• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

With the Wii's Shop Channel undergoing maintenance, a series of updates came up to accompany it. Most users will be able to make 2-3 updates with one of them bumping the firmware to 3.0. Here are the known changes so far:

Channels:
-Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
-Forecast Channel now displays the current condition (cloudy, raining, etc.) directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box
-News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button (supposedly this requires occasional downloading of the headlines to keep the ticker updated)
-Message Board now has the "Today's Accomplishments" message as a white message which allows it to stand out from other messages
-Address Book entries can now be shifted around using A+B (supposed to be a launch feature) but only to empty spaces. Not too convenient.
-Calendar in Message Board no longer shows "Today's Accomplishment" only days as having messages
-Scrolling messages in the Message Board now uses a different sound
-Today's Accomplishments in Message Boards now includes the names of people to whom messages were sent out

Wii Shop Channel Overhauled (Visual aesthetic is the same, changes made to organization and browsing methods mostly)
-New Welcome screen detailing 4 Recommended Titles and the points they cost (gone is the title screen bar that had linkable games). The title bar can be clicked on to bring up a list of 20 recommended games.
-Titles You've Downloaded was moved to the main shop menu
-New ways to browse
-Popular Titles (2 pages of 10 and includes launch games so not only based on recent info)
-Newest Additions remains the same
-Search for a title which can use partial names
-Search by Category
-System shows the different systems and how many titles have been released under each
-Publisher showing different publishers and amount of titles released (Nice logos!)
-Genre (different genres listed and amount of titles under each)

Accessibility
-Load times in interchannel loading has supposedly decreased (TheGreatDave)
-Password fields filled in using the keyboard (like on the Internet Channel) now display asterisks (VOOK)
USB Keyboard support has been added to both the Message Board and the Wii Shop Channel. It appears to work with both wireless and wired keyboards although not all USB models appear to be compatible. (Thanks MiketheBSG

Settings
-Warning added pre-system update detailing that technically modified consoles may cease to function upon being updated. Also the only way to not accept an update is to power down the console by holding the button for 4 seconds (the user can't back out of hitting I Accept w/o powering down)
-Ability to quickly scroll the different options pages using the +,- keys (Myke Greywolf)
-Blue disc light lights up when inserting or removing a game (thefro)
-Light also comes on when starting the Forecast or News Channels (CreatureX3)

gimz

-Digital Clock added to the Wii Menu right under the channel bar
-Forecast Channel now displays the current condition (cloudy, raining, etc.) directly in the Wii Menu in the Forecast Channel box

good

TJ Spyke

The updates are also superslow. I'm doing the first update, it's been more than 30 minutes and it's less than halfway done.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
The updates are also superslow. I'm doing the first update, it's been more than 30 minutes and it's less than halfway done.
Everyone else seems to reporting DL times of <5 minutes.

fernoca

JonathanEx said:
A clock is considered as a big update for Wii owners lololololol

actually pretty cool little extras
:lol :lol :lol

EDIT:
Just noticed that on the "saved channels area" there's one with static and a question mark that uses 7 Blocks..maybe that's the clock ...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone with AU/EU Wii's getting this yet? The 3.0U I assume means US only?

koam

These updates sound like they took a day to code max. They should have been there to begin with. Anyway, they're good small steps.

Next steps;
- SDHC support
- One channel per console support
- SOME KIND OF USB SUPPORT

BrandNew said:
Mine downloaded in a minute *shrugs*

Also, btw, the Shop channel is still down. Pretty sure Check Mii Out will be up soon.
Wii Shop channel wasn't down when Everybody Votes came out. But im not sure since I'm just guessing since noone complained back then.

ethelred

Unable to display 24hr. clock... failure. :/

DMczaf said:
Sweet, Wii Shop Channel is back up and it was redesigned.

Is it nice? That shop really needed a huge overhaul.

What I really need for them to do is to save name/billing info for point purchases.

Nice, you can watch movie preview of VC games directly from the Shop.

Edit: I was too fast, they only say to go see them on their web site from a PC or the Internet Channel. :\

New things:

- Search options, games can be searched by genre, publisher, names.
- Recommended games section.
- You can see witch games are the most popular.

VOOK said:
Anyone with AU/EU Wii's getting this yet? The 3.0U I assume means US only?
Why do I think NoE don't know of this update, will get in to their offices this morning and go "oh shit guys, there's a new Wii update to do..."

GrimReaper said:
Nice, you can watch movie preview of VC games directly from the Shop. :)
True? If true, demo channel of non-VC games please!

edit: How come my Wii doesn't flash when updates like these happen? Does it need to be on standby mode in order to flash?

Ristamar

TheGreatDave said:
The whole UI running a lot quicker. Going from Everybody Votes to the main menu is noticeably quicker.

Makes sense. Wasn't Iwata pushing for faster load/transition times?

koam

sp0rsk said:
I guess this was Reggie's surprise?

A digital clock is NOT a surprise
A cosmetic change is NOT a surprise
A firmware update is NOT a surprise
Thank you, Come again.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
koam said:
A digital clock is NOT a surprise
A cosmetic change is NOT a surprise
A firmware update is NOT a surprise
Thank you, Come again.

You weren't expecting it were you?

aeolist

Banned
They also added a disclaimer when you go to do a system update that says it could brick your console if you have an "unauthorized modification" in your Wii.

Was it there before? I can see the whole history of my purchase from the channel. (VC games, Wii Points (credit card/pre-paid cards), channels)

.dmc

Banned
Eh, I'd be excited if I hadn't just swapped my Wii for a friends PS2 so I can finally play Okami. I also vote for pics please. + clock! Finally!

aeolist said:
So is the gameplay video section somewhere in the Shop Channel now or is it something that's coming later?

You have to go to the site from either on your PC or on the Wii broswer. Not directly in the Shop channel.

Quite meaningless, really.

Bo130

GrimReaper said:
Was it there before? I can see the whole history of my purchase from the channel. (VC games, Wii Points (credit card/pre-paid cards), channels)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was.

Top Bottom