• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Interview with Asano on Bravely Default: For The Sequel (Translated)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sorry if old.

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/60871066095/famitsu-com-interview-with-tomoya-asano-9-9-13

Points of interest:

-New Story events flesh out characters that lacked screentime
-Battles are 4 times as fast due to auto-battle and memorized battle inputs/strategies
-You can set encounter rate to 0. You can also increase it if you want to farm in a specific area.
-In this version as opposed to an average of 70 hours you can complete this game at a minimum of 30 hours.
-Out of 100 improvements only 80 were implemented.
-Asano wants to release a product relating to Bravely Default every year.
-Story has slight alterations to align with the actual Sequel
-Sequel will take place in Luxendarc(that's the landmass BDFF takes place in)
-New Promo trailer for "For The Sequel" at TGS
-Revo will have a new song composed for "For The Sequel". Will premiere at TGS.

Great interview.

Kouriozan

Good stuff, can't wait to get it.
So hyped, nice news about something related to it every year!
iOS games incoming :lol

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
you can control the encounter rate??

woa, I was always kind of interested in this game.
That alone, considering it's a portable game, now makes it a guaranteed purchase!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So
Bravely Default 2: Falling Feelings - 2014
Bravely Default 2: For the Trilogy - 2015

wrowa

I really hope NoE will show an English trailer (and a release date) soon. I want this game finally in my hands...

Dascu

" -You can set encounter rate to 0. You can also increase it if you want to farm in a specific area."

Yessss.

Soriku

— So the new systems of the next title are included in this game but there were some monochrome screen shots you released. Are those pictures related to the new systems of the next game?

Asano: That’s correct. I can’t give any specific details right now so please hold on just a little bit longer. What I can say right now is the eye-catching new features have something to do with the battle system.

— Is there going to be a big change to the play feel like there was with braving and defaulting?

Asano: No, it’s not as large of a change as that. However, it is similar in scale to the braving and defaulting elements. I’m really looking forward to seeing in what ways players are going to enjoy this new system.

Interesting.

Gambit

you can control the encounter rate??

This sounds like a fantastic feature that in the future we won't want to live without anymore.

Like New Game+ or Xenoblade's automatically fulfilled quests without going back to the quest-giver. Can't go back to old fetch quests.

So does that mean I can drop the encounter rate of an annoyibg area to 0 and then increase it on an area that is more manageable? Or do you need to do this when you start the game? It sounds like the former, but you never know. Can't wait for it either way.

faridmon

Wow, an encounter rate selector.
That might be the one features that might save JRPGs and revive it from ashes. Don't have time? just play it, however you want

Soriku

This sounds like a fantastic feature that in the future we won't want to live without anymore.

Like New Game+ or Xenoblade's automatically fulfilled quests without going back to the quest-giver. Can't go back to old fetch quests.

You have to go back to the quest giver for like half the quests in Xenoblade lol.

So does that mean I can drop the encounter rate of an annoyibg area to 0 and then increase it on an area that is more manageable? Or do you need to do this when you start the game? It sounds like the former, but you never know. Can't wait for it either way.

Asano: Another improvement for this game is the ability to change your encounter rate. This is an important point and when you think like “I just don’t wanna do any random battles now” you can set the encounter rate to zero. When you think “I’m gonna level up here” you can then instead make the encounter rate high. You’re able to do that in this game. Players are able to match the game up with their play style and play. That’s really convenient.

Oh, so you can control when you do it. That's pretty awesome. In a way, it sounds like Pokemon's Repel. I bet quite a number of people are going to abuse this feature.

Oregano

I've been wondering whether there would be licensing issues for the music in the localised version, hopefully not.

Encounter rate control is a great feature. That's something I'd like to see in all games, like TWEWY's complete difficulty/level control.

The BD team continues to surprise me with how much they've been listening to fan suggestion/criticism.

So glad this is becoming its own thing.

