• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's fine if they reserve a lot at the beginning and then free up the ram they end up not needing towards the end of the generation. I think that's what they did with ps3

It still seems like a ton though. And probably bs anyway.

rdrr gnr

I was hoping they would allocate quite a lot of memory for the OS early on and chisel it down as the OS stabilized and was at feature parity with Xbone. Didn't think that number was going to be that large.

Acnologia

Banned
maybe Gaikai integration in the future will take up a chunk of the RAM, remember that thing suppose to stream PS1/PS2PS3 games

RealMeat

Banned
I find this hard to believe since they were planning on 4 GBs of RAM until late in development. Were they only going to leave 500 MBs for games?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Witness_Tweets_1.png

How is he using 5GB on PS4?

Must be using some of that flexible RAM? (lol wtf)

KAL2006

Banned
The reaction from gaf is really surprising (and slightly terrifying), I guess I'm in the minority that wanted the OS to have more memory.

This is hilarious. 1GB is enough for multitasking, quick resume and sleep, background downloading, cross chat and etc. What more do you want from a OS. I personally would prefer more ram for games, the main reason I bought a system for.

Yawnier

Banned
Well, none of the GAF insiders have come in here and said something in this thread yet. They must be all sleeping or something.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The article is done by the same guy, by the way, that immediately posted an article claiming the PS4 could only record 7 minutes of video when it was revealed that the XB1 only had 5 minutes of record time.

His source was a Develop conference. That was done weeks ago. And he decided that it was only news that very day. And was proven to be wrong.

I'm not saying this is false, but I am saying the person reporting it isn't the best when it comes to details.

Corto

[
so this guy is lying?

He didn't specify which version. And he said "our game wants to use 5 GB..." off course they will cut that in the optimization phase of development depending on the specific platforms constraints. So, no he wasn't lying. He was just illustrating why 8 GB wasn't that much of a deal.

Erasus

Can someone that is using a PC right now with a bunch of apps running and the OS state how much ram its using, total. For everything.

Im using 2.24gigs at work right now and thats with a fair bit of stuff running on it.

Windows 7 x64
Using 4.5GB

Chrome 3 windows - lotta tabs
Explorer folders
Windows Live Mail
Spotify
Word
3 Adobe Acrobat windows
Steam client

So does this ram effect how games are going to look? I'm curious because people are already talking about cancelling stuff when we don't have any games in hand to compare this to. Or are we making the mistake yet again to cast off consoles as inferior when they actually makes all other games exist and sometimes are better on these platforms?

The article is done by the same guy, by the way, that immediately posted an article claiming the PS4 could only record 7 minutes of video when it was revealed that the XB1 only had 5 minutes of record time.

His source was a Develop conference. That was done weeks ago. And he decided that it was only news that very day. And was proven to be wrong.

I'm not saying this is false, but I am saying the person reporting it isn't the best when it comes to details.
Hmmm interesting.

fearme

Neo Member
Xbox One is looking more attractive each day. Maybe I will import one, because in my country there's no release day yet.

Bundy

Banned
Yeah! f that shit! OS should only use 64MB of ram and let the developers have 7.9 GB of ram to lay with, who cares if the OS lags alot while your trying to multitask the same times as recording for 15 minutes!
Do you even understand how much 3.5GB GDDR5 actually is? For an OS?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I'm not picking sides here, but he could be talking about the PC build unless there's some other tweets I'm not seeing.

He is responding to PS4 questions, I remember reading this before.

And besides, no indie dev is going to build a game requiring 5GB's of RAM. PC's don't have fixed hardware, people still on 4GB's - OS.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Thanks for the reminder here Chubs people need to remember this. While waiting for an official statement that may or may not be coming.

Somebody wake up yosp, we need him more than ever!!1
I'll wait for some official statement, untill then I'll just sit back and enjoy the console wars.

diehard

Fleer
What was the point of spending all that extra money for all the RAM to be GDDR5? Complete waste to use that speed of RAM for the OS.

Kurdel

Banned
I trust that Eurogamer wouldn't go ahead with such a story without being certain.

Seeing how people are reacting in here is really sad.

There is no place for reasonable discourse when so many emotions are invested in RAM...

Yawnier

Banned

He is the "Blacksmith of the Future" though.

*Dead*

Top Bottom