• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games for Windows Live shutting down July 1, 2014.

Apparently, Dark Souls:ptD for PC will be patched to replace GFWL with Steamworks before the shutdown in 2014:

BSFDuhQCQAA8smK.png

Source:

https://twitter.com/VaatiVidya/status/369651110891372544

wow very nice of them,i'm happy for those that have the game.

Valnen

Unless Namco pulls a Bioshock 2/Batman:AA/AC and completely rips out GFWL, then yes.

Has it even been patched out of Batman and Bioshock yet? I know all the evidence suggests it's going to be but has it actually been done yet? I don't trust shit until it'd over and done with right now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hold on, what about Batman, GTA 4 (don't judge me) and Bioshock 2?
Steam just updated my Bioshock 2 today, not sure if...?

GTA4 isn't updated. Batman and Bioshock are planned to move to Steamworks.

Grief.exe

Unless they deleted it, its fake

Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it down. Microsoft was obviously in damage control today, they already removed one announcement off their own website.

Hold on, what about Batman, GTA 4 (don't judge me) and Bioshock 2?
Steam just updated my Bioshock 2 today, not sure if...?

Has it even been patched out of Batman and Bioshock yet? I know all the evidence suggests it's going to be but has it actually been done yet? I don't trust shit until it'd over and done with right now.

GFWL hasn't been removed yet, Bioshock 2 was updated today but it was just Direct X and redist updates.

CTLance

Well, I bought my Dawn of War 2 games fully knowing this would happen eventually, but seeing it go down for real actually hurts. I never played the DoW2 multiplayer game modes, but having them vanish into thin air like that is painful.

Ladies and gentlemen, the shadowy underparts of the all-digital future. Anything that does not come with server binaries or even better server sources will eventually join the GFWL games at some point in time. That includes steamworks and server-centric games like MWO or LOL.

Oh well. Good riddance. GFWL is/was a blight. Great to see it go out with a whimper. Wonder what MS is cooking up as replacement. W8 store bought exclusive APIs again?

Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it down. Microsoft was obviously in damage control today, they already removed one announcement off their own website.

GFWL hasn't been removed yet, Bioshock 2 was updated today but it was just Direct X and redist updates.

Did the registry also remove things like securom and machine limits for the batmans and bishock 2?

S0N0S

It's not fake, simply removed. I wonder how long it was up to get nearly 600 likes and 50 comments.

Yup, removed thanks MS ambivalence.

Truespeed

And so another miserable disaster gets put out of its misery. How many Microsoft Windows gaming initiative failures have there been so far? Of course, it would probably help if they didn't keep sabotaging their own OS every so often. Hopefully, they've realized they'll never compete with Steam or Origin so its probably best to leave it to those two.

kuYuri

If these announcements are getting removed even now, that might explain why MS has been cagey about announcing Halo Trilogy for Steam.

legacyzero

Banned
But why would MS remove that from their page, and even funnier is, Why would FROM delete that Facebook post??

Gotta be some strange, upcoming announcement?

Grief.exe

Don't get too excited about that Dark Souls news

It looks like the original image was pulled from a reddit post, I doubt its legitimacy at this point.

Vaati got excited and jumped the gun.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kpbq7/dark_souls_likely_moving_to_steamworks/

Did the registry also remove things like securom and machine limits for the batmans and bishock 2?

The pieces are in place for Securom removal in the Arkham City app, that is it so far.

Overdoziz

Banned
Dare to dream..
I definitely see it as a possibility at this point. Frankie outright denied it when the Steam entries leaked, but since then he has been awfully quiet about it. During that time we went from Halo 2 shutting down in June(?), to it shutting down in July to no update on the server situation until early 2014. Why would they delay something like shutting down servers? Or at least why do so if you're only delaying it for a month or only half a year? That wouldn't make much sense if you ask me. Maybe plans have changed since Frankie denied that they (MS) were working on Halo for Steam. Half a year seems like a fair amount of time to get that done.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But why would MS remove that from their page, and even funnier is, Why would FROM delete that Facebook post??

Because MS isn't ready to announce it yet. Why do that when the bad news of digital purchases on their (soon-to-be-dead) service is going to be gone this week is already out there. Might as well get a few suckers before then and then "ah, shit the online is dead in a year" it.

They don't want that shit public for now.

There's ZERO percent chance this is fake.

We've seen 100% of all the Steam game leaks come true.
We've watched games added to Steam slowly remove all GFWL DRM.
We've seen MULTIPLE developers now acknowledge the July 1st, 2014 date.
We've read about the marketplace being shut down in a matter of days.
We've seen every major developer (Capcom) say NO upcoming titles are using GFWL.

This isn't going to be an updated API or Xbox for Windows 2.0.

This is how it dies.

Syf

Banned
I definitely see it as a possibility at this point. Frankie outright denied it when the Steam entries leaked, but since then he has been awfully quiet about it. During that some time we went from Halo 2 shutting down in June(?), to it shutting down in July to no update on the server situation until early 2014. Why would they delay something like shutting down servers? Or at least why do so if you're only delaying it for a moth or only half a year? That wouldn't make much sense if you ask me. Maybe plans have changed since Frankie denied that they (MS) were working on Halo for Steam. Half a year seems like a fair amount of time to get that done.
I hope you're right! The Halo games on Steam would be instant buys for myself and, I'm sure, many others.

Tankanko

Banned
At least it would be better than if apple made something. "Games for Apple Live" $500 to open your game the first time and $600 repair fees for when the game doesn't boot up properly the first time.

Now, with that stupidity aside, what was the actual point of GFWL? Did it have an actual function besides verification, and doesn't steam do that already?

Cipherr

This.

God I remember when this rebrand or relaunch into GFWL started and we were telling people to stay the hell away from it. Got into many heated discussions with people who swore up and down that it was going to be different this time and that all would be well.

Not only was GFWL a hot mess and a chore to use/deal with at times, now the inevitable happens and people unfortunate enough to have bought stuff there are wondering what the hells going to happen.

Gamers really did themselves a solid when they revolted with the XBone stuff.

SimonM7

Its because whoever faked it took the top post on the facebook page right now.

4igRCim.png

The number of likes and shares and the 'shared a link' all match up.

Right. I mean it's not even a legit looking "status update" to begin with. Power of wanting to believe, I suppose.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fuck it.

I ordered the PS3 version of Dark Souls from Amazon for 14.98 just in case. I would rather play it on the far superior PS3 version with Durante's awesome work and mods but if I can't play it on PC I certainly don't want to miss out on it if I can't finish it by next year.

Top Bottom