• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

150Mhz CPU boost on XBO, now in production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overclocking the CPU at the last minute without testing stability before producing tens of thousands of units sounds like a good idea.

For all we know they've been testing it for a while... MS learned their lesson very hard this gen with the RROD. I don't think it will happen again.

After all, that's why the X1 is quite large. It has a really beefy cooling system that's also whisper quiet. That's why they were able to increase the GPU clock speed, and they apparently also felt confident in increasing the CPU clock speed now too.

Great news for my preorder. Nothing bad about getting a slightly better system!

Amir0x

Banned
The increase in performance out of this is pretty much irrelevant. Around 10 Gigaflops for a system with a cumulative floating point calculation speed of 1400 Gigaflops.
The upgrade on the GPU was bigger news.
The real news is that they're just going now in production while Sony stated at Gamescom their manufacturing plants were already pumping out PS4s at full speed.
That also explains the lack of a release date, people should be prepared to shortages.

*re-reads article*

This shit is so confusing

I thought Major Nelson had an unboxing like a month ago of the first official production Xbox One unit? Or was that just fake too?

I don't what to believe anymore Elios lol

meppi

Certainly didn't expect that at this point, far from it.
But it's certainly good news. The closer both systems are to each other, the less likely it'll be that a multiplatform game on one would hold the other back.

Brashnir

Overclocking the CPU at the last minute without testing stability before producing tens of thousands of units sounds like a good idea.

Yeah, there's no chance they had been doing their stress testing at this clock rate with the knowledge that they could fall back to the known-safe 1.6 if they ran into issues.

The stealth trolling by all the usual suspects in this thread is pretty pathetic.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
some talk in there about profitability being important. I wonder if they're taking the Nintendo route and selling at a profit from the beginning.

Sony and Microsoft both got annihilated last gen at launch. Too much risk if something goes very wrong. (GPU yield for MS, diode and CPU yield for Sony)

artist

Banned
*re-reads article*

I thought Major Nelson had an unboxing like a month ago of the first official production Xbox One unit? Or was that just fake too?

As per Major Nelson Xbone got FCC approval BEFORE PS4, so it's ahead. That's all you need to know.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
*re-reads article*

Probably a test unit in prototype packaging that he unboxed. DemonNite said they have test PS4s in the office and they look identical to what the retail units will be, they're just first run consoles to test production.

Vashetti

Banned
logo_tesco_ELH-300x148.jpg

iMax

*re-reads article*

Surely they could have made this upgrade months ago but have only decided to announce it now?

Stike

Overclock isn't exactly the right word and it's why a lot of people have heating concerns. It's an upclock from what it was previously but it's not over 2GHz so it's not overclocked yet.

Oh, so you say this CPU is downclocked to 1.6 (and now 1.75) when it originally runs at 2 GHz? The CPU had been downclocked to lower heat emission?

ITT: "Guys, I'm genuinely honestly seriously truthfully worried about this, why would they make such haphazard changes so late in the game? This does not bode well for [Microsoft_Topic] at all."

Isn't this what the original 360 did with stuff being tweaked all the way to launch causing that Red Ring fiasco? Oh well, doesn't matter. The masses will eat this shit up and ask for more failure prone systems.

For all we know they've been testing it for a while... MS learned their lesson very hard this gen with the RROD. I don't think it will happen again.

Yeah right. Microsoft didn't learn shit after how shitty those original Xbox drives were. I beat Camila and The Rose because I had to spank the original Xbox every time to get the damn disc out. Fucking Thomson drives.

*re-reads article*

You can increase clock speeds with software (like how it's done on PC).

Are they starting production now? Sounds late. I guess there is a high risk of shortages at launch.

Still, very good to hear about the spec bump. Even if it is not much, the XBO sucking a bit less increases the baseline for multiplat games on PS4 as well :)

Klocker

*re-reads article*

albert said retail and dev kits boxes are essentially the same but that none were at Retail final specs yet

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Isn't this what the original 360 did with stuff being tweaked all the way to launch causing that Red Ring fiasco? Oh well, doesn't matter. The masses will eat this shit up and ask for more failure prone systems.

Except they downgraded.

This shows that they are not running into the same issues.

GodofWine

So having DR3 TARGETING 30fps locked was an eye opener?? or a 2.5d fighter unable to go over 720p?

or maybe it will help kinect speak scottish :)

Seriously, good for them, and I hope this urges sony to push their speeds up (it was rumored wasnt it?) since these consoles are such low power users.

Would be cool to have dynamic boost, where only certain games contain the upclock code and less power hungry titles and normal system apps could go back to the lower settings.

Are they starting production now? Sounds late. I guess there is a high risk of shortages at launch.

Still, very good to hear about the spec bump. Even if it is not much, the XBO sucking a bit less increases the baseline for multiplat games on PS4 as well :)

Sony already started production ages ago. Microsoft is late. i guess they were too busy bragging about passing FCC first.

USC-fan

Banned
So funny. Everytime we have an upgrade rumor is always wrong. So much for 1.9ghz.

Killing one dream at a time.

But anyway good news for bump in speed.

Sweep14

Hey what if Sony finally came with a 900 Mhz GPU and 1.8 GHZ CPU ? they remained strangely silent during the past few weeks from hardware perspective.

FINALBOSS

Banned
This is extremely miniscule for anyone wondering.

We also still don't have final CPU/GPU numbers for PS4 so Sony might have upped something a little bit too to make it a nice even 2TFlops.

Also pretty hilarious compared to that other dude people were reporting on about 1.9ghz CPU.

ShapeGSX

Overclock/underclock: you guys are too consumer oriented.

They're not overclocking or underclocking anything. They're just setting the frequency of their product. If parts come out of the factory that don't meet this frequency after testing, they will discard them. So there's no under or over. It is what the system is specced to run at.

And you can bet that they had the thermal headroom to do this. That heatsink is massive, as is the fan.

Albert Penello ‏@albertpenello 8m
1.75 > 1.6. http://www.geekwire.com/2013/xbox-update-console-full-production-improved-cpu-performance/ …

Albert taking shots.

C'mon seriously? That was not a shot - only you guys would think that. I was in a meeting on my phone, shot out a quick tweet. Srsly.

Sony haven't announced the CPU speed, as people have noted. Plus - when I take a pot-shot at the competition I'm gonna be way more obvious than that. I'm not a fan of the passive-aggressive.

As I'm sure you've figured out - you don't announce something like this at the same time you're working on it. Obviously this has been in the works, but now that we're in full production we felt OK about announcing it.

Devs should start seeing this soon - so any performance gains were happening on the 1.6 boxes. (everything at PAX was on the 1.6). This is a boost to developers on top of the optimizations going on.

Lastly - can I PLEASE finally get you over this "we're having production issues" thing that's going around? We increased the GPU 6%. We increased the CPU almost 10%. We have been showing retail boxes. We are now in full production.

If at this point these facts don't outweigh random rumors...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh, so you say this CPU is downclocked to 1.6 (and now 1.75) when it originally runs at 2 GHz? The CPU had been downclocked to lower heat emission?

It was set at 1.6 to guarantee very low power consumption and heat output but 2GHz is the typical clock speed of a jaguar core on standard cooling.

Just a remaider, a little hot piece of lava is also on that silicon (eSRAM)

I did forget about that but I doubt a small boost to a jaguar CPU is much of a change in heat output at all.

Enectic

Banned
So funny. Everytime we have an upgrade rumor is always wrong. So much for 1.9ghz.

Killing one dream at a time.

But anyway good news for bump in speed.

Or you could go the other way and...

"Everytime we have a downgrade rumor is always wrong. So much for downclock.

Killing one (fanboy) dream at a time."

Elios83

As per Major Nelson Xbone got FCC approval BEFORE PS4, so it's ahead. That's all you need to know.

How can it be ahead if they've just finished tweaking and testing the hardware for final clock speeds? :p Behind a decision to change clock speeds there are tons of stress tests on prototype units.
What they sent to FCC back in June (or whenever they sent it) isn't even the final thing and should be revised.
Don't be fooled by PR ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom