• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepsi & Chicken Lays weren't enough apparently - Pepsi flavored Cheetos out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
First we had Pepsi and chicken flavored Lays potato chips released in China.

Now, there are Pepsi flavored Cheetos out in Japan.

These Pepsi-flavored Cheetos are the latest food hybrid to spit in the eye of Mother Nature. They are from Japan.

The nosegrope upon opening the bag gave me pause. I immediately identified something very close to flat cola. Flat Pepsi? I dunno. My nose palate is not so refined. Something else was there in equal measure and it took me a moment to realize that the aroma was the same given off by powdered cinnamon donuts. You know, the Entenmann’s ones in the three pack with powdered sugar and plain.

In these snacks the cheese powder has been replaced with a cola powder that is disturbingly not brown. The first sensation, which I did not expect, was a very acidic bite. It’s very citrusy, almost sour. And it hits hard. It tries to capture the citrus notes of Pepsi, but it’s over the top. Too lemony. The sweeter cola flavor is there but it’s subtler and overpowered by the intense citrus. The flavors are very distinct and don’t really ever mesh well together. But they do linger in the mouth for quite a while to leave you with a weird, marginally accurate, if lemony, Pepsi aftertaste. The corn puff tastes like it should. It doesn’t do a lot besides acting as a vehicle, which is good because there is already a lot going on.

Oh, did I mention these also fizz a little?! Yea! Not like crazy Pop Rocks fizzing, but there is some definite popping and crackling. It’s all about attention to detail, guys. I tip my hat to Frito-Lay for that one.

Overall, this is a pretty accurate flavor recreation. It’s an impressive effort to be sure.
That said, I don’t like them. I could only get through a few of them. They’ve got a lot going on and are kind of intense. A few tweaks to the levels of citrus and cola and these could be passable.

These wouldn’t be in my top 100 dream flavor what-ifs, but I’m glad they exist. They either point to a futuristic flavor-fusion utopia in which anything is possible or an apocalyptic hell place where cyborg velociraptors chew our faces off with laser teeth.

(Nutrition Facts – 1 package – 414 kcal, 24.8 grams of fat, 614 milligrams of sodium, 44.6 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of protein.)

RUzInBm.jpg
hrevXAM.jpg

6n8bJeH.jpg
QyiHDcX.jpg

temp

posting on contract only
Just pour Pepsi on Cheetos and eat it like a bowl of cereal like a normal person.

big_z

Didn't they talk about these on the 8-4 play podcast a few episodes ago. One or two of them liked it the others not so much. Apparently doesnt taste like pepsi.

soultron

Banned
Nothing wrong with those! The Maple ones on the other hand.. I'd rather try these Pepsi chips

Just tried those today. They smell and taste like baked beans. Strangely on-point considering baked beans come in maple-flavoured variants.

Didn't enjoy them at all.

The "perogy platter" ones weren't much better.

I wish Canada would get the Sriracha Lay's already. :c

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm going to Japan in a week and can't wait to try all the native foods: McD's Teriyaki Burger, Matcha Kit-Kat, and now Pepsi-flavored Doritos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom