• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Killthee
helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
(08-21-2013, 08:37 AM)
Just noticed the blurb that appears when he tabs over messages mentions voice messages:

Last edited by Killthee; 08-21-2013 at 08:58 AM.
SixFourMike
(08-21-2013, 08:37 AM)
I don't care what it looks like as long as it is fast. I want to be able to fire off button inputs from memory and not even wait for the UI to respond visually before it starts doing what I want. If I'm waiting for the UI to catch up, I'm not going to be impressed.
Luthos
(08-21-2013, 08:40 AM)

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Very nice. He jumped from OS to MP game in 6 seconds without any logos or stuff that would slow us down.

I let out an audible "holy shit" when that happened. Very impressive.

And yeah, the UI looks pretty nice from what I can see.
shiftplusone
(08-21-2013, 08:40 AM)

Originally Posted by xxracerxx

They fixed the transparencies, which helps the gradient effect. Not sure how you are saying they are worse.

What am I looking at here?

EDIT: Oh, that the clock is not there!

For those of you who just HAVE to have a clock they make a device for that, its called a clock

UI looks fantastic

one of my favorite XMB features is the "this game isnt loaded but heres a little clip, a big wallpaper, and maybe a song/some audio from the game"

really made the ps3 ui stand out over the 360's old spice ads
Yoday
(08-21-2013, 08:43 AM)
I still haven't seen any kind of games library in the UI. If all of the games and apps that you own end up on that one screen, then what happens when you have tons of games? I am going to be seriously pissed off if we still don't get a simple games library where we can manage our games, downloaded or not. We better as hell not have to clutter a single screen with hundreds of games and apps, and have to deal with an awful download list to re-download games that we have uninstalled.
Nozem
(08-21-2013, 08:44 AM)

Originally Posted by ThoughtsOfSpeaking

If you watch tge vid again, this image was 662kb. Im sure there will be settings for images based on size and quality.

That's reassuring. The image on twitter is only 135kb, so 1080p sharing seems likely. Still, 662kb for a 1080p screenshot is a bit on the low side.
Rice-Eater
(08-21-2013, 08:44 AM)
Would you have to be on the persons friends list to join their game or as long as the room is open anybody who decides to view the stream can immediately jump in? Just wondering because that could get annoying if you were waiting for a friend and randoms filled up the remaining slots.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(08-21-2013, 08:45 AM)
From what I can see this would be even better for themes because the icons are at the bottom and full contents of each icon does not show up until you choose a particular icon.
Killthee
(08-21-2013, 08:51 AM)

Originally Posted by ThoughtsOfSpeaking

If you watch tge vid again, this image was 662kb. Im sure there will be settings for images based on size and quality.

That might be why the options icon appears in the Share menu UI.

Originally Posted by Yoday

I still haven't seen any kind of games library in the UI. If all of the games and apps that you own end up on that one screen, then what happens when you have tons of games? I am going to be seriously pissed off if we still don't get a simple games library where we can manage our games, downloaded or not. We better as hell not have to clutter a single screen with hundreds of games and apps, and have to deal with an awful download list to re-download games that we have uninstalled.

This was posted in another thread:

Originally Posted by danhese007

This is the main UI which shows your most recently played games, the games library UI is different from this.

Originally Posted by danhese007

They showed it at Develope behind closed doors developers session.

My guess would be the library view falls under the store icon in the top bar.
Hasney
(08-21-2013, 08:53 AM)
Still not a fan of the look of the XMB, but it looks fast which is the priority, so I'm happy enough with it.
Ovek
(08-21-2013, 08:56 AM)
Can we please have this on the Vita? The current interface on it is just stupid and looks bloody awful... Who thought bubbles were a good idea? Someone at Sony was harnessing there inner Nintendo when they designed it.
Ovek
(08-21-2013, 08:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Killthee

Just noticed the blurb that appears when he tabs over messages mentions voice messages:

Ahh can't wait for the 14 year old hate voice mail.
Killthee
(08-21-2013, 08:58 AM)

Originally Posted by Rice-Eater

Would you have to be on the persons friends list to join their game or as long as the room is open anybody who decides to view the stream can immediately jump in? Just wondering because that could get annoying if you were waiting for a friend and randoms filled up the remaining slots.

FWIW, the E3 video had a blurb that said "Open Session" under Party Status. You can probably toggle it to private if you don't want randoms taking up slots.

Zombie James
(08-21-2013, 08:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Ovek

Can we please have this on the Vita? The current interface on it is just stupid and looks bloody awful... Who thought bubbles were a good idea? Someone at Sony was harnessing there inner Nintendo when they designed it.

Completely agree, the UI is one of the worst things about the Vita. I get that they wanted a touch-focused UI but they could have done it better than that. A refresh to bring it in line with the PS4 would be awesome.
zoukka
(08-21-2013, 09:01 AM)
Heh when Yoshida joins the KZ match, for a moment the game looks like it runs super smooth...
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(08-21-2013, 09:02 AM)
So will matchmaking be handled in the UI instead of in each individual game? Or is this only for private party matches?
bigboss370
(08-21-2013, 09:12 AM)

Originally Posted by famousmortimer

This is my favorite picture. :D

holy shit you are famous! :P
Earthpainting
Knows which side
the bread is buttered on.
(08-21-2013, 09:18 AM)

Anybody else notice that the PS3 battery/clock bug has been raised from its grave?

Here it is in a crappy gif:

Crap meant to edit, not repost....

Absolutely amazing. It's nice of them to keep the spice in the future firmware threads.
megaspiderweb
Banned
(08-21-2013, 09:21 AM)
I never understood the whole dislike for the XMB, it did everything i wanted from it and its simplicity was much better for me in comparison to the cluttered Xbox UI, i do not know how i feel about this new UI, looks too much like Windows 8. I prefered the simplicity of the previous one
Liabe Brave
(08-21-2013, 09:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

So will matchmaking be handled in the UI instead of in each individual game? Or is this only for private party matches?

There's no matchmaking here, he joined a specific game he was spectating.
DieH@rd
(08-21-2013, 09:47 AM)

Originally Posted by pharmboy044

Two questions:

So there is no PS+ icon next to your avatar to show everyone that you're part of the master race?

Also, is Twitch not at OS level for spectating? Is it just Ustream?

Twich press release from yesterday mentioned that users will be able just to press Share button and broadcast their games. Its OS level service it seems.

[oh and Twich does not require PS+ on PS4, but it requires Gold for Xbone]
jaosobno
(08-21-2013, 10:05 AM)
Absolutely loving the OS. It's slick, responsive and that 6 second jump into a live Killzone match left me breathless.

Amazing job, Sony.
magawolaz
(08-21-2013, 10:20 AM)
Made a very bland wallpaper of Yosp lol

Billen
Banned
(08-21-2013, 10:24 AM)
I watched it minimized due to technical problems I had when viewing on the TV, and didn't maximize until later due to this so I had completely missed the fact that it was a stream of a game which he later joined. Holy shit that is snappy.
Darien
(08-21-2013, 10:27 AM)

FWIW, the E3 video had a blurb that said "Open Session" under Party Status. You can probably toggle it to private if you don't want randoms taking up slots.

LoL. Session master not available error is coming back for KZSF?
driver116
(08-21-2013, 10:28 AM)

Originally Posted by fallagin

It's genuinely hilarious how he's just walking around in the midst of like 6 enemies with no problems. I wonder how they coordinated that.

He was probably invisible or invincible to everyone else.
educator
(08-21-2013, 10:35 AM)
Any word on wether PS Store will function like an app or be integrated with the OS?
driver116
(08-21-2013, 10:36 AM)

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Very nice. He jumped from OS to MP game in 6 seconds without any logos or stuff that would slow us down.

Dat GDRR5!
Erasus
(08-21-2013, 10:38 AM)
Im really liking the OS!
Ghost
Chili Con Carnage!
(08-21-2013, 11:01 AM)
The job they've done on this is sooooo much better than the Vita, or any UI I've ever seen from Sony before, it's really impressive, great combination of being more visually engaging while still appearing simple and straight forward.

I really hope the 6 seconds to game thing is at least nearly what we'll see in real life, that's the kind of thing that gets me excited to get a next gen console, I'm up for the 'same old games' if I'm doing a lot more playing and a lot less waiting around in lobbies.
bud
Banned
(08-21-2013, 11:10 AM)

Originally Posted by chubigans

how can he be so cute?
Nozem
(08-21-2013, 11:13 AM)

Originally Posted by Ghost

I really hope the 6 seconds to game thing is at least nearly what we'll see in real life, that's the kind of thing that gets me excited to get a next gen console, I'm up for the 'same old games' if I'm doing a lot more playing and a lot less waiting around in lobbies.

I am really sceptical of that. Maybe if the PS4 had an SSD drive, but even then 6 seconds seems too good to be true.
Maastricht
(08-21-2013, 11:16 AM)
I'm thinking they probably had Killzone already booted but suspended? That way they could load the map really fast.

Otherwise, I would have definitely expected load-times to be a little longer. Even if the harddrive was a good performer (say about 100MB/s), then loading 3GB still takes 30 seconds.
Hasney
(08-21-2013, 11:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Nozem

I am really sceptical of that. Maybe if the PS4 had an SSD drive, but even then 6 seconds seems too good to be true.

I'm thinking there might be some prefetch at boot, like it loads part of your last played game into RAM or something at start-up to make it that quick, or starts loading it once you're hovering over it or something like that. modern OS's have used prefetch quite well, so it's not a stretch to imagine it being used on PS4.
Thoraxes
(08-21-2013, 11:17 AM)
Looked great, now all they need to do is fix the lag loading between screens like they just did with the Vita OS, and it's perfect.
Nozem
(08-21-2013, 11:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Maastricht

I'm thinking they probably had Killzone already booted but suspended? That way they could load the map really fast.

This is my guess as well. It's the only way it makes sense.
velociraptor
(08-21-2013, 11:22 AM)

Originally Posted by zoukka

Heh when Yoshida joins the KZ match, for a moment the game looks like it runs super smooth...

Unlocked framerate.
user1337
(08-21-2013, 11:24 AM)
Looks clean.... I LIKE!

Originally Posted by Blackthorn

"No one shoot Shu, NO ONE SHOOT SHU!"

Its true! If I stood there for a few seconds not moving to deploy my shield...I'd be dead..
Nozem
(08-21-2013, 11:24 AM)

Originally Posted by velociraptor

Unlocked framerate.

Why the fuck is an 'unlock framerate' option not standard in console games? I absolutely loved it in Bioshock on the 360.
Creaking
(08-21-2013, 11:30 AM)

Originally Posted by bud

how can he be so cute?

My Little Shuhei Can't Be This Cute

DodgerSan
(08-21-2013, 11:35 AM)

Originally Posted by chubigans

I don't have to squint to see the postage stamp sized screen anymore!

This is my biggest issue with things like this and E3. They go to the trouble and expense of live streaming the thing, then whenever
a game's shown they spend the time showing sweeping vistas of blackness in the venue.

Friggin numpties, drives me up the wall.
Last edited by DodgerSan; 08-21-2013 at 11:38 AM.
kvn
(08-21-2013, 12:14 PM)
Love it. It's basically XMB evolved. That's everything I wanted. The transition sounds are also cool.
Carl
(08-21-2013, 12:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Creaking

My Little Shuhei Can't Be This Cute

Oh gawd. Nightmares
zoukka
(08-21-2013, 01:56 PM)

Originally Posted by velociraptor

Unlocked framerate.

You can taste the dream for a few seconds :b

(and I hate unlocked framerates blagh)
BadWolf
(08-21-2013, 02:02 PM)
Really like the fact that they built it on top of the XMB instead of just throwing it out, so its familiar yet new.

Great UI.
a secret-boss
(08-21-2013, 02:04 PM)
saw the actual conference feed. wow they drop the ball on this part. stupid camera angle. wat were they thinking
Parsnip
(08-21-2013, 02:51 PM)
It's better than XMB for the sole reason that there's no dumb Singstar ad there.
Yet.
Last edited by Parsnip; 08-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.
AngelsDontBurn
Banned
(08-21-2013, 02:55 PM)
Looks so much better than PS3's interface.
Jonboy
(08-21-2013, 03:10 PM)
So happy the XMB is back.
Jonboy
(08-21-2013, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by SMZC

It definitely seemed like 60fps to me too. We need confirmation on this.

Would be amazing if true.