Glass Rebel

I wonder if you can turn off auto-save. Maybe I'll need it but I'd still like to try.

I also don't know how to feel about the changes to the main-scenario. They took some of the quests and made them optional? Not like I can compare it to the original though...

Aeana

I wonder if you can turn off auto-save. Maybe I'll need it but I'd still like to try.

I also don't know how to feel about the changes to the main-scenario. They took some of the quests and made them optional? Not like I can compare it to the original though...
In the original game, some parts are really long and one chapter in particular is basically all sidequests which is kinda boring. I was hoping they'd speed up some of the stuff rather than just making it optional, since I stlil want to do the stuff.

Glass Rebel

In the original game, some parts are really long and one chapter in particular is basically all sidequests which is kinda boring. I was hoping they'd speed up some of the stuff rather than just making it optional, since I stlil want to do the stuff.

Hmm, alright so it won't make any difference for me either.

Out of curiosity and if you have the time to elaborate, which changes do you not like?

Dark_castle

Sounds good especially tweaking encounter rate bit. If you absolutely need to do random encounter, this is a totally a must have.

OR better yet, completely remove random encounter system, where monster are visible in field, just like most modern JRPG.

— What were the things were you against?

Asano: It was things like “before leveling up a job, I want to know what abilities that job can learn” ...

Huh? I wonder why. GameFAQs to the rescue again.

Aeana

Sounds good especially tweaking encounter rate bit. If you absolutely need to do random encounter, this is a totally a must have.

OR better yet, completely remove random encounter system, where monster are visible in field, just like most modern JRPG.
With visible enemies, it'd be harder to adjust the rate. Without redesigning the dungeons, avoiding enemies would be really hard because the paths can be so narrow. So you can actually have more freedom this way with the way the rest of the game is designed.

That encounter rate changer sounds hot. That was always one of my favorite things in FF VIII and something I wish more games had.

KarmaCow

-Battles are 4 times as fast due to auto-battle and memorized battle inputs/strategies
-You can set encounter rate to 0. You can also increase it if you want to farm in a specific area.

Kinda worried about these two.

The first is hardly a unique feature but it sounds like a bandaid solution to a deeper problem with the combat system. I hope there are improvements beyond auto-battle stuff.
edit: Nevermind, just read the more indepth stuff about the combat. Good to see lots of small improvements to timings. The changes sounds pretty amazing actually.

The second sounds like something that can backfire easily. Holy Water/Repel are nice because it gets rid of the easy battles but doesn't let you just skip everything so you don't hit brick walls later (ideally). I don't like grinding in RPGs either so I'm kinda worried about messing with encounter rate on such a direct level. Hopefully the base level isn't wonky.

Soriku

Translation of the 100 improvements and those scrapped that was given out at a recent FamitsuLIVE event on Niconico.

http://hoshinotabi.tumblr.com/post/61083712490/bravely-default-for-the-sequel-complete-100

Take a look.

Wow there seems to be a good number of interface and tempo improvements they've made. Some notable balance improvements as well:

35. Using Default is too advantageous as while it stores BP it also has a very high defense. Add Default destroying abilites.

50. Raise the damage limit over 9999 for speed plays.

52. Add more abilities to mess with the enemy’s BP, this is Bravely Default after all there should be more ways to make BP continuous.

85. There aren’t a lot of bosses or midbosses that you really have to use Brave & Default for, make more.

zroid

Banned
missed this yesterday! awesome

whoa. this got implemeted? that's cool

12. Make is so you can see everything for Square Enix Members on the 3DS menu. (So you don’t have to check the site on a PC)

maybe that means we'll still have the web metagame stuff, just without the actual web interface...

35. Using Default is too advantageous as while it stores BP it also has a very high defense. Add Default destroying abilites

:eek:

they really went all-out on this thing
--
This list feels hilariously similar to feedback from beta testers, lol

Top Bottom