin

Chichikov said:

p.s.
action points?
Gore?
S.P.E.C.I.A.L?
**** yeah.

It is XP based. Most of your XP comes from quests.

Redbeard

Banned
Sallokin said:
As a matter of fact they do. The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.

Also, I just read a little caption.

Level cap is 20.

Definite ending to the game, but there are 9 - 12 possible endings.

Ah, good.

Chichikov

Sallokin said:
It is XP based. Most of your XP comes from quests.
Sallokin said:
The game does not scale like oblivion, so if you enter a high level area expect to be promptly murdered.
This is shit awesome.
And people doubted Bethesda.

Also, I believe it deserve its own thread or at least a title change.

Huggy

Chichikov said:

Sounds to me they use the classic Fallout system.

You pick three skills that will increase double the rate, if you choose to allocate XP to them.

Chichikov

Dolphin said:
I love how fans praise game developers excessively for going with no-brainer decisions.
I guess you missed the hundreds of "ZOMG Oblivion with guns" threads.
I’m not saying these decisions guarantee it’s going to be a great game.
But they show that Bethesda respect their source material, which many doubted they will.

Sallokin

Metalmurphy said:
Bloody Mess perk confirmed! :D :D :D :D

But i'm confused oO, First Person game with Action Points?

It'll make sense when you see the screen shots included with the article. There's one that perfectly shows you how it's going to work.

Top Bottom